Sign in to follow this  
robotnikthedrak

This is it! The Ultimate Dragon's Den Giveaway! :D

Soera, such a compelling tale you've shared with us! :D So, in your childhood, you bordered on antihero, yet rebounded back, and even served to protect in your homeland's militia! Tis' an honor to have ye' here on the den, lad! ^_^ Well, you've got quite a collection there... mmm, and I found the golden axe poster to be an amusing touch. Also, I hope you don't regret playing everquest all of those years; it is an interesting franchise, albeit ridiculously time consuming.... still! Keep up the good questing, old boy! :)

I have been a fan of Dragon Quest since around the PS2 era with my first dragon quest game being Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, and then later on Rocket Slime, joker and then eventually my first main series dragon quest game being Dragon Quest VIII (in which is my favorite game of all time); I have had good times with the dragon quest franchise from funny moments to even losing my copy of rocket slime in which I years down the line was able to replace and relive the glory of the game; but I want to tell my favorite dragon quest related story of mine and I hope you all find the humor in it like I do.

Well one weekend my family was going over to my grandmothers house for the day and my grandmother had recently got a 50 inch tv so my mom convinced me to bring my ps2 with me so I had something to do while we were over there, so I did so and set it up on the giant tv; at that point in time it was my first playthrough of DQVIII and I has just loaded up my save file from Orkutsk so I decided to roam around some looking for some monsters and ran into a random incounter. There were 3 killing machines I was facing, I knew I would be fine so i decided to fight them and the first person that got a turn was one of the killing machines and he decided to use Kathwack. The hero died, Yangus died, Jessica died, and lastly Angelo died; I just got compleatly wiped out by just one attack from a killing machine. Then at the same time my sister was there watching me and cracked up laughing, I found myself cracking up laughing too despite how I just got compleatly owned in 1 turn by an enemy I could face with little to no trouble. So while I may have memories like defeating dhoulmagus and rapthorne for the first time, beating my first dragon quest game or other exciting heart racing moments from the games in my opinion nothing beats the memory I have of being wiped out in a single move by a killing machine and getting a good laugh out of it.

So I guess you could say it was KILLING me to tell that story.

Sorry, I just cant resist a good pun.

killing_machine.pngkilling_machine.pngkilling_machine.png

• Upvote 1

Flippin' eck', Dragonmist! Wiped out, entirely, by an instadeath spell? Now THAT has me slain! "Killer" machine, indeed, I say! I thank you for this stunning addition to the dragon quest movie; that's the sort of occurence that most would certainly consider 'stranger than fiction'. ;)

And if i knew the odds of getting killed by a death spell i could find out what that chances were for that to happen, I would imagine it is quite a slim chance of happening.

..... Zoma..... a zoma moving thingy.... incredible ........but no Baramos?! You were THAT close to perfection! ;D But in all seriousness King Zenith, very well done. ^_^ Gema looks positively wicked... and I've never before even seen a photo of Corvus in such high quality resolution before... so, anyway: you raise several good points; firstly, I've always believed that if Orgodemir had began resembling his third form, and then proceeded straight to his fourth form (in other words, excluding his initial two forms, which are rather lackluster design-wise), he would've been vastly more monsterous, as well as more visually fascinating. Also, I can relate to first stumbling onto the dragon's den while'st feverishly searching for dragon quest information. Woodus's network of facts, strategies, and resources is impeccable in it's qualitative AND quantitative aspects. Eventually though, one partakes of the urge to at long last join it's ranks to better improve it still, for we all have something to offer to the dragon's den empire... which is what this contest is all about! :) Now then: Baramos and Deathmoor.... thou shalt not exclude them! :D

Ok, let's see... I can certainly do Baramos and Deathtamoor.  For fun, it will be Deathtamoor's second form, since we rarely see that given the attention it deserves.  I will have to see what I can do for Baramos.  I might try Baramos Bomus and / or Baramos Gonus, but failing that I will just do regular Baramos.

As for Pizarro and Esterk, I will come up with something... might not be good, but since you asked, I must deliver.

Why would we leave Hargon out of this? Think I will see if that's an option.  If I have time, maybe I will throw in a couple more regular monsters, but we will have to see what can be accomplished by the deadline...

Soera, such a compelling tale you've shared with us! :D So, in your childhood, you bordered on antihero, yet rebounded back, and even served to protect in your homeland's militia! Tis' an honor to have ye' here on the den, lad! ^_^ Well, you've got quite a collection there... mmm, and I found the golden axe poster to be an amusing touch. Also, I hope you don't regret playing everquest all of those years; it is an interesting franchise, albeit ridiculously time consuming.... still! Keep up the good questing, old boy! :)

I miss Everquest more than most people could ever realize its possible to do so. I keep a bust of Firiona Vie on my desk at all times. Heh the golden axe poster just happened to be in the same shot as my DQ VI poster. :)

I am continuing the questing. I just recently dropped a bit of cash on the most expensive piece of my DQ collection and when it arrives, I will definitely post a pic of it!

Some regular enemies, eh King Zenith? The Witch from dragon quest VIII gets my vote, as it were. ;D

If you were going to make some animations for regular monsters I would cast my vote for some slime monsters; since there so "animated" so to speak with how veried they can be with there animations; or if possible even something related to st. patricks day with how soon that it around the corner.

• Upvote 1

Slime slime slime.

Some fantastic stories and entries guys! Hope I'll be able to throw mine together before the deadline.

I'm especially interested with your entry, King Zenith. I studied animation in college, so I'm really curious how you made those.

Ok, spent some time today on this and, while I am not done yet, here are some additional ones that will definitely be making the cut (because I have already just about finished them):

1) Regular old blue Slime.  (I personally find Slimes to be a bit odd in 3D since there are not many features so to speak)

--> To alleviate the lack of features, I have him doing some fun little actions

2) Baramos Bomus

--> Looks cool I think, but a bit dark in the palette.  Might need to do regular Baramos just to make him show up better on the dark backdrop that is the Den

3) Hargon

--> We can't be neglecting him either now can we?

4) Mortamor

--> Second form, just as planned

5) Dhoulmagus transformed

--> Significantly more terrifying than his Jester version.  I had to do a bunch of different animations on this one to highlight his freakish transformed body

6) Dancing Devil

--> This one is sure to be a treat for the eyes

7) Protomech

--> I love protomech and feel like he is a often forgotten monster among the mechanical class of baddies

8) Wight Knight

--> In retrospect, I should have done something else because again, the dark palette will surely be a bad choice on a dark backdrop.  Still, watch out for the unexpected fists of fury!

... And I hope to make a few more before time runs out

I'm especially interested with your entry, King Zenith. I studied animation in college, so I'm really curious how you made those.

Hardfunk! So great to see you here again.  All I can really say is that, I'm making these by "standing on the shoulders of giants".  None of these models or textures are my own creation.  I can make them dance and turn them into a fun GIF, but I could never have created the actual textures or models that they are based on.  Those are ripped straight from DQ games, and then assembled and animated using software that other bloody brilliant people have created for chumps like me to pilfer and apply for my own personal use.  All but a single step in this process I have learned from other people here at the Den.

Looking forward to seeing your submission!

And here is my entry...

My Life As A Dragon Warrior

Dragon Quest series have always been a real adventure to me. Because;
Playing DQ3 (GBC) in the college classes without getting caught, it was always quite a dangerous adventure.
Shop by shop, searching for hama beads with my girlfriend to make a heal-slime, it was a tiring adventure.
Making my friends laugh with the jokes from Dragon Quest, it was a very funny adventure.
Learning how to play Tantagel Castle melody with my guitar, definitely was a cool adventure.
Walking in the streets with listening Dragon Quest musics, dreaming about that I am really a Dragon Warrior, it was a crazy adventure.
Saving Money for a Wii, just to play Dragon Quest Swords, it was a tough adventure.
Teaching my girlfriend how to play Rocket Slime on my DS, surely was a romantic adventure.
And after she learns how to play, getting back my DS from her, it was another tough adventure.
But most of all, playing through entire series and realizing that no Dragon Quest games left to play, it was a really sad adventure…

But usually, I prefer to play Dragon Quest games at nights,
Lonelier and quieter it gets, I get sucked more into the Dragon Quest world.
I enter to a whole new world and lost my connection with the real one.
Deep in the night, after those long adventurous hours, I took my heroes to inn to rest them quite a bit.
And when that sweet inn tune plays, i save my game and go to bed too.
Just like real heroes do…
Because, I am a Dragon Warrior…

1239592_10151646630433983_1062068187_n.j

My girlfriend's Amigurumi style Slime work :)

attach_664.jpg

10262219_10152153797253983_3677056490266

Edited by knighTeen87
  • Upvote 1

After almost four years of inactivity (mostly due to the inactivity of the Dragon Quest franchise in the west) I decided to pop back into these forums for a visit. Thought I might as well share my own story/history of Dragon Quest love. :3

Dragon Warrior III was my first Dragon Quest game, and my first RPG experience (for the GBC, which also happened to be my first console), and it amazed me back in the day (must have been around 7-8). I'd get together a terribly conceived party and venture out into the world. Granted I'd never get very far, and I never actually made it off the first continent, but it was the most fun I had when I first got the console.

Later on I also got to playing Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, which unlike Dragon Warrior 3, I actually managed to finish (due to a more forgiving initial difficulty :P). This game and Pokémon Crystal must have been my most played games for the system, and ones that I replayed many times over.

After that I didn't play any games in the franchise for a while. It wasn't until I saw Dragon Quest IV (DS) on a shelf that I remembered the old games, and decided to give the franchise a new look. While IV is definitely not my favourite in the series, it got me reinvested into playing its games, and after that I went on to play all of the subsequent DS releases (Joker, Joker 2, DQ V, DQ 6 DQ 9, Rocket Slime, Wars).

I still have a general preference for the Monsters series over the main one (None of the recent additions are as fun to me as DWM2 was, but Joker 2 was still a great game imo), but I've enjoyed every game from the franchise so far - with Dragon Quest V being my definite favourite overall.

It greatly disappoints me now that the series seems Japan-locked, at least for the foreseeable future. All I know is that Terry's Wonderland, DQ VII, Cobi/Tara's Adventure and Rocket Slime 2 are insta-buys for me assuming they ever make it over here. Heck, if only Square Enix would  support the Virtual Console, I'd probably end up buying all the games again.

I'll close by saying that this drought of DQ has pushed me into buying and replaying some of the earlier GBC titles again. After finally getting a copy of DWIII (GBC) off eBay, I'm having great fun managing to get further than I ever did before. Still looking for a copy of DWI+II (GBC) to play though, so the hunt isn't over yet. :D

Edited by Geon
  • Upvote 1

Well spoken Geon and knighTeen87! :D You know, I'm quite pleased with the fact that dragon warrior began for so many others on the gameboy color, as it did with myself in 1999 with dragon warrior monsters. Enix really did make an adventurous decision in bringing the series back in the west as handhelds, but it's a decision that payed off. Tis' a shame they've since then the game industry has lost it's youthful enthusiasm to take daring chances when deciding what games to create and localize.... square-enix and capcom are perhaps the worst of the lot in that respect. And, knighTeen; lovely healer you've concocted there. Has Ragnar seen it yet? ^_^

Edited by robotnikthedrak

Yes, the excellence of the gameboy color dragon warriors is undeniable in their charm, cozy feel, and fluent functionality. After III had been released, I was dying to finally play IV's gbc port, as it, too, was an nes title. Sadly, it never came to be, though of course, years later, we were treated to the ds installments. Oh the times: the often change. Still, like yourself, Geon, I also still regularly play the gbc installments, as well as the ds installments... as well as the playstation entries. But, you know, I personally only need one version of each installment, so Enix can keep it's 3ds reimaginings away from this humble drak. A brand new installment on the 3ds or psvita, however, would be a must play for I, native language or not. :D

;) @KnighTeen: Man that is an awesome Pearler Bead Healer you got there, did you make that yourself out of curiosity? I've been wanting to get into the art of the Pearler Bead for some time now and making the Slime Monsters was one of those very reasons :D

Well, finally got around to polishing off most of the additions I wanted to make to my submission.  Instead of feathering them back into my original post, I thought I would just put them here if the benevolent robotnikthedrak would allow it.  Of course, if my original submission is final in it's current form (i.e. can't be updated), that's fine too.

Before proceeding, please do remember that these are huge and may take some time to load.  They will speed up once they have fully downloaded.  If you are viewing these on your phone, I hope you have a good data connection.

Ok, decided to take a shot at doing some humans (and a fairy...), so first off, here is that batch:

Alena:

Alena.gif

Bianca:

Bianca.gif

Carver:

Carver.gif

Jessica (good enough to warrant two versions?):

Jessica.gif

Jessica2.gif

Kiryl:

Kiryl.gif

Patty:

Patty.gif

Princess of Moonbrooke:

PrincessMoonbrooke.gif

Stella:

Stella.gif

Torneko:

Torneko.gif

Young Yangus:

YoungYangus.gif

Back to the monsters, I tried to address the requests first (which was for Slime, Baramos, Deathtamoor (Mortamor), Psaro and Estark):

Slime:

Slime.gif

Baramos:

Baramos.gif

Baramos2.gif

Baramos Bomus (I was just going to do this one instead of the regular Baramos, but I think the palette is too dark):

BaramosBomus.gif

Mortamor (Second Form, three versions):

Mortamor.gif

Mortamor2.gif

Mortamor3.gif

Psaro:

Psaro.gif

Estark:

Estark.gif

And to close it off, here are a bunch of others I did just for fun:

Dancing Devil:

DancingDevil.gif

Dhoulmagus Transformed:

DhoulmagusTransformed.gif

DhoulmagusTransformed2.gif

DhoulmagusTransformed3.gif

Hargon:

Hargon.gif

Nokturnus (because the previous one I did of Nokturnus was not bad-ass enough):

Nokturnus2.gif

Zoma (bit of a different take on Zoma from the last one):

Zoma2.gif

Ok, well hopefully those all show up ok.  If that was too many images for one post, I may need to edit and spread this out over a couple posts.  I did Protomech but wasn't happy with how it turned out.  I intend to redo that but haven't gotten to it yet.  There's lot of others I want to do too, but this is not the place and I don't have the time.

Thanks for looking!

• Upvote 1

Dragon quest has a spiceal feeling to it it is that feeling that makes it great 

;) @KnighTeen: Man that is an awesome Pearler Bead Healer you got there, did you make that yourself out of curiosity? I've been wanting to get into the art of the Pearler Bead for some time now and making the Slime Monsters was one of those very reasons :D

thanx man. We boughta box of hama beads from IKEA and my gf made it for me. I have other creations from other video games also, i can show you if you want. It's easier than you think, trust me :)

;) I had heard it was pretty easy to learn, and getting the supplies is fairly cheap too.

Those are some pretty awesome animations, KZ. It does take a while for them to load on my 18Mbit internet, but maybe that's just me  :)

As for the Ultimate giveaway, well, what can I say that isn't already in this official DQ Superfan Entry. Of course, I've gotten a few other DQ stuff since then, and parted with others. I think the most notable thing now though is that Dragon Quest has been a great motivation to keep up with my Japanese studies. When I don't feel like studying, I just start up a Japanese version of a DQ game and it makes things a lot more fun. This is why I didn't think twice in importing Dragon Quest X. I knew it would help out, and sure enough, I was always getting distracted in-game and forgetting to see enemy drops like gold and experience rewards because I was focused on reading the text more than the game itself (bjaxx87 knows what I am talking about  :) ). Basically, Dragon Quest has been an asset to my Japanese studies, and because of it, I am now able to read kana very quickly, although I still have ways to go with Kanji.

With that said, I decided to scan and translate an 8-page manga short based on DQVIII. This was featured in V-Jump's version of the guidebook (known as the DQVIII super guidebook) in 2004 in Japan. While the book itself dates 12/15/04, I am pretty sure this is just an issue date, as the game itself was released by the end of September during that year, so either this was released before the game as part of a preview campaign, during release, or it really was issued in December. 

Keep in mind I am fairly new to translating, given my limited knowledge on the language and culture, but I did my best to keep it as close of an interpretation as possible, while adding a bit of a localization touch. I didn't bother with the narratives though, seemed a bit redundant and the text for this would be a bit annoying and strange to implement in that particular area anyway.

DQ8VCpg1_zpsc2fdb1cd.png

th_DQ8VCpg2_zps7e71714f.png th_DQ8VCpg3_zpsc2f503ef.png th_DQ8VCpg4_zps17d0eec7.png th_DQ8VCpg5_zps12f4d679.png th_DQ8VCpg6_zps162beed7.png th_DQ8VCpg7_zpsc6d5c946.png th_DQ8VCpg8_zps824f74a5.png

My submission is short and sweet. Dragon Quest is a thread through my life. I first played the game when I was laid up with surgery and my parents let me buy one new game to play on bedrest. It was Dragon Warrior I off the shelf and Funcoland and the rest is history. Since then I have been married and have 4 kids and for EVERY birthday party for any of them I wear my "It's Party Slime!" shirt and they all (4yr old and 2 yr olds) know what a Slime is. My wife will even wear the DQ shirt I bought her, though she's never played it. They are the games I always buy... and always keep. I still have a sealed envelope from the Slime Knights days in a drawer in my home. Maybe I'll give it to my daughter on her wedding day. I even have twins like the hero from DQV. :)

Wow, cool.  That's awesome work on translating that manga short Flute_Warrior!

I promise I'll post a longer entry later, but for now I'm posting this in order to enter the giveaway/as a reminder to myself.

So...I can write/do anything i want eh? Welp, heres my entry about getting my first Dragon Warrior game, Dragon warrior monsters with a bit of a twist...and other things thrown in because why not. Enjoy my randomnesss.

It was many years ago when i was first introduced to Dragon Warrrior, as it was called back when I first saw it. I can clearly remember how i first saw it, And this is exactly how it happened

I, of course was sitting on my throne playing a not so popular game at the time that the commoners called "Pokemon" when my squire burst through the doors, needless to say, i was not pleased by his behavior.
"How dare you enter my throne room without permision squire! I can easily have you executed for this!" I yelled at my foolish squire. I have been through many squires because of this very mistake. While it might seem harsh to some, but in the kingdom i hail from in the land of Elmentry school, one needed to be tough to survive.
"But me lord, You must see this! The Ye olde 'Tips and Tricks' scrolls has printed something quite intreging. something that might catch your interest." My foolish page said tossing me the scroll he was talking about.
I eyed him carefully as i slowly went through the scrolls. within a few moments my eyes laid upon what the foolish squire was talking about.
"Dragon warrior monsters?" I said under by breath as i looked over the information that was printed on the scroll. Unfortunatly, very little information about this, dragon warrior monsters, was shown. but,what it did have was pictures of magical bests of different types, or families as the scroll called them. I slowly put down the scroll, "We need to aquire this."

Within a few days, I had enough in my treasury to aquire the game. thoughts about what the game would be like filled my head as my elders prepaired my carriage. Soon we were on the road towards our local bazaar which might just have what i desired. The wait was agonizing, my patience was running out. i needed to have the game within my possession.
Unfortunatly for me, there were dark clouds over the bazaar when we arrived.
"Hello good sir, I am looking for a game. Perhaps you heard of it? It goes by the name 'Dragon Warrior Monsters'." I said to the shop keeper trying to hide my excitment as best i could, with little success.
"Jus' one moment Sir, let me check my wares and i'll see if we have it." The shop keeper went over to a nearby book flipping through it's contents, when he returned his face looked saddened by when he had to share. "I'm sorry Sir, but i'm afraid we dont have any of that here. But perhaps I shall send a messanger pigion around and see if any bazaars around this general area."
I could only nod. I was saddened by the news that the treasure might just be in another castle, as they say, who knows how far I would have to travel for it.

The bird returned within minutes of being sent out bearing good news, there was a copy of what i wanted half an hour away at another bazaar. The light of day was giving way to the night, but thankfully the transaction went through without problems. And soon, we were making our trip back to the castle. For the half an hour trip, i tried my best to play my gameboy by candle light, as back then, gameboys didn't have internal light. It wss hard to see, but i was able to get the gist of what was happening.
My face was glued to the screen when we arrived back at the castle. I spent many hours playing the game, I was hooked on the Dragon Warrior series from then on.

To this day Dragon Quest still inspires me in the things I make. weither it be Perler bead creations, to battle systems in programs that i make. Even my girlfriend knwows how much love I have for the seires that she gave me a Sofubi Abel figure for christmas, as well as a TnT themed cake for my birthday. And as I am writing this, I am doing my 5th playthrough of Dragon Warrior 7, the game that introduced me to the main series. And i'm sure, that I will continue to love Dragon Quest for many, many more years.

Perler bead creations:

2n6530x.jpg

My growing Psaro collection

10p0yev.jpg

TnT cake

8yi3wg.jpg

Aaand a random pic someone took of me cosplaying as Abel

20tosx0.jpg

And lastly, my youtube video about the DW7 Debug room :D

Hope you enjoyed my entry :D