Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

Liamland's DQIX Mail and Tag Service

That's all pretty weird and funny at the same time.

Liam, I'm not sure if you'll know the answer to this question, but do any of the grottos you gave me have Equinox as a boss? It seems I deleted my first Treasure Map (with Equinox), and now I need him to complete the lvl15 Sage quest.

Can you write out the names and levels and I'll look up the boss information?  It's not likely, though.  I don't think I gave you many low level grottos, and Equinox is the lowest level for grotto bosses.

Here's another idea, though.  If you take your main character and then create a bunch of raw recruit side characters with low levels, and beat any grotto, you're likely to get a low level grotto for a chance to fight equinox again.

Another idea: if you have a second copy of the game you could start a second play-through.  Get at least as far as Zere Rocks and complete the Christopher Collapsus quest to get the Granite Tunnel of Woe level 1 grotto (since this is the same grotto for everyone.)  Now take Terry, your main character, and hop into your second game, via multiplayer (with the second character as the host), to help that second character beat Equinox.  The map is now sharable.  Canvasse and share the map to your main character, Terry.  Since Granite Tunnel of Woe lv. 1 is the same map for everyone, you'll now have another copy with a guaranteed shot to fight Equinox.  GToW is also only 3 floors, so it's a real easy play-through to get to him.

Edited by Liamland

Hey wintermute, I just went over your save file in the editor and it looks like you have a copy of gokuu's Ruby World of Glee, Lv. 68.  That, surprisingly, has Equinox as a boss, but unfortunately it's 15 floors to get to him.

Incidentally, this was a grotto map that was sent to me by MelonGX, who mentioned that it's an increased PKJ map, or a map with an increased number of Platinum King Jewels on a given floor.  I haven't personally verified the increased monster spawning, though.

Hey wintermute, I just went over your save file in the editor and it looks like you have a copy of gokuu's Ruby World of Glee, Lv. 68.  That, surprisingly, has Equinox as a boss, but unfortunately it's 15 floors to get to him.

Incidentally, this was a grotto map that was sent to me by MelonGX, who mentioned that it's an increased PKJ map, or a map with an increased number of Platinum King Jewels on a given floor.  I haven't personally verified the increased monster spawning, though.

That was actually the last map I was exploring, and I'm currently quick-saved on it. Weird coincidence, but cool nonetheless.

Speaking of the increased spawn rate, I'm at level 11 and haven't seen one PKJ yet (Which is why I came to this grotto to begin with). Do you know if it's only a specific floor?

Edited by wintermute

I'll ping MelonGX and see if he can tell me any more information about it.

I beleive the 15th floor of that Grotto is the increased PKJ floor.

Mind you, it's not *that* increased.  just slightly, because it cuts out the ... cyber spider spawn, I think.  But that's it.

Any of the MKS-only floor maps are way better for the EXP.

That sounds about right.  I remember playing through it and not really even noticing.

Hi Liam,

You said that you use the NDS adapter for adding these things. I am thinking of buying one myself, but I've read that the adapter doesn't work on the newer Windows. I don't know what you have on your PC, but is this true? The adapter is not terribly expensive, but I would hate to buy it and not be able to use it

Thanks!

Hi waterbear,

I actually just responded in the other thread.  I've read that you can boot the 64bit Windows 7 machine in a way where it will accept unsigned drivers and you can get a connection between the adaptor device and the PC that way.  Check out the Amazon reviews for some strategies on how to get it to work.

http://www.amazon.com/NDS-Adapter-Plus-Nintendo-Windows-Pc/dp/B00XVO0I36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439926462&sr=8-1&keywords=nds+adaptor+plus

I'd recommend going the NDS Adaptor route over the Action Replay, because there are some buggy AR codes out there and I've seen too many frantic topics on GameFAQs and other forums about people who had messed up their save files with AR, and how they were looking for some theoretical "reversal codes" to undo whatever damage they had done.

Good luck.  As mentioned, if you can get it to work I can walk you through some strategies for using the Save Editor to unlock DLC.

Liam

Edited by Liamland

Ok, thank you for responding! I think I am going to go for it. I can't wait to start playing DQ with all the wifi quests again.

If you got an old enough action replay, with the microsd slot and the save extractor, you can also extract your save files that way (back up the save twice... it [very rarely] messes up) and then put the micro sd in a computer and edit that way.

However, those are hard to find now, and the packaging is the same for them all, which is kinda misleader.

This year I played through DQIX, and luckily had a friend that had all the content on her card from back when you could still get it. Since she has shared it with me, I got a little paranoid about not being able to get the game again, so I started buying up cards to back up the DLC quests to. I have about 4-6 copies of DQIX currently (including my original) with all the DLC on them. Since I don't have access to an Action Replay or want to mess with taking the saves off the card and putting them back on, this has been a pretty easy way of doing it. I can find copies pretty easily around me for about $10 or so used.

4-6 copies with all of the DQVC Exclusives in their shops?

I've also never had trouble with backing up saves with the NDS Adaptor, either downloading or uploading onto the cart.  I have a folder of backed up saves labeled by date, so I can always go back to a previous time if something happens to my cart.

4-6 copies with all of the DQVC Exclusives in their shops?

I've also never had trouble with backing up saves with the NDS Adaptor, either downloading or uploading onto the cart.  I have a folder of backed up saves labeled by date, so I can always go back to a previous time if something happens to my cart.

All the guests and extra quests, but none of the DQVC items because I don't know how to get more. I have the ones in my base game, but only because they were given to me by a friend who had maxed out her stock before the wifi shops closed down.

There's a list of saves available for download on The Den's DQIX Save Files section.  Some of the save files are from MelonGX's DQVC back-up project.  He sent me the rest, which I still need to pass off to Woodus for upload (thanks for the reminder).  If you take 1 of your 6 games and swap in and out some of these save files you could theoretically get all the DQVC exclusives that way, without having to go the Save Editor route.

DQIX Save Files:

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/savefiles.php

Christmas cakes are required for one of the DLC-unlocked quests, but they have no Rare stars, so they are shareable.  If any of your current games have one, Christmas cakes can be passed off to another character with two carts/two DSs, in multiplayer (Pavo's rapportal.)

List of DQVC Exclusives, for reference.  All of the exclusive Items are shareable, natively, in multiplayer.  The weapons, armor and accessory are not:

http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/dqvc_exclusive.php

• Upvote 1

Is this service still available? Last summer a couple friends and I all played through the game together, and I had used action replay back then to unlock all the extra quests and guests, which had some side effects on the saves of a couple of our cartridges. We're thinking about deleting all of our saves and playing through it again together soon so we might be interested in something like this.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's still available.

I have the AR bug as well, based on someone's game transferring the bugged quest to me (as it had been to them).  I've been thinking about redoing my main game, myself--though it's a risk, because I might get a poorer rendering of the fountain and that's something you cannot edit using the Save Editor.

To prevent passing the AR bug to people who use the Mail and Tag service, I've been unlocking DLC quests via the save editor.

Of course, even if I do accomplish redoing my own save file and luck out with the same fountain, then I'm at risk to joining any of my friend's games and undoing all the work I just did.  I'll probably pass and just live with it.

#DQherpes

• Upvote 1

First off, that's a funny hashtag.

Second, what's the AR bug?

The AR code to unlock all the special quests (that were previously normally unlocked [incrementally, from release] by connecting to DQVC) is a little overzealous and has some side effects.  I believe it unlocks a quest that they 'disabled' and that wasn't supposed to be in the finished game, which has uh. stuff happen.

The AR bug that I'm talking about is an unbeatable quest that existed in the game only as a demo.  It's seemingly not a problem unless you find that character and add the quest.  I'll try and find more information about it, but on my initial search just now there are apparently quite a few different AR bugs relating to unlocking DLC, including guest book freezing and other side effects.  So many bug topics about AR is exactly why I don't use it.

Alright, so I guess now I just gotta figure out the best way to go about this. It's for me, my sister, and our friend, all restarting the saves at the same time. 

My first question would be how much could I get for the three of us by sending only one cart in? I believe you told me once that tagging other cartridges unlocks the extra quests in those games, but what about the special guests at the inn? or the DQVC shop items? Can I tag those along too?

My second question is about us restarting our saves. How early in the game does the save have to be for something like this to be "safe"? As far as I know I can just start a new file and immediately send it in, but I want to make sure that I don't have to: unlock all the features at the Stornway Inn first for example.

DLC-locked Quests transfer from the host to other players in multiplayer, once they return from the host's world.  Special guests and most of the DQVC Exclusives do not transfer.  There are a handful of items without rarity stars that you can transfer between games by handing them to other players in multiplayer.

I would recommend you get to at least Stornway, just so I can QA any inn upgrades or adjustments, but you don't necessarily need to have Sellma at the inn (you just won't be able to access the DQVC until she arrives [right after you reach Newid Isle, after the Coffinwell plot]).

According to RPG Wizard, the glitched quest is #255.  It doesn't appear on the list, which is why the DQIX Save Editor can't resolve the problem.  To access the unsolveable quest (if your game is affected by the AR bug), you need to talk to the ghost at The Bowhole.  If you have the AR quest glitch, you can avoid it by not talking to The Bowhole ghost.

My first question would be how much could I get for the three of us by sending only one cart in? I believe you told me once that tagging other cartridges unlocks the extra quests in those games, but what about the special guests at the inn? or the DQVC shop items? Can I tag those along too?

Shoot me a PM, and we'll talk.  Thanks.

That's interesting about the glitch/bug with AR. I figured you guys were gonna say the game would start doing crazy stuff or something.