Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

Would You Buy DQIX Again If...

Could someone explain to me why they choose to ignore the demand for Dragon Quest games? I mean some series have it worse in terms of localization, and really we have no room to be complaining too much but it certainly sounds like Dragon Quest is on the back burner.

Could it be the amount of work involved in localization?  We know they're very text-heavy games.  Maybe it's an inefficient project for the developers, even if IX and VIII sold well.

Absolutely not.

;) Square Enix has been known to pick hideous barely legible fonts since they ported the Final Fantasy games to the Gameboy Advanced, this is no surprise to me. (Honestly, the only font they used that looked good was Times New Roman in Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2)

Really? I played over 100 hours of DQIX on my 3DS and never thought twice about any graphical or textual issues. Maybe 14 years of reading elementary school kids' writing has desensitized my eyes.

I remember that text font being atrocious. Like, I remember it being good in the beginning, then when I turned it back on and looked at it I swear I thought I might have accidently adjusted the settings on the text or something. It looked really bad but still legible to me.

Honestly, I'm with platty on this one.I've had no issues reading the fonts on the game either.

Would it be feasible for a fan to create a Kickstarter to raise funds to translate a DQ game into English (for example VII or X)?  Or is that something where we'd have to get approval at SquareEnix before actually creating a crowd-source project?

I had a similar question awhile back for trying to crowd-source the DQ Anime Abel Yuusha translation--just in case the current guy [El3ment?] didn't finish all of the episodes.  I believe crowd-sourcing a fan-sub project would be illegal.

I'd be down for helping to write a letter to Square-Enix about it.  What's the average estimated cost to translate a game the size of either DQVII or X?

No, that would be highly illegal.

A lot of Kickstarters try stuff like that, resurrecting dead series, only to be set with a cease and desist. I think the only reason Kickstarter lets them go through (( There is a process that's viewed by live people. )) is to get press.

And to be frank? The cost would be pretty high. If, and only IF Square Enix OKed something like this.. you'd have to pay something called a "licensing fee", which could be a percentage of every sale (( 10% of every sale, say a buck for every ten, would go to SE by rights )) and an upfront cost, which could be only a couple thousand bucks to a couple million.

The guys who did River City Ransom's sequel had the money and paperwork up front before they even put it up. So...

Licensing fees, plus hiring of staff (( One guy CANNOT DO IT. You need a team of professionals for something like that. )), plus office space, dev kits... it'd be pretty high, at least in the 500k range for DQ7. 

Don't even -think- about DQX.

Hah.  So all we need are the funds upfront, and some solid paperwork, huh?

By any chance, are any of the DQ fans here billionaires? :-p

And a lot of luck.

It really depends. The Time of Eve, one of my favorite anime, recently successfully funded a dubbed version through Kickstarter. They went through all the legal channels, got a studio, even found a professional voice cast. It may be an anime but it's still a fan translation. In this case, the fans just so happen to have enough money and time on their hands to do it.

The closest we could get to some fan effort funded through Kickstarter would be a translated version of the manga, mostly because the publisher has long stopped making money on them and stopped caring about them altogether.

It would be a LOT cheaper for an established localization company to handle the project.  All Square has to produce is at least one programmer for the job, 3 at most given fan translation projects.

The real cost for a kickstarter like campaign would be in dev kits, and the time spent finding people who have ample time to spend localizing a game with arguably more text than all other DQ games combined (including ALL spinoffs).

For SE it would be probably in the 180-250k range for the localization itself, then marketing teams, beta test teams, etc.  They'd probably be looking at around 750k-1.5m overall before actual marketing costs, depending on team size.  Another 750k-3m for marketing depending on direction (could be effective 0 rate if go through certain channels and see if publications decide to pick up on their own, depending on social media frenzy and popularity of course).  TV spots cost a LOT more, especially to hit prime time (6-9 brackets), and you need those commercials to be well done.  Celebrity endorsement always helps, but adds a pretty penny.  Then of course there's the issue of 15, 30, or 1 minute slots, the cost depending on channel, and you need a team that knows the demographics very well, and can predict the right channels, programs, and best cost to effect ratios for risk aversion.   Don't want to spend money on say, Spike TV.  Might be cheaper than Cartoon Network since fewer people watch it, might allow for a 3 month long run, at 4-5 spots a day from 6-9 pm at the same cost as CN for 1 month, 2 spots a day from 6-8.  Even then the actual commercial has to be done in a way that tricks people into wanting it who wouldn't ordinarily want it (existing fans will already be interested once seen), so it has to be done smartly (Nintendo's DQ9 is the perfect example of commercials done right).

So even if, any kickstarter would have to either have its own marketing team assembled, or SE would handle that end.  That cost would run up a kickstarting quite a bit more...

• Upvote 1

I would recommend you become a games journalist but it's clear you're way overqualified.

Seriously.  That was a very detailed response.

Were there even TV spots for DQIX?  I don't think I watch enough live TV to have seen any.

Yeah, Nintendo got some pretty popular actors to do a few, including Seth Green.

DQIX did well because of those, I think. 

Ah, yes.  I vaguely remember seeing the Seth Green ads on YouTube.

I voiced my opinion on this in the GameFAQs topic (gamerman57) and I really would like it to happen. Mainly because the WiFi shutdown really screws with this game. Any new players would be completely shut out of a LOT of content. 

I would recommend you become a games journalist but it's clear you're way overqualified.

Seriously.  That was a very detailed response.

Were there even TV spots for DQIX?

You two are way too generous, but thank you kindly.

Aye, those Seth Green commercials aired for about 2 months on several channels, including CN.  I forget what other channels.

While I agree it is too soon for a remake, a port with some minor changes would still be nice, especially for the DLC.

Hm, I'd have to say yes, with provisos. Like countless others, I agree that it's too soon to remake this game. However, the experience has been very enjoyable. I'm currently playing it (borrowed the game from my brother), and I've enjoyed it for the most part... except for those alliterations in every single item description and quest. That and the gold being slightly hard to get without a lot of hardcore grinding aside, it's a great game. The only other issue not directly related to that game specifically would currently be the wi-fi. Those quests which you need to connect for, I cannot do, due to various reasons, the topmost being my router and the inability to connect to it with my DS Lite, or even my 3DS when using a DS game card. I want Aquila! But I can't do a thing about it. So a 3DS version would be nice, with graphics, sound, and overall gameplay enhanced accordingly, but I'd prefer for Square Enix to wait a couple years.

Well, DQ8 already got it's first remake, so DQIX (or Caravan Heart...) should be next.

Caravan Heart! Caravan Heart! Caravan Heart!

Oh wait, we won't get it anyway. Forget it, whatever.

I'd...

I should play that again.

meh. I loved the game but all of those puns and lack of castles bothered me.

• Upvote 1