Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

Would You Buy DQIX Again If...

meh. I loved the game but all of those puns and lack of castles bothered me.

Puns in DQ games make my day.

I'm still trying to get over the name "Ringabel" from Bravely Default..

• Upvote 1

Puns ruined the otherwise amazing Dragon Warrior 5 for the DS. 

• Upvote 2

I liked them quite a bit, but I can see your point I guess.

back on topic, I rethought, I want a DQ3 game using the DQ9 engine I can see it working great.

As long as they expanded the DQ3 story a little bit, I'd buy a 2DS just to play it.

As long as they expanded the DQ3 story a little bit, I'd buy a 2DS just to play it.

One of the bonuses is Asura Zoma? 

Maybe it can be a triple game with 1,2,3. The final boss is Malroth, Genosidoh will be a super boss that is OP

That would be neat.

Back off topic. I love reading Democrobot's posts as they remind me of my favorite DQ monster pun, when the left and the right come together to form Democrobot!

If they were going to remake DQ9 for the 3DS but leave the game as is, I wouldn't buy it. However, if they used the remake to re-enable the DLCs such as the shop, quests and maps, then I might consider it. What I would like to see is them to fill out the story for places like Zere Rocks and other places that don't have much bulk to them. 

The puns in my opinion were annoying at times but some of them were rather clever and you can appreciate the thought process of the designers when they came up with them.

I agree with the prequel, that would be a cool addition, the idea of following Corvus and Aquila on their journeys would be fun. Maybe something about the old Gittish empire would be interesting as well.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/69033190

The poll has an option for "Only if they resolved the common DLC/Server concerns."

It isn't even DLC. It's on the cartridge! :|

I don't think the DQVC is on there.  I think that requires a server ping to get the data.  The best resolution would be to keep the DQVC in-game and not rely on server downloads for anything.

Quests and legacy guests are on the cartridge already, and need to be unlocked via a server ping or Save Editor.

Well if they did a remake which unlocked that stuff another way, I would probably get that.

I'd buy it again if they made the DQVC and DLC quests offline, and online tagging for maps. Also, I'm sure if they remade the game, they'd possibly want to fix the map generation so that MKS-only maps and the like aren't able to appear...or maybe not. Who knows?

Most MKS-only maps originated from the same few, then they were duplicated via AR or DQCheat (save editor).

Is there any particular topic where this was discussed? I'd like to see how they did it. :o

Maybe they can add In the 4 guardians, Ladja, Aamon, Xenlon, and Numen as legacy boss. Add Rubiss's sword as a 5* weapons alchemized by Erdrick's Sword, the Hypernova Sword, and some other ridiculously rare stuff. The pithicuses (batboons) reappear with silver, gold, platinum, and Bazuzu (grotto) and have the arch demons including Belial (grotto boss). DQMJ2 giants like Wormonger, Canzar, Missing Lynx, Saggitar, (all 4 grotto) Leonyx (legacy), and Rigor Mortex (legacy) also you can now have 24 people and choose if they have a beard.

The vocation Hero is here and can only be obtained by being lvl 100 on all classes, acing all skills, and beating Corvus. It includes skills like Thoridain, Ultrahit, Pearly Gates, Dragon Soul, and Big Banga.

Is that to much for a redux?

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

I really like the idea of the other bonus bosses.  However I'd add in Grand Dragon and the Elements.  However, make it so all the "good" and "heavenly" bonus bosses are introduced differently, like you have to go to Celestria after bringing up certain Legacy bosses to a certain level, and she'll grant a special quest.  Pass the quest and you get a special map that transports the player into a heavenly cloud dungeon with only S-rank enemies, 3 levels per boss, different music, and one of the special bonus "good" bosses.  Make the other evil bosses like Aamon appear in the standard fare...also bring in some Hargon action.  I want to clap his massive trap.

It wouldn't be if only the Hero could use that class.  Though I'd also consider bringing in Dragon Soul for kicks ;).

I like the idea of a Rubiss' Sword, but I would prefer altering a few other tidbits.

1) Costumes should offer bonuses if the full costume is equipped, so it's not just cosplay.  Make it fun, like special spells are available, or maybe something interesting, like if wearing any of the DQ2 costumes in full the Falcon Sword and the Knife will carry the second hit to other enemies (and the 3rd and 4th hit) if the first hit kills, just like in DQ2.  If wearing any of the Hero costume armor or Erdrick equipment in full, the Erdrick Sword picks up some special bonuses (Metal Effective and Cancel's Tension).

Things like the Wedding set, if the full set is worn, should have a special trigger like 10% chance for enemy to fall in love and thus get confused, reduced or ineffective on bosses.

Or heck, why not make it so special costume sets for a particular game heroes get special bonuses when equipped and in the battle against the legacy bosses corresponding to the same game.

2) Music...expand the playlist for Grottoes.  I want to see every dungeon, tower, and evil castle music as part of the playlist.  Either make it random on entry or tie it to seed rank.

3) Weapon changes: all weapons with an upgrade should get an upgrade beyond just more Attack and Style.  Sure there are a ton of ways to boost damage, but c'mon, there are three spears that deal 120% to aquatics, each an upgrade from the previous.  DQ8 upgraded the % modifier, and DQ9 really should, especially when the Attack value difference is often negligible (within 10-15 points).  It's not exactly...incentive to desire alchemizing at every turn.  Sure I did it, but looking back I regret that extra time spent.

4) Falcon Knife: what was once the pride and joy of DQ games as the ultimate weapon for anyone that knew its usefulness, in DQ4 for Alena (and overleveled Nara/Meena), in DQ5 for certain monsters like Kingslime, in DQ6 for any chick character who had any slash attacks, and even in DQ7 for much the same reason (falcon slash became 300% instead of 225%).  DQ8 nerfed it to nothing, ensuring no knife skills can use the double attack feature, and DQ9 continued this farce, which is especially glaring in light of the Falcon Sword + Falcon Slash hoobuggery brokenness (not saying I don't use it and don't like it...I do, but Falcon Sword has no 75% mod so Falcon Knife has no more purpose even in light of other skills like Clap Trap).  Give this little knife some of the old love back.  Give it an upgrade that adds a mere 5 atk, BUT gives it a bonus to critical hits by (level/256), stacking with all other crit modifiers and skill crit values, and allows its double attack attribute to work with all knife skills.  This will actually make Knives a worthy consideration.

5) Spell damage caps should RISE depending on the level of the spell.  Having them all carry the same cap is ridiculous.

6) Madante/Magic Burst should NEVER be 1.5x, I don't care that it can be tension boosted.  Most Legacy bosses and late-game/post-game bosses this can be used against can DW those boosts away, and use it often enough that likely only 1 tension boost can be gotten off (thankfully a fully seeded Sage only requires 2...though of course a double boost is possible given Egg On + Psyche Up).  It should be 2x and the cap should be 9999, but I digress, since Elfin Elixirs aren't exactly that hard to come by, but they are hard to farm.  It takes a lot of work to get to 99.

7) Alter skill damage for some useless skills, like ALL Staff skills.  Grant them some level of competition with either Whips or Swords for single and multi-target damage.  This goes for Axe skills as well, which are pathetic (Whooper Chopper?  Wow, talk about one waste of a scroll, and don't even start me up with the Claw scroll).

8)...oh there's more but I can't think of them.  The game requires a lot of rebalancing.  Swords are just WAY too OP comparatively.

• Upvote 1

Most MKS-only maps originated from the same few, then they were duplicated via AR or DQCheat (save editor).

Is that right?  I always thought they were legitimately spread via tagging and that the only hack was to convert the text in the map owner's name from Japanese to English.

A remastered version with all the DQVC content available natively I think would be enough for most people to re-purchase.

A remastered version with all the DQVC content available natively I think would be enough for most people to re-purchase.

Supporting DQ in the USA is enough for me to repurchase.

I thought someone mentioned a possible Virtual Console release if DS games are planning to be ported to the Wii U, but maybe that was in another topic.  It could be interesting as a Wii U download, though.  I might consider buying the Wii U for that, but I'd definitely buy one if DQX came out in the US.

I guess the way that would work is that the second screen would be the touch-screen pad?  Or would the try and smoosh both screens onto one TV, and eliminate the touch-screen experience?  Seems like the former would make more sense, because there are games that require the touch pad for functionality more than DQIX, and it would probably require more development to get these individual games to work, otherwise.

Probably not, unless it was fully remade.  I've already bought like 4 copies of it, plus won a version.  

I imported the game upon release in Japan.  I won a copy from Nintendo's contest.  And then the four other copies were given as gifts to people.

I really loved this game.  But I've already sunk like 400+ hours into it.

Is that right?  I always thought they were legitimately spread via tagging and that the only hack was to convert the text in the map owner's name from Japanese to English.

There is a way to tell a legit Masayuki from a hacked one.  I forgot exactly what the tell was though.

Edited by Megalosaro
  • Upvote 1

Probably not, unless it was fully remade. I've already bought like 4 copies of it, plus won a version.

I imported the game upon release in Japan. I won a copy from Nintendo's contest. And then the four other copies were given as gifts to people.

Wow that is a lot of cartridges for a player :P

Considering DQ9 was my favorite all-time DS game (and I had many), I would definitely get it again, day one.  Added features and improved graphics would be a plus.  Frankly, I'll buy anything that says "Dragon Quest" on it at this point in time.