Sign in to follow this  
Solutus

Dragon Quest guitar covers

Recently I've started covering music from Dragon Quest games and thought I could share with you. If you're interested, here are three I've done so far:

Dragon Warrior - Overworld cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC9KGWmrgGc

Dragon Warrior - Overture arrangement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-754_KuY4A

Dragon Warior VII - Memories of a Lost World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ifjmgkr_A

I'm curious what you're thinking.

• Upvote 4

Sounds great to me :)

• Upvote 1

Pretty cool.  You can be in my DQ-themed band  ;)

• Upvote 2

Thank you Woodus, it's an honour.

Megalosaro: Do you have a DQ-themed band?

Edited by Sk8erpunq

Awesome! I saw the first two on GameFAQs, but the DW7 one is new.  Checking it out presently.  Thanks for sharing these over here too! Always good to see you around.

• Upvote 1

My son wants to start learning guitar, I will have to show these to him. :)

• Upvote 1

Oh, that was you. Noice.

• Upvote 1

Cool, good work.

You should check out lonlonjp's DQ guitar videos.  This man is a master!

• Upvote 1

These covers are all great! I, too, also have covered Dragon Quest as well as many, many other video game songs on guitar as well. :) I have never uploaded any on YouTube, maybe I should record a few in the near future when I have the time. Dragon Quest, Wild ARMs, Suikoden and FF:MQ are some of my favorites to cover on the guitar. Again, great job on the cover! Sounds great!

Btw, lonlonjp is a great guitarist! I have watched nearly all of his video game covers and yes I agree he is fantastic at playing!

• Upvote 1

I did not know you had a thread for these. I like them all.

Thanks for doing the tula melody. It is really beautiful. And it does not sound out of place, even with an electric guitar.

• Upvote 1

Wow, nice.  I definitely like how that one turned out.  The Tula pieces from DQ7 are among my favorites from the series.

Thanks again Sk8erpunq!

• Upvote 3

awesome^^

• Upvote 1

Very nice. The only Dragon Quest song I learned was Chateau Ladutorm.

• Upvote 1

Ooh, Sk8erpunq, you drew GrandAlchemist out of the shadows to post on your topic!  That in itself is high praise.

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys, it means a lot to me!

I'm honoured :)

• Upvote 1

Getting better with more complex tunes.  Keep at it Sk8er, you'll have that smoothness down soon and you'll be rippin' through cords like Slash does DQ in no time.

• Upvote 1

Great work Sk8er. Loved the Tula and Memories of a Lost World covers. :thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

Thank you Yangus! I started working on Marching through the Present, have first 30 sec figured out (bass and lead).

I've finished transcribing "Moving through the Present".

Here's a *.zip with Guitar pro 4 and 5, *.pdf and *.txt file with the music score:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55140083/Moving%20Through%20the%20Present.zip

And here's *.midi file, generated by Guitar Pro 5 (so you can listen to it before I make a video).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55140083/Moving%20Through%20the%20Present.mid

I will probably make a video tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

Nice, great work.  It's a bit odd listening to only the melody of the song as there are some parts with some small gaps where other instruments would be filling in with that "dun dun dun dun..." stuff.  My head filled it in nicely since I am familiar with the tune, but I could see how other people listening might wonder why some of the pauses seem a bit long.

Anyway, there's nothing you can do about that and I am not even sure why I felt I needed to mention it.  Thanks again for sharing this with us!

• Upvote 1

Good work, Sk8er, job well done! Perhaps you could do a "collab" of sorts, where you combine this video of you along with another playing the part opposite of the main theme.

• Upvote 1

Nice, great work.  It's a bit odd listening to only the melody of the song as there are some parts with some small gaps where other instruments would be filling in with that "dun dun dun dun..." stuff.  My head filled it in nicely since I am familiar with the tune, but I could see how other people listening might wonder why some of the pauses seem a bit long.

Anyway, there's nothing you can do about that and I am not even sure why I felt I needed to mention it.  Thanks again for sharing this with us!

Thank you Zenith! Actually, it's a valid point, I feel the same way. But these gaps are 1-2 notes long, when I tried it, "dun dun"s sounded forced, so I decided to go without them.

Good work, Sk8er, job well done! Perhaps you could do a "collab" of sorts, where you combine this video of you along with another playing the part opposite of the main theme.

Thanks Yangus! In near future I will probably try recording both parts and combining them in one video. The timing is really tricky in this one.