Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

DQ8 mobile title trademarked?

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/07/journey-cursed-king-trademark-means-square-enix-hasnt-completely-forgotten-dragon-quest/

I GOT NEWS FOR ONCE. HA.

Even if it's the same price as JP, i'd pay $20ish for DQ8 mobile. O_o

Edited by Ryu
  • Upvote 1

I like how even the title references SE's lack of regard toward DQ.

At least we won't argue about whether or not this is a trademark for a DQ game like we have with previous titles.

Now we can just argue whether or not we'll ever get it. Or were they just renewing just in case. My guess... no.

Meh.. I want VII..

Agreed. I love 8 and will always love 8 on my PS2 + TV. But if we're to get anything, let it be VII or X.

Now we can just argue whether or not we'll ever get it. Or were they just renewing just in case. My guess... no.

Well it's certainly not a renewal, since it's a brand new trademark.  That said, I think they're going to bring us DQVIII first on mobile, see how that works out, then slowly work into other Dragon Quest releases.  I'm going to say YES.

I mean, it's not like we're talking about Ancient Aliens or anything, and you're saying no, and I'm saying yes.  DQVIII mobile's US release possibility isn't that obscure...

Meh.. I want VII..

Agreed. I love 8 and will always love 8 on my PS2 + TV. But if we're to get anything, let it be VII or X.

We can think of this in these terms: SE is unsure of success in the US for Dragon Quest, and they've clearly never understood the US and EU markets right? 

They are a company that seems to demand a game/series sell 500k or higher (or whatever arbitrarily high sales number they assume meets their standards), since afterall, they're Square and Enix combined, and nothing less will do! 

So, they want DQVII to see a release here, and I would bet DQX, since being an MMO, if they can get a substantive consistent user base regardless of upticks in hardcopy sales and turn-around, that would be another long-term profit driver to add to FF11, 14, and the upcoming Star Ocean MMO (few sci-fi MMO's reach any serious success, so this has promise due to limited competition).

Thus perhaps the gameplan is to release DQ on mobile, and hopefully entice new customers, by using the one tool in their arsenal with arguably the most well known title, and the most enticing and appealing eye candy of the series?

I really have no doubts we'll eventually get VII, and I don't think there's even a concept of a "window" for DQX's release as some have said, given the time window between many releases in Korea and Japan of an MMO, and the US/EU releases.

Maybe I'm reaching, but as much as I want just 7 and 10, what I most want to see is some measure of success for the series as a whole that has SE feeling more comfortable with releasing Dragon Quest in the US, and give them an idea of need, drive, and level of marketing required to properly sell without worrying about profits.  Since at least in that light, perhaps we'll be able to talk about Dragon Quest with the word "assured" and the word group "released outside Japan" in the same sentence.

What do you think?

Meh.. I want VII..

We can think of this in these terms: SE is unsure of success in the US for Dragon Quest, and they've clearly never understood the US and EU markets right? 

They are a company that seems to demand a game/series sell 500k or higher (or whatever arbitrarily high sales number they assume meets their standards), since afterall, they're Square and Enix combined, and nothing less will do! 

So, they want DQVII to see a release here, and I would bet DQX, since being an MMO, if they can get a substantive consistent user base regardless of upticks in hardcopy sales and turn-around, that would be another long-term profit driver to add to FF11, 14, and the upcoming Star Ocean MMO (few sci-fi MMO's reach any serious success, so this has promise due to limited competition).

Thus perhaps the gameplan is to release DQ on mobile, and hopefully entice new customers, by using the one tool in their arsenal with arguably the most well known title, and the most enticing and appealing eye candy of the series?

I really have no doubts we'll eventually get VII, and I don't think there's even a concept of a "window" for DQX's release as some have said, given the time window between many releases in Korea and Japan of an MMO, and the US/EU releases.

Maybe I'm reaching, but as much as I want just 7 and 10, what I most want to see is some measure of success for the series as a whole that has SE feeling more comfortable with releasing Dragon Quest in the US, and give them an idea of need, drive, and level of marketing required to properly sell without worrying about profits.  Since at least in that light, perhaps we'll be able to talk about Dragon Quest with the word "assured" and the word group "released outside Japan" in the same sentence.

What do you think?

Let me add that the sentence better not include the word "not".

It has indeed.

;) I don't know if they're going to release it here in the states since they never released any of the other Cellphone/Mobile App games here in America. Seems like Nintendo has had some luck though when it comes to Dragon Quest releases in the last decade, Dragon Quest IV-VI on the DS was brought over here as was Dragon Quest IX (DQ VI and IX were pretty well advertised as well if I remember right) Rocket Slime and Dragon Quest Monsters Joker I and II were also brought over here as was both the Dragon Quest Swords games on the Wii.

Though the majority of that last paragraph has nothing to do with Mobile ports of DQ games coming here my sentiments is I'm not holding my breath about any Mobile DQ game coming here unless it's on the 3DS or something. Unless it's something like that god awful Candy Crush crap, there isn't much of a demand for Mobile App games here in the states.

Though the majority of that last paragraph has nothing to do with Mobile ports of DQ games coming here...

Yeah, I was reading your post wondering if you were going to mention the sky is blue and grass is green and other obvious stuff too. Odd post.

there isn't much of a demand for Mobile App games here in the states.

And... That's just not true. No, not at all. False. And I call a whole lot of BS on that. Hell, there's so much a demand for mobile gaming, it's totally changing the way people buy games. There was not nearly as huge a demand for the new Xbox and PS4 and Wii-U because of all the mobile gaming. Just because you don't mobile game and there's no demand for a mobile DQ game here, don't add 2 + 2 and get 5.

Um... Square Enix has release FF1, FF2, FF3, FF4, a custom port of FF4AY, FF5, FF6, and an android/iOS-only title called Final Fantasy Dimensions on mobile. There is also FFT on iOS, All the Bravest on iOS/Android, and possibly one or two more I have yet to hear of.

We have yet to hear about the -main series- DQ titles in the US is because they were just released in JP. I see us getting the main series in the long run.

;) Yeah but for every one person who buys/downloads those games another ten buy and download the Bejeweled Rip off er, Candy Crap d'oh Candy CRUSH. You see the point I'm trying to make here in my sleep deprived brain? Besides, playing games on Cellphones/Snarky Smarm Phones is stupid to me anyway so OF COURSE I'm gonna say stuff that badmouths it :P

By the way, the character sprites of Final Fantasy 4-6 look moronic from what I say, The rest of graphics however, it's about as good as a proper handheld console port.

Edited by Slime Master

I see us getting the main series in the long run.

Can't envision that happening.

;) Yeah but for every one person who buys/downloads those games another ten buy and download the Bejeweled Rip off er, Candy Crap d'oh Candy CRUSH. You see the point I'm trying to make here in my sleep deprived brain? Besides, playing games on Cellphones/Snarky Smarm Phones is stupid to me anyway so OF COURSE I'm gonna say stuff that badmouths it :P

By the way, the character sprites of Final Fantasy 4-6 look moronic from what I say, The rest of graphics however, it's about as good as a proper handheld console port.

I'm not a huge fan of it, but if you find the right games, they're fine. Bought a Pokemon type game last week that I'll actually play all the way to end. DQM Super Light and the game it was based off of, Puzzles and Dragons have been great fun!

;) Yeah, playing actual Bejeweled and not some ripoff that completely robs you blind is not a bad thing certain. The point I was trying to get across is that the mobile device platform is more geared towards the casual game market aka the Candy Crush Crowd, which is why we will probably not see any mobile phone Dragon Quest games in this part of the Globe.

I'm not a huge fan of it, but if you find the right games, they're fine. Bought a Pokemon type game last week that I'll actually play all the way to end. DQM Super Light and the game it was based off of, Puzzles and Dragons have been great fun!

Pokemon? Where.

He said Pokémon "type" game. There are a lot of those going around on the mobile marketplace.

Yeah, but what specific game? I'm in the mood for a Pokemans clone, and if Platty is playing it, it's bound to be good.

Yeah, but what specific game? I'm in the mood for a Pokemans clone, and if Platty is playing it, it's bound to be good.

Try Dragon Quest Monsters. I hear it's good.

I totally couldn't find this topic for the past day. I knew it was the one I called Slime Master out on, but forgot which.

Ok, the game is called Dragon Island. I've put over 150 game days into it (over the past 2 weeks). Collected tons of monsters and evolved a few along the way. It seems as though there are 8 towns and quests in each. I'm on my 4th town now and got totally wiped trying to sneak ahead. I absolutely love the battle system (kinda Grandiaesque) and how you attack by swiping over monsters in certain directions. You can do micro transactions if you want for more gold, but I've been fine just with the silver I've made trying to be a completist along the way in dungeons. I think it was a dollar or two, cheap. I'm really really enjoying it. It's stopped me from playing DQM Super Light and Puzzles and Dragons. There's no time limit or stamina so you can sit and play for hours!

;) Off Topic: I feel the need to ask why I've been getting called out so much in the last few days SURELY it can't be because of my post count :P odds are in this case it's my trash talking of mobile gaming :P :P

odds are in this case it's my trash talking of mobile gaming :P :P

In this case, the odds are in your favor.