Sign in to follow this  
aft3rgl0w

Dragon Warrior 7 Maps?

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has links to world maps for Dragon Warrior 7 (with town names).  There seems to be quite a dearth of these online... the only one I can find with town names is a hand-drawn one, and it doesn't include all towns/dungeons, or show regions.  If anyone has anything it would greatly appreciated!

Edited by aft3rgl0w
  • Upvote 1

I don't know of any preexisting ones, but I wouldn't mind making one. In fact, if Woodus wants, I'll let him keep it on the Den. Give me a few days, I'll get started on it tonight.

;) I'd like to get some rips of all the monster character sprites (This can easily be done with the Monster Part) for an RPG Maker project I'm working on. But that's a whole different topic all together, as for your question, I never noticed it but yeah there seem to be no dungeon maps for Dragon Warrior VII, I guess with that one being a less popular RPG than others it shouldn't come to no surprise.

I don't think the popularity is the issue.  It's the 3D perspective of the world map and also the dungeons.  That makes it very tricky to extract if you are trying to stitch together screenshots.  It has long been a dream of mine to come up with a nice easy way to rip the overworld and dungeon maps for this game (and the dungeon maps for DS 4 - 6). 

I am looking forward to seeing what Erdrick The Hero comes up with for the overworld!

Me too Zenith, me too.

Been meaning to scan the ones in the Japanese guide. Guess I should get to that.

Been meaning to scan the ones in the Japanese guide. Guess I should get to that.

You have the original or the 3DS guide? I have the 3DS one.

@Erdrick - let me know what you come up with, I've been considering doing this as well.  As King Zenith mentioned tho, it's NOT easy - even doing screen grabs with an emulator, they don't exactly match up. 

I'd like to know how they got the dungeon maps for the guide - it appears as tho they are "tilesets", although perfectly pieced together.  That being said, i'd be fine with a map with a tileset that wasn't 100% aligned, as long as it was close.  If you have any ideas, throw them my way, maybe we can work something out. 

Oh, did you need a tilemap? I've been working on one using the artwork from the Prima guide, not a tileset. (Granted, I haven't gotten much done on it because real life has gotten in the way, but I've made a start.)

Well, a tileset is what I had in mind (for making my own), but really ANY map (with locations listed (towns & dungeons)) would be welcome (and much appreciated!) :)

Edited by aft3rgl0w

I am working on a couple of approaches to making a "tileset" based map of sorts.  I think I have the method right, but I still need to tune the parameters before I can run it and be happy with the results. 

I have two *very rough* prototype images for it.  The first is a low-res map strip produced by scanning the frames while flying over in the floaty-rock-thingy.  It's very grainy because I haven't set the frame rate to match the scanning speed yet.  The second sample is smaller, but you can see the improved feature detail because I more closely matched the frame rate to the scan speed.  I haven't yet trimmed the edges though, so pay no attention to the weirdness at the top and bottom of the image... 

In either case, the results will be much better if I could scan from the ground, but I would need a walk-through-walls code that works on the overworld map.  Does anyone know of such a code?

Here are the map samples:

DW7_Mapping_DeTilt_30FPS_Low_Oblique.png

DW7_Mapping_DeTilt_90FPS_Low_Oblique_Tes

@King Zenith: try these:

WTWs Field (press SELECT to activate, START to deactivate)

D00C9962 FFF7
800C1C0A FFA6
D00C9962 FFFE
800C1C0A 0000

OR

WTWs World Map Only

D01301E0 04B8
801301E2 2400

I haven't tested these, even though I do have a gameshark (which I promptly borked after getting it used from ebay a couple weeks ago :( any experience fixing those things? lol)

BTW this is the method that I was using (using the floating rock), but I only played with a few screenshots, trying to match them up, so far.  I really haven't had time to sit down and play around with it yet, maybe this weekend.  Let me know if you make any headway :)

Edited by aft3rgl0w

Thanks! I'll definitely give those a try and let you know how they panned out. 

The problem with assembling full-frame screenshots is that you have two-dimensions of parallax to remove.  You can remove the parallax in the Y-direction by recording a video of yourself walking (or flying) due north.  If you extract a single scan-line (one pixel in the y-direction, but the whole frame in the x-direction) from each frame of your movie, and then reassemble the scanlines together in a script you can build up a seamless strip in the vertical direction.  After that, you can simply seam together a set of maybe 10 or 11 complete strips to form the whole map.  Since the end results is only 11 or so strips, you can do a more careful and fancy x-parallax removal using some kind of affine transformation.  Doing this on the whole image map one frame at a time would make anyone bang your head through the wall, but it's manageable in small doses.

Here is the same concept applied to the Dragon Quest 8 overworld map (which I really need to finish up...):

DQ8_Perspective_Map_Test2_North_Looking_

You have the original or the 3DS guide? I have the 3DS one.

Oops, missed this. Original. They're from the V-Jump guide. Not bad, if I'm remembering correctly.

@Zenith: ahhhh, ok, i kinda know what you're talking about.  i'll look into it more, it's a little outside my knowledge base, but something i definitely want to explore.  that DWVIII map strip is sick!  Would love to see the whole thing when completed ;)  

@Dwaine: I've never heard of the v-jump guide, is there a scan of it somewhere? (or could there be? *winkwink* ;) )  I have the prima guide, which is alright, but woefully lacking in detail (like a friggin' world map!)