Sign in to follow this  
Yoon

Dragon Geo | Android Map App

The new version (1.04) of DRAGON GEO is now live on the Google Play Store! Many large changes in this version.

1.04:

- Android "L" Preview support added.

- Music is now offered as an optional download.

- Animated ocean effect added for select world maps.

- Dragon Quest IV [PS1] & Dragon Quest IV [ANDROID / IOS] version support

added.

- Dragon Quest V [DS] world map labels added.

- Dragon Quest VII [PS1] world map labels added.

- Dragon Quest IX [DS] world map added.

- Several Dragon Warrior III [NES] maps have been added.

- New WING button added for easier map changing.

Many thanks goes out to King Zenith for the supply of the Dragon Quest IX world map! Also am thankful to Woodus & Dragon's Den for helping out on the hosting of the optional audio pack!

You can check out DRAGON GEO here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ycorner.dragongeo

• Upvote 2

Will 1.05 include the Past Map of DQVII?

Thanks for your work on this, Yoon. Very useful with replays and just the sheer nostalgia of it all. While working on the DQ8 'movie' project, I did an extract of the in-game map for DQ8. Ran a 16:9 and a 4:3 one - the latter being the better. You're welcome to it if you'd like, since you don't have a DQ8 map yet. The red/blue location dots are present on the 4:3 - something I hope to go back and Photoshop out once I have some free time. The original is 3400x2600, 72dpi.

dq8_ingamemap_16-9_zpse71fa4f3.jpg

Edited by brigam25

@Esturkdq4: The next version of Dragon Geo is unlikely to feature the past map for DQ7, as an existing map resource is not available at this time.

@brigam25: Thanks for your offer! Also glad to hear that it helped you out on your recent replays! :) Your extracted Dragon Quest VIII map is awesome, nicely done!

Because of the map file size, I'll won't be able to add it into the app immediately, but will try to make some space adjustments to make some space in the app.

Maybe host the maps on a webserver of some sort, and have the app pull them from the server? Then again, that screws offline users, and also seems to defeat the point of having an app instead of looking the maps up online...

AerynB and I are working on a "past map" for DQ7.  It's a ways off before it'll be finished, but it's in progress.  She identified a couple of snags though that might make it difficult to assemble it as a single area.  Some neighboring regions don't blend seamlessly because of their disparate timelines and different features that may get removed at different times.  I think Verdham and Engow were the worst offenders. 

For those reasons, we had thought that we might do each area as a separate map in the past, instead of composing one large map.  Not sure what people think of that.

AerynB and I are working on a "past map" for DQ7. It's a ways off before it'll be finished, but it's in progress. She identified a couple of snags though that might make it difficult to assemble it as a single area. Some neighboring regions don't blend seamlessly because of their disparate timelines and different features that may get removed at different times. I think Verdham and Engow were the worst offenders.

For those reasons, we had thought that we might do each area as a separate map in the past, instead of composing one large map. Not sure what people think of that.

That's awesome, Z! Yeah, I was thinking that treating each past region as a map of its own is probably the best approach. It's probably for the better, considering each of the past regions aren't probably taking place in the same time period.

Hey guys, just letting you know that Dragon Geo 1.05 has finally been released!

This version introduces new interface for the title screen, along with a few new neat features, such as the ability to view and set various battle backgrounds from the DQ series as wallpaper. The new version is also fully compatible with the new Android 5.0 Lollipop, released a few weeks ago.

Here's a full list of updates:

* 1.05:

- New interface for the title screen. Swipe the screen left or right, or press the left or right edges of the screen to change the game series.

- New SCENERY mode added. Can view Dragon Warrior battle background images and set as wallpaper.

- New INSTRUCTION / QUICK TIPS added.

- New TRAVEL DOOR button available for Dragon Warrior I & II [NES].

- New maps added: Samanao Castle [Dragon Warrior III (NES)

- Map navigation button layout has been optimized single-handed usage.

- Optimizations made for 320p, 480p, 600p, 720p, 1080p, and 1440p devices.

Screenshots of the new version:

7a5b48aad56c2096f91bbfbfdbabb58c.jpg

c33b9353c7c2ac66d14fdc9e918a0adb.jpg

cea705ea5fc723d533dc14a2aacf7daf.jpg

af7e464268dceb15369595dd62613ff8.jpg

bd4820f50c8a2ea072fb61f50140f2be.jpg

ee8bbad3ffd91003ed6bd4cf67c35c53.jpg

Dragon Geo 1.05 has been uploaded to the Google Play Store and should be available within an hour or two from the time of this post.

Edited by Yoon

Just updated - nice to see the addition of Scenery graphics. Some of them I don't recall - guess I didn't pay that close attention when I played the games :)

Add Caravan Heart! There's some good maps on here for that hidden gem of a game!

And AWESOME job with what you've already accomplished!

Thanks for the update Yoon! It's looking great.  Where did you come up with "Millennium Saga" from?  Just curious, as I know it is difficult to group 7 - 9 in the same way that the others can be grouped.  I am trying to get the DQ8 in-game graphics map done in the next month or so.  Hopefully it can be incorporated into your app, as I think it's the game that I have most needed to consult a world map for.  

Something I noticed this time that I have never noticed before is the Japanese option.  That must have been a hell of a lot of work for you to get the names for everything in both languages. Do you get usage statistics by region?  I'd be curious to know if some Japanese fans are downloading your app and finding it useful. 

Anyway, thanks again for the update!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

@Zenith: I've been following the progress of the Dragon Quest VIII map that you've been making. It looks awesome; can't wait for the final result!

About the "Millennium Saga" grouping, I just came up with it on my own, as I wanted to keep the game group labeling consistent in the app. Since Dragon Quest VII, VIII, IX were released in 2000 and beyond, I figured it would be convienient to label post (3rd) millenial DQ games. But this grouping doesn't take in consideration of the DQ remakes & side series released after 2000. :P

The Japanese language support is something I always wanted to have for Dragon Geo, since DQ is so popular in Japan. Checking today's Google Play Store stats, there have been a total of 3699 downloads, with 1,420 (38.39%) of the downloads originating from Japan, making Japan number one in the rankings where Dragon Geo is most popular. I've been getting a few feedback from Japanese users, mostly positive feedback. What's interesting is that for Japanese users, the limited edition SHARP SH-01F Dragon Quest Android phone is the most popular device for Dragon Geo installs. :)

As for stats for the rest of the world, the US comes in at third, with 656 (17.73%) downloads. Brazil comes in at number 3, with 176 (4.76%) downloads, while France is number 4, with 111 (3.00%). Russia, Italy, Germany, Spain, Turkey, and Canada make up the rest of the top 10 rankings. It's been quite fascinating monitoring the Google Play Store app analytics on who/what/where Dragon Geo is being installed. :)

Awsome yoon i hope my phone wont turn it self of this time

Yeah, let me know if this version causes that issue. Still perplexed why it would cause your phone to restart.

The new version of Dragon Geo (1.06) is live on the Google Play Store! This version has the Alefgard map from Dragon Quest I (iOS/Android), as well as King Zenith's amazing Dragon Quest VIII world map.

The new GRAPHICS options is now available and has replaced the old RESOLUTION options, with LOW, MEDIUM, and HIGH settings. Setting the GRAPHICS to MEDIUM should allow users to view large maps properly, but will be slower, as GPU hardware acceleration is disabled in this mode.

Here is the full list of changes:

* 1.06:

- World maps for Dragon Quest I [ANDROID / IOS] and Dragon Quest VIII [PLAYSTATION 2 / ANDROID / IOS] have been added.

- New music files for Dragon Quest I [ANDROID / IOS] and Dragon Quest VIII have been added.

- Dragon Quest VI [DS] Underwater World maps now have location labels.

- Dragon Warrior III [NES] Cave East of Baharata and Tantegel Castle maps have been added.

- Previous RESOLUTION option has now been replaced with GRAPHICS option, with three settings: LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH.

Thanks for the update! It's a bit painful to see the DQ8 map at the low resolution.  I tried to dial up the graphics setting but my poor little Galaxy s2 doesn't qualify:

"Sorry, your device must have at least 1024 MB of RAM to enable this feature."

I'll have to try it on the Galaxy Tab 3 when I get home to see how it looks with a higher graphics setting.

Thanks for the update! It's a bit painful to see the DQ8 map at the low resolution.  I tried to dial up the graphics setting but my poor little Galaxy s2 doesn't qualify:

"Sorry, your device must have at least 1024 MB of RAM to enable this feature."

I'll have to try it on the Galaxy Tab 3 when I get home to see how it looks with a higher graphics setting.

Whoops, looks like there was an issue with the system check code. Your Galaxy S2 should be okay with up to at least MEDIUM settings. I just released a minor version (1.07) that addresses this issue.

I renamed the .apk to .ipa and it still doesn't run on my iPhone!

(I didn't really do that.)

Ahh, thanks.  Yes that helps.  It runs with HIGH settings now.  The map does look better at this setting, thanks again.

Hey guys, it's been a while! Just wanted to let you guys know that I just posted a new update (1.09) of Dragon Geo on the Google Play Store! Here's the list of changes:

* 1.09:
- New maps added for Dragon Warrior III [NES]: Castle of Baramos, Castle of Zoma, Cave of Necrogond, Cave Northwest of Tantegel, Cave Southeast of Samanao, Cave Southwest of Tantegel, Tower of Arp, Tower of Garuna, Tower West of Kol.
- Several new backgrounds added for the title screen.
- Optimized for 240p and 540p devices.

With this update, all the maps from the NES version of Dragon Warrior III are available for viewing in Dragon Geo! The update is now live on Google Play!

Now, onto something that's not Dragon Geo (or Dragon Quest) related, I released a new app called CHRONO MAPS, which is map app that is similar to Dragon Geo, but for Chrono Trigger. It's kind of my tribute to Chrono Trigger, as Chrono Trigger celebrates it's 20th anniversary this year! It is on the Google Play Store, in which you can check it out here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ycorner.chronomaps

Edited by Yoon

Awesome App, Yoon. Thanks a lot.

Reminds me of my youth when I used to spend the whole day with the PC on and Dragon's Den's maps in my browser while playing DQ on my GBC.

Also, do you mind if I help you translate the app to Brazilian Portuguese? I thrust you have a strings file for the app, right?

Keep up the good work. 

• Upvote 1

Hey guys, it's been a while! Just wanted to let you know that an update has been released for Dragon Geo!

Here's a list of changes:

* 1.15:

- Labels for Dream World and Real World maps for Dragon Quest VI [DS] added.
- Added map support for Dragon Quest V-VI [Android/iOS].
- Ocean animation added for overworld maps in Dragon Quest IV/V/VI/VII.
- Music pack feature is now built-in as part of the app.
- Alternate map music have been added for Dragon Warrior/Quest II [NES/SFC], Dragon Warrior/Quest IV [NES/PS1/DS/Android/iOS]
- Additional battle background images have been added.
- Added the ability to zoom in further on maps.

Dragon Geo 1.15 is now live on the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ycorner.dragongeo&hl=en

@Leonardo: Thanks for the offer Leonardo! Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been active on Dragon's Den much recently. 

Most of the strings file for the app is for the map lists and menu text, but the actual map labels are generated as images that are overlayed on top of the maps themselves. 
Edited by Yoon

Happy holidays everyone, it's been a while!

After a long period of no updates, I just released a new version of Dragon Geo! Here's what's new:

* 1.17:

- MUSIC (NEW FEATURE): Songs from Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest can now be listened to in the new MUSIC section!

- CRASH REPORTING: Support for crash reporting has been implemented. Can be turned on/off in OPTIONS.

- ANDROID 7.0 NOUGAT: Multi-window support has been added.

- Dragon Warrior III [NES]: Changed ocean tile to mid-day tile.

- Dragon Quest IX [DS]: Fixed issue with map not loading on devices without 4K texture support.

The new update is now live on the Google Play Store!

Happy Holidays!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk