A DQ Board Game - How awesome would that be?

...okay, that's a trick question.  The answer, of course, is very awesome.  I imagine it would be a live action board game version somewhere between Fortune Street and the DQIII remake Pachisi boards.

We already talked about how unfeasible it would be to front cash for such a DQ fan-project (or the original context was about hiring a team to sub DQX or the remake of VII.)

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29339&p=383571

However, a team of people created a board game for the Megaman series.  Here's the Kickstarter project a friend and I are currently backing for it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1821440755/mega-mantm-the-board-game

The possible arguments against doing something like for DQ are:

• To do this illegally would warrant a cease and desist order.
  • One would need to handle licensing fees, possibly hire a staff (some of the original arguments against may have only applied to hiring developers for localization.)  Does anyone have any idea on what the licensing fees would be to borrow Toryiama's images for such a game?  (Probably quite a bit.)

Now think about how awesome it would be?  Even if it was a straight-up port of the game Hero Quest, or something similar to Talisman, where there are towns you can visit, and an ultimate dungeon you're striving for, it would still be really awesome to just have the Dragon Quest branding on something that is fun to play, outside the video game series.

Play as a monster and your task is to take down the heroes and their party.  Play as a hero, and your task is to find and defeat the monster team and their final boss.

Expansions could include: Midenhall, Cannock, and Moonbrooke, figurines as well as other DQ heroes, and monsters.

Worst case scenario, the project is too expensive and doesn't work.  Best case scenario, it becomes a hit in the board game community, driving fans to seek out the games, suddenly there's a surge of interest in Dragon Quest, Square Enix scrambles to meet the needs of translating all their games to meet the US demand.  It's a long shot, but it's good to have dreams...

But anyway, what would you like to see in a DQ board game?

Damn...now I'm thinking about creating this game, even if just for myself...

Incidentally, I meant to post this in the generic DQ/DW board, but I was multi-tasking with several Dragon's Den windows open, and put it here by mistake.

This is a lot, a LOT more doable. Why not send SE a request to use the IP for this? 

Creating the game is not within my skillset, but I have a lot of ideas for it.  Sounds like Square-Enix might not be crazy about the idea, if they canned the Chrono Trigger boardgame project.  Still, if they began production on a fan-game with the intention of selling it, and they didn't get Square-Enix's permission, I completely understand why that's a bad idea.

What I need is the board game equivalent of RPG Maker.

Edited by Liamland

How can they shut down something like that? If I made a board game and shipped to all of you, what the heck could they do?

Was is a Kickstart or something?

Likely a Kickstarter.

The thing is, Capcom doesn't want bad press. You can do pretty much anything right now involving Mega Man, as long as you get the OK.

Squeenix? You're gonna have to flip a coin and email them, and be specific, and ask for a proper contact so you don't get form-lettered.

• 2 years later...

If it can be done, I'm sold! I saw on a forum about DQifying board games to make them better.

Examples of which were a version of Sorry with Slimes and redoing HeroQuest DQ style.

Yes, this forum. 😂
  • Upvote 3

Yeah, here was the Round 1 voting topic with the entrants

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34328

Guys, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant "forum" in the way the software does, as in this one is the "dragon Quest IX" forum, the other one is the "Quests" forum, and so on.

Although I cannot deny I did smile when I read his post. :)

• 4 weeks later...

If they're taking money for it in any form, including a Kickstarter you can be certain Squenix will send a cease and desist.  Squenix is pretty hardline about their IP.  Hell, even if people don't take any sort of money for the project odds are Squenix will still send a cease and desist because that's just what they do.  They've very protective of IPs they publish.  The only way you can avoid it is if they never find out about the project.

Edited by Enclave
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually tried to make a dq board game once, which ended up turning into pen-and-paper DQ. I'd totally back a kickstarter or help with any other type of funding.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be so down for helping with this, with donations or even design help.  I'm no pro designer, but as a child I made an attempt at a knock-off of DQ in board game form.  I had the tropes of the series down pat, but the actual mechanics and math I floundered at.  Still.. you have to forgive the fumbling of my pup self. I WAS 11 at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually tried to make a dq board game once, which ended up turning into pen-and-paper DQ. I'd totally back a kickstarter or help with any other type of funding.

A pen-and-paper Dragon Quest tabletop RPG sounds like it would be really fun! I mean the setup for III and IX feels pretty close already to playing a Dungeons & Dragons campaign.

• 7 months later...

If it can be done, I'm sold! I saw on a forum about DQifying board games to make them better.

Examples of which were a version of Sorry with Slimes and redoing HeroQuest DQ style.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

"DQifying"

Someone that can delete this, Plz do

Edited by ActualSomeoneYT
On 10/6/2016 at 12:22 AM, Aphelion said:

On 9/2/2016 at 5:40 AM, clusa said:

A pen-and-paper Dragon Quest tabletop RPG sounds like it would be really fun! I mean the setup for III and IX feels pretty close already to playing a Dungeons & Dragons campaign.

I don't know what III is like. I play IX on the DSIXL and I don't see how it really is like a D&D, although I've never played D&D so don't trust me that much.

Edit: I've played D&D and it is like DQ except for the battle function, I mean the swirl thing and the "Monsters Draw Near"

Edited by ActualSomeoneYT