Sign in to follow this  
robotnikthedrak

This is it! The Ultimate Dragon's Den Giveaway! :D

Ok, it's time for ol' Yangus to leave his entry for the giveaway!

My first encounter with the Dragon Quest series goes back to when I was a kid. My mom had bought me a Gameboy Color, and told me I could pick out any game I wanted for it. Well, the game I decided was a little gem known as Dragon Warrior Monsters. I don't know what drew me to that game, but I know that after I started playing it I had a lot of fun with it. It was the first RPG I had ever played, so it was a bit of a learning process when trying to get through the game. For a while I didn't know how to save my progress, so I ended up repeating the first few gates of the game multiple times. Eventually I figured it out, but it didn't change much. I won't lie, I was pretty bad at the game, not realizing how important it was to breed monsters and bring healing items. I would usually just rush through each gate as fast as I could, trying to reach the boss at the end before all my monsters died on me. It was a little frustrating back then, but I never gave up...until I got to the Battlerex. That thing was a road block for many years until I wised up on RPG gameplay.

After my exposure to DWM, I found out a sequel (or rather sequels) were going to be on the GBC. So, when Christmas rolled around the year they were released, I asked my mom for both games, and sure enough on Christmas morning I had not one but two new Dragon Warrior Monsters games: Tara's Adventure and Cobi's Journey. These were the games that really got me into the series, and were the seeds that started my love for Dragon Warrior Monsters (and eventually Dragon Quest). Funny enough, it was because of these games that I never got into Pokémon as a kid or even all that much now.

My history with the main series, however, is a little odd. While I knew about the GBC versions of 1-3 (and the PSX version of Dragon Warrior VII thanks to an ad in a strategy guide I owned), I never wanted to get them. For some reason, my younger self didn't want to play those games simply because you didn't get to play or collect the monsters. I completely skipped these titles, and for a number of years I never played or got another DQ/DW title. Now, as the years went on, I found out about Dragon Quest IV & V for the DS thanks to Nintendo Power, but again, for whatever reason, I completely ignored them. I recognized a few elements (such as Healie being a Heal Slime) but still it didn't change my stance.

It wasn't until E3 2010 that I finally pieced everything together. I found out Nintendo was planning on bringing DQIX to the West, and after reading Nintendo Power's cover of the game, everything clicked. I realized how much I had missed out on over the years. I felt like a real idiot for completely ignoring the series as I grew up, but I decided then and there it was time to make for lost time!  In September of that same year, I began to collect each title in the main series (and a few spin-offs), starting with III for the GBC, followed by IV (DS), V (DS), IX (DS), I&II (GBC), VI (DS), VIII (PS2), and eventually VII (PSX), with VII being the most recent game I've played in the main series. I collected them as fast I could, and played through them slowly but surely. I enjoyed ever game I played (excluding IX, but I won't go into that). Heck, I bought a PS2 just so I could play DQVIII, that's how determined I was!

Though it took me so long to return to the series, I felt right at home with each game I played. It was like reuniting with an dear old friend, the kind of friend who doesn't hold a grudge if you haven't spoken in years, and you can instantly reconnect with in a short matter of time. It was good to be back in this wonderful world (or worlds, I should say).

Now, there are three things that I absolutely love about this series. First off, I love all the monster designs. Whether they're recolors, simple, complex, happy looking, scary looking, and so on, I love all the creatures that exist in this series. They were one of the reasons I loved DWM so much as a kid. I loved adding new faces to my collection of creatures, breeding them together to create powerful new allies. I had the guide for DWM2, and I remember always looking through the list of monsters and admiring the artwork for each of them. Later on, I would go on to enjoy the artwork for characters from the rest of the DQ franchise, from main characters to side characters to villains. It was actually because of this series that I've grown up to appreciate artwork so much, and I'm very thankful for that.

Second, I absolutely adore the music of this franchise. Sugiyama's work has been stuck in my head for years thanks to 8-bit chiptones of the GBC and the symphonic renditions of his work. Really, other than a few pieces he's written, I enjoy all of his work immensely, and would say he is definitely my favorite composer of all time. I would personally love to learn how to play a few of his pieces, most notable Torneko Taloon's theme since I play a low brass instrument, the tuba.

Lastly, I love the adventures you get to experience with the series. I've always liked that DQ doesn't try to make the plots overly complex, and instead allow you to go at your own pace and see what the worlds have to offer. The games provide wonderful casts of characters you get to travel with on your quests to save the world, whether they are the seven other chosen heroes who will aid you, a host of monster friends who will join you if you best them in battle, or a cockney bandit, a fair and determined mage, and a playboy with a tragic past who travel with you and the cursed king and princess.  Each game is so unique in how they tell their tales and how they introduce their characters, but never lose focus on the simple and easy to understand gameplay that binds them all together into one wonderful franchise.

So, there you have it. This has been Yangus, and-

King Trode: Aren't you finished yet, you great oaf?! We won't find Dhoulmagus with you constantly talking your head off, now will we, hmm?!

COR BLIMEY! DON'T SNEAK UP ON ME LIKE THAT!

I've held off on making this, my entry, not because I have a penchant for procrastination, but because I wanted to take my time tracing my history with DQ and identifying the highlights, so to speak. Without further ado, my own Dragon Quest experience.

I began playing video games on a regular basis by the age of four - my first two gaming platforms were an NES and a Game Boy. My love of games came from my older cousin, who growing up had no small influence on me and my gaming tastes. His was the first NES I ever played, and not long after I had my own, a gift from his family. His NES game collection for many years was much larger than my own (though I can say now that I have surpassed his!), encompassing myriad genres, companies, and publishers. I was most acclimated to platformers at this time, and much of our gaming time together was spent controlling the plumbers. However, he had a few select games that he told much younger me were a bit too much for me to handle - these included Solstice, Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Shadowgate and Deja Vu, and what else but Dragon Warrior. Being a child who had just recently been told something was out of reach devoted much of our time together twisting his arm to show me these mysterious games. He would relent, and play them for a short time before shutting them off. I was enthralled, and regarding the latter, didn't really know what I was seeing. Moving one space at a time? These popups where you took your time and watched a static enemy on the screen? What was this? Where's the dexterity, the health bar, the lives counter? To me, this game was breaking all the gaming conventions, and it was awesome. Unfortunately, he would not let me play, for fear of losing his saves. Exactly how he expected me to do this, I cannot say. What I can say, however, is that it would be many years until I would obtain this game for myself.

Flash forward the aforementioned "many years", and I pick up Dragon Warrior, loose cart only, at a used game store, remembering my earlier fascination. I played it, enjoyed it, and that was the extent of it. I was at this time unaware that it had become a franchise of its own, though I was not ignorant of the RPG genre, of course. It was right around this time I was given a copy of Dragon Warrior Monsters, newly released on the Game Boy/ Color (though the copy was "lightly used"). If Dragon Warrior was the nudge that got me intrigued by DQ, Dragon Warrior Monsters was the gaping rabbit hole that found itself beneath me, with no signs of escape. I was drawn in like no other game had done for me for quite a long time. In an effort to prolong the game, I tried to play it only outside the house, during trips, vacation, or any such thing. It didn't work very well, but during those times is when I was able to really invest time into it. I should mention my cousin also got a hold of his own copy, and I have very fond memories of family vacations in the mountains, where we would spend hours and hours playing our separate Game Boys, often peering over each others' shoulders at those little screens, eager to see what new monsters the other had bred. To this day my extended family will take these same trips, and I'm always filled with a warm nostalgia upon arrival, a reminder of my decade-old passion.

I eventually poured a few hundred hours into the game, got every monster, did everything in the game, which had by now cemented itself as my favorite game of all time (though truly, it's in a two-way tie to this day, with Paper Mario). From here the interest in the series grew even more, and I began amassing more and more Dragon Quest games. After DWM1 was Dragon Warrior 1 + 2, my first experience with a main series DQ game that was not 1. From here I moved onto DWM2. If Dragon Warrior Monsters is my favorite game of all time, Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 is what I consider the best game of all time. It was DWM1 all over again, complete with DQ-filled vacations and really a DQ-filled life. From here my collection began growing exponentially and continues to grow, though it has begun to taper off, as I'm only missing a few unique DQ-related games, though this does not mean I am any less infatuated with the series. I've played through (and continue to play) the two DQM 3DS remakes, and these were a surge of nostalgia like nothing else. I've played through the GB/C originals a few times, but seeing them in fully remade glory was truly a wonder, and definitely one of the highlights of my gaming career.

I could go on endlessly, obsessing over the minutiae of all of my Dragon Quest memories, but unfortunately I haven't the time, and this contest would surely end before I am able to submit my entry. I may add to this post periodically, but as it stands, this is a brief synopsis of my initiation into the DQ fandom.

PS: III>V>IV>II>VI>VII>VIII>I>IX

Edited by 1upsuper

I'm afraid I don't have an epic tale to weave for you like some of the other posters, but I've been a fan of Dragon Quest for quite a few years, ever since I got a copy of DQ1 when I was a kid. The game I put the most time into was probably DQM2, though I could never find the willpower to become a completionist. There's a sort of nostalgia to the series, its base simplicity and classically-inspired soundtracks by Sugiyama creating a foil to the more elaborate, modernized series like FF. It's a throwback to simpler times, isn't it?

As a tribute to that simplicity, I'm going to be taking some sprites from the later games and stripping them down to the style used in Dragon Quest I - minimal colour pallates, etc. Seems like a fun little tribute. Check back a little later and I'll have more edited into this post.

vJLZ9Py.gif

Warubou

9PjG4ca.png

Rainhawk

MwnIzR4.png

GreatDrak

(I'm not particularly happy with this one, but I couldn't seem to get the right vibe with it. Not sure why.)

Edited by Nat

I waited for as long as I could before posting this, because I kept hoping I would finish what I had originally planned (but time constraints prevented me from doing so).

Instead, I will simply reiterate my love for Dragon Quest. Characters, monsters, magic and (especially) the music are very special to me.

I still want DQ games to reach our continent again (or to be on a console without region locking, so I could more easily import them). I am sure we will still get DQ games, I just wish we got all of them.

By the way, my original submission plan was to create a sheet of Terry in different poses and with different expressions, thinking you may want to use it for your YouTube episodes. If I finish him someday, you are, of course, welcome to use him (heck, you can use any of my DQ pics if you want).

The Dragon Quest games give me a sense of love of the JRPG genre, when I didn't particularly like anything else in the genre.

It's nice that such a simple series could reignite something so lost with me, and to not call it simple would be a lie.

I love the monster designs, the music, the combat system (even if it isn't anything new!), and everything about it!

I love it so much that I've tried to import every game that I can afford, and to spend a couple of hundred on a Japanese console to play nothing but it.

Thanks for doing the competition, I only discovered it was open today. >.<

Hey where are the results? :D

Ive been waiting on the results of this too.

;) I too wish to know the results of this contest, also this particular thread page is very image heavy it seems :laugh:

I'm not sure if there is going to be "results", really. This kind of thing, I'm sure he's going to send out stuff to just about everyone. 

(( Loto card plz ))

Yes. I too am getting impatient.

Yeah. People put some good work into this.

Unfortunately I didn't ever have both time and internet access (at the same time) to make an entry myself. School/work/scuba lessons/life got in the way D:

But this is not a contest. This is a giveaway.

But this is not a contest. This is a giveaway.

Oh, my bad.  I guess I was confused by the repeated use of the word contest in the first sentence of the opening post ;)

I haven't all the prizes, yet, but let it commence now! :D Quest fans, you've from now until when the contest is declared closed upon April the 4th, 2014, to submit ANYTHING dragon quest to this topic, and you shall be entered into this contest of a lifetime.

As you say, it is clearly a giveaway though, and we have no clue on what merits each submission will be judged.

Actually, it is a contest; but it's also a giveaway, because... the prizes are without cost... and contests can in theory have no judgmental criteria . Eh... that is to say, each entry will be judged, but there will still be... a random element to the selection process. Hmm.... today would appear to be May 1st! Today is... the contest/giveaway deadline, so one has until midnight tonight to post. ^_^ There have already been so many wonderful thoughts shared by our fellow den brothers and sisters, and it would be nice to give something to everyone... but such an idea is unfeasible. It is therefore optional to the 6 or so winners, who feel compelled to do so, to share their prizes with other contestants. Such a thing is unlikely, but still possible. The judging by chichi and myself shall begin tonight, and the winners shall henceforth be revealed slowly, but surely.

Mmm.... in hindsight, perhaps the word "giveaway" was a poor choice on mine own verbosity. Ahem! Such is life, I suppose.  :D Never the less, the important idea to convey is that anyone who entered CAN win, even if judging entries... is the general procedure.

Edited by robotnikthedrak

Sniff... First, KZ is uncharacteristically sarcastic with me, and then Robotnik announces there will be just a few winners, and today is supposed to be a holiday in Mexico, yet we are still working...

I am depressed now...

Well, not really. Had I known, though, I would have sacrificed sleep hours to finish the in-progress pics I wanted for this in time.

Loto card.

Loto card.

If either of us gets those cards, I'd be willing to give you the Roto card if you are willing to give me the shiny Midenhall one  :)

That said, I got a few TCG and Battle Road cards if anyone is willing to trade the Midenhall card and/or others!

• Upvote 1

Loto card.

If either of us gets those cards, I'd be willing to give you the Roto card if you are willing to give me the shiny Midenhall one  :)

That said, I got a few TCG and Battle Road cards if anyone is willing to trade the Midenhall card and/or others!

Deal.

Sniff... First, KZ is uncharacteristically sarcastic with me, and then Robotnik announces there will be just a few winners, and today is supposed to be a holiday in Mexico, yet we are still working...

I am depressed now...

Well, not really. Had I known, though, I would have sacrificed sleep hours to finish the in-progress pics I wanted for this in time.

Sorry Cesar! I have been a complete ass lately.  I think stress from work is leaking over to my Den life.  I truly apologize for my overly sarcastic and down-right snippy comment. 

I'm looking forward to hearing the results/winners. :)

Sorry Cesar! I have been a complete ass lately.  I think stress from work is leaking over to my Den life.  I truly apologize for my overly sarcastic and down-right snippy comment.

* checks to see if sarcasm is present again *

Don't worry, man. I wasn't realy depressed. Much...

Everything will be forgiven if you donate any figures or soundtracks you win to me. ;)

Besides, I also read the GameFAQs forums. Almost nothing from here can hurt after that, hahahahaha.

Loto card.

I'll send it your way also if i get it. Afterall, i dont need two of them :P