Ignasia's Super Solo Hero Quest Playthroughs!

I'm totally changing the order around given life is really getting the in the way and I'm getting maybe 1-2 hours a night, if that, of actual free time outside of the random bursts of stolen free-time I take to post here and on GFaqs.

So, without further ado, the order of playthroughs:

1) Dragon Quest IX

2) Dragon Quest III SFC

3) Dragon Quest VIII

4) Dragon Quest IV DS

5) Dragon Quest V DS

6) Dragon Quest VI DS

7) Dragon Warrior VII PSX

Mostly because of the time forced on me by Dragon Quest VIII and my normal playthrough.  I should've been done a week back, but I'm not.  I also expect at least 3, maybe upwards of 6 resets on my Dragon Quest IX runthrough in an attempt for a good completion time.  I also decided to expand the total time to a final range of 7 to 9 total hours.  Anything above 9 is to be deleted and restarted, unless this occurs 3x in a row, in which case I'll accept the 3rd 9 hour + completion time as luck was just not on my side.  There is one other exception, anything 9+ that occurs by May 19th.    This is mostly because I WANT to get my post-game quests and all inn guests legit.  So Dragon Quest IX has to be completed by the 19th of next month.

Since I'm playing it out of order somewhat, I thought I'd throw in a 8 between 4 for some semblance of fun, but I'd rather end on the highest note anyway, and finish with my favourite, 7.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired from eating every seed I find on the ground, in pots, barrels, or c

Wow...undead and Goodybags are immune to Kamikaze, that works just fine for me.  So now it's just Angelo, Yangus, and Jessica versus the Swordsman's Labyrinth.   Yangus is now level 6.  10 points in

Hi all, so currently I'm replaying through 2 separate games of Dragon Quest VIII.   Initially I played a normal game way back.  Then a Fisticuff Only Challenge, then a Low Level Challenge (finished

Hehe, ya, actually I've done a solo before, but not a speed run.  I was, about a 2-3 months ago, involved in doing simultaneous speedruns with Nfrazee from Gamefaqs, attempting to find methods to beat the current 7:55, and aftering scouring youtube for emulated play speedruns, I was very disappointed in that the shortest emulated one was like 12 hours...and I know it can be done in MUCH better time.  The original 7:55 solo speedrun was done quite inefficiently using Metal Slash for Metal Stacks and LMS kills, and not abusing the fact that if you're going to level up Sword, Thief/Warrior are easy to abuse for skill points early on.  Gladiator becomes the only easy unlockable given Dragon Slash is the first Sword skill, and level 1 Thief after some points into the MA skill tree for psyching up, is like a few minutes spent hunting around Angelfalls.

I should do a full runthrough of my plans, I reprinted in an earlier post my main key points from the thread both Nfrazee and I posted in on GFaqs.  I should sort through that and give a more thorough plan.

This much holds true, for the first 6 bosses, maybe first 7, Minstrel is almost absolute as the core class given its Coup De Grace.  Best Coup De Grace would be Ranger for this given the extra 1% trigger, and the overall bonuses are slightly better since it's not dependent on luck  for counter attacks/dodges.  My first attempt, awhile back, like maybe a year after the game came out, was pure luck, killing Wight Knight at level 8 (yes, 8).  Two Coup De Grace triggers, and a lot of critical hits, plus he almost never healed and I managed to get lucky dodging his Multithrust.  I've never since been able to mimic that battle, nor has Nfrazee.  The closest I've gotten is level 11, but even that was rough going, and pure luck.  Level 12 is the only sure-fire method.

The trick is to realize that the Hexagoon requires no additional armour than what is provided, to get the Holy Water in the Observatory (but nothing else until leaving, then grab the Chimeara Wing on the right with luck an herb or two will drop from the barrels/pots in that same room, and finally the Seed of Life before exiting, since it respawns when the game returns there).  Then picking up the Scale on the caved-in Stornway side on the way to Stornway.  Talking to the King then immediately leaving for Zere to farm exp/gold, buy a few things in Zere, then finish off level 12 aiming for Clogs/Mini Medals, opening the door to the upper area, and snagging the best helmet at this point in the game in Doomingale.

Then winging back to Zere, saving, and heading straight for Wight Knight, with resets if no Coup De Grace in the first 5 rounds (or excessive healing).  Even then it has to last longer than 3 rounds, and has to trigger the counter attack, or it was a pointless CDG and requires a restart.  Should be around 1 hour 20 minutes by Wight Knight, at 1 hour 40 at the maximum...something like that anyway (I don't have the preferred times memorized).

Edited by ignasia7

;) Man Ignasia, you're quite the brave player soloing all of the other DQ games (save for DQ II I think) awesome job man :thumbsup:

Heh, ya, DQ2 would have to be Cannock, and whew, ya, I don't think I have the stomach to force that doomed train off track so it doesn't end up mired in the Phantom Forest.

Edited by ignasia7

Heh, ya, DQ2 would have to be Cannock, and whew, ya, I don't think I have the stomach to force that doomed train off track so it doesn't end up mired in the Phantom Forest.

Cannock is an inferior Lorasia.

He only gets up to HealMore... which Lorasia can have too via Heal Shield.

I stopped my Lorasia run at Rhone (at level 30/31 or something) due to the tedious grinding, but I saw no reason I couldn't beat Hargon and Sidoh. Mind you, this was in the GBC one, so there would be no OHKOing Malroth with a lucky crit due to his low HP.

OH right, I forgot about the Heal Shield.  Hmm, I might consider it.  SFC version though.  Not much different.  GBC in some ways is a bit easier due to one armour being slightly better.  I'd just do a standard run though, not a shopless run.  No Shop DQ2 solo would be pretty painful I would think.

Heck, why not.  I'll do it at the end though, as a maybe, if I still feel like it.  This is a long enough engagement.  Right now I have some free time so I'm doing alchemy (DQ8 alchemy is so painful sometimes, I'm so glad for 9's alterations to the concept, especially for multiple alchemy at one time, and automatic ingredient grabbing).

Edited by ignasia7

In the last throws of my DQ8 playthrough.  I finished all required alchemy, save one: Metal Wing.  Hero is now level 99, and only Jessica and Angelo have any levels left to gain.

I hate DQ8's drop rates, I don't like the intimidation system, and while it's great normal drops are 1 per group, it seems like 1/256 drops are less common here than in other DQ's.  Or maybe I should say my luck has just been supremely bad, as I recall having like 12 Seeds of Strength my last playthrough, after only 500 Mimics killed, this game, over 2,000 and 8 seeds, which is in range of what 1/256 should be.  I hate the stealing system, I don't like the lack of alternative hunting options, like in every DQ from 3-7 and 9...and while the voice acting is great, there is one glaring problem:

I DESPISE the voice they used for Rhapthorne.  It's not intimidating, it's not powerful.  It's just annoying, grating, and is clearly one reason why my memory of the bulbous firefly is so lacking in respect.  I can't respect anything that sounds like that.  Though frankly it annoys me this is the first and only Dragon Quest where there are exactly 4 separate stories about the nature of Rhapthorne.

First, upon entering the Dark Ruins, Rhapthorne is this all powerful demi-god, or God-like being that created the World of Darkness by slaying the weaker monsters of the world of light, then using their bodies to form this alternative world.  The Rhapthorne we know of in the Dark Ruins has one statue in the first area, which makes him look like some demon akin to Baphomet, then in the mural that is required to manipulate to head to the sanctuary at the bottom, we're shown what looks like a horned/bearded goat-like being in a robe.  The facial shape different, and noticeably fatter than the statue in the front.

Then we're told, in Marta's sanctuary, that Rhapthorne is an all powerful evil parasite that was barely held back by the 7 sages and Empyrea, and he came from the dark world.  This implies he did not create the dark world, but was merely a product of it, indicating the above is a lie perpetuated by Rhapthorne himself to ensure obedience from other monsters.  Empyrea's concept is different, because it's implied she can breach worlds to warn only of Rhapthorne, which is contrast to the explanation of Rhapthorne given here.  Saying he's both a normal demon lord and in another breath, that he's just so powerful all worlds must be warned of his potential invasion.

Between the stories told at Empychuu, Dark Empychuu, and Tryan Gully, Rhapthorne is just a nasty demon lord who simply wants more power and Empyrea is a saviour who helped the Sages stop him, but he's actually granted even LESS power here.  So as time goes further on and we find new places, Rhapthorne becomes less and less menacing.

Then we have Marcello's stealing of the Staff, and the very fact that he can overcome the will of Rhapthorne, even AFTER the blood seals are broken, further compounds on the growing notion that he's all talk and no action.  Combined by the fact that his voice doesn't...change after Marcello is weakened.  There's also Marcello's implication, after the events at Neos, that he was on the verge of sucking Rhapthorne dry of power.  This further progresses the idea that Rhapthorne is a lot of talk and nowhere near the threat he's made out to be.  This is further compounded by earlier events, where Dhoulmagus' power and Rhapthorne's control over him increased substantially with each kill made of the chosen heirs.

Finally we have what is described in the books in the Black Citadel, which, like in Marta's sanctuary, indicate a duality in approach to Rhapthorne's nature.  One, we learn that Dragon's were the real threat, not Empyrea or the Sages.  They were considered nuisances.  This implies Rhapthorne is quite powerful.  Until it is shown that the world of light and dark were once whole, then separated, but NOT by Rhapthorne, and no indication as to why or how, or who did it (the only clear distinction is that Rhapthorne is not given credit, which is something he clearly would have done given the lore passed down to monsters loyal to him, as shown in the Dark Ruins).  We're also told that he has apparently limitless power, but still needs the castle to augment his strength to bring about his final plan: reunite both worlds into one and rule as a God.  Strange that he requires this power.

What's further odd is his form, which is presented as his "true form" is nothing like any picture or statue that has been presented.  He's literally a fat bulbous firefly with miniature horns, and a relatively small body.  Nor does he wear any form of robe, and has no beard or sizable face to speak of.  Even after uniting his essence with the castle to form a new body, he still looks nothing like what was presented, and rather than having an intimidating voice, it's just a lower pitch of the original gratingly annoying voice.

I officially declare Rhapthorne my least favourite villain in DQ history.  The most schizophrenic villain in DQ history, and I have to wonder two things: 1)who made the decision to allow that kind of a voice for a villain, and 2)Horii has always been consistent about the abilities and powers of every villain before this, so why so many inconsistencies?  Clearly it cannot be localization issues.  It's just interesting to note he really is the only villain who is treated as this all powerful thing, and yet he's not even close.

Alright, I have to go and help a friend out.  Hopefully I'll be finished with this either tonight or tomorrow night, and then I start on DQ9.

Wow, I've never seen such a good summary of his background. You've convinced me to regard him as my least favorite villain as well.

;) Stealing rates in Dragon Quest games have always been notoriously low for those trying to steal items. In Dragon Quest VIII the item rates changed I'm guessing due to the fact that enemies can drop more than one item now.

Heh, probably Slime Master...probably.

Wow, I've never seen such a good summary of his background. You've convinced me to regard him as my least favorite villain as well.

Heh, I'll give him credit on one thing though, assuming Horii had his head on straight when writing him, since normally he's pretty solid at keeping consistency and coherence, I'll have to give Rhapthorne props for overselling himself.  Sometimes deception is the most effective tool in war, and even Sun Tzu advises on deception, though usually going the opposite direction (appearing smaller and less threatening so as to throw off your enemies, and embolden them to stupidity), but there are a few occasions where he believed it was important to oversell and appear more powerful.

Anyway, time to find those orbs and get this show on the road.  I already started on a DQ9 prerun, for some timing tests.  Fastest I can get through the Hexagon is 14 minutes (maybe 13 if I didn't make so many mistakes in the menu like pressing the wrong buttons, and entering the wrong menu's), starting at level 4. 

Absconding with a certain 'orse princess.

Righto, saved, now to clear the post-game.

End of my prior DQ8 playthrough

Beaten the first form of Dragovian Lord, unlocked the Trials, obtained the Argon Ring, finished off the Mini Medal side quest (sadly I'm missing one medal at 114, but that's ok).  Currently letting the game auto-level Jessica to 99 (level 97 now).  After this I'll go around killing the rest of the post-game Notorious Monsters for their coins.

Oh, I find it interesting that there is no value in keeping the Metal King Spear.  I rather wish they gave it some property, but with the Demon Spear and Hero Spear, it is totally outclassed.  That and the Metal Wing Boomerang is far superior in everyway (and it has a massive impact on the road to the dias).

What annoys me to no end is the metal boosting properties and even normal attacks are not boosted against metal monsters by Tension.  Despite that 1x7.5 = 7.5, rounded down to 7 damage, the game doesn't care, and it's designed to default damage to 1, with the exception of one skill: Metal Slash.  Metal Wing Boomerang also gets NO bonuses from any boomerang skill, making Crosscutter the only useful attack with it (granted this is quite helpful versus large groups of Metal Slimes and Liquid Metal Slimes).  Even the Liquid Metal Sword, since it cannot work with Falcon Slash (does 0-1 damage with either hit, which is thankfully fixed with DQ9), is just fodder for the alchemy pot for the final sword (unless Jess has swords).  Very sad.

Sadly the tension boosting monster team has no value in the end and post game.  They're just too weak, and die in the first round, meaning they're only useful for a single tension boost for one of the bosses, then it's back to Morrie to revive before taking on the next.  So I think I'll retire it for now and make my monster teams the following: Metal Slime, Liquid Metal Slime, opening for Hev, and The Legends (because I've never used them before).  I'll snag the other two slimes as well, since Ultrus is more useful for his Omniheal, in case I want to change out to him.

Update on DQ8: DONE!  Now onto the solo hero challenges.

Anyway, so since I'm already starting in on my DQ9 pre-play, I'll get into the point and purpose of this:

No FAQ that exists is 100%.  Sorry Damage Dealer, your faq is short, simple, it's good and quite useful, but there are a few missing tidbits, and some stuff isn't mentioned at certain points that are accessible, but placed in later, either in the boxes that indicate items or just in the text (and missing in the box...which is confusing).  SO, I had initially planned to do a prerun, both for some measure of speed, and the other for an idea of finding every possible item I can that could be of use.  I fully expect this run to end around the 12 hour marker, however I'll be marking time to get an idea of how long and how effective I can be with luck and speeding up leveling at particular points to get an idea of how long I SHOULD spend when the next play starts, IE the real thing.

So without further ado, my current progress and layout, based on what I wrote of this preplay/prepplay in my DW3 Gamefaqs topic!

CURRENT PLAY: Dragon Quest IX solo speedrun preplay (I initially called it "Chest Check")

Character Creation: Female (THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST, male is possible, but female special gear has too many bonuses to ignore, especially when alchemy is either a no-no or to be used only sparingly).

Meet Anitasha!

Planned Skill Path:

1) Getting Metal Slash first, so 13 skill points in Swords. No more Swords after that point.
2) Getting 12 in Shields.
3) Getting 10 in Litheness.
4) Getting 8 in Spellcraft for Wizard Ward (Armamentalist is almost a must given it's easy to level, good hp, thus makes for a good class to farm points)  <<--maybe
5) Getting 16 in Focus, then unlock Gladiator with Thief
6) Saving up points for Spears or Axes, going straight for 100 (spears is overall better given selections, alchemy, and Multithrust being one of the best skills in the game, so I might just go with that).
7) Courage to 90.
8) Guts to 100.
9) Shields to 100.
10) Anything else...whatever, maybe get +10 each from Mage and Priest if I can, focus on Priest.

Planned Equipment Path:

1) Pick up Gold Ring near Train, buy 8 Herbs in Angelfalls.
2) Pick up Leather Shield and Feather Fan in Hexagon.
3) Pick up Shell Armor in rear entry of Hexagon.
4) Pick up Gloves near Inn in Stornway.
5) Buy Rapier in Stornway.

6) Buy Bronze Shield and Bunny Tail in Zere.
7) Pick up Gold Bracer, Clogs, and Bandanna in Brigadoom.
8) Equip Iron Gauntlets from Wight Knight.
9) Buy Iron Sword/Armor/Shell Shield from Coffinwell. Buy 48 Herbs to make Special Medicine.

10) Pick up Iron Kneecaps in Twyll Cave.

11) Pick up Cautery Sword in Stornway (need Thief's Key)
12) Perhaps some accessory alchemization for Bloomingdale's boss. <<--I need to work things out first here.
13) Buy Magic robe, armor, and gauntlet, find Magic Shield in the Plumbed Depths
14) Alchemize any Ethereal upgrades possible.

Enchanted Stone, need at least 1 (Gauntlet): Thunderballx2 + Ice Crystalx2 + Mystifying Mixture

...one Enchanted Stone dropped by Godrango

Ethereal Stone, need at least 2 (Gauntlet + Shield): Enchanted Stone + Perfect Panacea + Narspiciousx2

15) Pick up Spiked Armor in Coffinwell (need Magic Key) <<-very useful versus physical bosses

16) Spear Alchemization

Spears:

Long Spear 29atk (bought: Coffinwell)

Holy Lance 39atk +20% versus Undead (bought: Dourbridge)

Celestial Spear 70atk +20% versus Undead (alchemy: Long Spear + Holy Talisman + Platinum Ore) <<-can be made as soon as Bloomingdale

Battle Fork 47atk +20% versus Aquatic (bought: Bloomingdale)

Trident 65atk +20% versus Aquatic (alchemy: Battle Fork + Seashellx2 + Crimson Correlx2) <<-can be made as soon as Bloomingdale

Gracos's Trident 88atk +20% versus Aquatic (alchemy: Trident + Mighty Armlet + Densiniumx2)  <<--big maybe, Trident should be enough

Lightning Lance 85atk Element: Blast (bought: Upover)

Storm Spear 97atk Element: Blast (alchemy: Lightning Lance + 5x Thunderball + Gold Bar (Bowhole)) <--can be made as soon as Upover is reached, not necessary though, but is a solid maybe and the best end-game spear

17) Buy Magical Skirt in Swinedimples Academy

18) Pick up Safety Shoes in Magmaroo

19) Pick up Goddess Ring in Observatory (need Ultimate Key)

20) If enough medals, pick up Sacred Armor from Medal collector in Dourbridge

21) Pick up Mirror Armor and Spellward Circlet in Realm of the Mighty

EXTRA EQUIPMENT INFORMATION for Minstrel and Priest:

Body Armor:

Iron Cuirass (Min / Priest)

Magic/Enchanted/Ethereal Armour (Min / Priest)

Spiked Armour (Min)

Sacred Armor (Min)  <<-in some ways this is superior, versus: physical

Mirror Armor (Min)  <<-in other ways this is superior, versus: magical, the mirror effect does not affect player cast spells in DQ9

If I go Priest, I will HAVE to make at the very least, an Enchanted Stone and get Enchanted Armor as my end-game armour (Ethereal would be too much time), the positive about this is I cut out a good deal of time, roughly 10-20 minutes, of going back to hunt for specific gears, and I can avoid getting the Mirror Armor in the final dungeon, which cuts out a LOT of time there.  So I may actually be able to fit in an additional Enchanted Stone to make an Ethereal Stone for the Armor.

Headgear:

Trailblazing Bandana (Min / Priest) +5 mMending (BUT can be used in alchemy for a Mercury's Bandana that adds +20 agility and 3 more mMend by mixing it with an Agility Ring, and can also be worn by both classes)

Fur Hood (Min / Priest) -10% versus ice

Spellward Circlet (Min / Priest) +19 MMight/Mend, -25% snooze/whack/fuddle/fizzle

Arms:

Linen Gloves (Min / Priest) +10 deftness

Iron Gauntlets (Min)

Magic Mittens/Enchanted/Ethereal Gloves (Min / Priest) +4/7/10 MMight/Mend, -4/7/10% Fire/Water/Wind/Bang/Dark  (Must get at least Enchanted, though Ethereal would be divine, and I MAY have time if I go Priest, otherwise I'll ignore Ethereal for Minstrel)

Legs:

Iron Kneecaps (Min / Priest)

Magical Skirt (Min / Priest) +9 MMend/Might, -7% Fire/Water/Wind/Bang/Dark

Feet:

Clogs (Min / Priest) 1.5% dodge

Wellington Boots (Min / Priest) -10% Bang

Dragon Warrior Boots (Min / Priest) -5% Fire/Dark

Safety Shoes (Min) 2.5% dodge +9 def

Sheepskin Shoes (Priest) 3% dodge +10 MMend

Accessories:

Gold ring +2def

Bunny Tail +5agi

Full Moon Ring -100% paralysis, +5 def

Spirit Bracer +30MP, +4def

Life Bracer +25 HP recovered per turn, +4 def (alchemy: Prayer Ring + Resurrock x3, praying ring in bowhole, resurrock has one in gerzuun, rest from blue chests/lucky drops)

Goddess Ring +1MP/step, +15 MMend, -40% paralysis/snooze/fuddle

The problem I see here is that Life Bracer is a worthy item to get for a Priest, but it will mean more alchemy, and I would only consider it if I'm lucky with a 3rd resurrock.  As things stand I have 1 from a lucky find, and one more from Gerzuun in a chest will make 2, so if I can't get lucky and find a 3rd, I'll have to do without.

MY PROGRESS AND NOTES:

Observatory:
- In Chest Check run ONLY, save: 0:05:48
- Talk to Apus Major
- Outside, left and up: Holy Water*** <<<--no 50g, though I'm reconsidering for a ton of Herbs and a few more Chimaera Wings early on
- Talk to guy guarding stairs
- Talk to Yggdrasil Tree
- Talk to Apus Major
- 1F, right room: Chimaera Wing***, break pots as well, just in case
- 1F, Hidden Room: Seed of Life***
- Talk to chick near center warp

Mini Medals: 0
Seeds: 1Life

Angelfalls:
- Grab Shiny behind Item Shop
- Go to Church, give to Granny
- Go to Barn pick up poop
- Go to Bridge
- Talk to ghost on the right

Observatory:
- Go to Yggdrasil Tree, talk to it

Angefalls (Lv1 Min):
- Head to Mayor's House
- Talk to Erinn
- Wake up, talk to Ivor
- Buy 4 Medical Herbs (On player), 2 Chimaera Wings (In bag), Save, turn off, note Time (Chest Check Run: 0:23:08 - 2 minutes ahead of known best time, 1 minute could be accounted for extra save in Observatory, 1 minute for bumping into walls/people on the way to goals) <<-I should have spent EVERYTHING on Herbs/Wings, and with the extra 50 gold I could have had a decent supply just in case, possibly enough to get me through Wight Knight

Angelfalls (Lv1 Min):
-Left Church, spoke to guy at gate.
-Headed straight for the pass, killing everything on the way. This can be a 5 or a 20 minute period getting to level 4. Why? Rugsacks and Moths. The few of these that spawn, and if they do, the more often they spawn directly in the path (Moths can spawn from about halfway through the trek), the shorter the time. The more slimes and Cruelcumbers, the slower will leveling go. I say this is a 5-20 minute deal also do to the frequency of spawns, which can vary greatly. It's awesome when monsters spawn immediately, but sometimes there can be upwards of 5 seconds of freedom before anything, and often it's far away. So even distance plays a factor.
-Got to the pass, but stuck around outside to hit level 4. Was doing great until just prior to the pass, where spawns dropped to a minimum, and I had 4 slimes in a row, and a lucky sack afterwards which net me my 4th level.

Medals: 0
Seeds: 0 (1Life)

Level: 4 Minstrel

The Pass (Lv4 Min):
-Went for the Chest (Gold Ring)
-Went up to talk to Ivor.
-Winged to Angelfalls asap

Angelfalls (Lv4 Min):
-To the Mayor's House to get yelled at!
-Immediately LEAVE Erinn's house, then Immediately walk back in and talk to her upstairs to heal (I mucked this up, talking to her immediately, then failing to walk completely out, only going downstairs then talking to her...finally walked outside, then in and I could sleep...darn you Horii! That's an extra minute =p!)
-Wake up, put all Antidotes into the bag, place all Herbs into the open spaces! Bought 10 herbs, 2 more wings, saved! (Time now for this playthrough: 35:01 exactly 3 minutes above the known fastest time). <<-that Slime count really hurts, however at this point, while I'll try to move fast, I will be aiming for ALL Red Chests, so times are still useful for reference in terms of maximum time!, or thereabouts...though with the accessories it will probably about equal or better a real time.

Current Playtime - 35:01

...Hmm, I should use some colour, that's really hard to read.  Colour I'll keep simple.  I'm going to add a new section at the end of each area: What is available to find, and what I should pick up.  As I'm going to save before doing anything, then make a run to note every item, and a note to indicate what items I took when I went in for real after resetting back to the save.  Hopefully this will mean a single run and only a single run, rather than doing one after this.

Hexagon (Lv4 to start, Lv6 before Hexagoon, Lv7 after Hexagoon)

- leave Angelfalls, hugging the water, killing anything directly in path *unless it's a slime or cruelcumber*, walk around south mountain bend and b-line, again killing anything directly in path *especially the butterflys, sacks, and archers*

- enter Hexagon, head straight North and talk to the plaque to trigger the ghost.

- immediately after regaining control, follow it trying to hug the wall as much as possible to cut down on seconds, talk to it, then check the statue and walk back to the plaque to find it's moved.

- walk through doorway and head East and South to a chest with a Leather Shield (equip immediately)

- walk back North and take the right stairs down to B1.

- walk straight North and straight for the stairs to B2 in the center, avoid Goodybags, the rest can be killed.

- walk North then West to a chest with the Feather Fan, equip it.  Kill everything in path but Goodybags, heal if HP is below 16.

- walk East to stairs to B1, section 2.

- walk North and enter doorway, AVOID ghosts if possible: if still level 4, kill a few things here till 5.  Level 6 is acceptable, but not necessary. Hit level 5 in the main run, 6 in the chest run.

- walk into the West wing for a chest and a seed, then head up the stairs, heal to full and talk to Patty.

*Boss Battle* Hexagoon *Boss Battle*

Round 1: Use Holy Water

Round 2: Attack

Round 3+: If HP<16 Heal, else Attack

Should take 7-10 rounds depending on damage and how often he uses stomp (pray for his stomp attack), if for some miracle Coup de Grace triggers on Round 1, use it, and battle may end in 4 rounds if level 6, 5 if level 5.

Items to be found: [L1] - Leather Shield (right wing) / [b1] - Blue Chest (lower left) / [b2] - Feather Fan (upper left), 210g (bottom) / [b1] - Blue Chest (left wing) / [b1] - Seed of Deftness (left wing)

Medals: 0

Equipment: Leather Shield / Feather Fan
Seeds:  1 Deftness (1Life / 1Deft)

Level: 7 Minstrel (chest run), 7 Minstrel (real run1), 6 Minstrel (real run2)

Skills: Swords (6)

Angelfalls (Lv7/Lv6)

- immediately after Hexagoon battle and cutscene, use a Chimeara Wing to jump to Angelfalls

- enter village, walk straight to Inn for a cutscene  <<-really is a shame you can't bypass cutscenes, Mistake in my second Real attempt, walked to Erinn's house first.  Going to see how much of a time difference this is

- head to Erinn's house and talk to the ghost in front of it

- after cutscene, CHECK gametime

Chest Hunt Playtime: 00:54 (-35 = 19 minutes)

Real Playtime: 00:48 (-35 = 13 minutes on Attempt 1, since I messed up below I'll redo it), 00:47 (-35 = 12 minutes on Attempt 2, even though I messed up above, it's only like 5-10 seconds added, so I'm keeping it as is unless I mess up again prior to saving at Stornway)

...Angelfalls continued

- talk to ghost again

- head to bush on West side of waterfall behind Inn, check with "A" button for the Inny

- head straight into Erinn's house, upstairs and talk to her   <<-I messed up twice, accidentally opening the Monster data list AND I talked to Edwinn's Ghost after getting the Inny but before talking to Erinn...that's like an additional 10-15s, small potatoes but I'd prefer not to lose it

- after cutscene head East to trigger a second one, say "yes" to Stella to continue

- exit the village and head for the train, avoid any battling if possible

- leave for Stornway asap, make a b-line South for the Stornway entry to Hexagon to pick up: Scale Armour, break two pots (got Lambswool and Angelbell)

- head to Stornway

Stornway (Lv6)

- cutscene, talk to Erinn immediately, leave

- walk North and read the sign <<-I accidentally walked past it first...I think I've added about 30 extra seconds now with all my mishaps, so 1/2 of the bonus 1 minute I managed to "gain" with my accepted real attempt

- talk to the palace guards to get in, walk upstairs and talk to the king, agree to beat the Wight Knight

- SAVE! <<--I should have done this AFTER reading the sign but BEFORE heading into the castle

Real Playtime: 1:00 <<-yes, I am now at 1 hour, so that's 12 minutes of cutscene time and walking time, however it does include nabbing the Scale Armor, which is a VERY vital detour and saves a lot of moola.

Items to be found TOWN: Linen Gloves (Well), Lambswool and 5b/3p/1blue (SW Stairs), Mini Medal (MidWest Chest), Seed of Strength and 1blue (Weapon Shop), Mini Medal (North of Church)

Items to be found CASTLE: Mini Medal and 3b/3p (Soldier Training), ignoring the rest of the pots/barrels/cupboards

Medals: 2 (2)

Equipment: Scale Armour, Linen Gloves
Seeds: 1 Strength (1Life / 1Str / 1Deft)

...Stornway continued

- rest until Night, ignore the castle chests for now, grab the Mini Medal North of the Church, then the head to the Weapon Shop for a Seed of Strength and a blue chest, then just behind the Weapon Shop for another Mini Medal, finally, around to the Well for the Linen Gloves....If timing is perfect, SAVE!  <<--I saved, I really had a flawless victory here =D

Real Playtime: 1:02 (+2 minutes for all those goodies...booyah!)

...Stornway continued again

- exit town heading North to Zere, kill on the way, especially Hammerhoods and the mushrooms

- head through the wheat fields, and pick up any Chimaera Wings on the ground, and target anything in the way

- head further North to Zere, if level 8, switch back to Copper Sword

Zere (Lv9, Lv)

- enter, Chimaera Wing to Stormway, buy a Rapier, Wing back to Zere, hunt until level 10 or 11

- when Level 10, rest at the Inn, buy a Bronze Shield and 4 Chimaera Wings, head North to Brigadoom

Brigadoom (Lv10, )

- enter, head to the right and up into the tower, then up the stairs to the first red chest, then down, past the tower, and to the left to stairs leading to the basement, avoid Lunaticks and Skeletons at all costs, try to avoid as many battles as possible, run if any group has more than 2

- in the basement, head up and left, then take the west path/wing to two red chests with Clogs and a Mini Medal, and pop the barrel and pots (decent possible items like 100+g and more herbs/wings), one pot has a Mini Medal chance

- back around and head to stairs leading up

- pot to the South has a Mini Medal chance

- head up the stairs and open the door, then North and through the door and down the stairs

- down the stairs again and snag the Gold Bracer, then out and battle until level 12

- wing to Zere and rest and SAVE! if time is good (hopefully between 1:20 and 1:30, over 1:30 and reset)

- then head to the Loch

Items to be found: Trailblazing Bandanna (top of SE tower), 1blue (NW room), 1blue (center area outside), Mini Medal/Clogs and 1b/2p (B1 off East wing), Belle Cap (B1 Southern Chest), Gold Bracer (Princess' bedroom)

Medals: 1 (3) +1 <<from a pot

Equipment: Trailblazing Bandanna, Clogs, Gold Bracer
Seeds: 0
(1Life / 1Str / 1Deft)

Skills: Swords (13)

Chest Hunt Playtime: 1:39 (+37 minutes from the 1:02 marker)

Real Playtime: 1:29 (+27 minutes from the 1:02 marker) <<-this is after 6 attempts, and the only one that made it through.  Given I wanted 1:20 to 1:30...eh, I'll take it

Loch Storn (Lv 11 or 12)

- cutscene, say Yes to Stella

- boss battle

*Boss Battle* Wight Knight *Boss Battle*

Round 1+: Attack, if Coup de Grace triggers then use it, if below 25 HP then Heal

Round 7+: If NO Coup de Grace and/or no critical hits versus Wight and/or Wight keeps healing, consider resetting

Round 20+: If not defeated seriously consider resetting

Round 30: RESET, battle has taken too long

Real Playtime: 1:39 (+10 minutes from 1:29 marker) <<-first attempt, 33 rounds and still another 60 HP to break through, so reset, 2nd attempt 28 rounds reset due to too many heals, reset 3rd attempt due to triggering battle on the way, 4th attempt I'm keeping.  Defeated Wight Night in 10 minutes...and effectively 32 rounds, but I don't have time to keep resetting and it's only 2 minutes above my best kill time for him.

Equipment: Iron Guantlets

Stornway (Lv 12)

- wing to Stornway, then rest at the inn and SAVE

- head into the castle and talk to King Schott

- head South to talk to Simona, then follow her to her room

- enter Simona's room, open the Cabinet for a possible Ultramarine glove, then talk to her

- head outside Simona's room, wing to Zere

Zere (Lv 12)

- enter, head around on the left and to the NE house, talk to the lady on the left

- SAVE, head South to trigger a scene with the Wight Knight

- head North to Brigadoom, avoid battle

Real Playtime: 1:43:29

Brigadoom (Lv 12)

- with the door open it will be easy, just head North and up the stairs a little to the NW, then through the doorway to stairs at the top

- walk all the way around to the center area to trigger a scene, then talk to Morag

*Boss Battle* Morag *Boss Battle*

Round 1+: Attack, heal if below 40 HP (in case of paralysis)

Round 30+: Consider resetting, especially if paralyzed more than twice

***OOC: I decided to look at possible lost time.  I lost about 3-4 minutes at minimum (maybe as many as 6) getting through Brigadoom the first time, thanks to running into some unwanted enemy parties of 3+, about 1 minute at the start of the game, another 2 possible minutes with Wight Knight, and another possible 2-3 from not pressing A in battle all the time and more often than not allowing the game to automatically move the battle text forward, along with other blunders which is probably another minute or two.  So all in all somewhere around 8-12 minutes lost.  Not a HUGE amount, but it also doesn't consider the moments of bad monster spawn times and poor spawns for leveling, which is impossible to control, but probably adds another 10 minutes easily, so probably closer to 18-22 minutes lost in total that could be shaved off if this went perfectly.  :OOC***

Real Playtime: 1:56 (+13 minutes from 1:43) <<-reset first attempt, one critical, but was paralyzed thrice and puff-puffed effectively 5x, that's 5x too many, 2nd attempt I died thanks to paralysis and her not wasting the time with puff-puffs, died on my 3rd attempt in only 8 rounds!, but I was victorious with I think a pretty good time on my 4th, nailing 2 critical hits, and getting paused by only one puff-puff.

...Brigadoom continued

- speak to the Knight <<-lost a few seconds walking past him first...brilliant!

- after the cutscene talk to Simona, then walk outside onto the balcony and wing to Stornway

Stornway (Lv 14)

- enter, Save immediately

- enter the castle and talk to King Schott

- walk to the stairs behind the throne, up, and out and to the right to the store room above Simona's to snag 1kg, Aggressence, a Gold rosary, and 2 blue chests, then back down and around to 1F, and to the upper left to raid the Mini Medal in the chest

Medals: 1 (4 + 1)

Equipment: Gold Rosary
(1Life / 1Str / 1Deft)

Skills: Swords (13), Litheness (9)

...Stornway continued

- back in town triggers a scene

- Save, then head back to the train

- enter train to trigger a scene, afterwards wing back to Stornway

- do not enter the city, just walk East then North and to Coffinwell

- avoid Leafs at all costs, they will spell death

Coffinwell (Lv 14, Lv)

- enter and save.

- talk to Mayor Laria

- rest at Inn, purchase Iron Broadsword and Iron Cuirass, 41 herbs (or however many is required to get to 48) and whatever is left towards Chimaera Wings

- talk to Catarrhina the head to Phleming's study and talk to Catarrhina again

- talk to Phleming

- talk to Mayor Laria to get the key to Quarantomb

- talk to Phleming again, SAVE again and leave town for Quarantomb

Real Playtime: 2:10:42

Quarantomb (Lv 14)

- enter for scene

- wander and hunt Metal Slimes until level 21.  <<-heh, passed out while in process, so had to reset

- while hunting pick up Seed of Skill (NW) and Mini Medal (E)...and the Sprig of Narcissus, along with a Toad Oil from the Blue Chest, AND a lucky Seed of Life from the last Metal slime I killed

- should evac (I forgot, and walked out), winged out to Stornway

- entered Inn, triggered Krak Pot scene, rested, triggered Krak Pot dialogue for Alchemonicon, made 13 Special Medicine, then warped out to Quarantomb, placed my Special Meds in my personal inventory...

- SAVE...now determine if time is good (it is) and whether getting to level 24 is a good idea (it is since that level will carry through till Bloomingdale and the Bad Cave!, given after boss battles and a likely few extra battles, Bloomingdale should be hit around 27)

Real Playtime: 2:27:30 <<-restarted this I believe 8 times.  I had one GOOD time of 2:24, but got greedy and decided to hunt more...stupid, so I had to reset after coming a minute shy of 2:40 and only two extra Metal kills to speak of...9 attempts before I had a fantastic time (still could do better as I killed 5 of 8, and I had one long period of nearly 40 enemies before a new Metal Slime spawn, but overall it was an average of 1 in 12, which is pretty decent and acceptable)

Items to be found: Sprig of slipweed (South East), Mini Medal (East), and Seed of Skill (North West)

Medals: 1 (5 + 1)

Equipment: none
Seeds: 1 Skill
and 1 Life from a Metal Slime (2Life / 1Str / 1Deft / 1Skill)

Skills: Swords (13), Shields (12), Litheness (10)

...Quarantomb continued (Lv 21)

- time to level up to 24!

Real Playtime: 2:41:31  <<-13 minutes roughly for 5 kills out of 6...bad spawn times, but 13 minutes is solid and is a nice repeat of the previous leveling attempt.  Heal + save time added the extra minute.

...Quarantomb continued (Lv 24)

- enter and head straight North through the double doors to trigger a scene

- walk up to the gooey mess threatening Phlegming to trigger a Boss Battle!

*Boss Battle* Ragin' Contagion *Boss Battle*

Round 1+: Heal if below 40 HP (Midheal first, then Special Medicine if MP is 0), otherwise attack

Round 1+: IF sapped 1x, repeat above, if sapped 2x either Defend and wait for it to dissipate OR use the sole Shield skill

Round 40+: If battle is still going, seriously consider a reset!

Real Playtime: ...literally NO idea, was lost with a browser crash

...Quarantomb continued (Lv 25)

- Evac and Warp to Coffinwell

Coffinwell (Lv 25)

- Save <<-again, no idea of time since that data is now all gone

- talk to Catarrhina for scene

- rest at Inn until nightfall

- walk to grave and talk to Catarrhina's ghost, say "yes"

- knock on Phlegming's lab, say "yes" twice

- enter house just South of lab, talk to old man

- enter Inn, first door on the left, talk to bunny girl

- up East stairs, enter house in center, talk to guy, upstairs, talk to little girl

- back to lab

- head North and upstairs to trigger scene, through door and upstairs again and into the mayor's house, up stairs for a Feather Headband

- saved

Equipment: Feather Headband

Real Playtime: ...literally NO idea, was lost with a browser crash

...Coffinwell continued (Lv 25)

- Warp to Stornway, head East and to Starflight Express coach

Starflight Express (Lv 25)

- enter for scene, walk to console and check to head to Observatory

Observatory (Lv 25)

- after talking to Apus Major, head downstairs

- pick up Seed of Life on 1F and back up to Yggdrasil

- check Yggdrasil and select "yes"

- after scenes walk South

- walk to the Starflight and enter, then talk to Stella at the console

Seeds: 1 Seed of Life (3Life / 1Str / 1Deft / 1Skill)

Tree Near Alltrade's (Lv 25)

- head South and East towards Port Llaffan

Port Llaffan (Lv 25)

- enter and Save!

- seriously consider buying Wellington Boots and Rubber Gloves for -20% Bang/Lightning (helps with the next boss)

Real Playtime: 3:13:51 (+32:20 from 2:41:31)  <<-not a total loss, only 2 timestamps missing

...Port Llaffan continued (Lv 25)

- Zoom to Alltrade's and enter

Alltrade's Abbey (Lv 25)

- enter and walk directly North for a scene

- talk to the Minister twice

- downstairs and talk to the maid

- talk to the Martial Artist

- back upstairs for a scene, then talk to the Minister to learn how to bow

- SAVE, then setup actions to allow bowing, change items so

- leave for Tower of Trades to the East

Real Playtime: 3:17:20 (+3:29)

Tower of Trades (Lv 25)

- head left, break the barrels (one has a mini medal chance), then North upstairs

- South, through the doorway to the balcony and East to 3 blue chests (all with a mini medal chance), back West through door and break pots near stairs (one has a mini medal chance), the upstairs

- around North then South and hit the red chest for a Mini Medal, then around West and North upstairs

- head "straight" and the up and around to the Northern chest for 1200g, and back around and South then North to a blue chest (mini medal chance) and then upstairs

- head West then North through the center room and upstairs, ignoring red chest  <<-note that upper right and left barrels and pots have one each with mini medal chances, but best to ignore to save time

- around to stairs in center

- grab both chests, ignore plaque, heal using items, and enter doorway for a scene and a boss battle

*Boss Battle* Master of Nu'un *Boss Battle*

Round 1+: Spam Crack or Crackle to maximize damage (he will drain MP almost every round, so take advantage of the consistently high damage)

Round X+: When MP is 0, if his defense is either normal, or he has only 1x Buff active, Attack.  If 2x Buff, Defend.  If HP is 30 or below, heal.  If out of healing items, go for broke and attack every round

Round 30+: It shouldn't take much longer than 20 rounds, but after 30 consider resetting

Items to be found: 3x blue chests (2F balcony), Mini Medal (lower right of 3F), Iron Ore (SW) + 1200g (N) + blue (4F), Iron Gauntlets (5F), Magic Water (NE) + Mini Medal (SW) (7F)

Medals: 2 (7 + 1)

Equipment: nothing work keeping
(3Life / 1Str / 1Deft / 1Skill)

Chest Hunt Playtime: 3:xx (+ from 3:17:20) <<-no idea as I didn't check prior to Nu'Un and died within 30 HP of defeating him, then pressed pause instead of going to church...like a boss, I expect something like a +35 minute time

Real Playtime: 3:33:24 (+16:04 from 3:17:20) <<-helps that I found a Sage's Elixir on the way up, which meant another full set of Crackle casts, but I entered battle at 1/2 HP so I lost at least 2-3 rounds and probably took a minute longer than it should have, maybe two...eh, I'll take it, since without the elixir it would probably spike it another 8-9 rounds, unless I had a crit or two, of which I had none, but overall it would still take longer

Alltrade's Abbey (Lv 25)

- exit South, Zoomed to Alltrade's, entered, Saved <<-time noted above

- talk to Abbot Jack, change to Martial Artist, dump points into Focus (only 16), then talk to Jack again to switch to Thief

- downstairs to pick up the Gladiator unlock quest, possibly buy a Long Spear if affordable <<-forgot to buy the spear, also grabbed the Armamentalist unlock quest, which I can do later as a Mage after the other tidbits are finished, or wait until post-game

- equip gear, Save <<-forgot to equip...will do after reloading, and it's better NOT to equip anything but the Copper Sword for now

- Zoom to Angelfalls

Real Playtime: 3:36:49 (+3:25 from 3:33:24)

Angelfalls + Coffinwell areas (Lv 1-18 Thief)

- hunt Slimes, Psyche Up to 100 Tension, then Dragon Slash on 3 separate Slimes  <<-more effective with NO armour and Copper Sword, as slimes are less prone to running

- Zoom to Stornway, hunt until 5

- Zoom to Zere, hunt until 9, purchased 20 Medical Herbs (for Warrior mostly), rest at Inn

- Zoom to Coffinwell, Save!, head out to Quarantomb and hunt Metal Slimes to Lv 18 <<-hit 19

- Zoom back to Alltrade's, change class to Warrior, turned in Gladiator quest, purchased Long Spear <<-equip everything

Real Playtime: 3:50:21 (+13:32 from 3:36:49) in Coffinwell

Real Playtime: 4:01:53 (+11:32 from 3:50:21) in Alltrades after 19

***OOC* Not my finest play.  I had 9 minutes in after snagging level 19 on my Thief, though I failed to kill two of the Metal Slimes out of a total of 4 (would need only 3 if I had killed 2 Flythons on the way in), still 9 minutes is within my under 10 minute rule for Metal Slime farming, though it CAN and should be done in under 6. *OOC***

Level: 25 Minstrel / 19 Thief

Stornway + Coffinwell areas (Lv 1-18 Warrior)

- Zoom to Stornway, hunt to Lv 4

- Zoom to Zere, hunt to Lv 8

- Zoom to Coffinwell, Save!, head to Quarantomb to hunt Metal Slimes to Lv 18

- Zoom back to Alltrade's, switch to Priest

Real Playtime: 4:07:56 (+6:03 from 4:01:53) in Coffinwell

Real Playtime: 4:19:07 (+11:11 from 4:07:56) in Alltrades

***OOC* My Warrior's kill time after failing on 3 Slimes, but nailing level 18, was 4:17, so I'm going to take it, especially since Warrior can't move fast. *OOC***

Level: 25 Minstrel / 19 Thief / 18 Warrior

Skills: Swords (13), Spears (69), Shields (12), Litheness (10)

Stornway + Coffinwell areas (Lv 1-18 Priest)

- Zoom to Stornway, unlock Selma, hunt to Lv 4

- Zoom to Zere, hunt to Lv 9

- Zoom to Coffinwell, SAVE!, COPY SAVE in SAVE MANAGER! <<-done w/ decent Alchaid DQVC items, AND all quests/guests!

- head to Quarantomb to hunt Metal Slimes to Lv 18

- Zoom back to Alltrade's, switch back to GLADIATOR! <<-ya I'm going to go for more farming, first Gladiator, then Mage

Real Playtime: 4:27:49 (+8:42 from 4:19:07) in Coffinwell

Real Playtime: 4:37:51 (+10:02 from 4:27:49) in Alltrades

***OOC* I swear this was mind numbing.   My time should have been closer to 8:00+ minutes, but I kept stalling and bumping into things, probably because I was so happy to finally get a good kill time that I just failed to pay attention, but I didn't feel like going back for another round with Priest....oh heck no.  The hard part is the time it takes to get to Quarantomb is roughly 1min 20s with a bit of a +/- depending on how much I have to avoid, and if I get into any battles.  The second hard part being the MP pool of Priests and the absurdly high costs of skills in this game meant I had 5 total uses of Thunder Thrust, and either 5 Metal slime kills to 18, or 4 metal slime kills and about 1,200 extra exp from other battles.  So it really had to be perfect.  I COULD have waited until after Batsureg and the free Spirit Bracer (+30 MP), but I decided to go for it now, since Spears will make Meddley's and LMS MUCH easier. *OOC***

Level: 25 Minstrel / 19 Thief / 18 Warrior / 18 Priest

Skills: Swords (13), Spears (100), Shields (12), Litheness (10)

Stornway + Coffinwell areas (Lv 1-18 Gladiator)

- Zoom to Stornway, hunt to Lv 2

- Zoom to Zere, hunt to Lv 5

- Zoom to Coffinwell, hunt to level 8 or 9 <<-went to 9

- Save!, head to Quarantomb to hunt Metal Slimes to Lv 18

- Zoom back to Alltrade's, switch to Warrior, dump points into Courage, switch to Mage

Real Playtime: 4:45:50 (+7:59 from 4:37:51) in Coffinwell

Real Playtime: 5:00:13 (+14:23 from 4:45:50) in Alltrades

***OOC* I should not have saved, but I did =p. *OOC***

Level: 25 Minstrel / 19 Thief / 18 Warrior / 18 Priest / 18 Gladiator

Skills: Swords (13), Spears (100), Shields (12), Courage (37), Litheness (10)

Stornway + Coffinwell areas (Lv 1-18 Mage)

- Zoom to Stornway, hunt to Lv 5

- Zoom to Zere, hunt to Lv 9

- Zoom to Coffinwell, Save!, head to Quarantomb to hunt Metal Slimes to Lv 18

- Zoom back to Alltrade's, switch to Warrior, dump points into Courage, switch to Minstrel to continue.

Real Playtime: 5:07:59 (+7:46 from 5:00:13) in Coffinwell

Real Playtime: 5:19:47 (+11:48 from 5:07:59) in Alltrades

Level: 25 Minstrel / 19 Thief / 18 Warrior / 18 Priest / 18 Mage / 18 Gladiator

Skills: Swords (13), Spears (100), Shields (12), Courage (71), Litheness (10)

Port Llaffan (Lv 25 Minstrel)

- Zoom to Port Llaffan

- talk to Jona on the beach

- walk North to trigger scene

- sleep at the Inn till nightfall

- enter the SE house and speak to Jona

- enter the Western house and head to the West room to trigger a scene

- exit the house, save, then head behind the Mayor's house to talk to a child, then head through the gate

Twyl Cave (Lv 25 Minstrel)

- head West then South to enter the entryway

- head South and enter cave to 1F

- up rocks, then take left path to chest with Kneecaps, equip, then North and West, passing doorway, then up stairs and through the door to the Mini Medal, then back out, down stairs and South to exit

- up stairs and enter left-most doorway

- head straight for NE doorway

- head straight for N stairs

- head North to trigger a scene and then talk to the whale to trigger the boss battle

*Boss Battle* Lleviathan *Boss Battle*

Round 1+: If below 50 HP, HEAL with items!, otherwise use Psyche Up to 50 tension, then Multithrust

Round 20+: consider resetting

Items to find: Seed of Magic (entryway, right side), Iron Kneecaps (1F-A) + Ultramarine Gloves (1F-B, lower) + Mini Medal (1F-B, upper), Seed of Agility (2F, lower right) + Mini Medal (2F, upper left) + 1500g (2F, upper right), Blue Jeans (outside back area)

Medals: 2 (8 + 1) <<-skipping the second Mini Medal to save some time

Equipment: Iron Kneecaps
Seeds: 1 Seed of Magic, 1 Seed of Agility
(3Life / 1Str / 1Deft / 1Skill) <<-ignoring both seeds

Port Llaffan (Lv 25 Minstrel)

- scene then head to the docks and speak to the man at the front of the boat to head to Slurry Quay

Slurry Quay (Lv 25 Minstrel)

- Save!

- snag the Seed of Strength

- exit and head for Dourbridge

Seeds: 1 Seed of Strength (3Life / 2Str / 1Deft / 1Skill)

Chest Hunt Playtime: 5:44 (+25min from 5:19:47)

Real Playtime: 5:37:07 (+17:20 from 5:19:47) <<-Sad it's only a difference of 8 minutes to pick up all those chests...oh well

Dourbridge (Lv 25 Minstrel)

- walk East over the bridge to trigger a scene

- down the ladder on the East end and up around to stairs leading to Meddlin's place

- talk to the giant man in red to hand over Mini Medals for rewards, pick up the two chests near him <<--I have 9 so Thief Key and Mercury's Bandana

- leave out the East exit and head South, targeting only Wolves, Clawcerers, Baboons, and Tigertaurs for easy 1-hit kills (thanks Cattle Prod!)

- over bridge, further South and over the next bridge, then West to Bloomingdale

Items to be found: Seed of Sorcery (next to Meddlin') + Mini Medal (Thief Key, near Meddlin') (Meddlin's House), [MINI MEDAL REWARDS: Thief's Key (4), Mercury's Bandana (8)]

Medals: 1 (9 + 1)

Equipment: Mercury's Bandana

Seeds: 1 Seed of Sorcery (3Life / 2Str / 1Deft / 1Sorc / 1Skill)

Bloomingdale (Lv 26 Minstrel)

- speak to the woman near the entrance, speak to the item vendor, buy 5 holy waters

- head to the harbour, on the way buy 2 silver mails, then speak to the man in front of the ship

- head to the Bloome house, talk to the man in front of the gate, then enter the house

- head to the East room for a scene, talk to Ms. Bloome

- exit the mansion and head to the house just left of the mansion and speak to the elderly lady

- head to the shop just left of the church and speak to the man in red

- speak to the ghost of the real Marion and follow her through the door

- ignore the two tombstones in the North and check the lone one in the center for a scene

- head upstairs and into the East room for two chests

- head outside Bloomingdale, head East a little and North up the Bridge, and East again to the Platinum Ore Spawning spot (should be 2 or 3)

Items to be found: Hepheastus' Flame (1F, right exit into main cave off bandit's lair), Mini Medal (North chest near entry) + 1700g (North chest on other side)

Equipment: Strength ring

Bad Cave (Lv 26 Minstrel)

- head back West, hugging the wall and enter the Bad Cave, first through the main (false) entry

- after a scene, head North, read the sign, then choose to sit in the seat for a scene

- head down the stairs and to the East into the bandit's lair

- ignore the path to the left, pick up the pot and cupboard, then around North, snag the blue chests, pots, and barrels, then around to the West and South to exit into the main dungeon

- pick up the Hephaestus' Flame in the chest, then back around to the other exit into the main dungeon

- ignore the blue chest and head NW to the second area

- North and around to the Mini Medal, then back around to the 1700g, avoiding all battles but Metal Meddley's

- do not enter and explore the third area, just hunt Medley's until MP is between 3 and 5, then Evac <<-I hit 29

- check the Platinum Ore spot again in case another spawned

Items to be found: Hephaestus' Flame (first area), Mini Medal + 1700g (second area)

Medals: 1 (10 + 1)

Equipment: 0

Seeds: (3Life / 2Str / 1Deft / 1Sorc / 1Skill)

Level: 29 Minstrel / 19 Thief / 18 Warrior / 18 Priest / 18 Mage / 18 Gladiator

Gold Farming for a lucky Catholicon Ring (Lv 29 Minstrel)

- Zoom to Port Llaffan and buy enough Gold Rings and Gold Bracer's for 2 Gold Mail (needs 1 of each for 1 Gold Mail), then Zoom to Stornway, make Gold Mail (Silver Mail + Gold Ring + Gold Bracer)

- if any royal soil + lava lump + toad oil, use to make 1 Hephaestus' Flame <<-I fudged up, had enough for 1 more, didn't see the Royal Soil, so I spent extra time searching for it, overlooking it, then zooming to Llaffan to find some (1) I didn't need, THEN went back to make the extra flame, but took extra long finding the ingredients, and had to exit then sort my items, THEN made the flame

- make 2 Platinum Mail (Gold Mail + Platinum Ore + Hephaestus' Flame)

- make 1 Holy Talisman (Gold Rosary + 5x Holy Water + Resurrock)

- Zoom to Port Llaffan, sell Platinum Mail and Gold Mail, start process all over again, either 3 or 4 Gold Bracer/Ring<<-I bought 4 of each

- Zoom to Bloomingdale, buy same count of Silver Mail, 3 or 4 <<-I clearly bought 4

- Zoom back to Stornway, make Gold Mail.  If 3, repeat once more the last two steps.  If 4, or after the second 3x Gold Mail run, sell in Stornway's Item Shop and buy the Catholicon Ring <<-I fudged up, clicked DQVC, erased my initial list, so I'm paying for it in spades with about 8-10 minutes extra time added to the clock, almost a full round of leveling, AND being forced to resort to my AR to overwrite the list and buying items at different prices to compensate for the lack of the Catholicon ring being in the position of something worth the same amount, so I'm spending 18,450g for it, snagging a Spirit Bracer and Sorcerer's Stone, which I have to ignore from here on out...go me! =p

- Zoom to Slurry Quay, pick up Agility Ring, SAVE!

Equipment: Holy Talisman (for Celestial Spear), Catholicon Ring, Agility Ring

Real Playtime: 6:23:55 (+46:48 from 5:37:07) with the accidental DQVC list reload (hmm, I had a 6:03 time at one point in the battle records after hitting level 29 in Bad Cave, having 3 Platinum Ores instead of 2, and on my way to Gold Farming, so could be more than 10 extra minutes I wasted...so pointless and stupid, but Lightspeed is still doable, though there is no possible way I can get 9 hours now, it'll be somewhere closer to 10, probably not 10 or over 10, but definitely something like 9h3x-5xm)

Real Playtime: 6:25:48 (+1:53 from 6:23:55) in Slurry Quay before next round of leveling in Bad Cave

Bad Cave Leveling to 35 (Lv 29 Minstrel)

- Zoom to Bloomingdale, head to Bad Cave, enter through right side, open the same pots/barrels/cupboards/blue chests as before, and head to first area with Metal Medley's

- Hunt Medley's until 3-5 MP, Evac, check Platinum Ore spawn spot, check time, if good, Zoom to Slurry Quay, heal + save, then repeat the above until Level 35 <<---planned to be 36, but stopped at 35

- Zoom to Alltrade's Abbey, switch to Priest

Level: 35 Minstrel / 19 Thief / 18 Warrior / 18 Priest / 18 Mage / 18 Gladiator

Skills: Swords (13), Spears (100), Shields (12), Courage (90), Litheness (10)

Real Playtime: 6:50:30 (+24:42 from 6:25:48) <<-Alltrade's abbey, after switching to Priest

Zere Rocks and extra Platinum Ores (Lv18 Priest)  <<-have to redo this again, but I believe it's my best chance for 2 plat ores

- change equipment

- Zoom to Dourbridge, dump any excess medals at Meddlin's, then head out and South

- cross the bridge and instead of heading to the Southern bridge to Bloomingdale, head East and North around the lake

- head into the path leading into the mountains

- straight North into the path that leads to Zere Rocks

- climb the ladder on the left for a Mini Medal, then back down and around and exit at the top

- head left and open the pots and blue chest for 2 possible mini medal chances, then down and straight North to 2 vines, take the right for a chest with a Seed of Deftness, then down and up the left vine, up another, then walk around East, then South, then West to a vine leading up to the next area

- head up to the bridge, skipping the cave, cross it, the up the vine, then West across the vine and into the cave at the top

- head around and upstairs

- head around and exit

- walk around the path and check the blue chest, then up the stairs to Zere Rocks

- enter and around to where Petra's house would be, then enter it

- scene, then talk to the slime, then out the door for a boss battle

*Boss Battle* Garth Goyle *Boss Battle*

Round1-2: Buff

Round 3+: Tension up to 100, keep using Psyche Up if he has Kabuffx2, otherwise use Multithrust, Heal and repeat

Items to be found: I didn't bother recording these beyond the chests I picked up, so, without further ado: Mini Medal (L1), Seed of Deftness (L2)

Medals: 1 (11 + 2)

Equipment: 0

Seeds: 1 Seed of Deftness (3Life / 2Str / 2Deft / 1Sorc / 1Skill)

Level: 35 Minstrel / 19 Thief / 18 Warrior / 19 Priest / 18 Mage / 18 Gladiator

Skills: Swords (13), Spears (100), Shields (35), Courage (90), Litheness (10)

...Zere Rocks and extra Platinum Ores continued

- head down stairs after boss battle and witnessing ghost

- head up to coffin to trigger a scene and get another Fygg

- exit outside

- Zoom to Bloomingdale, run to the Ore spot

Bad Cave (Lv 36 Minstrel)

- Zoom to Bloomingdale, enter Bad Cave through side entry, head directly to the back to fight the boss, only attack Medley's if directly in path, ignore all blue chests in final section

- enter final area of Bad Cave to trigger a scene

*Boss Battle* Tyrantula *Boss Battle*

Round 1+: ???? no plans yet

Edited by ignasia7

Ya, they're good, but they can be better.  Here are the times from a poster on Gamefaqs known as KingofGames, who was attempting the same thing I am:

KoG's
Hexagon: Level 4 @ 0:32
Wight Knight: Level 11 @ 1:16
Headed to Brigadoom: Level 12 @ 1:31

Just the early times.  He actually stopped posting about it around Bowhole, but as you can see, he saved, at level 4, just prior to leaving for the Hexagon, at 32 minutes.  Though in his game he did not go shopping for extra Herbs and Chimaera Wings, and he did not pick up the Chimaera Wing and Seed of Life in the Observatory (only the Holy Water for the 12-16 damage versus Hexagoon).  So I guess in retrospect about the same.

My previous run, when I was doing a serious run, I was around 33 minutes before the Hexagon at level 4, but my herb count sucked and my luck was poor as it took several resets to beat the Hexagon with only 4 herbs and a limited MP pool (I also preferred killing Goodybags for their gold drops, but that's a crapshoot given they can drain MP).  One before it, I leveled to 6, going after the two herb spawning point with that annoying mayor's son, but I didn't save, and never checked my time until after getting the Flappin' Fairy Stella, and it was pretty high, like 1:20 or so prior to convincing Erinn to leave for Stornway.

I do know my Wight Knight time will be higher than his, neither the original solo speedrunner, nor KoG had figured on going up to Brigadoom early to grab some good gear (and the original also forgot about the scale armour on the Stornway end of the Hexagon :)).  So my time getting to Morag will be shorter, and my level versus Wight Knight likely higher, and in the end it should work out with me heading to Brigadoom somewhere between the 1:40 and 1:50 markers (if I do every little thing perfectly, such as hitting the menu options exactly and hit all the fastest routes, or are lucky with battles, I should be able to cut that down to 1:30 even with all that extra work).

...Oh right, I should mention, I'll be "editing" the above post, as it will be my sole gameplay post.  Just to keep things streamlined and overall easier.

Are you going to be recording this via DesMuME?

Nah, this computer is too old to run emulators.  I can barely run SNES9x and VisualBoyAdvance.  About enough time for some codes or a little testing (I CAN run a GBC emulator all day and night, but that's about it, the other two overheat and freeze this computer).

I'll be doing it the old fashioned way.  At the end I'll take short video showing I'm in the post-game (clear screen), and that I haven't spoken to Patty, then go over my stuff, what I have in the bag, money, etc. as proof.  Since Patty only gives Egg-On the first time speaking to her after getting behind the counter at the Inn in Stornway, and gives her special speech about recruiting.

Though if my books sell well, then maybe I'll be able to afford a new computer and I can do this again with an emulator to do a full recording.  I love solo runs in DQ's anyhow (done 3 in 6 now :), 2 in the DS, 1 in the SFC, and I did a dual, Hero + Ashlynn on a DS run for kicks ;), along with a bunch in 3 NES, 1 in 4 NES, 5 SFC, and several solo's in 9 already).  So it's bound to happen!

So far I'd have to say 6 and 9 are a blast to play solo.  3 is darn close. 

6 would be my favourite by far if one of two things happened.  The first being more metal monster spawns, especially Metaly and Metabble (King is well enough represented around the Prison of Sorrow), and maybe a spot with you know...HIGH spawn rates, rather than the 2-5% bs, where the 5ish% is the first time they're encountered in Pegasus' Tower).  The second being, instead of the above, why not offer a multiplier on exp if there are fewer active members, such that if there is only one left alive in both the active and wagon-bound party, he or she will get maybe 2x exp? 

Not that it matters since I could just use an exp modifier code and treat it like 3 and 9's exp system, though I will not for this playthrough, but for future reference.

In other news, I finished everything I wanted to do in my DQ8 normal run.  So onto the solo hero quests!  I have some chores and errands to take care of, and thus this will wait until later tonight, after dinner.

Edited by ignasia7

;) This is truly some impeccable work you got going on IGN, excellent job on all these solo quest FAQs.

Writing.  Not finished with any yet.

I'm surprised Slime Master didn't go with Iggy, that's what people used to default to as a nickname until recently, LOL.  I don't mind, though I agree, IGN is a horrible place.  A horrible place.

Same principal with solo Hero DQ9 and DQ3.  Access to better skills earlier and faster (or in DQ3's case, just higher levels).  I think that's a smart plan.

No, I don't write fanfiction.  I don't mind fanfiction, and I've certainly come up with some interesting concepts to top off a few games, but beyond swirling around in my head, they have gone nowhere.  No, I write original work.  My one problem though is I keep coming up with ideas and I have a hard time finishing off work (it's a psychological thing from my childhood, I know how to deal with it, doesn't make easy, but easier to handle than when not knowing, lol).

Anyway, I have currently 9 books.  One is a series of 4 I call the Ethereal Chronicles.  It's an amalgamation of 4 seemingly different books, 1st is fantasy, 2nd is like a modern mystery, 3rd is sci-fi, 4th is like a strange conglomeration of the previous 3 that melds them together and asks a lot of questions that I hope will stimulate people to think outside the box on what the nature of the universe is and how they can apply themselves.

Then there's a short story I'm working on called "The Master" which is about a boy, his mom, and a dark shadowy figure that is his diabolical father, having trapped both in a tower.  There's a lot of old fantasy magic, mystery, and mythical creatures of all sorts...

Then there's The Alpha System, of which I only have one book started.  Basically given there are two Genesis stories back to back, and the first is Male and Female as equals, the world and everything is created, no destruction, and suddenly we get a second creation with Adam and a girl made from his rib named Eve.  Wanted to tell the "missing" story between those two, and expose my take [see: wild imagination] on the nature of that first creation.  I don't buy for a second the stories rabbi's have told that the first creation is "adam and lillith", which makes no sense.  No name was thus given, and the nature of the first genesis is spiritual.  Technically this is planned to be a 3 book deal.

There's Shifting of the Winds and Ten Days.  Which are the first two books in a planned series about a coming apocalypse where the world is turned topsy turvy and a failed/botched attempt of secret shadow organizations running every world government, running through and with the major world banks and financiers and the affects on various different people around the world as things unfold.  Each story takes place in a different part of the US, at a different point in the process of undermining the US and ensuring Agenda 21's fulfillment (read: Agenda 21 is a real thing, and I highly recommend anyone read it who hasn't...though one should come to their own conclusion).  Anyway, first book, Shifting in the Winds, takes place in New York, around the end of the Occupy Movement, where a newspaper message boy and part time reporter, working to become a major reporter and possible editor, is asked to undertake a strange and possibly his first major assignment after being requested by name by a possible informant/leaker.  He's exposed to a lot, finds it hokey at first, but keeps with it to see if maybe there is something, and is then exposed to a whole underground world filled with danger, and told a few things about the nature of reality after being forced to kill someone to defend his life.  Second one, Ten Days is in LA a few years later, after a major disaster (stocks tank to 10% of current value, and in a matter of 2 days, everything goes to pot), and accounts the first 2 days before, the 2 days during, 5 days of survival, and 10th day is a huge unveiling...

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the book after that.  I haven't planned out much with the third book in the Shifting series, at least by name.  It will be with a new government put into place, but it is not the initial planned government, as the resistance was too fantastic, and many military and police members refused to slaughter their own countrymen, ending everything in a sort of stalemate.  However, nukes were dropped around the world, and now there's a cleanup job.  Tensions are building as the shadow government that started all of this has been reduced, outside of their original plan, to about half, and they are trying to restart a new power structure to take over eventually and fix what went wrong with their seemingly perfect plan.  I mean sociology made people seem so predictable, and using various methods of programming seemed to function with a near 100% success, and the number of expected turncoats in government agencies worldwide was expected to be far lower than what happened.  I think I want to put the main character as an inside man.  Someone who was part of the shadow organization that sought absolute domination and a culling of the population to enact what seemed like a complete control grid.  Does he or she realize the horrors that were unleashed?  What about the main characters from the first two books, did they survive?  I don't know yet.  I haven't gotten that far.

Then there's a short story, unnamed, about a world that is in turmoil, and it flits back and forth between the spirit world and the real world.  Questioning origins and the nature of life.  Most spirits stick to themselves, but a group has separated and wants to run the universe in their own way.  They're not evil, but they are classified as evil and shut off from the rest.  Though as time goes on more and more spirits have a form of "awakening" and leave the larger majority.  The main character is one, but unlike the rest, he is fully aware of what is transpiring above AND below.  So he is "awake" in his human form, and this poses a problem, because the system was designed that the spiritual world not be open to the human world, as it can cause undue repercussions, since a spirit knows the body, while important, is just a tool that can be healed indefinitely as the spirit is eternal and is the "user" so to speak, of the body.  Anyway, it gets weird...

Then, I have a book about a world after WW3.  Everything is gone to pot.  No substructure remains.  Luckily few nukes were used, but the damage despite this, is horrendous.  Guns are outlawed everywhere.  While there are some holdouts who want to maintain technology and seek breakthroughs to fix the damage, most have a sort of "spiritual awakening".  There are more and more people able to use what can be described as "gifts from heaven."  Each of these people hear strange voices that lead them down different paths, some good, some bad.  This has led to a complete reversal as technology is shunned by most of the world, and any town found with any goal towards keeping, improving, and creating new machines, computers, or anything remote close to the concept of science is wiped out immediately, lest mankind fall in love with the wonderment and escapism that led to the ignorance and blatant disregard for humanity and the world...what led to the collapse and what many call the final war.  Yet war still happens, small skirmishes.  It's a blighted and dark place now.  Most are scattered, and while there is some semblance of order, as there are now governments in place, and trade is beginning again, it's an outlaw's paradise.  So enters this one lone warrior.  Formerly a wealthy merchant with blood ties to various royalties, he lost everything after his wife, the daughter of an Arab prince, was killed in cold blood and he was pinned as the murderer.  Thankfully he planned ahead early on, and studied under various masters of various martial arts.  While having no "gifts" of his own, he is capable of even the usage of guns (a privilege the wealthy maintained only for themselves...though under the radar and not known to any in the public).  Anyway, it's his wanderings to find the murderer, and it leads to a lot of other stuff, as such stories often do.

My one problem though is I keep coming up with ideas and I have a hard time finishing off work (it's a psychological thing from my childhood, I know how to deal with it, doesn't make easy, but easier to handle than when not knowing, lol).

I have the same problem! What do you do?

My one problem though is I keep coming up with ideas and I have a hard time finishing off work (it's a psychological thing from my childhood, I know how to deal with it, doesn't make easy, but easier to handle than when not knowing, lol).

Well I find my zen.  Then I'm refocused and ready to rock.  I read this article trying to find various methods to help, and came across this one most unhelpful troll who believes that if you cannot finish a project, maybe you aren't meant to.  The problem is, I've had the Ethereal Chronicles in my head since I was 12, and no matter how much time has passed, I recall EVERYTHING, even all my changes.  Well, a few thoughts here and there that I considered as a maybe add-on I've forgotten, but any idea I was sure should be part of the story has remained intact for the past 21 years straight.  Just like every person who knew in their bones they wanted to write, but for whatever reason couldn't get the work done until one day it just clicked and happened.

I don't want to wait for that one day.  So I tried different things.  Exercise, then music works pretty well.  If I'm exhausted, I just skip it entirely and try to relax doing other things (my usual game time!, well, for consoles at least, handheld I do whenever I have a free moment that I cannot devote to serious thought, like a waiting room).

Depends on my mood and what I'm trying to accomplish.  Anything from Classical to Symphonic Movie Themes to various forms of Electronica (especially Trance and Psychadelic/Goa Trance) to even really great video music tracks.  Helps me focus.  It changes constantly as to what works best, but if the music won't do it alone, I just stretch a bit, do a little run or maybe lift weights or some aerobics for about 15-30 minutes, drink some water, then get back to it.

I don't think there is any one "method" that works for everyone, but try things out yourself.  I have a friend who needs to watch wrestling to build up his angst and blood pressure before he can think straight.  I know others that need to force a deadline and make themselves believe such a deadline is do or die.  I know some who must sit in a coffee house, any coffee house or sometimes one in particular and it has to be his special little corner.

Some people like to zone out completely, do some sitting meditation before working on a project, get to the point of nothing, and then it all comes flushing in and they can do more work.

Heck, try different things for a week, see what happens.  Make it simple and routine (whatever it is, ROUTINE is the always the one key), and who knows maybe you'll force yourself to find something that just brings you to that moment where you look at the screen with a boyish smirk, strong desire, and just plow through your project knowing how bloody good you think it is (important too I believe, since you can't convince someone else of how awesome your &#036;#&#33;&amp; smells if you can't convince yourself, just can't expect everyone to agree).

It's been like 10+ years since I last played, lol.  I don't remember much, so I can't say higher tier has better stat growth, but given my memory of DQMJ is pretty decent, and there higher tiers do have better growth rates, and given DQ tends to follow along similar patterns that rarely deviate from game to game or if they do, it's only slowly, I would say yes.

That said, so long as your HP can hit the 500+ range, you should be good without the need for Upper.  Does DQM cap Upper at +200 defense?  If so, then it's not that effective (only -25 hard defense prior to skill modifiers kicking in for your enemies).  So long as you have ample MP (200+), good HP (500+), high Str (200+), and healall, you should be ok.

If you have any basic video editing software, you can just speed through or cut out the grinding sessions.  Not that I can recommend anything, my last windows computer was a Vista laptop, and prior to that several XP desktops and laptops.  I'm way out of the loop.

Anyway I say why not.  If you don't want to or can't edit those sections of video, then you can always entertain.

Well I find my zen.  Then I'm refocused and ready to rock.  I read this article trying to find various methods to help, and came across this one most unhelpful troll who believes that if you cannot finish a project, maybe you aren't meant to.  The problem is, I've had the Ethereal Chronicles in my head since I was 12, and no matter how much time has passed, I recall EVERYTHING, even all my changes.  Well, a few thoughts here and there that I considered as a maybe add-on I've forgotten, but any idea I was sure should be part of the story has remained intact for the past 21 years straight.  Just like every person who knew in their bones they wanted to write, but for whatever reason couldn't get the work done until one day it just clicked and happened.

I don't want to wait for that one day.  So I tried different things.  Exercise, then music works pretty well.  If I'm exhausted, I just skip it entirely and try to relax doing other things (my usual game time!, well, for consoles at least, handheld I do whenever I have a free moment that I cannot devote to serious thought, like a waiting room).

Depends on my mood and what I'm trying to accomplish.  Anything from Classical to Symphonic Movie Themes to various forms of Electronica (especially Trance and Psychadelic/Goa Trance) to even really great video music tracks.  Helps me focus.  It changes constantly as to what works best, but if the music won't do it alone, I just stretch a bit, do a little run or maybe lift weights or some aerobics for about 15-30 minutes, drink some water, then get back to it.

I don't think there is any one "method" that works for everyone, but try things out yourself.  I have a friend who needs to watch wrestling to build up his angst and blood pressure before he can think straight.  I know others that need to force a deadline and make themselves believe such a deadline is do or die.  I know some who must sit in a coffee house, any coffee house or sometimes one in particular and it has to be his special little corner.

Some people like to zone out completely, do some sitting meditation before working on a project, get to the point of nothing, and then it all comes flushing in and they can do more work.

Heck, try different things for a week, see what happens.  Make it simple and routine (whatever it is, ROUTINE is the always the one key), and who knows maybe you'll force yourself to find something that just brings you to that moment where you look at the screen with a boyish smirk, strong desire, and just plow through your project knowing how bloody good you think it is (important too I believe, since you can't convince someone else of how awesome your $#!& smells if you can't convince yourself, just can't expect everyone to agree).

Thank you so much, Ignasia! I don't know what method I'll try first, but this was a very inspiring post either way! It makes me want to start building my new DQVII-2 engine right this second! (But I have a lot of homework that I'm actually behind on... I'll just use the engine as a goal to finish my homework as quickly as possible. Hopefully that will help.)

Do it buddy, get that homework done and spend a little time working on DQVII-2!  Of course if sleep hits, get to bed, but if you're dreaming about your project, you're on the right track!

I'm changing a few things around, I have this typed out in edits in the DQ9 thread above.  So since my start time is pretty solid, I'm just going to do this.  First enter an area, grab all chests, record them all, note their locations, get to the next spot I can check my time with Stella (for the first I'll have to wait until a bit after the Hexagon), then record that time, start over from the save point, and do a speed run, aiming for seeds and seemingly worthwhile equipment, with minimal divergence.  If I like the time, I'll keep it, if I don't, I won't and I'll reset and record both to note which has the better time, if an earlier attempt does, I'll redo it the same way to aim for that time, THEN save.

This should be fun!  I just don't feel up to finishing the dungeon and finishing the post tonight, so I'll try to force time in tomorrow to do that.  However I have to help a friend write an essay.  I initially wrote his introductory paragraph, then wrote a base outline.  He actually used the base outline as a kind of header for each paragraph.  It's a mess of an essay, but I suppose the positive (see:negative) is that his college english class is a joke that is designed to dumb down the whole process of writing essays (heck, this essay actually combines research and personal essays, and apparently that's a new standard approach in MLA, which means MLA just surpassed APA as the asshat standard for modern English, congratulations MLA, it was probably a very difficult feat to achieve, but you've managed it gracelessly, bowing out and cowtowing to the current drive to streamline learning so college students today have the grade equivalent education of 3rd graders in 1901, I give you an official 'dolphin clap').

Hijacking threads is an inalienable right here at the Den. Some of the best discussions come off topic or by someone taking a slight turn from the original topic creator's discussion!

I always welcome a good hijack, doesn't stop me from continuing my thread as I wish to.  So by all means mate.  I'll offer some thoughts later, I need to eat breakfast.

Edited by ignasia7