Sign in to follow this  
PantheonSasuke

Speedrun of the NES Dragon Warrior

It used to be that I frequently visited speeddemosarchive.com, was practically a daily routine of mine. I seem to have fallen out of that habit, but I sure am glad I looked through the most recent update because it has an entry for the first game of the series. Dragon Quest, that is :P

Or Dragon Warrior, as it was then to those in the states. I haven't watched it yet because it's, like, over four hours long, and I haven't read the runner comments yet neither but since this is SDA I'm gonna assume that the run was made without tool-assistance. It does seem to have been done in ten segments, though, which is understandable given RNG shenanigans.

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I haven't noticed any new topics here calling mention, and it's been up for a week it seems, so hey.

Wow, that is impressive.  I loved his analysis and description of the process.  This is certainly different from a TAS, but both require an insane amount of patience and endurance.

Thanks for sharing this!

Mario wishes he could save a princess in four hours.

• Upvote 1

I wonder why he took "J" as opposed to "!" for a name (as done in the TAS). I may be mistaken, but "!" falls into the 12th bracket of stats attribution, which is the best bracket you can be into.

EDIT: Just read his rationale about it, and it makes sense for that type of run.

Edited by Miles Edgeworth

;) I never understood the point in speed running games myself personally, I guess people do it because they played the game so much and would like a new challenge or something.

I don't know the why, but I know it's taken very seriously. Speedrunners play games so often and beat them so frequently that they're familiar with every little detail and glitch in the game, exploiting them to get to the end faster. It's not just about running as fast to the end as possible. It's being able to understand a game so well that finishing it is reflexive. Some of the best live off of the money they earn doing speedruns.

;) I never understood the point in speed running games myself personally, I guess people do it because they played the game so much and would like a new challenge or something.

What's the point of playing video games at all? It's to have fun, ultimately. Speed running is intense, but it's enjoyable, and some do it for a living. It can do great things - just look at AGDQ and SGDQ, and they're incredibly fun to watch. It's just another way to play games, and another of the myriad niche gaming communities.

;) I prefer to play for fun myself, and people actually make money off speed running eh? Good for them I say.

Edited by Slime Master

I didn't mean to say speed running wasn't a fun means of playing games; exactly the opposite. To say you play for fun implies nothing to how you are playing. And this year's AGDQ raised over one million dollars for cancer research. Clearly there can be a monetary aspect to this. Cosmo makes part of his living off his OoT/WW runs, and these gatherings raise lots of money for good causes.

;) That's awesome :D and I didn't mean to seem like I think Speed running is a waste of time or stupid or anything, I never saw the point of trying it myself, I suppose with some games theoretically I COULD do it but I chose not too.

Videos like these are such an inspiration.  I can't stop myself from replaying the games right after watching them.

Awesome video.

I tend to like the TAS ones. Sure, without save states and emulators, they are nearly impossible to do through normal means, but seeing Dragonlord put to sleep and defeated with hurt was pretty entertaining to see. :D