Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Steam group : Official game?

Game of choice for Steam Group  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm cross-posting this to Steam as well, but I can do a poll here, so...

I'd like to get a proper game going for the Steam group. This might end up meaning hosting, etc, but one step at a time.

My idea is a builder game, like Terraria or Starbound. Terraria is kind of limited, but with Starbound we can set up a homebase planet where we all build on, and we can go wherever for supplies and resources. Terraria, we would have to have a "hub world" where we do our building, and "adventure worlds" for exploring.

With Terraria, I know how to use the world editors and such for it, and I can make sure NPC housing and such is in whatever world, Starbound however, as I said, is limitless, so...

There's also the option for other titles, but I know Terraria and Starbound work on almost any PC, and "pirating" works for folk that don't have it. (( Terraria is routinely on sale for a couple bucks, so. ))

Thoughts?

BTW, on May 3rd, the decision will be made! :P And I will be putting together a fund/etc to host server for whichever game we choose.

Edited by Ryu

Sign me up.  :wd_coolslime: 

;) Terraria is basically 2D Minecraft isn't it?

I have terraria but honestly I haven't really played it more than about 20 minutes though. I don't have starbound yet, but I have a friend who said he'd gift it to me as a late birthday gift.

I honestly would prefer Minecraft, but it's not actually on steam (though you can add it to your launcher like any other non-steam game) and not all computers can run it decently. (Most almost-modernish compys and later can though)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I don't like Minecraft too much. Not enough weaponry.

It has much more content than Minecraft.

;) I know nothing of Terraria aside from a slight snippet a friend of mine showed me, at least I THINK the game was Terraria anyway.

It is. Starbound is the same thing only with better gear and you can space travel to other planets. Plus it has a little story mode.

Edited by TrumpRight

As for main post, if you wish to contribute to hosting, my PayPal link is in my signature. :P We will be getting external server hosting for whichever we choose.

;) I think I saw a little bit of Starbound when Mutahar was reading a Creepypasta, he does have a couple of videos of him playing it too but I haven't watched those.

Minecraft is a build-in-3D game that works for a time, but gets boring (for me.) It is -huge-, and while it has a limited set of things you can build (( No toliets T_T )) the game world is literally infinite.

Terraria is a 2D building game with a decent adventure mode, and plenty more to build than Minecraft. However, it is restricted to one randomly-generated world. You can have a -hub- world for yourself and friends to play on, but getting all the items and such requires you to make multiple worlds and clean their clocks.

Starbound is Terraria 2 in my eyes. Building, more buildables, and space travel. It's also as mod-friendly as Minecraft.

;) I find Minecraft to be enjoyable for something to do on like a Rainy Day or something or something to do while waiting for a new game to come out.

You should say that on a Minecraft forum, Slime Master. See what happens to you. :P

;) I'd rather not, don't need any hardcore Minecraft fanboy neckbeards threatening to lynch me. :P Besides, cleaning up brain meats off my tire iron can be tiresome :evillaugh:

Besides, cleaning up brain meats off my tire iron can be tiresome :evillaugh:

WTF?

;) I'd rather not, don't need any hardcore Minecraft fanboy neckbeards threatening to lynch me. :P Besides, cleaning up brain meats off my tire iron can be tiresome :evillaugh:

... THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

;) Erdrick: a little joke on my part :P

Ryu: Seriously? Are you actually seriously jealous of my post count or something? That post has NOTHING to do with your own topic

I actually misposted that.

I still prefer Starbound to Minecraft.

;) Ahhh, okay then. I've made mistakes like that before too, usually due to either not paying attention or being tired.

On my end it was simply the fact I had several tabs open (and several of those several were Den topics I was quoting.).

Ontopic, we seem to be at an impasse, the other votes seem to all be Minecraft, mixed with Starbound.

I'd prefer a Steam group game to, y'know, be a Steam game. :P But if things work out (( I am researching server hosting. )), I will consider Minecraft. However, I am better versed in finding Terraria or Starbound hosting. Minecraft is a fickle mistress, and modding Minecraft is odd, at best, while Starbound has a dedicated Mod folder you can just drag and drop stuff into.

(( Minecraft requires you to open the JAR, located in a hidden directory, and pray the mod works. ))

On hosting, a 20-person Starbound server would be $30ish a month, Minecraft would be $20, and Terraria would be $30 as well.

The provider I plan on using (( Did research for this before, with an earlier topic. )) would be Multiplay Gameservers.

To be frank, Minecraft really would be the best choice.

However, if we did do some kind of "official" thing, we'd have to get up funding, stuff like that. And I know I can only do so much at present. (( As in nothing, right now, any monies I get goes to gas for my car. ))

If you guys really want to do Minecraft, it's the most cost-efficient, and it is a good title I suppose. I can close the poll and go ahead and get started on a webpage and stuff for it, and we can set up a fund to get it going (( After I measure costs. )).

;) I'm honestly surprised no one said "Team Fortress 2" or Left 4 Dead yet now that I think about it :P

We could do Minecraft realms - the new official mojang-operated private servers - for $13 a month (discounted for a longer subscription),

NVM, only 20 people can be invited and 10 can play at once. Whatever Ryu's looking at would be better. (On a normal server, you can whitelist as many people as you want. And he's looking a 20-online max, not 10)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

For the most part, yeah.

I know I can host a Starbound or Terraria server, or well, I could host one, but ATM, my internet, while stable...

I live in an apartment in my backyard. I run off a wifi-extender, which picks up 70% of my main signal from the house, and broadcasts it to my apartment. On this PC, I get around... 8m download, 6m upload, give or take. And that's with the current weather.

However, it isn't made for running gaming servers, I bought it for school and the occasional emulator or older game (( Somehow this thing runs Skyrim, and runs it well. ))

Therefore, for whatever game, we -would- need external hosting.

Really, the best bet would be external hosting. It does make me curious about Woodus and how he runs the Den.

;) Looks like Starbound is going to be your group game going from the votes