Sign in to follow this  
dragovrune

What can be done once (or if) the DQVC and wifi connection goes down M

Hello, I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I mess up in any way.

I am going to start Dragon Quest IX and I wanted to ask some questions related to the wifi unlock missions and DQVC.

I know that connecting once will unlock everything, even if the missions are still a "?" early on and the special guest all

come to stay.

What I was wondering is if I had another card of the game and it's resident visit via multiplayer, will the quest in the other world be unlocked even if in the first cart the missions are unidentified at that point? Also will the special visitors come to the second cart's world in this case?

Then about the DQVC, I read the list of items limited to only on that connection/store. The ones I was curious about were the Borya Boots (available now.....and by 30 visitors) and the Christmas Cake (?). If I miss those through bad luck, will I not have any chance of getting them outside of finding someone else with them (for tagging....? I am still new to this...)? Is most of the stuff special to the DQVC untaggable? Do you lose those two items when tagging (or through the mission)?

(Just as a side question, is the bunny alchemy ears the earliest easiest way to gain money fast? Or is there another method to accumulate funds as effectively quick?)

I read something about save editor, but I have no idea where to get the parts or how it works. Also not sure if it would corrupt the file...

Please anyone offer your wisdom. I really want to enjoy all Dragon Quest IX has to offer if I can.

With the save editor and 2 copies of the game you can load saves into one and tag your game with it for the Inn and DQVC and treasure maps

I bought this do to it

http://www.amazon.com/NDS-Adapter-Plus-Nintendo-Windows-PC/dp/B007QVG3LG/ref=as_li_tf_sw?&linkCode=wsw&tag=dragonsden-20

I don't remember what can be done about the quests though

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the reply Woodus.

I just wanted to ask if the save editor is straight forward and will it corrupt any save files? How can you make it access the DQVC? Also, is there any site that gives directions for it?

I am not tech savy with file manipulation, so I have no idea how it is used..... >.<

In regards to the two cart question prior, can the unlocking quest and VIP guest among the two carts (one file with feature unlocked, one without) be done even without the save editor?

Use of the Save Editor is very easy and intuitive.  It is all bundled up into a nice GUI application with clearly labeled options and features.  It won't corrupt your save file, but I recommend making a backup copy before editing just to be sure.

Here is a quick guide to using the save editor (with pictures!):

When you fire up the save editor, you can use the file menu to navigate to your save file on your PC.  It supports multiple different save file types, so I think it should work with just about anything you can throw at it.  Open up your save file and you get some general info about your game (which you can modify if you like).  The general tab can be used to change info like how much gold you have, which party tricks you have learned, etc..

01_SaveEditor_General.png

Another interesting tab in the interface is the "Flags" tab.  Here you can unlock whichever vocations you might need and you can add any locations you might have missed on your zoom list.

02_SaveEditor_Flags.png

Next up, we have the Inn tab.  You can upgrade your Inn to the fancy version here by adjusting your "Inn Grade".  You can also add any historical characters (special guests) to your Inn here by simply checking the ones you need (why not check 'em all!). 

03_SaveEditor_Inn.png

Moving on, we get to the "Quests" tab.  Use this to unlock any quests you don't have yet (including all DLC quests).  Notice the "Bulk Edit" area?  That's handy for unlocking all quests at once, or if you are into that kind of thing, you can also revert them all to uncleared, in case you want to take a fresh stab at everything.

04_SaveEditor_Quests.png

And the last thing I will mention here is the "Wi-Fi Shop" tab.  Here you can play around with Sellma's message, or change Sellma's name, but even more importantly, you can pick any items that you want to have in the DQVC shop (and you can set the quantity and price). 

05_SaveEditor_DQVC.png

That's basically everything you need to know.  There is plenty more that you can do with the save editor, but these are some of the more common things and everything else is pretty easy to figure out. 

Hope that helps! Please let me know if there is something that requires further explanation.

One caveat to using the save editor is that you need to define if the save is a Quick-save or not.  If you load a save into the editor (one currently containing a Quick-save) and you don't select the Quick-save option.

Also, if you connect via Tag Mode with someone who has downloaded all of the extra quests, your character should get them once they return to their own world.

LOL, I wonder what would happen if you set the DS's date to AFTER the "Expires" date for the DQVC shop.

I vote for the first "Nintendo pulls a windows and BSODs"!

Thank you King Zenith on this guide.

Please forgive my ignorance, I was still unsure on somethings with the save editor (total novice)

How do I make the save or backup save of the game? Will the game need to play in the background on the computer for any of the functions to active? (I ask because I found this recently, but it did not make total sense to me

- your instructions are more straightforward than most of this video) Does this feature come with the download on this site? How would the DQVC be accessed (you mention editting the selection, but would I still need to connect online or would the save editor somehow deceive the game into thinking it is connecting to the Nintendo Wifi Network when playing on the computer like in the linked video)?

Also, I wanted to ask when the save editor device is hooked up, can I active the program off the bat or will I need to do other things prior? Are there certain procedures I should take launching the DQ IX save editor software? Will the device be able to cooperate with other save editor software beside this one if used?

You can use a device such as an NDS Adaptor Plus or I believe an Action Replay to load the save back into the DQIX cart, when you're done.

I mentioned this above, but a common error I've come across--and this may have been covered in the video, I'll have to watch it--is that if the save that you rip has a Quicksave on it, don't make any edits without first selecting the option for Quicksave in the Save Editor.  If you make edits to the game without telling the Save Editor that it's a Quicksave, then the changes will not take effect--when you load the game, the Quicksave will over-write the changes you made.

You can see the radio button for Quick Save at the top of this screenshot.  In this case it is grey'd out, because this particular save does not contain a Quick Save.

01_SaveEditor_General.png

Edited by Liamland

I used both an Action Replay DSi and my flashcart at the time to do tagging and such between a ROM of DQIX and my local copy.

And to answer your question, I don't think there is another DQIX save editor. As long as you stick with one program, it should work fine.

But I would -always- keep backups. I messed my flashcart save up -bad- one time, and I was lucky I had a backup.

Just don't go nuts and you'll be fine.

With the save editor and 2 copies of the game you can load saves into one and tag your game with it for the Inn and DQVC and treasure maps

I am a little confused by this.  If I have the save editor, why would I need 2 copies of the game?  Can't I just edit my saved game and reload it?

Yeah, people with two copies and two DSs, its more legitimate, but tedious.

Okay, thanks for the information. I learned the answer to my own question above with the "does the person have to get on the Wifi to access the DQVC all the time" by learning that there is an option to not go update and just buy what has been loaded.

So I guess what I am curious about now is when I am done editting the save (which was loaded from the NDS adaptor plus to the PC), then I can load it over the save already on the cart, or do I need to delete what is already on the cart and then load back the save?

Also, the inn canvass guest option, if I did it bit by bit (do you get prizes per a certain number or did I missread somewhere), could I still allow a second cart (another file played by a friend or myself) guest to visit without issues?

Would the items on the DQVC affected by the save editor have to be limited to the week's particular sale? (like all rusty things have to be sold together or the second chance exclusives items cannot mix with orb week items......curious really :lrsmile: )

Also, besides the Amazon link proved by Woodus (thank you again :) ), are there any other realiable sites offering the device for sale?

I guess I might be asking too much without having experimented yet. I honestly do really appreciate the answers.

Edited by dragovrune

Hey there, I still haven't gotten around to using the save editor, but I will be attempting it soon.

I did want to ask another question. If I have a new copy of DQIX and I did not connect with it to the Nintendo Wifi prior to shutdown, can the file still be edited to include the special guests? I think I read that save editor does work if the connection had been made with a copy, even if the person restarts their game.

Or would I need to attempt to connect and get the error message so that the cart recognizes that there was some sort of connection to the Nintendo Wifi (if this is a possibility at this point)?

Yes, you can still get the special guests.  Pardon while I borrow Woodus' screenshot from above.  Select the Inn tab and mark off all of the check boxes on the left side under, "Historical Characters".

03_SaveEditor_Inn.png

The one thing you would still need a second copy of the game for (which has connected to the DQVC at least once) is the DLC Quests.  Those transfer over once you multiplayer tag over, via Pavo at the Stornway Inn, to a host game that has the quests.  Once you return to your world you game will alert you that the extra quests were brought back from your friend's world.

There is a Quests tab in the Save Editor, but I can't make much sense of the logic.  It may be tedious to figure out how to unlock each extra quest this way, particularly when connecting once to a game with the legacy DLC download will add them all at once.

You can get the save editor here at the Den.  It's free.  It can modify all kinds of data in your save file (see above screenshots for examples of stuff you can change).  It works with save files ripped from your game cartridge using a device like an NDS Adaptor Plus.  It's very low risk since you can make a backup copy of your save file before modifying it.

The trick is getting the NDS Adaptor to work with your PC.

It allows you to download the save state from the cartridge for backup or to modify it with the save state editor and then put it back on the cartridge

How do you get one?

Typically an exchange of currency is necessary.

I got mine from Amazon

Since the adapter uses an unsigned driver you need to follow these steps to get the adapter to work for Windows. I have Windows 7 and this worked perfectly for me. You can also search for "disabling unsigned drivers in Windows". That should get you where you need to be.

To have Windows Run Unsigned Drivers, you will need to restart your computer. You need to press the F8 Key during the boot-up process to access Advanced Boot Options page. It's a little tricky to get to this page though. You're computer will probably have some Pre-Windows Loading Screens for your motherboard. Don't hit F8 on those screens (as it will likely take you into the Motherboard settings and not the Advanced Boot Options). There will be a black screen with a white cursor for a second or two before the Windows loading screen. Right before the Windows Loading screen is when you need to press the F8 Key. Cursor down to the line "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and press the "Enter" Key. Once that is done you can insert the adapter and use the editor software.

You can also check this link:  http://www.pokedit.com/support/nds-adapter-plus.php

As a side note I can in no way guarantee no harm will come to your computer, but again worked fine for me. Good luck.

I got mine from Amazon

So.. I recently bought a used second copy so I wouldn't have to delete my existing save game and its many maps, and subsequently learned that Nintento WiFi no longer exists.

If I'm reading this thread correctly, the only way to get DQVC to function at all anymore is to edit the save game using an adapter like the one in the quote?  Is this one generally considered a good one? (driver issues aside)

Also, the extra quests will be brought over if I join a multiplayer game started with the original cart?  Never really done multiplayer, and had just planned on tagging to bring over some of the maps..

It's been awhile, but I'm enjoying playing through the story again! 

Currently trying to resist looking at a walkthrough to see where I'm supposed to go next, since it's pretty open at the moment...

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a probably dumb question. I've unlocked all the historical characters via the save editor, but when I go to the Inn there's nobody there. I've checked all the floors and rooms but it's just deserted. Did I do something wrong or is there something I have to do before they can show up?

I think your inn had to be marked as upgraded. I can't really remember.