Plattym3

Culinary creations!

Made a boatload of pasta sauce yesterday (2 gallons). Had an extra Mason jar for beer! cf8496f3e449e115cfaf0adc9ba5bb58.jpgc068d3b4175bfd7a744d3c2db12af8c3.jpga85729630fa041ba1d11cf6f8920706a.jpg20a4f80ff5554b1c9ffc155750dea975.jpgad88859582b1526bd2c13a768510f549.jpgd0b9013657c73d60300d717c096dd485.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woodus said:

Here is what we do different for that recipe (we make 5 1-gallon ziplog bags of it each Christmas season for treat trays). We leave out the nuts and bagel chips since most people we give it to just pick around those anyway, but we do add Bugles to the recipe. And we freeze each gallon bag for a couple weeks (minimum, longer is better). It seems to get the flavors to spread thru the whole batch better.

I’ll have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing Woodus. 😎👍

8 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Made a boatload of pasta sauce yesterday (2 gallons). Had an extra Mason jar for beer! cf8496f3e449e115cfaf0adc9ba5bb58.jpgc068d3b4175bfd7a744d3c2db12af8c3.jpga85729630fa041ba1d11cf6f8920706a.jpg20a4f80ff5554b1c9ffc155750dea975.jpgad88859582b1526bd2c13a768510f549.jpgd0b9013657c73d60300d717c096dd485.jpg

I’ve wanted to try making homemade sauce for awhile now. Same with homemade salsa, but with the salsa I want something thicker and not so watery like some homemade salsas I’ve had.

• Like 1

This was the new recipe of the week from yesterday. I meant to post it last night, but better late than never!

Recipe #3: Beefy Tortellini

4vhXh8e.jpg

zfPVlVO.jpg

This one was pretty good. It had a good mix of flavors thanks to the sauce I used (a garlic roasted parmesan blend) and the mushrooms added a nice bite. I also included the optional red pepper flakes, but I didn’t notice a huge difference in taste from it. Topping the dish with the cheese was really good too!

I accidentally didn’t cook it as long as I needed due to the tortellini. I’ve never cooked tortellini before, and I misread The instructions. It was done though as the noodles were tender and everything was hot, but the cheese in the noodles wasn’t as hot as the rest of the dish when it came time to eat. I think I just didn’t cook it long enough for that part of the noodles to be fully heated, but they were still good. I either need to cook it a while longer or cook the noodles a little ahead of time like the hamburger and then mix everything together.

So I didn’t make a new recipe last week...oops. This week I’m making two new ones to try, the latter being for a Super Bowl Party I’m going to on Sunday. Anyway, here’s the make up recipe for this week:

Recipe #4: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Now I know that’s nothing really exciting, but here’s the thing: I don’t bake. No cookies, no cake, no nothing like that. But since I had the craving for a cookie these past few weeks, I thought I should give it a try. Found an easy chocolate chip cookie recipe, and they turned out well. Nothing really fancy, only thing I did different was I used half a block of shortening since I didn’t have two sticks of butter, as I was told shortening can be used as a substitute.

With the cold, the new recipe for this week will likely be a soup. I love my soup recipes, and I want some more for my collection!

Posted (edited)

So...New Year’s resolution was to do a new recipe each week. Stuff happened in February that discouraged me from continuing after making two new recipes (both of which aren’t worth mentioning, they were basically appetizers that were meh) and last month I was focused on trying to find a new job I didn’t think about the recipe stuff.

Today, I broke that and tried a new recipe. I don’t know if I can keep up with a new recipe each week, but I’ll do what I can. With that, here’s the new one I tried:

FF07035A-8F75-44F9-A680-5337BEF71238.thumb.jpeg.d527c055f7f8a6fad6c8b44daa862a95.jpeg3E4586EF-4D67-471B-BA09-40523BD67A66.thumb.jpeg.7ce2e7e8b31d831fc9fd73d26547b635.jpeg

It seems like an odd combo of stuff (particularly the cream of mushroom, honey, and horseradish) but man, it was GOOD. I cubed my potatoes rather small and had the soup cook for about 5 hours, and it was done and plenty hot.

The mixture of ingredients was really unique, creating a great combination of flavors. Whenever I make this one again I’m going to substitute chicken for the turkey sausage, as I thought the sausage was the weakest part of the recipe. Still good, but it wasn’t quite as flavorful as everything else.

Definitely going to make this one again in the future.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

New recipe time! This time I made homemade punch courtesy of my grandma’s recipe. It’s always a refreshing drink for the hot weather, and since summer is around the corner I figured today would be a good day to give it a try and make it.

spacer.png

• Like 1

So one of my favorite things to do every World Cup is cook dishes from the teams USA takes on. This may be the 5th or 6th summer I've done this in the past decade (thanks for #$*!ing it up last summer men's team, who failed to even qualify). I've somehow miraculously avoided hearing Tuesday's score and have it on tape to watch now. Since they're playing Thailand, I figured I'd go fancy and make some Thai red curry shrimp and serve it over an interesting side: black squid ink dyed pasta. Guess what that pasta tasted like? Pasta. Rather disappointing, but I'd received it as a gift and the shrimp were good, so game on! 7d5651633e91a60852b831bd7e8ab448.jpg63364aeb09aad46647a688632100c026.jpg

Posted (edited)

New recipe for the week: No Name Given Mexican Styled Soup!

80AC38FB-BAA6-4BFB-A689-5C8C524265A8.thumb.jpeg.e53429c80e4e8d0c84c9a020a67cb026.jpeg

I was sent this recipe from a family member, and currently I’m cooking it as I type this. I’m using chicken tenders from the grocery store and cooking them on the stove top (while shred once finished cooking) instead of a can of chicken like the recipe says.

We’ll see how it is!

Edit: Okay, it was pretty good! Pretty tasty mix of ingredients. It’s got that Mexican taste but not quite as strong as my tortilla soup recipe.

I think if it was thickened up some it would make for a great dip for chips. As is, it’s more of a soup to top with Fritos corn chips and cheese, and it’s plenty good as is too. Definitely give this one a try if you like soup/Mexican style dishes.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

On 6/15/2019 at 7:16 PM, Plattym3 said:

So one of my favorite things to do every World Cup is cook dishes from the teams USA takes on. This may be the 5th or 6th summer I've done this in the past decade (thanks for #$*!ing it up last summer men's team, who failed to even qualify). I've somehow miraculously avoided hearing Tuesday's score and have it on tape to watch now. Since they're playing Thailand, I figured I'd go fancy and make some Thai red curry shrimp and serve it over an interesting side: black squid ink dyed pasta. Guess what that pasta tasted like? Pasta. Rather disappointing, but I'd received it as a gift and the shrimp were good, so game on! 7d5651633e91a60852b831bd7e8ab448.jpg63364aeb09aad46647a688632100c026.jpg

You know, I’ve wondered what dark pasta like that would taste like. I’ve seen it in a few places (mainly specialty stores) but I assumed they would be flavored. Nothing strong and overbearing, but at least the noodles would taste like something. Kind of weird to hear they don’t have a flavor.

Still, that does look pretty tasty. I’d be interested in trying to make it (minus the black pasta).