Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

Dragon Quest X - Fan Translation Discussion

I'm beginning to research how I could possibly play this.  The obvious problem is that I wouldn't understand any of the storyline or dialogue, and might need to purchase a new keyboard or figure out how to type in Japanese.  But people who do not understand Japanese are somehow playing it, and hopefully enjoying it.

How feasible would it be for a fan translation project to create a translation shell or patch for this game, at some point before the servers are taken down, years from now?  My concerns are not being able to play it before its time is done--as we are about to see happen to some folks later this month with the DLC content for DQIX.  I don't want to hold my breath that DQX will be released in the US, since DQ's US presence is typically always in question.

I've been thinking about this a lot since I started listening to the Dragon's Den Slime Time Podcasts.

Well, I can tell you it would be best to work on a patch for the PC version. Easier file access, easier patching, and no need to mod a Wii/U.

If you (or somebody) finds out where the text is hidden, and decrypt it if need be, the text is probably in ASCII, Unicode, or (more likely) Shift-JIS. These are text formats that are quite common for PCs (though s-jis is specifically common for japanese programs, US copies of windows can handle it natively I believe). This should make it easy to change text, though if it's encrypted we'll have to take care of that. (I'm sure that there are at least some people here that could help with that.)

The biggest problems will be fighting updates. Less than a week after I ripped resources from DQ1 iOS, the app was updated with all those files in an encrypted archive of some sort. SE is a huge D-bag.

While I have only played on official servers past mmos like Ultima Online and I think Star Wars Galaxies had fan run servers.  They even have things like they only use updates to a certain point to stay true to a certain era in the game.  I don't know how they get away with this.  In Star Wars Galaxies Lucasfilm MIGHT even allow it as the official game is over. 

Edited by Slimeknight

I see I'm not the only one considering import. Problem  with the PC version is that you need a Japanese address. I heard that on WiiU you simply need to purchase points.

Could it be possible that someone go on that website that has people fund their projects(the name escapes me at this moment) and try to publish this game?

Edited by Slimeknight

Could it be possible that someone go on that website that has people fund their projects(the name escapes me at this moment) and try to publish this game?

That has been suggested but I believe the consensus is that it wouldn't work.

I see I'm not the only one considering import. Problem  with the PC version is that you need a Japanese address. I heard that on WiiU you simply need to purchase points.

Just find the address of some public building in Japan. You also need a japanese email address but if you have a Gmail you can use your existing address, just add a .jp.

If my gmail was: superawesomemegadude@gmail.com

I would change it to: superawesomemegadude.jp@gmail.com

And the jp website would accept it, but gmail would forward to: superawesomemegadude@gmail.com

You can use any email address it doesn't need to be Japanese.

Kickstarter, Indie Go-Go, etc., but no, that won't work. Square Enix would shut it down fast, because it's money going to people outside the company working on their IP. Even though it's an online game, to translate a modern DQ title is like writing a novel. I've been working on a fan translation on an off, and while I love it, it's got to take a backseat to everything else I've got going on career-wise.

Well, I was thinking that with Kickstarter you would get the money and ask Square-Enix to publish the game in the U.S.  Didn't Eidos publish Dragon Warrior 1+2 for Gameboy color in the U.S?

What prevents them from abusing Kickstarter like most companies/producer that certainly don't need to get a project crowdfunded do?

Most people quit Penny Arcade after the silly Dickwolves debacle. For me it was their disgusting abuse of Kickstarter. I knew Robert Khoo was an unethical snake, but I'd never seen such a disgusting display since Final Fantasy ATB. It was even mentioned in the Stripped documentary, which I find to be a serious dark mark on the movie, sending the wrong message to aspiring creators.

For a company to use Kickstarter is...I don't know. For companies like XSeed or Atlus, who make very niche titles, it's good to see if the demand is there and if it would be profitable. Still, an established company shouldn't be e-begging.

Well, I was thinking that with Kickstarter you would get the money and ask Square-Enix to publish the game in the U.S.  Didn't Eidos publish Dragon Warrior 1+2 for Gameboy color in the U.S?

Square Enix doesn't spend the money they have wisely, so we probably shouldn't give them a bunch of money, since it will likely go to magic beans. Eidos published Dragon Warrior Monsters while EAI was still setting up shop. Dragon Warrior I+II was EAI's first title.

Sooo.... Did everybody lose interest?

Or is everybody nervous now that pant-less Dwaine is here?

E3 is Square Enix's last chance to turn things around, if no DQ announcements then, than their wont be ever.  Gotta say though, FFXIV Really saved them. As well as Bravely Default. 

Oh it did. It definitely made their money back.  Funny thing is theirs more U.S players subscribing to it than JP Players.  

Oh it did. It definitely made their money back. Funny thing is theirs more U.S players subscribing to it than JP Players.

If only this could be the case with DQX...

Oh it did. It definitely made their money back. Funny thing is theirs more U.S players subscribing to it than JP Players.

If only this could be the case with DQX...

Well there is this:

http://gematsu.com/2014/05/square-enix-considering-dragon-quest-x-localization

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/465775838881779712

Still... no official announcement.

We should buy shares in Square-Enix and then as shareholders demand that Dragon Quest X be brought to the United States.

It's posts like these that piss me off when the, and I hate using this term, game journalists don't do their job properly and help spread misinformation by not reporting the story correctly. Here is Square Enix's badly designed slide from their earnings report thingie.

square5mal6p.png

See that big $#!&ing title that says "primarily in Asia?" This is not a slide that's open for interpritation.

Dwaine, just make your own topic, sticky it for a month, and lock (not delete) anything that refers to DQX coming to the west thanks to those idiotic gamesites.

Honestly, I look at that slide in a more positive sense than you Dwaine.

Consider the wording, "Expansion to overseas markets is under consideration." They don't word it as Asia, and if it were only Asia, the title of the slide would say "Expansion of Overseas Businesses in Asia", and not primarily. I'm not saying it means we should blow the trumpets and roll out the red carpet for a release definitely, but I find it interesting how they word it as they do, and don't vaguely mention their releases anywhere else apart from FFXIV, with the other games all having specific regions that they're planned to release in.

And besides, we already know that they're aware of the West being interested, so it's something to not tie to noose to, but something to look at with a more positive view.

Edit: I'm also sure the Game Journalists are perfectly aware that it's not worded as they think it is, and are just baiting views as always.

Edited by Proshall

They have it under a FFXIV release for China, and under it? More China.

CHINA CHINA CHINA.

I also saw it in a more positive light than Dwaine but I did not have the courage to speak up.  I say we should combine both of my ideas.  We go to Kickstarter in a mad ploy to get a lot of money for Square-Enix stock shares and initiate a hostile take-over.

Cross posting this from another thread to clarify.

To us overseas means NA/EU. To them overseas often means other Asian territories with NA often being referred to as the Western market.

You can look at it in a sunshine and farts light, but this isn't some teasing press release. It's cold facts from their fiscal year report. If you read the whole thing, it also states which titles are "overseas" and "Western."

We go to Kickstarter in a mad ploy to get a lot of money for Square-Enix stock shares and initiate a hostile take-over.

This would never happen.

Edited by Dwaine

It's posts like these that piss me off when the, and I hate using this term, game journalists don't do their job properly and help spread misinformation by not reporting the story correctly. Here is Square Enix's badly designed slide from their earnings report thingie.

square5mal6p.png

See that big $#!&ing title that says "primarily in Asia?" This is not a slide that's open for interpritation.

As long as you are referring to the sources being crap, I agree. I took a look through the official slides and wrote it off as another one of those things the media just got plain wrong.

Should've known better. A fair bit of those media outlets live in a world where DQX v2.0 is a newly-released enhanced version of DQX and not an expansion pack that requires the original game to play.

They have it under a FFXIV release for China, and under it? More China.

CHINA CHINA CHINA.

FFXIV's plot must be more boring than the average modern TV show or something if it's seriously getting released in China.

Because that means it includes NOTHING relating to "downplaying" dictatorships, corrupt politicians/royalty, etc. So... it has nothing remotely Final Fantasy-related at all.

I can't think of a Final Fantasy that didn't at least have a corrupt King/Queen or something. Similar with DQ.

Having played and beat the entire story of Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn I can safely say that it felt VERY final fantasy to me. The story was by no means award winning but it was entertaining and flowed nicely. Which is a lot more than I could say for about 90% of the mmos I've played.

Imo it was amazing and I would be playing it right now if it wasn't for the sub.

Edited by Soulerisn

Dude, what you know about China is pretty antiquated. They allow a lot more stuff now.