Sign in to follow this  
Semolous

Musicians and spriters needed!

Hey there, name's semolous. I'm new here, and as such am not sure on some rules. So if I'm not allowed to ask for stuff then a mod can simply delete this thread. I'm asking if there any musicians and sprite makers here in the Den that would be willing to make sprites and music for my fangame, Dragon Quest Ace.

• Upvote 1

Nope you are good, check out the RM2k section on the den you may find some usable items there

Nope you are good, check out the RM2k section on the den you may find some usable items there

I looked there, and all the songs are midi. VX Ace takes mp3 and ogg format only 

You could try using a file converter online. This should help converting those MIDIs into the files you need.

I know of a good one I used before. Here's the link:

http://www.online-convert.com/

Here is a big repository of MP3 music and sound effects from nearly all of the DQ games.  Right here at the Den!  Hope this is somewhat close to what you are after.

Here is a big repository of MP3 music and sound effects from nearly all of the DQ games.  Right here at the Den!  Hope this is somewhat close to what you are after.

While I would like custom music for my fangame, this will do just as well. All I need now is a spriter.

I haven't done much spriting in a while, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. When I get the chance, I'll throw a sample of something up here. You might want to consider getting a few spriters and sound guys together. Depending on the scale of your game, and whatever your personal preference is.

Speaking of, could you share some more information about your game? Like NES vs. SNES graphics, locations, characters. I understand if the ideas are still rough and running through your head, but any and all info helps.

I haven't done much spriting in a while, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. When I get the chance, I'll throw a sample of something up here. You might want to consider getting a few spriters and sound guys together. Depending on the scale of your game, and whatever your personal preference is.

Speaking of, could you share some more information about your game? Like NES vs. SNES graphics, locations, characters. I understand if the ideas are still rough and running through your head, but any and all info helps.

I'm using the standard VX Ace graphics for the maps themselves, and I'm using monsters I found on here for the battlers. As for the world itself, it's comprised of 2 worlds. Eraneth, which is the overworld and Canaleth, which is the underworld.

Edited by Semolous

So what would you want a spriter to make?

So what would you want a spriter to make?

Well for overworld sprites I need the following:

1. A male hero character

2. A female archer character

3. A female mage character

4. A male thief character

5. A male evil priest character

6. The demon you'll eventually fight as the final boss

And for battlers I need the following:

1. A male evil priest battler. Form is similar to the priest battler found in the Ace RTP

2. A second demon-like form for the evil priest. Form is similar to the evilking batler found in the Ace RTP

3. The final boss in his first form. Form is similar to the demon battler found in the Ace RTP

4. The final boss in his last form. Form is similar to the evilgod battler found in the Ace RTP

How do you want the overworld characters to look, and do you have pictures of the battle sprites from Ace RTP?

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to know exactly what you're looking for.

How do you want the overworld characters to look, and do you have pictures of the battle sprites from Ace RTP?

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to know exactly what you're looking for.

I want to keep the VX Ace style for the overworld sprites, and I want the battlers to be DQ styled if you get what I mean.

Here are the pictures

(img)http://i.imgur.com/ntbQErF.png(/img)

(img)http://i.imgur.com/7I16RdN.png(/img)

Edited by Semolous

Ok. The way I make sprites is I draw them first, then import into paint and make the sprite itself. I'll send you a picture of the drawing for you to ok before I make the sprite. Sound good?

And do you know the actual image size you need them to be?

Ok. The way I make sprites is I draw them first, then import into paint and make the sprite itself. I'll send you a picture of the drawing for you to ok before I make the sprite. Sound good?

And do you know the actual image size you need them to be?

Well a vx ace charset completely filled is 384 x 256, so I think that'd be good. By filled I mean it has 8 charsets on it

;) It's a shame Indogutsu doesn't have an account here anymore, he's pretty good at spriting but he's not a big fan of RPG Maker 2003 and beyond. A LOT of the RPG Maker resources on the Den came from him and fellow member Faolan.

Ok. The last thing that would help is if you have any back story on the characters. What are their homelands like? Any personality or physical quirks you know of? Are all the characters 16, or do any older or younger characters join? This goes for the villains too. Anything and everything is helpful.

Also, nice work on the demo video! Were the monster battle sprites from one of the DS remakes?

Do you know where those resources are located, Slime Master? I've never done anything with RPG Maker or any similar program before, so I'd be helpful to see how something is supposed to look.

Ok. The last thing that would help is if you have any back story on the characters. What are their homelands like? Any personality or physical quirks you know of? Are all the characters 16, or do any older or younger characters join? This goes for the villains too. Anything and everything is helpful.

Also, nice work on the demo video! Were the monster battle sprites from one of the DS remakes?

Do you know where those resources are located, Slime Master? I've never done anything with RPG Maker or any similar program before, so I'd be helpful to see how something is supposed to look.

Well the hero comes from a far off village somewhere else in the world. As a baby, he was brought to Dublen village for his protection. He's a skilled fighter. Personality wise he's very quiet and rarely speaks.

Lucia is the daughter of the Mayor of Dublen village. She was born at the same time the hero was brought to the village. She's a very skilled archer. Personality wise she can get angry easily.

Zuras is a thief from the town of Sidton who joins up with the party in order to atone for his sins. Personality wise he's the level headed one of the group.

Lexis is a mage from the sky fortress of Evoria. She joins the party upon the king dragon's request. Personality wise she's somewhat level headed, but can be rather brash at times.

There are 2 villain. The evil priest seen in the demo and Vath, lord of Canaleth.

The priest is 40 years old. Personality wise he's calm, but also threatening.

Vath is thousands of years old. No-one knows his true age. Personality wise he's somewhat honourable.

Hero is 18, Lucia is 20, Zuras is 29 and Lexis is 19.

I found the monster sprites right here in the Den. They are from the DS remakes.

Edited by Semolous

;) @Hardfunk: There's a lot of Indogutsu and Faolan's work in the RM2K Resources section on the Den. http://www.woodus.com/den/resources/rm2k.php Of course these were made with RPG Maker 2000 in mind. Yes I know that's a really old version but honestly, I prefer it to some of the newer ones (At least to 2003 and VX anyway, I DO like XP and I know little about ACE)

you know you can convert Rm2k/2k3/XP resources to Ace, right? and VX uses the same formats as Ace, so no conversion is necessary.

you know you can convert Rm2k/2k3/XP resources to Ace, right? and VX uses the same formats as Ace, so no conversion is necessary.

The battle bg's here on the Den aren't the right size for Ace, and have to be converted

;) Not sure about VX or ACE but I know Battle Backgrounds have to be 320x160 in measurement.

;) Not sure about VX or ACE but I know Battle Backgrounds have to be 320x160 in measurement.

On VX Ace they have to be 580 x 444

;) Ahhhhhhhhhhhh a much bigger requirement than before. The Backgrounds from Dragon Warrior VII might work well enough, they seem to be bigger than the Standard RPG Maker 2000 size anyway.

;) Ahhhhhhhhhhhh a much bigger requirement than before. The Backgrounds from Dragon Warrior VII might work well enough, they seem to be bigger than the Standard RPG Maker 2000 size anyway.

Yeah they do work, only problem is they look stretched.

;) Is this an RPG Maker VX/Ace thing? I don't get the whole stretchy backgrounds with my game, though as I said numerous times, I'm using older software so...