Sign in to follow this  
marthsk

Dragon Warrior 3 "Hardtype" for NES

Just wondering if you guys heard about this rom hack.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/4639-dragon-warrior-3-hardtype/

If it's harder than 2, then it'll be frustrating, to say the least... Well I'm going to find out myself! :D

EDIT: Ah, damnit, I thought I was in the general forums. If a mod could move this around, it would be grand. Thanks! :D

Edited by Miles Edgeworth

;) Dragon Warrior III Hard Type? What did they do, Double the enemy's over all power? If that's the case then OH GOD Baramos will be a nightmare, a nightmare of MALROTH proportions.

I believe they've made the end-game much harder, but they've also balanced the efficiency of some spells, making them useless. They've also turned Thor's Sword into a sage-only staff, and they've broadened the range of equipment certain classes can equip.

So they've properly balanced it in mid-game, but made it quite unforgiving at end-game.

Edit: just tried a new game, went out solo with starting gear, and I got MURDERED straight up by Slimes and a Black Raven, with them dealing 3 damage shots. That is a LOT considering you usually get hit for either 1 or nothing by those. The starting enemies are dealing Giant Anteater / Horned Rabbit damage right off the bat. So yeah, it is hard right from the start.

Edited by Miles Edgeworth

nope, don't like hardtypes. They're hard for everyone but the maker.

;) ^ As someone who dabbles in game design them self this line is pretty accurate. Back to the topic at hand, I doubt I will play this hack one, I'm not a fan of Insultingly Hard Games and two, I have some really good memories of Dragon Warrior III, I would not want to soil them by playing this.

I have yet to play a truly balanced hardtype. They are typically poorly coded, especially in the case of a lot of SNES hards. There is one FFMQ that literially makes it impossible to play without cheating.

;) @Ryu: O_o Are you freaking KIDDING ME?!?! They made a Hard Type MYSTIC QUEST?!?!

Edited by Slime Master

Yes. I maxxed the hero out and still had trouble in the Bone Dungeon because the hack maker took out healing items and spells.

GBA Torneko plz.

@Ryu: That's just down right horrible game design right there, ANY RPG needs to have some Healing Items and some form of Healing and Attack Magic. Otherwise you might as well make a Platformer or an Action Game.

I made a topic on it, even,

;) I must have missed it then, unless you made the topic on another forum.

No, it was here.

;) Yeah, I must have missed the thread then since you more than likely posted it during my time away ^^;