Ignasia's Super Solo Hero Quest Playthroughs!

I haven't had a chance to really give your plan a good look, but it seems from a few quick glances and a little thought, to be ok.  Sorry Mortamor, it's more about trying to finish this off in ample time since I'm not forced to deal with an 11 day schedule (no telling when on the 20th the DQVC servers will be down for the count).

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired from eating every seed I find on the ground, in pots, barrels, or c

Wow...undead and Goodybags are immune to Kamikaze, that works just fine for me.  So now it's just Angelo, Yangus, and Jessica versus the Swordsman's Labyrinth.   Yangus is now level 6.  10 points in

Hi all, so currently I'm replaying through 2 separate games of Dragon Quest VIII.   Initially I played a normal game way back.  Then a Fisticuff Only Challenge, then a Low Level Challenge (finished

Added a bit more.  I died leveling to 11 around Zere (should avoid the scythe wielding scarecrows...sleep is deadly).

Anyway, I'm going to save prior to Wight Knight if my time is somewhere between 1:20 and 1:30 by the time I'm level 12 and have the desired items from Brigadoom...and the door pre-opened.  Well, if it's 1:25+ and it feels like I made too many mistakes, I'll reset, otherwise I'll keep it.  25+ minutes for level 12 and all that is more than enough to warrant continuing.  My reduced time getting to and beating Morag should get me closer to KoG's time by Coffinwell.  Then it's just a matter of luck with Metal Slimes (I'll need to be around level 18 minimum, 21 to be in the safe-zone, to beat Contagion...who I beat at 18 twice, but everytime after that wow, he proved it was all pure luck).  Morag will prove the easiest, and 13-14, which I should be at after Wight Knight, should be plenty (maybe 15 from normal battles on the way to Morag).

I'm going to head to sleep now...I need to get at least to Alltrade's tomorrow.  I want to have this done by the end of this weekend, though Sunday will prove difficult given it's Mum's day, so I guess by the end of Saturday.

Class changes *can't quite sleep, lol*

I'm going to be a Minstrel until Alltrade's, then switch to Martial Artist to dump some points (16 in its class skill set, which will net me the ability to Tension boost).

Then I'll switch to Thief, and at level 1, head to the first area, tension boost Dragon Slash twice on slimes to unlock Gladiator (need only 2, and at level 1 they don't run away).  Then level Thief up a bit to maybe 16, then Warrior to the same level, saving up points, which I'll dump into Priest and Spears, level that to about 16, which should bring Spears near max level.  Of all this will be off Metal Slimes in the Quarantomb.

Later on there's this place called the Bad Cave, where I'll get Spears to 100, then move on, again as a Minstrel.  I MAY consider putting 3 points into Knives to unlock Ranger, but that will only be done once I have access to the final leveling spot, and best farming spot for both Mini Medals and levels in the main game: Bowhole, which has Liquid Metal Slimes at a decent rate (like a 15-20% chance to spawn on B3.

There, if I have time after getting all the extra levels I need, and my time is less than 7 hours, I'll unlock Ranger and level it to 40 (34 unlocks its best healing spell).  I MAY want to stay as a Minstrel.  I MAY also decide to just skip Ranger and main as a Priest, if only for Fullheal, but that means leveling all the way to 47, which is the same as getting a Ranger and leveling it to 40, unless I'm REALLY luck with LMS kills.

Anyway, by the end of it I'll have the following skills maxed out: Spears and Shields

The rest of my points will be: 16 Min/22 Max Focus (Martial Artist's skill set), 90 Courage (Warrior), 55 Min/82 Max Guts (Gladiator), maybe points into Faith (Priest) for more healing ability and/or 10 in Litheness (Minstrel) for increased dodge at critical HP (not that useful against the last two bosses).

Oh wow I really wish DQ9's text speed could be increased.  It's unfathomably annoying, but the speed isn't too bad, but wow would it make things easier to change to display everything at once.  I could cut down on like 3 hours, lol.

I like your idea about moving around, it helps a bit, breaks up what would be monotonous...well right now it's clearly not since your level ups are so close together.  It also helps that DQM is so speedy on its own, and once you get skills it will make things even faster.  I like the way you set it up.  It's pretty smooth and easy to watch.

I tried soloing DQIX once. I tried to stay as a Minstrel the whole way without even spending skill points. It was BRUTAL. I got to the first Hootingham-Gore fight before I gave up. I simply couldn't beat him without excessive grinding. And since I didn't spend any skill points, I had no reliable way for grinding any MS, MM, or LMS. I had to fight the monsters around Gittingham Palace. I didn't spend very much time there before giving up. The only way I could possibly progress was by spending absurd amounts of time grinding there. Before that, Ragin' Contagin and Gadrongo were the hardest parts. Ragin Contagion was all luck because of Sap/Kasap. I don't remember much about Gadrongo though.

Bird class will definitely speed things up for you.  Plus you shouldn't even need WhiteFire until Rank B.  I forget, does DQM based breeding stats on the father and mother like synthesis in Joker?

I tried soloing DQIX once. I tried to stay as a Minstrel the whole way without even spending skill points. It was BRUTAL. I got to the first Hootingham-Gore fight before I gave up. I simply couldn't beat him without excessive grinding. And since I didn't spend any skill points, I had no reliable way for grinding any MS, MM, or LMS. I had to fight the monsters around Gittingham Palace. I didn't spend very much time there before giving up. The only way I could possibly progress was by spending absurd amounts of time grinding there. Before that, Ragin' Contagin and Gadrongo were the hardest parts. Ragin Contagion was all luck because of Sap/Kasap. I don't remember much about Gadrongo though.

Dude, that's nuts.  I mean I like hard challenges, but that's pain and requires heavy leveling to even consider.  If you wanted to take out Hogg, you HAVE to have Secrets of the Shield, so you HAVE to get Shields, at the very least, to 100 points.  I might consider something like this, but the problem is Ragin' Contagion would probably require my level to be 25 rather than 21 for a fair shot, and tack on like another 5-10 levels for every subsequent boss.

I tried one challenge kind of similar, where I wanted to copy the previous speedrunner by going for a pure Minstrel.  I managed to get lucky with a lot of Coup de Grace and critical hits.  Took out Wight Knight at 8, Ragin' at 18 (I can't recall my Morag level), at 21 I unlocked Alltrades, and by 25 I was at Bloomingdale.  I did not feel like spending excessive time leveling, but I could not beat Tyrantula.  I came pretty close once, but after something like 30 attempts, I just gave up on my attempt and...huh now I know why my solo save file is what it is.  Anyway so I basically went around gathering alchemy, changed classes, skill farmed, hit level 30 as a Priest but with Gladiator and Warrior's skills maxed, so my Str was high for a Priest, and of course maxed out Spears gave me a huge edge.  I mained Priest until Sage, unlocked that.  Problem is I spent so much time making alchemy and skill point farming (I had every class skill tree maxed before finishing the game), I had like 20, maybe 30 hours as my finish time.

This should be interesting, since I'm hoping to beat the original speed record using a slightly different route, but we'll see.

Let me know when you make your next vid!  I'd love to comment but I can't access commentary in youtube anymore.  I wanted to give Saigan some protips on what to do to help his playthrough go smoother, but couldn't comment.  Oh well, progress, lol.

Sap isn't all that bad.  Contagion won't recast until at least one round after it's gone.  Then he casts it once, and will cast the next one between 1 and 3 rounds.  Sap cast once doesn't add that much damage, and is negligible (especially if you have Healmore), but twice, and it's best to either have some shield skills (like the -50% damage + 80% attack skill Blockenspiel), or Defending Champion.  Or just hope for some luck, blocks, and use Defend if you prefer to save MP.

Even then there are plenty of times I've seen him cast Sap after a 3-5 round gap.  Minstrel is certainly better than Warrior for a speedrun anyhow, but only due to natural healing ability.  Other than that, the nearly 2x Str of the Warrior would play a massively useful factor, and of course there are a possible 4x spawn of a 60+HP healing item just East of Coffinwell.

I need to take a nap.  I just died.  This is 4 failures getting through Brigadoom.  I'm going to skip getting the Gold Bracer, and instead buy a Bunny Tail for the 5 agility.  This time I managed to nearly finish up opening Brigadoom and gathering the items that will make level 12 Wight Knight go smoothly, but died to a poor choice in accepting a battle of a Drackmage + Skeleton + Leery Lout.  Managed to take out the Drack, and on round 3 I had 8 HP, was hoping I could beat out the Skeleton with a heal, but no dice, and he landed an 8HP blow, felling me.

I really need this next one to go smoothly.  Up to that point that last attempt went very well, VERY well, and I could have possibly been looking at a 1:23-25 time before Wight Knight.  Which would set me up for Coffinwell around the 1:50-2:00 markers.

I did notice something though.  Rapidly pressing the A button will trigger in-battle text to move faster.  I have to wonder how much extra time I could've saved with that.  It's not much in battle, but it definitely makes a noticeable difference in not pressing versus pressing throughout.  Of course the danger is ensuring I don't accidentally click Attack when I need to heal, lol, small potatoes though.

:/  Never enjoyed the kinks of working out best possible paths.  I wish I knew DQM by heart, would make it easier to sort that out to help you.

Anyway I nearly finalized my plans up to Swinedimples for equipment.  I MAY skip Ethereal equipment and just make my Magical Gauntlet into Enchanted after Godrango, but the spears are a must (very nice I have my end-game weaponry by Bloomingdale)....ok I think I have equipment no worked out through to the end...

I'm not 100% on my skill path with a few bits and pieces.  Spellcraft I'll save until way late, leave at least one class open for it.  I don't need Armamentalist though, nor the Fource abilities, but I'll leave it open just in case.  I think I'll wait a bit longer to boost Shield effectiveness, but that depends on my skill points and if I can afford getting 16 into Focus the moment I take out Nu'un.

Planned Skill Path:

1) Getting Metal Slash first, so 13 skill points in Swords. No more Swords after that point.
2) Getting 12 in Shields.
3) Getting 10 in Litheness.
4) Getting 8 in Spellcraft for Wizard Ward (Armamentalist is almost a must given it's easy to level, good hp, thus makes for a good class to farm points)  <<-big maybe
5) Getting 16 in Focus, use a Thief to unlock Gladiator
6) Saving up points for Spears or Axes, going straight for 100 (spears is overall better given selections, alchemy, and Multithrust being one of the best skills in the game, so I might just go with that).
7) Courage to 90.
8) Guts to 100.
9) Shields to 100.
10) Anything else...whatever, maybe get +10 each from Mage and Priest if I can, focus on Priest.

Planned Equipment Path:

1) Pick up Gold Ring near Train, buy 8 Herbs in Angelfalls.
2) Pick up Leather Shield and Feather Fan in Hexagon.
3) Pick up Shell Armor in rear entry of Hexagon.
4) Pick up Gloves near Inn in Stornway.
5) Buy Rapier in Stornway.

6) Buy Bronze Shield and Bunny Tail in Zere.
7) Pick up Gold Bracer, Clogs, and Bandanna in Brigadoom.
8) Equip Iron Gauntlets from Wight Knight.
9) Buy Iron Sword/Armor/Shell Shield from Coffinwell. Buy 48 Herbs to make Special Medicine.

10) Pick up Iron Kneecaps in Twyll Cave.

11) Pick up Cautery Sword in Stornway (need Thief's Key)
12) Perhaps some accessory alchemization for Bloomingdale's boss. <<--I need to work things out first here.
13) Buy Magic robe, armor, and gauntlet, find Magic Shield in the Plumbed Depths
14) Alchemize any Ethereal upgrades possible.

Enchanted Stone, need at least 1 (Gauntlet): Thunderballx2 + Ice Crystalx2 + Mystifying Mixture

...one Enchanted Stone dropped by Godrango

Ethereal Stone, need at least 2 (Gauntlet + Shield): Enchanted Stone + Perfect Panacea + Narspiciousx2

15) Pick up Spiked Armor in Coffinwell (need Magic Key) <<-very useful versus physical bosses

16) Spear Alchemization

Spears:

Long Spear 29atk (bought: Coffinwell)

Holy Lance 39atk +20% versus Undead (bought: Dourbridge)

Celestial Spear 70atk +20% versus Undead (alchemy: Long Spear + Holy Talisman + Platinum Ore) <<-can be made as soon as Bloomingdale

Battle Fork 47atk +20% versus Aquatic (bought: Bloomingdale)

Trident 65atk +20% versus Aquatic (alchemy: Battle Fork + Seashellx2 + Crimson Correlx2) <<-can be made as soon as Bloomingdale

Gracos's Trident 88atk +20% versus Aquatic (alchemy: Trident + Mighty Armlet + Densiniumx2)  <<--big maybe, Trident should be enough

17) Buy Magical Skirt in Swinedimples Academy

18) Pick up Safety Shoes in Magmaroo

19) Pick up Goddess Ring in Observatory (need Ultimate Key)

20) If enough medals, pick up Sacred Armor from Medal collector in Dourbridge

21) Pick up Mirror Armor and Spellward Circlet in Realm of the Mighty

Edited by ignasia7

At least MadCondor's baseline stats will be high enough to augment the reduced growth rate, and it makes sense you'd use another monster as your end-game.  Multi-cut is a decent AoE.

The Enchanted Stone other than the one Godrango drops, will be out of the way, as will any Ethereal Stone due to the Perfect Panacea, unless I get very lucky with some blue chest drops as I gather any that are nearby a desired Red Chest.  However these aren't tremendously out of the way.  It's about 5 minutes worth of alchemy if I have the ingredients, and they're not hard to obtain.  The problem is I just have to be lucky there are more than in each area.

The Celestial Spear will be easy as all heck to make.  The Long Spear having already been purchased, the Holy Talisman being a gift item in Stornway's Treasury after Wight Knight, and Platinum Ore is a little to the left of the Bad Cave, very close to Bloomingdale.

The Trident will be a cinch as well.  Crimson Corral is on the way between Twyll Cave and Port Llaffan, while Seashells are either on the way to Swinedimples, or a short 1 minute walk from Stornway (assuming no battles).  So I can wait a little on this given Battle Fork should hold me for a bit versus aquatics.

Massive OOPS: I noticed something big.  See, Anitasha, this character, was made earlier as a chest run to ensure I found everything or could decide on what to get and what not to.  So when I made it months ago, and started it up, I used AR codes to grant every accessory in the game...every, for the purposes of blowing through it with ease should I come across any issues in my prep run.  I just noticed this because in this current attempt to prep for Wight Knight, I decided to sell my Gold Ring, only to find I had every accessory available to sell.

The ghist of it is, I have 9 of each, limited time, and well there's no possible way I'm redoing this now.  So anything above 9 is considered legit and can be used.  Bloody annoying and royally stupid, but then 35 minutes was really solid as an opening.  Ok back to playing.

Edited by ignasia7

Whew, you finished Rank F by 1 HP!  That must've been nerve rattling.  One of these days, when I can afford new computers, I want to do an iron man DQ stream of DQ7.

I finally killed Wight Knight in...decent time.  Not great.  My fastest prior to this kill was 8 minutes.  Though that entire battle he almost never multithrusted, only healed once, I had 2 crits, no coup de grace though, and he basically only used his normal attack, sparing me from extra damage and allowing me to heal every 3-4 rounds instead of every 2-3.  This time WAS going well until round 25 when he starts to spam heal every other attack.  Luckily they were low heals (30-34), and my damage was consistently between 18 and 22, so I was able to bypass all that and end at +10 minutes after all the dialogue.

Now to Stornway.

I realize something with this.  My nerves are getting wracked.  I don't like all this resetting with the deadline coming up.  So I'm just going to aim for the Lightspeed, keep going as I am.  Not be as reset happy and try not to foul up too often.  If I happen to get close to the 7:55 marker I'll consider it a bonus.  If I didn't have the deadline I'd probably be ok with it, but eh, it is what it is.

Yeah I noticed that too.  Definitely advantageous whenever you scout a new desired monster.

I actually have the equivalent of the NDS Adapter.  A DSi AR, the only model that allowed save management!  Sadly, the next version, while it stated it had the same feature, only allowed ripping a game, not full save management :/.  In the process of the last few speedruns I would swap out my core save to get some DQVC items and maybe a short run through a dungeon (I really need to, I spent like 20m on gear recently to get at least 4 of everything available in every shop, and I have like 3m left).

So Morag is taken out, and I did a pretty good job overall.  13 minutes of getting to her, beating her at level 13 (I killed something on the way up to snag a level), and I'm saved at Quarantomb at around 1:56.

Tried several times to snag some levels, but wow, my Metal slime spawn rate is really bad with Anitasha.  I mean REALLY bad.  I killed a few of the snakes on the way up for a bit of easy cash (dragon slash rocks).

Well, I can't use the save editor just yet, but in the future, whenever I can buy a new PC, then sure.  It's not really a matter of the save editor functioning on this system or not, more like this old mac won't recognize the card formatted for the DSi, and won't accept any software installation for it.  *shrugs* It's just old and picky.

L button isn't "necessary", but it is quite helpful.  Several maps like Quarantomb have hallways at a particular angle that when hunting you really want to be able to flip the camera back and forth.  Have you tried the breathing or can of compressed air method?  Just place your mouth or the can at the corner and try to lift it up as much as you can with your finger, that usually lets in enough air.  Technically the thing just needs to be taken apart and cleaned, so if you have that skill/knowhow and the the right bit (gaming bit), you should be able to get to the L button to clean it.  Often it's dirt INSIDE the spring or on the side forcing it to keep from either opening or to push down just shy of the actual button.  Sometimes it's the button itself that needs a thorough air cleaning directly.

Anyway, like I said it makes some maps and hunting easier, but it isn't necessary.

Oh right, update.  So Quarantomb has proven to be a nightmare.  I had 2 perfect runs getting to the point where I have an Iron Broadsword, Iron Cuirass, herbs and chimarea wings purchased, and spoke to everyone who needed to be spoken to in order to unlock the Quarantomb.  Saved on the second to save some time each reload (I wonder how much time I've added thanks to all this saving?)

Anyway, my Quarantomb experience has been hellish.  First Metal Slimes wouldn't spawn on two occasions.  When they did they ran in the first attempt, and in the second I nearly died.  16 minutes and one metal only to flee is unacceptable, they should be able to spawn about 1 per minute from all my other play attempts.  Finally they were spawning ok, but this time they just kept running, and running, and running.  The last time I had good spawn times in this attempt was 2 lightspeed attempts ago, and I managed to kill 3 out of the first 5.  This time it was 5 spawns in 16 minutes (acceptable given a good portion of that was being in battle), and the first had 2 metally's, but no dice.  No dice.

As to your other questions.

1) Yes, if you seed a bit, especially in Magical Mending and Strength, a Sage is capable of handling any Legacy boss solo as at 999 Moreheal can heal about 400 HP.  Similarly for Rangers.  This is especially true with the Shield Scroll and Seraph's Robe/Exotoga.  Even Paladin can up to a point if you have a Dire Critical Fan and a Combat Action Medal.

2) Never done it, but I can see it.  Sacred Armour OR Life Bracer (the equipment won't stack but they heal 25HP/round) + Miracle Sword or Hero Spear (sadly Uber Miracle Sword both heal at 25%, and the swords are superior as Hero Spear's auto-heal works with only 2 of the spear skills), should be sufficient.  If the last boss proves difficult, you may have to unlock Sage to get Right as Rain (stacks with either Life Bracer or Sacred/Sacrosanct Armor).

Edited by ignasia7

It's a 10 year old mac, and no, it barely runs JUST Firefox 3.x.x.  OS is 10.4.11, and it's the first model, and cheapest model at the time, to switch from IBM to Intel processors.

First, check above again, I answered your other questions about soloing in dq9.  Second...hmm, it isn't water and it does evaporate quickly, unless you're turning the can upside down where it will get the liquid all over it, freeze for a moment, and may trigger condensation from actual water, then no you should be fine assembling it again.

On mine it's my right trigger that has problems constantly.  Sometimes after a good cleaning I'll press it and the other trigger over and over again for about 20 minutes, in a game where I can see if it's working.  I'm starting to think there's gunk buildup somewhere, as there's no other reason why it should suddenly work perfectly for an hour after doing that, then when I leave the system alone for another few hours and come back, the problem persists.

Edited by ignasia7

There is a trick using the first map you get, also known as the usurugi map (granite tunnel of woe lv.1) that has its own faq and numerous posts on the GFaqs forums covering it.  This guarantees a seed drop if done right, every single battle (really it's a guarantee of the rare).  Though this is only a drop, and I believe requires the preset number of party members:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/faqs/60965

There's likely a way to adapt this to solo play, as other similar methods have been found with other maps that have proven just as fruitful.

Anyway, if you want to go the purist route.  Solo is of course a bit more difficult, especially in the main game (mostly due to having only one person stealing).  Deftness plays a factor in Steal rates.

Base steal rate (1-50 Deftness) = 2 * Drop Chance

Maximum steal rate (at 999 Deftness) = 6 * Drop Chance

With the Honour Among Thieves Award equipped in the accessory slot the rate is doubled(Medal obtained for revocating a Thief, or in post-game, getting to lv 99 and choosing Revocation, only obtained on the first revocation per game copy, US/EU were also barred from getting this in DQVC, unlike Japan, so feel free to hack more in).

Base steal rate + Honour Among Thieves (1-50 Deftness) = 4 * Drop Chance

Maximum steal rate + Honour Among Thieves (at 999 Deftness) = 12 * Drop Chance

There is a catch though.  No steal rate can surpass 50%, so if it does, it's defaulted to 50%.  So a 1/256 item  that's 12/256 at 999 Deftness + the accessory, so 3/64.  Pretty good steal rates for a DQ, however you can only Half-Inch one item per enemy (though you can still get the drop as and added bonus, so a possible two seeds if you're really lucky).  Note that Half-Inch goes after the common first, so if successful, you're SOOL.  On top of being able to get the drop, and there's one final factor...

Every class, as you likely know, has their own special class quests.  The first at 15, the second requires level 40. Every level 40 quest provides a book that when in your character's item inventory, grants a passive bonus.  Thief's Theory is the one for Thief...clearly, and it grants a chance to autosteal just like in DQ3remakes, 6 and 7.  It can allow multiple steals in battle.  Think of it like another chance.  Like with Half-Inch, you can steal something with this and still have it drop, what I'm not positive about is whether you can double steal (half-inch an item, AND get the auto-steal), which I can't find anything about and I don't recall my own experiences vividly enough to say for sure.  At least you can steal both the common and rare in the same battle with this item.

Thief's Theory steal chance per item: 1/ [ rate * 100 / level ]

So 1/256 @ level 99 = 1/258

Low, but it's another roll chance, and sadly only one allowed per game, it's also unaffected by the medal accessory.

Well, other than using the save editor and a save manager (or emulate DQ9 and the save editor), for the legit, just get to the point where you can access Alltrade's Abbey, zoom to Stornway, trigger Sellma's dialogue and start up DQVC prior to the 20th.

First connect will unlock every quest, and grant you all the special inn guests, along with whatever the week's type is (I believe we're in Alchaid4, so a ton of rarer alchemy items).

After that DQVC exclusives can be snagged by multiplaying with a cart that has them in their last DQVC shopping list.  Multiplayer DQVC store depends on the host of the game, and whether you can purchase anything from it is independent per "hero".  So if Host has purchased everything, it has no affect on those joining his game.

OR, you can use the save editor to change your DQVC list.  OR you can use an AR to either change the list, or change one of the stornway shops to sell stuff, maybe all the DQVC exclusives.

I have to get going, Mum's day and all that.

Oh, remember when I said DQ9's 100 level tension boost = 6.5x?  I was wrong about that.  It's 6 + (level/10+1)~4, meaning level 30+ = max tension modifier as it can only go up to 6+4.  So it's 10x effectively at 100 tension.

Also Oomph in DQ9 is different.  It's a 1.5x modifier, but to Attack, NOT to damage like in all previous DQ's.  Which explains why Oomph is effective even at 999 attack.  Just thought I'd mention it.

So I think I've narrowed down my solos down to...

Mage
Special Skill Set: Spellcraft
Weapon Skill Sets: Knife, Shield, Wand, Whip
Coup de Grace: Ozone
Co-op de Grace: Cast Away

Martial Artist
Special Skill Set: Focus
Weapon Skill Sets: Claw, Fan, Fisticuffs, Staff
Coup de Grace: Roaring Tirade
Co-op de Grace: Omnipotense

That should be interesting.  Just note that Meditate is 80-89 healing per use.  I believe you can tension boost it, but you cannot land a critical, and you cannot alter it based on stats.

I'm not even sure what Magical Might is for. DQ9 didn't have spells doing a standard amount of damage? (like 15-20 for Frizz, etc)

Magical Might boosts damage to all damage based spells and some skills. It takes from DQ8's alteration to spell/skill damage where Wisdom boosted some skills and virtually all spells.  Only the increase continues onward to 999, unlike DQ8's where it can top off at 200, maybe 480 depending on the character and spell.

All spells do a baseline damage and there's a modifier where from a certain MMight or MMend level, the spell does more.  This includes healing spells (Mmending affects that).

What's even more fun is that spells can critical now, and Deftness is then useful for Mages and Priests...

Mage can heal via:
88 Knife - HP Hoover - Deals damage and restores health.
44 Wand - Caduceus - Heals a single character.

Is Caduceus reliable enough? Mage... actually seems somewhat useable in DQ9?! Access to healing, stuff to recover MP easy, etc. Or is this just face value and everything resists magic/MP costs are too high?

Like Meditation, Caduceus is a fixed heal rate.  I don't know for sure if it can be tension boosted either (you can always supplement with items).  HP Hoover is a better skill overall, you can Oomph and then use it a few times.  It's still a very small amount of healing, about 25% rounded down, so aim for strong knives and you should be ok.

Everything has magic resistance of some level.  They split elements into more parts: Earth, Dark, Fire, Wind, Lightning/Explosion, Light, and Water/Ice.  Mages only have Lightning/Explosion, which is the most effective in that the fewest number of enemies resist it of the AoE spells, but it also has the fewest number of monsters weak to it, Water/Ice which is useful versus some, Fire which is useful versus enemies strong versus water, but is ONLY single target.

Considering, Mage is doable, will be difficult though, especially due to lack of HP.  MP costs are VERY high though for higher level spells.  For example, Crackle is an 8 MP spell, hits a group, deals baseline 42-58 damage.  The next in line is Kacrack, which costs 24 MP, and deals baseline 80-104 to all.  At very high MMight the difference in MP cost to damage ratios between the two spells evens out, but you won't hit that without seed farming and getting all MMight boosts, along with hitting level 99.  Up to that point, Kacrack remains a much much higher MP cost to damage ratio.  The final level is even worse!  Kacrackle costs 50 MP, deals baseline 165-205 to all.

You could say this is because Kacrack and Kacrackle attack all enemies instead of a group, but this holds true for all spell groups, and all the others maintain their target type.  It's not like the old days where you actually saved MP by casting the higher level spell where MP to Damage ratio was more favourable for high level spells versus low level.  Total opposite.

So end-game is going to be rough going, especially given the LOW Mp pool you'll have.  156MP at level 40 is like sacrilege in a DQ, even with the +30 from  Spellcraft.  It harkens back to DQ2 and 3 MP levels (and 186 MP will be EATEN alive by your MP pool).  One way to look at this is offensive magic in DQ9 is done as way to help clear trash mobs.  It does help if you equip wands since that +100 MP helps a lot, along with the 84 points for Auto MP recovery, or you can use Focus Pocus to heal MP per round.

Then make Elfin Elixirs or Sage Elixirs just in case.

One more tidbit about my solo run from Hell, I didn't connect to WiFi at all. No DQVC, no guest armor (which is actually quite good for ingame), nothing.

How do you solo DQ VI DS? Can you just leave everyone except the Hero in the Wagon?

One more tidbit about my solo run from Hell, I didn't connect to WiFi at all. No DQVC, no guest armor (which is actually quite good for ingame), nothing.

How do you solo DQ VI DS? Can you just leave everyone except the Hero in the Wagon?

Hell indeed my friend.  Hell indeed.

Easy, pre-murdaw: Kill everyone who is not to be the solo party.

Post-Murdaw: stuff everyone but Ashlynn in Patty's Planning Place (you cannot place her in Patty's place ever).  Kill Ashlynn, place her in the Wagon, or don't kill her and place her in the wagon (just note it's not a proper solo if she's alive).

I don't mind that. I just want to play through only using the Hero.

Well, base attack value can never exceed 999, but yes, you can have 1498 after Oomph, and it's quite necessary due to most people being unlikely to seed far to 999 Attack, and the supremely high defense of several Legacy bosses at level 99, where only 4 classes can actually produce, normally, over 1 damage at standard max stats with level 99 and the +100 Strength from skill trees along with the +60 weapon attack and strongest weapons (mostly because seeds only affect 1 class, and while farming in this game with 4x people stealing is actually very productive at 500+ Deftness...thanks Ranger + Deftness boosts via equipment, it's still tedious when you consider you have to be awfully careful about who gets what seeds).

Well the problem with a solo Mage if you're not going to skill farm, is you'll be missing out on Shields, which is almost vital and necessary given Mage's horrible HP growth (390 at level 99...only 166 at level 40).  This poses a severe threat due to Mages capable of being one-shotted by Goreham Hogg and Goresby Purviss, both of whom have very high critical rates and 2x attack per round.  So you're very susceptible to an instant KO per round.

Here's how I would approach it.  Start as a Minstrel like normal, get 100 points, put them exclusively into Shields, if only for the Shield scroll.  Then switch to Mage.  Similarly with your Martial Artist.  The core problem being Mage's cannot do fantastic damage, and HP Hoover won't be viable unless you power level a bit (heck, you'll need to power level for access to the skill), post level 70, with decent knives, you'll outstrip Caduceus, but not by much, and even then ONLY with Oomph in place, and this remains so through to 99.  Martial Artists at least have the ability to Psyche UP.

I'm only saying this to avoid frustrations.  Gorresby Purviss can nail a mage at level 50 with top gears for about 30-50 per normal hit, has several defense ignoring attacks that can strike for over 100 damage, AND can critical in the 200+ range (which on its own is an instant OHKO pre-70, since his str is 220, and thus can critical just past the 242 HP marker at level 60, meaning a crit from him at level 70 with full HP will put you in the red).

To even consider a solo campaign, Shields is almost necessary (or extreme luck with block/dodge rates).  You possibly can pull it off without, but I would seriously consider starting out normally so you can take advantage of the first 100 points as a Minstrel.

Edited by ignasia7

Not bad, not bad at all.  I managed to finish leveling to 21 by 2:23, which means a 13 minute window killing 5 Metal Slimes out of a total of 8 spawns (sadly it would be MUCH better but one spawn had over 40 other monsters in between, and I had one battle where a slime left me with 2 other enemies, and it took me 3 rounds after that to escape....after 2 previous rounds, so an extra 2 minutes or so of battling time, which means this CAN be done in about 7-10 minutes).

I went to Stornway, though I foolishly forgot to use Evac first, and lost an additional 1-2 minutes walking outside, but at least i winged fast enough.  Triggered the Krak Pot unveiling, then rested, then triggered the first Krak Pot discussion, snagged the Alchenomicon and made 13 Special Medicine.  Then warped immediately to Coffinwell, placed the meds in my inventory and saved at 2:27.

For all that, 2:27 is pretty grand a time.  So I'm going to attempt to level to 24 since that will get me through to Bloomingdale (and it will ensure I can immediately unlock Gladiator and pump early points into Spears!).  Booyah!

I have nothing to do today so I'm going to take advantage of the lull to get as far as I can.

Quarantomb is owning me left and right.  I can't catch a break going to level 24.  I really really want to see that liquid metal blood oozing all over that dungeon, I wish to succumb to my inner demon and play the wicked dance of primordial death on their squishy metallic bodies.  I embrace the dance of death, and I shall devour them, experience and aggravating smiles all!

Err, ya, anyway, onward to the slimy slaughter!

What class are you going to be using for the remainder of the game? Still Minstrel but using other classes low-levels for skill points?

The shield thing is... a dilemma, but I understand about how common criticals become later on. Does maxing Shield out to 100 provide any passive benefits other than the critical hit prevention? And do I need a Shield on to prevent the critical attacks, or do I just need that scroll?

If it provides no other benefits, I'll probably do that. As it stands, it doesn't necessarily make things easier, just less luck-reliant.

Either Priest or Minstrel (leaning towards Priest now, since Minstrel is very iffy, and even the original 7:55er (I keep forgetting his gamefaqs name) had a very rough time in end-game with just Midheal.  If I can possibly unlock Ranger, I'd prefer that: Moreheal AND decent attack, along with the highest Deftness so higher critical rate!

However I've killed every legacy with a mid-level Priest and Sage (Sage was pimped out with stat seeds, having 500 Strength, 999 HP/MP, near max MMend AND MMight, 900 Agility, about 750-800ish Charm, 500ish Resilience, and like 600-700 Deftness...without equipment, but the Priest has only about 10-30 stat seeds used on every stat, so 20-60+ to its stats).  Anyway, soloing those two in my main 600+hour game was cake, even without seriously stat seeding the Priest.  Just meant a few more heals by the end of the battle.

I finished the previous solo game as a Priest, but that one had every class skill set mastered, and I found it way too easy, even at his low low low level.  So with Guts and Courage mastered, I should be aok.

Shield's passive benefits: +6% block, which isn't much.

Shield + Scroll is required to block critical hits.

Did you record and cross check exactly how much damage the Rogue Night took per round?  Given range of damage, it could be possible the Rogue Night was nailed with high damage..

I also have to wonder if like normal monsters, tournament monsters have a +/-10% hp range off the base value.