Sign in to follow this  
Semolous

Musicians and spriters needed!

;) Is this an RPG Maker VX/Ace thing? I don't get the whole stretchy backgrounds with my game, though as I said numerous times, I'm using older software so...

I had to stretch the bg's to fit Ace

Edited by Semolous

To me, this looks a bit stretched

H2b1cwP.png

Edited by Semolous

doc20140331145355_001.jpg

Sorry for this taking so long, Semolous. I only have about an hour a day to work on this.

Here are sketches of the over world sprites for the heroes and priest characters. For the heroes, I left their heads blank since I didn’t know what kind of hairstyles, or headgear you want them to have. I also need to know if there is anything you want in their hands, or if there are any designs or symbols you want on their costumes.(Like a crest on the hero’s chest plate.) If you can let me know that, any changes you want done to them, and any color themes you want them to have I can start to make the actual sprites.

With the hero I figured he would set out in a suit of armor since with his experience as a battler he would leave as prepared as possible.

With the ranger/archer since you said she was the daughter of the mayor and a skilled archer, she would dress in fashionable yet functional clothes.

With the thief I went with a classic thief design with wraps to cover any of his exposed skin.

I designed the clothing on the mage to have a sky/cloud theme. I also gave her a tattered looking cowl that would flow in the wind. I figured she’d wear something warm enough for cold high altitudes, yet nothing that would catch the wind like a parachute.

The priest was designed around the priest sprite you showed me. I figured he would have his head covered, and would wear a traditional looking priest/monk robe.  The hood design isn't final, I just threw it on so his head was covered. I left the front of his clothes blank incase if there was some evil symbol, or something you want to add. I also designed his face to have a calm/smug/threatening and confident look.

Let me know if you have any comments, questions, concerns, or changes.

doc20140331145355_001.jpg

Sorry for this taking so long, Semolous. I only have about an hour a day to work on this.

Here are sketches of the over world sprites for the heroes and priest characters. For the heroes, I left their heads blank since I didn’t know what kind of hairstyles, or headgear you want them to have. I also need to know if there is anything you want in their hands, or if there are any designs or symbols you want on their costumes.(Like a crest on the hero’s chest plate.) If you can let me know that, any changes you want done to them, and any color themes you want them to have I can start to make the actual sprites.

With the hero I figured he would set out in a suit of armor since with his experience as a battler he would leave as prepared as possible.

With the ranger/archer since you said she was the daughter of the mayor and a skilled archer, she would dress in fashionable yet functional clothes.

With the thief I went with a classic thief design with wraps to cover any of his exposed skin.

I designed the clothing on the mage to have a sky/cloud theme. I also gave her a tattered looking cowl that would flow in the wind. I figured she’d wear something warm enough for cold high altitudes, yet nothing that would catch the wind like a parachute.

The priest was designed around the priest sprite you showed me. I figured he would have his head covered, and would wear a traditional looking priest/monk robe.  The hood design isn't final, I just threw it on so his head was covered. I left the front of his clothes blank incase if there was some evil symbol, or something you want to add. I also designed his face to have a calm/smug/threatening and confident look.

Let me know if you have any comments, questions, concerns, or changes.

The charas don't hold any equipment on them (at least you don't see it, anyway) and as for designs on the clothes, the hero does have a crest. It's looks like a shield with 2 swords behind it in an x fashion. Kinda like this.

http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20101022/Sword-Shield-1683836.jpg

As for the priest, he has a similar looking crest to the one shown here

http://www.allcraftsonline.com/images/39269.jpg

The priest doesn't have a hood either

H2b1cwP.png

If you need a background re-sized a certain way, I can go ahead and give it a try. The image here seems to be either a small image made bigger (which is something you normally wouldn't want to do), or the image re-rendering software isn't very compatible with certain image formats.

Link me to the background images you want to use (preferably bigger than output size) and give me the exact dimensions you need, as well as the preferred image format (JPEG, PNG, etc). I may have to crop the images a bit in the final render, but it's better than a pixelated and unproportionate image.

H2b1cwP.png

If you need a background re-sized a certain way, I can go ahead and give it a try. The image here seems to be either a small image made bigger (which is something you normally wouldn't want to do), or the image re-rendering software isn't very compatible with certain image formats.

Link me to the background images you want to use (preferably bigger than output size) and give me the exact dimensions you need, as well as the preferred image format (JPEG, PNG, etc). I may have to crop the images a bit in the final render, but it's better than a pixelated and unproportionate image.

Ok I'll link them all here

1. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/rm2k/backdrop/dw7ocean_faolan_indogutsu.png

2. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/rm2k/backdrop/dw7tower2_faolan_indogutsu.png

3. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/rm2k/backdrop/dw7cave1_faolan_indogutsu.png

4. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/rm2k/backdrop/dw7field_faolan_indogutsu.png

5. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/rm2k/backdrop/dw7desert_faolan_indogutsu.png

6. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/rm2k/backdrop/dq6ds_bright_poison_swamp.png

7. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/rm2k/backdrop/dq6ds_far_off_snow_country.png

8. http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/rm2k/backdrop/dw7mountain_faolan_indogutsu.png

Just remember, they have to be 580 x 444 in size

PNG would be preferable

Edited by Semolous

Those backgrounds are 320x160, alot smaller than the needed output, not to mention they are 16:9 and you need 4:3, so there's only so much I could do with them. Here is a picture for comparison:

Original Pixelated version:

H2b1cwP.png

Re-rendered version:

Background4x3_zps78e1ee24.png

I don't know if the program you are using allows 16:9 widescreen format. But if not, here is my version of forcing a widescreen battle format, which lessens the stretching and distortion. Its still a 4:3 image:

Background16x9_zps5d33104e.png

If any of these are ok, I can do the rest of the backgrounds the same. Another way to get higher-res images of the backgrounds would be to emulate the game on PC and just screenshot the stand-alone backgrounds, but getting to the areas for each particular background might be a chore. I think I have another idea how though, so I'll go try that later.

The charas don't hold any equipment on them (at least you don't see it, anyway) and as for designs on the clothes, the hero does have a crest. It's looks like a shield with 2 swords behind it in an x fashion. Kinda like this.

Ok. Just let me know what you want done with the character's heads, and what color schemes you want them to have, and I'll get started on the sprites.

:) I see what you're talking about now, in your first post showing off the backgrounds. Yeah they do look a wee bit stretched don't they?

Ok. Just let me know what you want done with the character's heads, and what color schemes you want them to have, and I'll get started on the sprites.

Well I want the hero to have a helmet on his head, and all the charas are white

Ok, and what color theme do you want their clothes? Like blue for the hero, green for the archer, etc. Doing this helps me see what colors would match with the character's accessories.

Ok, and what color theme do you want their clothes? Like blue for the hero, green for the archer, etc. Doing this helps me see what colors would match with the character's accessories.

I'm actually not sure. I'll leave that to you

Partially derailing this topic to ask the semantic question: would it not be better to call spriters by the term spriticians?

Partially derailing this topic to ask the semantic question: would it not be better to call spriters by the term spriticians?

Not sure lol

Ok, here is what I managed to do with the backgrounds. I was planning on printing and re-scanning each so I could get a higher dpi and scale them down from there, but I forgot I ran out of ink  :) . These should work out a lot better than if you used the original images anyway: 

Field

dq7_field_Flute_Warrior_zps826a7378.png

Cave

dq7_cave1_Flute_Warrior_zps4811be0d.png

Mountain

dq7_mountain_Flute_Warrior_zpse64403c2.p

Desert

dq7_desert_Flute_Warrior_zps9e22b19e.png

Ocean

dq7_ocean_Flute_Warrior_zpsbc91cb30.png

Tower

dq7_tower2_Flute_Warrior_zpscb288a02.png

Snow Country

dq7_ar_off_snow_country_Flute_Warrior_zp

Poison Swamp

dq7_bright_poison_swamp_Flute_Warrior_zp

I've got a better solution - use the backgrounds I ripped! They were ripped at VX/Ace's native resolution using an emulator, so will be much less pixelated. I'm not at my computer right now but if you need me to, I can post some examples.

I've got a better solution - use the backgrounds I ripped! They were ripped at VX/Ace's native resolution using an emulator, so will be much less pixelated. I'm not at my computer right now but if you need me to, I can post some examples.

Yes, that would be the best solution! I mentioned earlier that screenshotting the game via an emulator to get a higher res would be a good option, but getting to those particular areas was the hard part. Now if you have them pretty much already in native format... definitely less time-consuming than applying filters and manual scaling  >.<

I'll take a look at them

;) Seconded, This would be the best solution to your problem.

Sorry I've been REALLY BUSY! I don't have school or work on Friday though so I'll dig them out and upload them then. (There's over a hundred different backgrounds I think, so It'll take time to upload. Make sure you have WinRAR or 7zip because I will compress them.)

Sorry I've been REALLY BUSY! I don't have school or work on Friday though so I'll dig them out and upload them then. (There's over a hundred different backgrounds I think, so It'll take time to upload. Make sure you have WinRAR or 7zip because I will compress them.)

I only use winrar, so it should be good!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B16I1pI-pI9DMFFsS2plaWNfWms/edit?usp=sharing

Here you go! Anyone may use these in their game(s) as long as I get a short line in the credits for ripping them. Normally I wouldn't care but this took me a day and a half straight with no sleep when I ripped them.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing those Erdrick The Hero! Don't worry about asking for credit where credit is deserved.

I like to get credit and feedback for my stuff as well, but that probably has more to do with me just being a showoff  :laugh: I mean, hey, I put effort into my stuff, right? And it usually goes for a good cause anyhow  :tounge2:

Thanks, Flute_Warrior. I'm glad you appreciate them.

Ironically, those only took about a minute to upload, I was worried it'd take a while. (I forgot they weren't 1920x1200/1920x1080!)