Plattym3

Culinary creations!

14 days!? That's some real dedication there! I can't stand most food after 4 days in a row.

Good thing I'm young with an amazing metabolism haha! 

14 days!? That's some real dedication there! I can't stand most food after 4 days in a row.

Good thing I'm young with an amazing metabolism haha!

I've had rice cakes with peanut butter for 4 months of lunch at work. $1000 prize for greatest body weight % loss has been a huge motivation.

I made cheeseburger soup for lunch. I haven't had it in awhile, so it's been really good. The trick was to pre-cook the potatoes for a few minutes so they don't have to sit as long in the pot with everything else, otherwise you have to wait a lot longer for the soul to get done.

I made cheeseburger soup for lunch. I haven't had it in awhile, so it's been really good. The trick was to pre-cook the potatoes for a few minutes so they don't have to sit as long in the pot with everything else, otherwise you have to wait a lot longer for the soul to get done.

Your soul was cooked & done for the second you made that post

The soul is a key part of the dish.

(Seriously how did I miss that typo? I meant soup. D'oh!)

• Upvote 1

I made a pretty good Chinese/stir fry dish last week. All you do is take ground pork, cabbage, soy sauce, some minced garlic and ground ginger and mix it all together after the pork has cooked (without draining the pork meat), serve it over rice and top with a little sesame oil (though not to much because the oil can overtake the flavor) and you have an easy and filling meal. I'm debating to alter the recipe next time and add some extra veggies or something.

Made onigiri for the first time! It looks terrible but tastes pretty good. I used pickled plum for the center (none of it stayed in the center because I'm a dingus) and used nori komi furikake in the rice. I'm going to try to use less rice next time.

Edited by Imutone
  • Upvote 1

When I have enough money, I should make a gibdo steak!

Got an Instant Pot on Prime Day a couple weeks back. Used it probably 10 times in 14 days. LOVE LOVE LOVE the damn thing. It's a digital pressure cooker. Have done raw beans and frozen chicken to shredded perfection in 1 hour! Other highlights have been:

1. Perfectly sauced pasta in 1 pot that I walked away from and it did it all itself.

2. Mini cheesecakes

3. Chocolate Lava Cakes

4. A beef schwarma and rice dish that was a 6/10 that my wife and I thought was great enough to fiddle with and 2 nights later make a 10/10 lamb schwarma & rice meal

f88c86353c7c13631502f06f2cfec8e0.jpg4a19c54a0d6599d2882cd5f7c4bd40cd.jpgaa4181b8965c3129a5d793b12e7e76f7.jpg1d7b6e50a23662f748e02f7e7894b70e.jpg

I'm reviving this topic to talk about a new creation I've made: chicken tortilla soup.

One of my aunt's has a really good recipe for the soup, and for weeks now I've wanted to make it due to the cold weather. It's been cooking in the crockpot for about 3 hours now, and after sampling it...I think I did pretty good!

I did make a few substitutions, such as using chili beans rather than kidney beans, and using tomato juice rather than chicken broth in order to keep the tomato taste along with the tomato sauce and enchilada sauce I threw in.

Next time, I'm going to use my own cooked chicken rather than canned chicken. Otherwise, it's great!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gonna use this topic instead of a new one for my recipe a week New Years resolution. I’m a day late posting this:

Recipe #1: Quick Fix Chili - Not a terribly exciting recipe, but with New Years being at an odd time of the year (aka the middle of the week) and with late shifts at work it almost slipped my mind!

Anyway, this was simple: I took a pound and a half of hamburger, cooked it in a larger pan, then once finished/drained I threw in a can of chili beans, 2 pinches of garlic powder, and a 2 cans of tomato juice. Normally I make a hearty, hot(ish) chili with a lot more stuff in it, but I just improvised something on Friday night since I was tired. It was still pretty good though.

Rather tame way to start my new recipe stuff, but this week I’m planning on turkey sausage crockpot recipe I found. 

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

And now I want to pull out my Instant Pot and make stuff I posted about 1.5 years ago!

12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

And now I want to pull out my Instant Pot and make stuff I posted about 1.5 years ago!

My culinary influence knows no boundaries.

What was it you want to make again? I’d love to hear what it is.

I'd love some lamb schwarma. Hmmm... need lunch, maybe just slather some pasta in Indian or Asian spices.

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
8 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I'd love some lamb schwarma. Hmmm... need lunch, maybe just slather some pasta in Indian or Asian spices.

I’ve never eaten lamb, let alone schwarma. Looking up what it looks like, it does look good. Not sure how well I’d like the taste of lamb.

I’ve never eaten lamb, let alone schwarma. Looking up what it looks like, it does look good. Not sure how well I’d like the taste of lamb.
https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-ground-beef-rice-shwarma/

I helped fix this recipe. Made it a few times and kept posting and emailing the author. Finally she doubled a few things in the recipe I kept suggesting and others also liked. I do it with ground up lamb. Have you ever had a Gyro sandwich?

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

https://twosleevers.com/instant-pot-ground-beef-rice-shwarma/

I helped fix this recipe. Made it a few times and kept posting and emailing the author. Finally she doubled a few things in the recipe I kept suggesting and others also liked. I do it with ground up lamb. Have you ever had a Gyro sandwich?

No, I haven’t. The few times I’ve had the option I see something else on the menu I like and order that instead.

No, I haven’t. The few times I’ve had the option I see something else on the menu I like and order that instead.
My girlfriend introduced me to them 24 years ago. So good. They're mainly a mixture of lamb and beef. Good gateway meat to ground lamb. I don't enjoy lamb unless it's ground and got a good spice with it.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
13 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

My girlfriend introduced me to them 24 years ago. So good. They're mainly a mixture of lamb and beef. Good gateway meat to ground lamb. I don't enjoy lamb unless it's ground and got a good spice with it.

Interesting. I’ll have to give it a try then. The sandwich place I sometimes go to called Which Wich has gyros on their menu as a specialty. Next time I go there I’ll try and remember to give the Gyro a try.

However, I make no promises if they have the Turkey Island Club on the menu. That sandwich is the best.

• Like 1

The only thing I usually make is desserts though I'm getting used to making certain things like spaghetti. The one thing that stumps me is both my mom and sister seem to think I make no bake cookies and peanut butter chocolate fudge better then my mom. To me they both taste the same as what my mom makes.

Ended up making some easy pasta with whatever was expiring in the fridge plus olive oil, garlic, and Greek seasoning. 72cc2d94d11a94b6f4f457dd9e895ca9.jpg

Time for the 2nd recipe. I wanted to try a soup recipe since I love soups, and found this one in a mini-cookbook of crockpot recipes. I’ll provide the image of what it looks like and the recipe below. With all that said:

Recipe #2: Mexican Cheese Soup

8D07C445-E7EC-4858-B7D1-3292CCDD613D.thumb.jpeg.96f99aced87587560851fc244f73ce6a.jpegB8FBE011-1B5B-42D5-9937-0AF237C7528A.thumb.jpeg.5e6fe66e9632ee901b9e2acf18eec6ba.jpeg

The soup was really good, especially with how it’s suddenly gotten cold. It’s a creamy soup thanks to the velvetta cheese (which the book humorously calls pasteurized process cheese product), and the mixture of ingredients makes for a (somewhat) spicy and warming soup. I used Fritos corn chips and crumbled them into my bowl instead of using tortilla dip chips, but I think this soup would double as a great dip with chips. That’s why I assume the tortilla chips are optional anyway.

This was a very good soup. I’d give it a 8/10. I feel you could add some things to make it a little different depending on your preference (such as adding other beans or replacing the beef with beans if you want something a bit more vegetarian but still want the proteins), but by following the recipe exactly it’s a great dish for cold days.

Note: I put it in on low, but it didn’t really need to cook for 4 to 5 hours; 3 was just right for cooking on low. I also didn’t put in the jalapeño since I don’t care for them much, but I imagine it would give the soup a nice extra kick to it.

• Like 1

A snack recipe I tried out today. This won’t count as a recipe for next week, so we’ll call this a .5 new recipe. Anyway....

Recipe #2.5: Homemade Chex Mix recipe:

77E91AE5-591A-425B-83CE-458B57128209.thumb.jpeg.a012ddd42b3c944576275c35bb25d71f.jpeg

I enjoy check mix, but never tried making a homemade batch. I had most everything for it, but didn’t have the onion powder of mixed nuts. So I ended up substituting by sprinkling some garlic salt on the mix as it cooked, and used Cheez-its in place of the nuts. I used the oven prep style, sprinkling on the garlic salt at the 30 minute mark.

It turns out alright. I think it needed some more of the sauce mixture to evenly coat everything. As in on the recipe, it didn’t quite spread equally amongst all the pieces. It’s alright, but I feel it’s missing something in the sauce mixture (not counting the onion powder I didn’t have) to help zest up the Chex mix, and I think adding some Bugles into the mixture and some M&Ms (after it has finished baking in the oven) would be good in it.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 3:53 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

A snack recipe I tried out today. This won’t count as a recipe for next week, so we’ll call this a .5 new recipe. Anyway....

Recipe #2.5: Homemade Chex Mix recipe:

77E91AE5-591A-425B-83CE-458B57128209.thumb.jpeg.a012ddd42b3c944576275c35bb25d71f.jpeg

I enjoy check mix, but never tried making a homemade batch. I had most everything for it, but didn’t have the onion powder of mixed nuts. So I ended up substituting by sprinkling some garlic salt on the mix as it cooked, and used Cheez-its in place of the nuts. I used the oven prep style, sprinkling on the garlic salt at the 30 minute mark.

It turns out alright. I think it needed some more of the sauce mixture to evenly coat everything. As in on the recipe, it didn’t quite spread equally amongst all the pieces. It’s alright, but I feel it’s missing something in the sauce mixture (not counting the onion powder I didn’t have) to help zest up the Chex mix, and I think adding some Bugles into the mixture and some M&Ms (after it has finished baking in the oven) would be good in it.

Here is what we do different for that recipe (we make 5 1-gallon ziplog bags of it each Christmas season for treat trays). We leave out the nuts and bagel chips since most people we give it to just pick around those anyway, but we do add Bugles to the recipe. And we freeze each gallon bag for a couple weeks (minimum, longer is better). It seems to get the flavors to spread thru the whole batch better.

• Like 2