Sign in to follow this  
marthsk

Really, game? Really?!? [Cursed jingle woes]

A few of you might have had that happen to their Dragon Warrior NES cartridges:

I thought Squeenix would've kicked the habit in Dragon Quest 9...

They didn't!

I HATE the cursed jingle, especially on a dark screen. It scared the crap out of me as a kid, and I'm still getting chills whenever this happens!

Just wondering: does anyone have similar reactions like this when they hear the dreaded jingle? Or perhaps any other game-related sound/music, for that matter?

Edited by Miles Edgeworth

I like the Cursed Jingle. Really gets the point across. ; )

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.

What, they also use it for save file corruption? That's pretty messed up. I didn't mind it at all in regards to, you know, equipping cursed stuff in-game, but tacking that on to something that can trigger all kinds of negative responses from the player (especially in regards to IX and all the stuff crammed into it) feels really inappropriate, especially from a design perspective.

I mean, I'm probably overreacting, but it wouldn't really help matters after losing my save file forever if some dumb fanfare played to mark the occasion.

I didn't know they did that. That's actually really clever to incorporate that with corrupted save files, though I'm sure no one will be happy to hear it...

Freaked me out when I was a kid too. I think I even had a nightmare once where that tone played, haha.

You know, I've had over 100 plays of NES DW3, 20+ of DW4, maybe 20+ of DW2, and only 2 of DW1 NES, and I have never known about this.  Ever.  Never seen it.

Same with any DQ actually, I've just never encountered this problem.  Hopefully I never do.

That would be pretty scary.  Though honestly, it's a great way to mark the occasion of absolute horror.  I do find it funny the reaction is negative about the music played and not the actual loss of data.

I remember this happening with Rocketslime, first DQ game for that matter. Somehow, the cursed jingle with the "file has been corrupted" message appeared. First time I had heard the curse sound, and I was freaking out, since I had so much post-game time invested in it. I turned the game off, cleaned the cartridge well, and when I restarted the game, my file was back!

But now every time I hear that jingle, my heart races for like a second, since I already associated it with a very bad situation. It's pretty cool though because now  I actually feel the evil within that jingle.

When I was a teenager. I replayed DQ4 and completed the 3rd chapter. I ended the game by holding reset and pushing power. I went back to that file a couple times and when I reloaded it, the screen said "Chapter 4: The Sisters of Monbaraba". A few days later I went back to the game, and it played the jingle, telling me adventure log 3 was erased. My other logs were fine.

Is this a matter of ROM corruption? I never saved like that again, and it never happened again. So yeah, that video kinda spooks me too.

Edit: If the file was erased, how does the ROM have an "awareness" of it? When I lost Zelda files, they just disappeared, so I always figured battery failure was simply memory loss. I can understand this on modern flash memory, but ROMS that needed battery juice?

Edited by redneckpride4ever

It could either be that, or a battery issue. A battery nearing its end of life can be flakey and cause data corruption in the RAM memory it's supposed to keep "alive" when the cartridge is not used. When the game tries to read data when loading your quest log, if it can't properly identify what kind of data there is instead of the typical adventure log data, it will "DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU, DU-DUM!" and clear the data.

Nowaways, battery issues are no longer an issue thanks to flash memory, but for technology as old as the NES, that's the only solution they had that wouldn't make cartridges cost an arm and a leg.

Battery issues should just be the save file isn't even there.  I need batteries replaced in several games, never once have I seen anything indicating the game was "corrupt", rather they simply weren't there.  I can save a game on them, but if I don't replay it within a week, the battery won't continue to store it.

Come to think of it, I've never had a "corrupt save" except on the PSX.

Redneck, given what you've said, I know the general statement from Nintendo is to hold reset and turn the power off, and the game even says that.  I have never done this for any game on the NES, ever.  I wonder if that has any significance.

Edit: You know, I cannot recall a single instance where I've turned off the game using the church to "turn it off".  The only save corruption I've experienced with the PSX is two-fold.  One was just a bad card where every game would corrupt after a certain point.  the other was on a good card, and only after having a bunch of repeats in my township after using my own save to "trade with".  Coincidentally, both saves corrupted after doing so.  I believe I had over 4 merchant repeats.

Edited by ignasia7