Sign in to follow this  
Yoon

Dragon Geo | Android Map App

Not sure if this is the right spot in the forums, but I wanted to introduce an Android app that I've been working on for the past few months. 

dg_feature_graphic-34114_640x320.png

DRAGON GEO is an interactive map app (not a game) that is akin to Google Maps. DRAGON GEO allows for viewing world, region, castle, town, dungeon, and shrine maps from Dragon Warrior / Quest I-VI. It also includes maps from the remake versions that later appeared on the Super Famicom, Game Boy Color, and Nintendo DS. As an added nostalgic touch, the entire interface uses the old Dragon Warrior command window style, complete with music and sound effects from the original Dragon Warrior / Quest games.

More about the origin of DRAGON GEO: Project Geo was originally used as a way for me to get familiar with Android development. The Dragon Geo concept was inspired by Google's 8-Bit Dragon Quest Google Maps April Fools' joke from two years ago. During development, I’ve learned quite a bit about developing on the Android platform, such as programming gestures, loading and playing media files, displaying large images, UX design, handling memory optimization issues, and much more. Although I still have far to go in terms of Android development (and mobile development in general), I’m proud to have been able to put out a quality first app that I quite enjoyed working on in the available spare time I had.

I’d like to thank the sites & people (especially DRAGON'S DEN & KING ZENITH, many thanks!) that have made map resources available online.  Without them, DRAGON GEO would not be possible:

• D-Navi
  • Dragon’s Den
  • FlyingArmor
  • King Zenith
  • NES Maps
  • NES SNES Sprites
  • Realm of Darkness
  • RPG Legion
  • Sprite Database
  • x_loto
  • Zophar’s Domain

DRAGON GEO is now available for download on the Google Play Store. If you have an Android device, be sure to check it out! I'll be making improvements to the app from time to time.

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

Edited by Yoon

Wow that sounds cool, I will have to check it out with one of my android devices, I am traveling now and only have my iDevice

Awesome, thanks Yoon! This app is amazing.  I love using it on my Galaxy Tab 3 and scanning through the maps on the large tablet screen.

Here are some screenshots I took while using it on my Galaxy S2:

DragonGeo02.png

DragonGeo03.png

DragonGeo04.png

DragonGeo06.png

DragonGeo07.png

DragonGeo08.png

DragonGeo09.png

DragonGeo10.png

DragonGeo11.png

It's when I see things like these that I hate being stuck with my Blackberry... :(

"Dost thou wish to rest?"

Nah, I'm cool...

"But thou must!"

...!

Edited by Miles Edgeworth
  • Upvote 1

D: I don't have an Android but this looks really cool! Good job!

• Upvote 1

It's when I see things like these that I hate being stuck with my Blackberry... :(

"Dost thou wish to rest?"

Nah, I'm cool...

"But thou must!"

...!

To be honest, I was very tempted to add that dialog loop while developing that part of the code. :P

Just released the first official update to Dragon Geo on the Google Play Store! Version 1.01 contains the following changes:

* 320x480 devices now supported. No longer crashes when Dragon Geo is launched with 320p devices.

* Many maps added for Dragon Warrior III [NES].

* Dragon Quest IV [DS] Overworld map is now labeled.

* Inn and shop information is now available for castle/town/village maps.

Edited by Yoon
  • Upvote 1

I think you should keep this app exclusive to Android :)

I don't. If at all possible (I know apple's a b*tch to work with) you should port this to iOS. I'd even pay money for it (at a decent price of course) just to support projects like this, even though I can get the maps online.

Also, I'd like to note that once I finish the DQ7 world map you will be welcome to add it to your app. I don't know how long that will be, it's actually a bigger project than I realized it would be. (The scans of the guidebook that I have are at a relatively low-resolution, I'd like to work with something a bit higher res because I've spent more time shopping map images than actually piecing them together.)

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I don't. If at all possible (I know apple's a b*tch to work with) you should port this to iOS. I'd even pay money for it (at a decent price of course) just to support projects like this, even though I can get the maps online.

I would disagree. Because if it's android exclusive, it'll be one more reason to buy an android device

But that requires money... A resource that I do not have an abundance of. I can afford to buy an app. I can't afford to buy another tablet/phone/misc.-touch-screen-enabled-device.

;) That is an awesome looking app there. A shame the other games and other versions couldn't be incorporated into it. Perhaps that might come with a future update or something?

Nice work on the update Yoon! Thanks for the heads up.  Hope everyone here (who is able to) will check it out.

Yeah I put it on my tablet at work, very nicely done.

Thanks everyone! Although the real thanks goes out to King Zenith and communities like Dragon's Den, who have made these maps available; without them Dragon Geo wouldn't be possible.

While DG is only available for Android at the moment, I'd like to eventually port it over to iOS & W8, as I'm working on building up my cross-mobile development skills. I'd also like to add more maps and DQ games in future updates, but I'll have come up with an effective strategy to deal with app space usage.

Also, I'd like to note that once I finish the DQ7 world map you will be welcome to add it to your app. I don't know how long that will be, it's actually a bigger project than I realized it would be. (The scans of the guidebook that I have are at a relatively low-resolution, I'd like to work with something a bit higher res because I've spent more time shopping map images than actually piecing them together.)

That would be awesome! It's funny that you mention DQ7, as someone sent me a response (in Japanese) yesterday, demanding that that I add maps for DQ7. :P

You developing this makes me almost think I should pay for Maplib and start adding maps in that method on the Den

• Upvote 1

That would be awesome! :)

Speaking of which, looks like someone uploaded a Dragon Quest IX map (in Japanese) on Maplib: http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=5754#

I may have to start saving up for it (wish I would have bough it before the price doubled)

You developing this makes me almost think I should pay for Maplib and start adding maps in that method on the Den

;) That would be awesome to see, easier to view too :)

Hey everyone, just posted an update (1.02) for Dragon Geo on the Google Play Store! Here are the changes with the new version:

* Fixed a few audio-related crash bugs.

* Fixed a memory issue for LOW RESOLUTION mode.

* Added several new maps for Dragon Warrior III: Cave of Enticement, Noaniels, Romaly Castle, Noaniels, Cave West of Noaniels, Eginbear Castle, Portoga, Isis, Isis Castle, Cave of Jipang, Port Town, Haukness, Shrine of Holy, and Shrine of the Poison Swamp.

* Added Gwaelin's Cave for Dragon Warrior II.

* Added the Dragon Warrior VII PS1 map that King Zenith made recently.

Many thanks goes out again to King Zenith and x_loto!

Cool, nice update. Thanks for the heads up.

Next update (1.04) of Dragon Geo will soon be dropping to an Android device near you! It's been a while since the last update, and there have been some major changes. Here's a sneak peek at what's coming:

d3e9c1ba50b7c7b5f6f6bfb67f4cf5e6.jpg

63165e6ac157021d3a40e97df6d01c5a.jpg

48613fb53c5d834195c94d0e1a996529.jpg

55f4d33047297d8d3b51340dce50eb47.jpg

King Zenith's world map rips of Dragon Quest V (DS), VII, IX map have been fully labeled and will make an appearance in the next version of DG. Also, animated ocean effects have been added for DW4 (NES) and the SFC iterations of DQ. Several maps have also been added for DW3 (NES). Finally, audio is now an optional download, offered separately as an add-on to the app; this is done to make more space for more maps in the app.

Dragon Geo 1.04 will make it's debut later this week!

Any possibility this might make it to iOS some day? Normally I'd think Apple would drop it, but there's a full-on UNOFFICIAL remake of triple triad using FF8's assets on the App Store, so...

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for your continued hard work on this.  Looking forward to the next update.

Thanks! Wanted to release an update Dragon Geo earlier, but other Android development projects took up much of my time during the summer. :P

Any possibility this might make it to iOS some day? Normally I'd think Apple would drop it, but there's a full-on UNOFFICIAL remake of triple triad using FF8's assets on the App Store, so...

With Apple's new Swift language available for iOS development, I may take a stab at iOS development. But sadly, it probably will be a while until I can make an iOS version happen.