Sign in to follow this  
Flute_Warrior

PCSX2 - DQV Widescreen Patch Updated

I don't know if it was just me, but the Widescreen patch for DQV PS2 didn't affect the overworld or battles, only villages, dungeons, etc. I also couldn't find another patch that would fix this, so I decided to make my own. So here is an updated widescreen patch for PCSX2 emulator, in case I wasn't the only one with this problem. If anyone can test it out to make sure it works on other machines, that would be great  :)

Download Link

DQVwide_world_zps8518b4ac.png

DQVwide_battle_zps31986499.png

• Upvote 1

;) Oooooh, nice screenshots there, looking pretty good so far :thumbsup:

OOOH!!! I can't wait to try this out.

What were the addresses you need to change? I'd like to make a 16:10 version because I usually play games on my 16:10 monitor. I tried to do it before, but couldn't find the right address so I"ve just been playing with 16:9 letterboxed.

Yea, this looks great. Emulation only, right?

Yeah, these patches are emulation only. Though theoretically it would be possible to do this with a game shark or even patch the ISO itself, but that is a lot more complicated.

No. If the game was built to support 16:9, you can pick that in the options. but most games were only 4:3 or had an in-game 16:9 option.

The patches are for 4:3 only games, but they are game specific. PCSX2 can't do that on it's own.

I'm not entirely sure about Dolphin, I think it has a 16:9 option, but you have to manually enable it and it doesn't support all games.

What were the addresses you need to change? I'd like to make a 16:10 version because I usually play games on my 16:10 monitor. I tried to do it before, but couldn't find the right address so I"ve just been playing with 16:9 letterboxed.

You can open the pnach (patch) file and just edit some digits to fit you screen. These are the addresses:

patch=1,EE,2081B5E0,extended,3F400000 (for towns, dungeons, etc)

patch=1,EE,2081A8D1,extended,003F4000  (for battles)
patch=1,EE,2081AB02,extended,56043F40  (for overworld)

Red is aspect ratio address, and Blue is the Value address you would edit. Simply change the F4 on all of them to F5 or whatever it is you may need. The original fat value is F8. I am assuming F4 (which is equivalent to 16:9) is too narrow for 16:10, since the extra aspect height stretches the image, so I am guessing F5 should be good enough. Editing the zero's on the right additionally edit the aspect by tiny amounts, if you wish to extremely fine tune-it, but I don't think its needed. This is for editing the horizontal aspect, so I am not sure if you are really going to need the address for editing the vertical aspect for 16:10, which I did find but didn't bother saving it.

The patch is for PCSX2 emulator only, but the raw address codes within the patch should work on cheating devices

if used alongside the game's master code (found separately), and only if the cheating device supports raw code. You can also edit the game ISO via a hex editor, and just edit the addresses manually to match the patch addresses, then burn the ISO to a disc and play on a modded console.

Don't Dolphin and PCSX2 automatically run games in HD + proper 16:9?

Like Erdrick The Hero mentioned, if the game does not support 16:9 natively, then all you get in PCSX2 is a stretched 4:3 image. These patches force 16:9 output into a 4:3 aspect and then PCSX2 just stretches this crammed output to a 16:9, giving proper widescreen.

then burn the ISO to a disc and play on a modded console.
Not an issue. Something tells me anyone playing DQV PS2 here is using a modded console, lol.

Like Erdrick The Hero mentioned, if the game does not support 16:9 natively, then all you get in PCSX2 is a stretched 4:3 image. These patches force 16:9 output into a 4:3 aspect and then PCSX2 just stretches this crammed output to a 16:9, giving proper widescreen.
I've never seen Dolphin not force a legitimate 16:9 resolution.

Did the DS release have anything extra over the PS2 one?

The DS release was the first (and currently only) release to include Debora. Otherwise, the PS2 version is FAR superior.

;) Yeah what Erdrick Said, it also added in some monsters like the Pod Party members and a few others if I recall right.

This is awesome Flute_Warrior! Thanks so much for doing this and providing it to us! I was actually really disappointed that the Overworld map was not included in the last widescreen patch. 

It emulates great for the most part.  There are a couple of potential glitches that people have had issues with, but they are easily prevented if you take care to start up the game "properly" (more details on that if needed, but that should suffice unless you decide to fire it up).

As for speed, it runs very fast on the emulator, even on older machines.  It's not nearly as resource-intensive as Dragon Quest 8 or similar games.

;) I've got a five year old Windows Vista Desktop with 3 Gig RAM, I wonder if I could run the ROM with these specs?

I'd be surprised if you couldn't.  You should give it a try.

;) I've got a five year old Windows Vista Desktop with 3 Gig RAM, I wonder if I could run the ROM with these specs?

I ran it on a 7 yr old (at the time, now it would be ~9 yrs old) XP machine with 2 gigs of ram and a 1998 Nvidia graphics card... I think it was a TNT but there's no actual label, I got the info from belarc advisor. It was a little slow in some places, but most of the time ran full speed.

;) Well then going from the replies here I should be able to run it with little to no issue at all. I don't know if there's an english translation patch out yet or not that, the only other thing stopping me from playing this would be not being able to read the text :P

;) I heard Kojiro's translation team was planning to work on that script but I don't think they ever got around to it, for that matter I don't think they ever finished the PSX Dragon Quest IV. Plus I've not been on the den for a good couple of years until like this past January so no I don't think I have heard of the translation project :P

;) I've got a five year old Windows Vista Desktop with 3 Gig RAM, I wonder if I could run the ROM with these specs?

It also depends on your processor and whether it has integrated graphics (more stress on the CPU), but if you have a dedicated graphics card, chances are you should run the game no problem  :thumbsup:

Does DQV emulate properly on PCSX2 or is there (noticeable) slowdown/glitches?

I think I ran into a freeze once early in the game. I don't remember exactly where, but I simply restarted the game and its been running smoothly with no problems since then with an average of 59.9 frames per second.The only times the game slows down is when I access my inventory or check out stats, but I realized this is caused by me running the game at 3x the native resolution. If I lower the resolution to 2x or less, it won't give me the slowdown, but I'm not going to let a few frame drops stop me from playing it at a beautiful 3x!

;) It should run pretty well on my Laptop, it was able to run Dragon Age Origins with no trouble at all.

You can open the pnach (patch) file and just edit some digits to fit you screen. These are the addresses:

patch=1,EE,2081B5E0,extended,3F400000 (for towns, dungeons, etc)

patch=1,EE,2081A8D1,extended,003F4000  (for battles)
patch=1,EE,2081AB02,extended,56043F40  (for overworld)

Red is aspect ratio address, and Blue is the Value address you would edit. Simply change the F4 on all of them to F5 or whatever it is you may need. The original fat value is F8. I am assuming F4 (which is equivalent to 16:9) is too narrow for 16:10, since the extra aspect height stretches the image, so I am guessing F5 should be good enough. Editing the zero's on the right additionally edit the aspect by tiny amounts, if you wish to extremely fine tune-it, but I don't think its needed. This is for editing the horizontal aspect, so I am not sure if you are really going to need the address for editing the vertical aspect for 16:10, which I did find but didn't bother saving it.

The patch is for PCSX2 emulator only, but the raw address codes within the patch should work on cheating devices

if used alongside the game's master code (found separately), and only if the cheating device supports raw code. You can also edit the game ISO via a hex editor, and just edit the addresses manually to match the patch addresses, then burn the ISO to a disc and play on a modded console.

Don't Dolphin and PCSX2 automatically run games in HD + proper 16:9?

*BUMP*

I knew I asked about this somewhere! Just found this again. How did you do the math for this? I'm very picky about aspect ratio, I want to get it at exactly 16:10.

I'm not sure if you will read this now, Flute_Warrior, but I was wondering if you submitted the patch to the PCSX2 project. I'm not sure how to submit it, but all the widescreen patches seem to be created by the community and collected together and distributed with the emulator.

Thanks so much for creating it by the way! I had actually played through a lot of the game with the old patch, tolerating the battles and world map, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I used the new patch...I guess I'll have to play it again one day. But at least I can do the last part with it.

Edited by flowsnake

*BUMP*

I knew I asked about this somewhere! Just found this again. How did you do the math for this? I'm very picky about aspect ratio, I want to get it at exactly 16:10.

Oh man, sorry I missed this a while back! Its been the longest since I actually even played with the patch, but do you still need this info? If so, gonna have to look into it on my other PC, which is currently not set up.

I'm not sure if you will read this now, Flute_Warrior, but I was wondering if you submitted the patch to the PCSX2 project. I'm not sure how to submit it, but all the widescreen patches seem to be created by the community and collected together and distributed with the emulator.

Thanks so much for creating it by the way! I had actually played through a lot of the game with the old patch, tolerating the battles and world map, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I used the new patch...I guess I'll have to play it again one day. But at least I can do the last part with it.

You are welcome! And no, I have not submitted the patch to the PCSX2 project. I had no interest in creating an account just to post something there, but feel free to share if you want.

*BUMP*

Oh man, sorry I missed this a while back! Its been the longest since I actually even played with the patch, but do you still need this info? If so, gonna have to look into it on my other PC, which is currently not set up.

You are welcome! And no, I have not submitted the patch to the PCSX2 project. I had no interest in creating an account just to post something there, but feel free to share if you want.

I'd really appreciate if you could give me the info. I understand if you aren't able to, but I'd really like to play with the full resolution of my main monitor without stretching.