This is it! The Ultimate Dragon's Den Giveaway! :D

I haven't all the prizes, yet, but let it commence now! :D Quest fans, you've from now until when the contest is declared closed upon April the 4th, 2014, to submit ANYTHING dragon quest to this topic, and you shall be entered into this contest of a lifetime. The minimum requirement is one paragraph, at least 4 sentences, of something dragon quest related: a story, your love of dragon quest, your ideas for a dragon quest adventure, etc, etc, etc. No need for Emerson or Thoreau here. There is NO limit, however, to your maximum submission. A full fan fiction, short story, dragon quest concepts, artwork, monster/character/boss designs, musical pieces, quilts, pottery, humor, poems, videos, film, dragon quest community service.... ANYTHING! ^_^ The winners... will be chosen through a rather mysterious, unknown process, which at the moment, is unimportant. So what, you ask, is the purpose behind choosing your own submission, and putting what could be untold amounts of effort into this venture? Well, the answer is simple: every single submission, no matter the medium, will be incorporated into the Dragon Den's Movie, which is a top secret project that I am working on ala youtube. Full credit to every idea used will go to each submitter, as you witness your thoughts and creations come to life! This movie, will display for all who witness it, the wonderous facets of the dragon den's inhabbitants. Nothing fancy, mind- just the usual sound and pictures. SO.... it begins now. Post when ready- you have a month to do so. Post, and the chance of victory is bestowed upon you. Create, tell, and make possible, so that all shall know what the Dragon's Den is truly capable of!!! Good luck, brave ones! ^_^

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, time for my submission.  First of all, the background story followed by my actual submission which is the product of my PASSION and GUSTO for this game.   Like so many others, I encountered Drag

Thanks!  In hindsight I made them way too big.  I really should go through and shrink those suckers down so they can be put to better use.  I just really wanted to see them huge in order to show off t

I haven't all the prizes, yet, but let it commence now! Quest fans, you've from now until when the contest is declared closed upon April the 4th, 2014, to submit ANYTHING dragon quest to this topic,

Limit one submission per den member, offer not valid in the underworld. :D Only post here your submission when ready (or a link to it, if necessary), and relay any questions that you may have via the topic I started located in the Wants and Wishes section of the den. Don't forget that opinions and criticisms are valid entrys as well. ^_^

I don't know what I can create or talk about other than some things that I've mentioned before:

Dragon Quest was one of the 2 most influential things in my life that happened off a stray action or without any sort of plan:

1. I had a high school English teacher mention that I should write for the newspaper one day when I passed him at lunch (he claims to never remember this) and 2 years later I did and was running the joint within 6 months.  Continued on with it in college for a few years and I can thank that old teacher and newspaper/writing for dragging me out of being a boring old math junkie only.  It directly led to my fondest memories in high school and college, the best friends I have, and it made me more of a social person than just a mathy-nerdy introvert.

2. My grandmother signed me up for Nintendo Power and gave me Dragon Quest as the free gift!  I was never big into games when I was in elementary school, but Dragon Quest lit a fire in me that is still burning strong to this day.  If you look at all the games in my signature, you'll see most all of them come directly from Dragon Quest. From something as simple as "if you like Dragon Quest, try Final Fantasy" to me trying other games developed by people who'd worked on Dragon Quest, or even other RPGs that I picked up simply because I like the genre because of Dragon Quest... they all go back to that.  And it's not that video games are my whole life whatsoever, but they're my fun.  They're sometimes the reason I like to get up early before the wife and kid, why I look forward to a weekend day with no other plans.  They're why I post here and have met all of you.  The thing is, every time I play an RPG or Dragon Quest specifically, every time I post here, every time I think a DQ thought, thoughts of my grandmother (who passed away 20 years now) go through my head.  And that's the best gift that DQ can give me, after she gave me the gift of DQ.

I'll add some other things to this in a bit, but wanted to get that all down!

• Upvote 1

Plattym3 is our first contestant with some fine memories of dragon questdom. ^_^ I'd like to mention, also, that gameplay videos, tough boss battles, or let's play parodies are also being accepted.

Dragon Quest started for me not with the NES, but with the Game Boy Color.

I remember back in the day getting my shiny yellow Pokemon Game Boy Color, a Super Game Boy, and a box of games from my mema one christmas. Zelda! Wee! Pokemon Yellow! Wee! Crystal! Wee! What's this though? Dragon Warrior? O_o WTF is this.

So I popped it in. DW1 and 2 I never really finished. I played 3 after beating Pokemon Yellow and Crystal, and boy... I think it was the first JRPG I had played in a long time, since Earthbound. I remember not getting that far in it, but I kept it. It went with me on trips (( I beat Kandar the first time on I75 going to Kentucky )), went with me to school (( Killed Orochi after a math test )), and so on. But it got shelved for a few years, when other systems and other games came along.

Then I got a NES and a box-a games from a garage sale, DW1-4 was in the box. I never played 'em, but it made me pull out my gameboy games and guides (( I had the DW3 guide, of course )). One thing that got me (( I had played DW1 and 2, and DWM2 by then )), was the music. DW1 was short, and had no boss music. Neither did 2. 3 didn't either, until one glorious moment...

In my room, I finally heard it. One of my favorite tracks of all time.

http://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/graphics/dq3gbc/mp3/33%20Dragon%20Quest%203%20-%20Gruelling%20Fight.mp3

Baramos died fairly quickly, I might add. I had did a super-class change by grinding a good bit, by the time I got to Alefgard I had already had at least one character through Mage, Priest, a bit of Warrior, than Sage. Oh, he was my awesome one.

Today, as my submission, I submit a remix of this song, tuned to a video I recorded of beating on Zoma with a giant fish.

Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

;) My first encounter with Dragon Warrior was back in the summer 1992, my older brother and a friend of his rented Dragon Warrior III from our local video rental store, one of the things I liked to do as a kid was watch my brother play through games and probably the biggest thing that stood out for me was the monsters, in particular the Slime enemies. Later on, my brother borrowed a copy of the original Dragon Warrior game from another friend of his, this was the game I played as well as a young child having beat it a couple of times when I was 8 years old, I too then started renting Dragon Warrior III as I viewed that as my favorite of the NES games, unlike my brother I didn't get to terribly far in it ^^; Unfortunately however I didn't have a chance to play Dragon Warrior II or IV on the NES until I grew into an adult and emulated the games on my old computer, in fact, I wouldn't play another Dragon Warrior title until the games were ported to the Gameboy Color, needless to say I was hyped up to play them (thus finally playing Dragon Warrior II for the first time :laugh: ).

img55267286.jpg?_ex=128x128

As I mentioned before, probably the biggest thing that stood out for me during my youthful exposure to Dragon Warrior would go to the various monsters designed by Akira Toriyama, again the most imprinting upon me being the lovable looking Slime enemy. As a result I became a fan of RPGs in general but I will never forget how Dragon Warrior I and III forever changed my life, which of course brought me here to the Dragon's Den where I met and became friends with many awesome folks who post here and share my enjoyment of Dragon Quest :)

Edited by Slime Master
  • Upvote 1

A history of my fandom of Dragon Quest.

Well, basically, it all began when I was reading an issue of Nintendo Power at lunch in 2007. When I turned to the DQMJ page, I liked the slime knight, mainly due to how cool it looked, and was hoping to get it for Christmas, but I never did, and forgot about it. Then I saw it again at a Half Price Books store in October 2010. Eventually, I bought it several visits later, and while I was crap with the Wi-Fi, I did enjoy the game nevertheless.

Then, in February 2011, I bought Dragon Quest IX after seeing one of my friends play it. Good RPG to pass the time for Pokemon Black, but I didn't finish it until July 2011. On my first playthrough, my part was based off characters from the Belgian series Kabouter Plop, whose music I had a minor obsession with at the time. In my current playthrough, my hero's based off a British poet named Michael Rosen, and planning to remake my team of a few other YouTube users.

Bought Rocket Slime shortly hereafter and had fun with the tank battles. Oftentimes, the enemies would often wipe my tank to 0HP, but ultimately, with the help of my allies, I reduced their tanks' HP to 0 and beat them.

After that, I didn't have the time to find another game. Then, late in October of that year, I bought a Japanese guidebook for the PS2 version of Dragon Quest V. Then, one day later, by some coincidence, I actually bought the DS version in a GameStop. Initially played it to the end of the childhood saga and took a break from it, but a few weeks later, I picked it back up and eventually beat it on December 16th of that year.

Not long after, more than a week later, I bought DQMJ2, and as I can recall, made me obsessed with the series from here on out, to the point of joining this forum.

In 2012, I bought Dragon Warrior III (GBC) in June of that year and got Dragon Quest VI (DS) for that Christmas, but I never bothered to finish them. In August of that year, I played DWM2: Tara's Adventure on an emulator, and eventually completed it later that month with Nimzo, a wight king, and a fodder giant worm.

Now, I've bought Dragon Warrior Monsters (GBC) in June of last year (which is to say, nine months ago), and occasionally playing it whenever I feel like it, but potentially, this game might rejuvenate my obsession if I play it long and hard enough.

And that's the history of my fandom for you. I'm still a fan of it, just not as big as in '11 and '12, and I hope I can be one forever.

Oh! I forgot something:

GDS-4865C.jpg

This is the first Dragon Quest monster I liked, and so I have a soft spot for the little bugger. Hoping you ordered a slime knight plushie so I can claim it as my own!

Edited by Chanticleer Hegemony
  • Upvote 1

This is the perfect type of contest that I want to participate. I will add my own entry in 1-2 weeks. Good luck to everyone but DQ7 soundtrack will be mine :D

Edited by knighTeen87

This is the perfect type of contest that I want to participate. I will add my own entry in 1-2 weeks. Good luck to everyone but DQ7 soundtrack will be mine :D

objection.jpg

I'm sorry but with my entry, it will surly be mine. :P

Honestly, i'm a bit surprised by the interest in the sound track lol. I kinda want it because it was the first main DQ game i really got into

objection.jpg

Honestly, i'm a bit surprised by the interest in the sound track lol. I kinda want it because it was the first main DQ game i really got into

I'm not all that surprised. A lot of people here consider DQ VII their favorite. Plus, OSTs are expensive and hard to come by and someone is offering one up for free.

I'm not all that surprised. A lot of people here consider DQ VII their favorite. Plus, OSTs are expensive and hard to come by and someone is offering one up for free.

Fair enough

TBH, if I win the OST and he offers it to me, I'm going to ask him if someone else can have it and if a different prize can be chosen for me.

I don't like CDs and such, can't handle them without ruining them.

I'd actually like to win that copy of DWM2, I'd go on eBay and grab a GBA SP for that game. 

Edited by Ryu

My, my- such awesome power reverberates within the confines of this topic! All the magic of true dragon quest memories and adorations... it's just amazing! :D Ryu; your tale is one to which I can relate, for I, too, became a fan of dragon warrior during the gbc era, and Zoma... zoma, zoma, zoma! The only demon lord that I actually admire! The battle with him is poetry in motion; a true epic finale! ^_^ He had it all- a world conquered, decadence and style, and for a fighting chance, most have to steal away most of his power! And his remarks were stunningly endearing, especially when directed towards the female hero! ;) Well played, I say!

Slime Master, you've touched upon an incrdibly important topic- what sets dragon quest apart from it's closest competitors is most certainly Akira Toriyama's magnificent designs and characters... and although I prize his female characters and demon lords above all else, if not for his unbelievable monster designs, I'd have never even picked up dwm... my first dragon quest. Well done! ^_^

Hedgemony; you've quite a story to tell! :) You hail from a newer generation of quest fans, yet you're every bit th tried and true fan as us old soldier types! You've come a long way, and now you currently play dragon warrior monsters, the most important entry ino the series for this humble drak... perhaps you might achieve what I never could, and defeat that blasted Master Tamer! :D God speed, heroes!

Righto, then- votes up for each of ye'. Hmm.... at this rate... I may require more prizes... ;)

Ok, time for my submission.  First of all, the background story followed by my actual submission which is the product of my PASSION and GUSTO for this game.

Like so many others, I encountered Dragon Quest at a young age when I received DW1 free with Nintendo Power.  It was lame and terrible compared to my awesome Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt dual cartridge!  Now that was entertainment!  Still, I had the game and after eventually tiring of chasing Goomba's and Koopa's, and throwing my zapper gun at that damned dog, I decided to give it another chance.  I plugged it in and started to familiarize myself with the world, the language, the mechanics and the monsters.  Shortly after digging into it, my family took a car trip and I brought along the manual and a guide book so I could stay in touch with this new-found love.  By the time I got home, I was practically itching with excitement to go play the rest of this wonderful game.

I ended up getting DW2, DW3 and DW4 for subsequent birthdays / Christmases and loved each game more than the last.  After we didn't get DQ5 and DQ6, I lost touch with the series, only to be reunited much later in life (in 2006, shortly after getting married).  I was browsing the TASVideos website and saw numerous impossible runs of DW1 - 4 on the NES.  This introduced me to emulation, which then led me to discover that Dragon Quest, my lost love, had carried on in my absence.  Discovering that Dragon Quest 5 and 6 had been translated and that I could play them on my computer was like winning the lottery.  Dragon Quest 5 was so amazing and I will never forget the feeling of playing through it that first time.  It felt so much like the Dragon Quest that I remembered... only better! 

With those games polished off, I found that Dragon Warrior 7 actually had been released in the West.  After finding and starting to play it, I quickly discovered that I was not smart enough (patient enough?) to play through this game without just a little bit of help ;).  Voila! King Zenith discovers the Dragon's Den in 2008 and, after adopting a moniker and avatar that harkens from his most recently played Dragon Quest game, he finds this amazing community; A jewel hidden in the tangled bowels of the world wide web.  This led to an explosion of Dragon Quest in my life, and set me off down a path to find and play every version of every Dragon Quest game that had ever reached our shores (and many that didn't).  That experience continues to this day.

The latest chapter in my Dragon Quest adventures has found me imparting my love of this game to my kids (of which I now have 3).  My first born is now 6 years old and his obsession with the series is reaching a fever pitch.  After getting a 3DS for christmas, he has since polished off Dragon Quest 4 and Dragon Quest 5.  He is now starting out in Dragon Quest 9 and I couldn't be prouder.  My daughter is nearly 5 and she loves the monsters and characters.  She likes to dress up and pretend that she is the one of the heroes from her elder brother's adventures (which he talks about to her relentlessly).  It is not uncommon for me to come home from work and find Alena and Ragnar in my house fending off imaginary baddies while their Great Sabrecub (my 18 month old son) follows them around.  Yeah, I know... that story doesn't make sense in a canonical Dragon Quest way... but it still brings a tear to my eye.

TL;DR

Anyway, now that you know the whole story, my submission is to bring you some eye candy in the form of some animated GIFs I made especially for this contest.  They are huge (and also very scary if they were to escape), so I trapped them inside some spoilers.  Give them a minute to load fully before they will play at full speed. 

Without further ado, here are some of your favorite Dragon Quest monsters like you have never seen them before!

Dracky:

Dracky.gif

Jailcat:

Jailcat.gif

Gigantes:

Gigantes.gif

Golem:

Golem.gif

Dragon:

GreenDragon.gif

Killing Machine:

KillingMachine.gif

Schleimann Tank:

SchleimannTank.gif

Platinum King Jewel:

PKJ.gif

Bjorn:

Bjorn.gif

Bishop Ladja:

BishopLadja.gif

Ruin:

Ruin.gif

Nokturnus:

Nokturnus.gif

Corvus:

Corvus.gif

Malroth:

Malroth.gif

Murdaw:

Murdaw.gif

Nimzo:

Nimzo.gif

Zoma:

Zoma.gif

Dhoulmagus:

Dhoulmagus.gif

Orgodemir:

Orgodemir.gif

• Upvote 3

King Zenith, those are great!

Wow King Zenith, those are amazing!  I love Bishop Ladja, and Malroth.

Extra bonus happy you called him Malroth, not Sidoh :)

Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.  The Dhoulmagus one makes me think of Dwaine's favorite GIF of the toddler pageant girl. chichi, I wasn't really a fan of the move from Malroth to Sidoh, although I did like how it gave rise to Genosidoh in DWM2.

Anyway, glad you guys liked these.  I might have to do some more later just for fun.

Well, King Zenith just won with that Orgodemir GIF.

KZ, I didn't realize I've been a member longer than you. Not by very long, of course, and I wasn't very active until about 2 (maybe 3) years ago, but I joined in December 2007.

I thought you might like that one.  I definitely jumped on the chance to make one of Orgodemir's less-familiar forms.  Everyone knows him as the huge grotesque monstrosity that we see in the Monsters games, but his initial forms are all pretty cool too.

Yeah, I am newer than a lot of our illustrious members.  It was October in 2008 when I finally took the plunge, though I did lurk for quite a while before making my first post.  Actually, the very first post I ever made was responded to in a bit of a snippy fashion by someone who was a very regular and respected poster at the time.  I almost reconsidered immediately, but thankfully stuck it out.

Well, here is my history of DQ. When the game was first released, I rented it from a local store and immediately fell in love with the style of game. It was one of the first games that I rented from this particular store (which I will mention in a little while) that after the 3 day rental was over, I wasnt finished with and that was something that really appealed to me : A game that would keep me entertained longer than a weekend. So I sought out to buy it. I was 12 or 13 years old at the time it was released and was a punk kid of sorts. I saved up my money but I was hanging out with some other punk kid and we decided to throw rocks at a car. Well, needless to say the guy caught us and we had to pay for his car ... DW was a lost cause for me after that. Then Nintendo Power runs the well known free DW game with subscription. I was ecstatic and convinced my parents to let me get a subscription and so my first owned DW game was in my possession. I had gotten away from the first mentioned friend and moved on to one who was more my age and my game equivilent. We played that game for hours (sadly, I have no idea where this guy moved after I joined the military and the only memories I have of hanging out with him involve DW1) and eventually with the help of all the stuff supplied with Nintendo Power, we beat the game.

Later in life when I was old enough to work, that local game store was still around and I was still renting games and beating them over the weekend. The owner was so impressed that he hired me to be the game person for the store and to even answer the phone for questions on how to solve games sort of like a Nintendo play counselor. It was an amazing job and that is when I learned of all the sequels on the NES. I ended up working there long enough to buy 2/3/4 and Battle of Olympus and for a while I was a happy camper.

Many years later, after a stint in the Navy and other changes in my life, I ended up playing a life leeching game called Everquest. I started in May of 1999 and quit June 1 of 2010. In that time, I did try to quit a few times. One of those times I bought DQ VII and it definitely pulled me away from EQ for a little while. It was the single best console game I had ever experienced up to that point. Eventually I ended up meeting a girl who later became my wife. Her first gift to me was DQVIII and the slime controller. I knew at that moment she would be someone I would spend a lot of my time with.

All those DQ/DW memories in my head are what I think about when gaming is mentioned. I decided to see if I could get the entire series. So in 2012 my (Dragon) quest began. I still had my gift from my wife and my DW VII from trying to quit EQ. All other items were gone from either my mom throwing away all my games to get me to quit when I joined the Navy or other horrible times in my life. Here is the result of that quest :

20140122_100526_zpsaab44542.jpg20140122_100502_zpsf843712d.jpg20140122_100452_zps51ee40d5.jpg20140122_100442_zpsa09809a2.jpg645136c3-f9e3-4ee0-aa52-4b6b44315d46_zps20140122_100908_zps095ef601.jpgPICT1686_zps02c715b4.jpg

Edited by Soera
  • Upvote 1

..... Zoma..... a zoma moving thingy.... incredible ........but no Baramos?! You were THAT close to perfection! ;D But in all seriousness King Zenith, very well done. ^_^ Gema looks positively wicked... and I've never before even seen a photo of Corvus in such high quality resolution before... so, anyway: you raise several good points; firstly, I've always believed that if Orgodemir had began resembling his third form, and then proceeded straight to his fourth form (in other words, excluding his initial two forms, which are rather lackluster design-wise), he would've been vastly more monsterous, as well as more visually fascinating. Also, I can relate to first stumbling onto the dragon's den while'st feverishly searching for dragon quest information. Woodus's network of facts, strategies, and resources is impeccable in it's qualitative AND quantitative aspects. Eventually though, one partakes of the urge to at long last join it's ranks to better improve it still, for we all have something to offer to the dragon's den empire... which is what this contest is all about! :) Now then: Baramos and Deathmoor.... thou shalt not exclude them! :D

For that matter, Esterk and Pizarro would be smashing as well. SO, CHICHI- didn't his lordship Zenith do well on SIDOH? Yes, and on MIRUDRAAS as well, I say! ;)