Sign in to follow this  
Dwaine

Hargon: The Hands of Fate

For those who don't follow my Bookface or Livestreams, I've been working on this dumb doodle and will start painting it on Thursday.

The handprints will be there when I paint it!

d1yMJOF.jpg

• Upvote 5

Looks great, can't wait to see it painted too, I wish I could draw like that :)

• Upvote 1

Looks awesome! Hargon is one of my favorite villains from the series, even though he doesn't play much of a role. The question is, are you going to make his skin purple or blue?

• Upvote 1

Awesome. Nice work. I like the detail on his staff. Very creepy looking.

• Upvote 1

Looks awesome! Hargon is one of my favorite villains from the series, even though he doesn't play much of a role. The question is, are you going to make his skin purple or blue?

Thanks, guys! Just in case nobody gets the reference...

11437303.jpg

Hargon's skin color is blue in most incarnations, so that's what I'll stick with. Hargon would really benefit from an expanded story. He's a cult leader and all the magicians, clowns, and such are his followers. Sometimes I wonder if his fins are part of him or some sort of Shido headress.

• Upvote 1

I like it! It's like Disney x Dragon Quest.

Edited by eal

Stream's from 4:50 - 5 PM CST. Drop by and say hi. You can watch it later, if you'd like.

;) I immediately caught the reference as soon as I saw the topic name. Nice one Dwaine and awesome drawing. :laugh:

I always figured the headfins were a sort of headdress.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1/josegallardo1/hargonv.gif

I never gave it much thought, but Hargon is downright svelte underneath that robe. I always pictured him much heavier, but for no other reason than the robe fanning out.

Btw, saw it on your Facebook, Dwaine. Nice job, post the finished product soon :-) One day I WILL be free to watch one of your livestreams.

Edited by Plattym3

;) Maybe that explains his whole motivation for summoning Malroth to the world. To many people made fun of his skinny, rather diminutive size and the whole thing was his ploy for revenge against the world. Hey, it was also a motivation of a Villian from the original Dragon Ball anime/manga

True. A big, bloated Baramos seems much more intimidating.

True. A big, bloated Baramos seems much more intimidating.

Baramos2.gif

The robe is deceptively slimming.  Trust me, his is Jabba the Hutt under there.

• Upvote 1

That is a pretty awesome drawing. It kinda makes me feel like I should start sketching on my free time. Out of the many things I tried doing, pencil & paper drawing is something I've steered away from, mostly because I am afraid of the end results. I noticed I feel a bit more comfortable if I use something like a digital drawing pad, probably because it makes things easier to undo and lessens the pressure of getting things done right the first time.

The robe is deceptively slimming.  Trust me, his is Jabba the Hutt under there.

;) Either that or ol' Baramos has been hitting the gym since the events of Dragon Warrior III :laugh:

The robe is deceptively slimming. Trust me, his is Jabba the Hutt under there.

;) Either that or ol' Baramos has been hitting the gym since the events of Dragon Warrior III :laugh:

Rumor is he got gastric bypass.

You can get all the exclusive photos of it on TMZ.

Baramos' original design is pretty interesting, and is something that isn't really expanded on in the original text. (As far as I know.) He's looks fairly old. The game says that Baramos has been around for a long time, but exactly how long is unknown. It's also kinda glossed over that you fight his rotting corpse - Gross Baramos and then his bones with Zombie Baramos. (Seems the latter finally got its own artwork in Terry's Wonderland.) The original US version made it seem like Baramos Bomus and Baramos Gonus were two different monsters.

Out of the many things I tried doing, pencil & paper drawing is something I've steered away from, mostly because I am afraid of the end results. I noticed I feel a bit more comfortable if I use something like a digital drawing pad, probably because it makes things easier to undo and lessens the pressure of getting things done right the first time.

The best thing about using a computer is that you can change everything. The worst thing about using a computer is that you can change everything. No matter where you create, it's all the same skill. Brush up without the undos and layers. It will only strenghten you skills. Everyone has issues with getting it right on the first time. There are so many drawings that I almost ditched, but I stuck with them and some of them became portfolio pieces.

• Upvote 1

It's also kinda glossed over that you fight his rotting corpse - Gross Baramos and then his bones with Zombie Baramos. (Seems the latter finally got its own artwork in Terry's Wonderland.) The original US version made it seem like Baramos Bomus and Baramos Gonus were two different monsters.

;) Interesting, that would explain the one pallette swapped Baramos Boss fought before fighting Zoma himself. Though what about BaraEvil, Evil Baramos or Baramos Cygnus that appears in the bonus dungeon before fighting Divinegon?

The best thing about using a computer is that you can change everything. The worst thing about using a computer is that you can change everything.

For true  :)

I notice that I've practiced how to not plan projects, because I almost always end up with a different result because of how convenient things like Photoshop are. While I am often happy with the results, I'm still a little disappointed in that it's not something I actually envisioned at the beginning. People would be like "awesome" or "cool" , but I usually feel like something is missing (what I had planned). In the end, I do feel like the computer did it, not me.

I will start planning ahead and stick to the "vision", regardless if the results are far from "good" just to practice the whole planning concept.

Time to suck again!

The bonus Baramoses seem to be just swaps for fun, though one seems to be a nod to the artwork in the US manual. III's bonus dungeon is just an extra rather than part of the overall story like VIII.

For true  :)

I notice that I've practiced how to not plan projects, because I almost always end up with a different result because of how convenient things like Photoshop are. While I am often happy with the results, I'm still a little disappointed in that it's not something I actually envisioned at the beginning. People would be like "awesome" or "cool" , but I usually feel like something is missing (what I had planned). In the end, I do feel like the computer did it, not me.

I will start planning ahead and stick to the "vision", regardless if the results are far from "good" just to practice the whole planning concept.

Time to suck again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgzssDOTMXs

Creating is a funny thing. Sometimes you can nail it on a first try. Others you have work and work at it. On my Facebook page I've got an album on how the new Shrine design developed. It's always good to go back and see how the idea developed. It can help you get back on track if you've lost your way. It can show you how your skills have improved. It can give you new ideas and remember ones you've forgotten.

There's some merit to feeling that the "computer created it" rather than you. It's one of the reasons why I don't care for templates or script generated designs, because they're often very basic and unappealing. Although, I feel it doesn't apply as long as you've begun to go beyond your basic functions and using the program as a tool, like a pencil or paintbrush.