Hello all, ol' Yangus here, and I have a question about the PS2 version of DQV.

I would like to play fan translation of the game, but I'm curious about how I could go about playing it. I would like to play the game on my PS2 Slim, but I've heard that PS2 Slim's are region locked, so that could be a problem. Having said that, I noticed that ignasia7 mentioned in his Super Solo Hero Quest Playthroughs topic (in General discussions) about a burnt cd. This makes me wonder if I could possibly burn the translation onto a blank disc, or on a physical copy of the game so I could play it on my PS2. Granted, I don't know if that would actually work or not, but it's at least an option as of now.

If playing it on a PS2 isn't possible, then I suppose I could emulate the game. I think my computer could handle the game, but when it comes to a PS2 emulator I'm a bit in the dark. I remember seeing King Zenith mention in another DQV topic here in the emulation section that you need a certain program to run a PS2 emulator properly.

Any help and info about how I could play the game would certainly be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Having played the game on a emulator myself, I know it's possible. You'll just need a program called "PCSX2" and the apropriate bios and such (which isn't that hard to find) and you should be good to go once you have the game.

I've done both. Luckily, DQV is one of the least resource-intensive ps2 games to emulate, so once you bypass the map bug (if you even run into it) you should be fine. I'd recommend playing it with an XBox 360 or *gasp* XBone controller, or a Logitech dual action controller. (The xbox controllers have longer cables and are more comfortable to hold in my opinion - the controller is probably the only thing about the XBone that I'd prefer over the PS4)

If your computer can't handle it, or if you'd rather play on your actual console, you'll need a few things:

A straw

Kleenex/other tissue

An extra memory card

A copy of 007: Agent under Fire

A screwdriver

A couple of free programs for your computer, which I will help you find

A few blank dvd's (NOT cd's)

A USB stick

I will need to know what model number your ps2 is. It will be on the bottom of the console, starting with SCPH. There's only one model (well 3, one for each region) that won't work with this trick.

ALSO: I will tell you how to do it, but I take no responsibility or liability if you damage your ps2, anything else, or cause injury to yourself or anyone else. It's rather simple (just long) but if I Tell you how to do it, you will do it at your own risk.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I definitely recommend the emulator route, and as you can see there are plenty of us here who can talk you through that process. 

If you are really set on playing it on your console, that's totally doable too (as Erdrick the Hero has mentioned already).  There are a couple of ways that you can go about that, and not all of them require Kleenex and a screwdriver.  I would recommend checking out Freemcboot here.  If you combine Freemcboot with an HD Loader you can run PS2 games (any games) on your PS2, but loaded from an external Hard drive. 

The Freemcboot website I referred to above contains all manner of guides to talk you through that process, include noobie guides and advanced guides.  There is also an active forum along with some nice people who are willing to do the install for you if you ship the memory card to them.

Anyway, options abound but I highly recommend that you try out this version of the game, whatever it takes.  It's worth it!

I was talking about freemcboot. But in order to get it to run on a slim you have to do the Kleenex trick for the 007 disk swap. Unless you have one of those memory card to PC things to copy the exploit with, or an already modded ps2 to copy it with. (I tried it with the shark port, and it didn't work, but I've heard that others had luck with the datel brand tool and the xploder one).

Once the exploit is installed, you can remove the tissue/straw and reassemble the ps2 the way it was.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

By the sounds of it and after reading your posts I'll think I'll go with the emulator route. If it's not to resource intense like Erdrick mentioned, I should be totally fine. I'd rather do this if there's a chance I could damage my PS2, which I would rather not do. :P

I'm afraid I'm not all that familiar with what Kalmana is referring to, specifically the bios and such. Are bios a term used for a program or is it a type of specific ROM?

A BIOS (basic input/output system) is essentially used to initialize the system (runs at startup).  Most playstation emulators need them (i.e. PSX emulators as well as PS2 emulators) to execute some of the emulation processes as well.  There are some emulators that use "high Ievel emulation" to circumvent the need for a BIOS, but those are not very common due to their complexity and because the same effect can be accomplished by just utilizing the BIOS Images (assuming you can procure one).  

That being said, if you would like a BIOS file for your PS2, shoot me a PM and I will see if I can point you in the right direction.

I'm going to rip my own bios next time I get a chance... There's a tool that will let you dump them to a USB stick without having to solder anything.

• 1 month later...

is DQ5 less resource intensive than DQ8 on an emulator?

Yes.  Much less resource intensive. 

Definitely much less, to the point that I can run DQV at 3x the original resolution, whereas DQVIII is only really playable in native resolution on my PC, which is ok I guess, but I usually emulate to play a game in a higher resolution.

Edited by Flute_Warrior
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have an idea which setting I messed up? All slimes in the game are blinking depending on the ground they are on. Also the carpets in Lenoire Castle are messed up depending on the camera angle. Other than that the game looks gorgeous, but I guess I overdid the enhancements slightly. ^^

unmb42jg.png

EDIT: Okay, I finally got it! For some reason the Direct3D11 (Hardware) renderer ist causing glitches. After switching to Direct3D9 (Hardware) all slimes and carpets are fixed. ^^

Edited by bjaxx87