Sign in to follow this  
Kawaii_koneko

nintendo is shutting off wifi services

DQ 9 and joker 2 will no longer have wifi services other games are effected as well but just a heads up the details can be found on www.nintendo.com

oh also fortune street will have it turned off didn't look at it at first ^^

Edited by kawaii_koneko
  • Upvote 1

Numen sliming damn it. Now who's gonna trade 'mons from around the world and get exclusive content? Through Action Replay? Then again, the systems seem to be dying, and for better or for worse, every service has to be put down eventually.

(Though hopefully they're setting up international servers for Terry's Wonderland 3D. We've waited long enough, Ninty/SE. Now show there's still interest in the franchise to keep localizing despite the horrendous sales of DQMJ2.)

Edited by Chanticleer Hegemony
  • Upvote 1

So my chance to get all the DQIX online stuff just died...... I started visiting the DQVC store 2 weeks ago and didn't get a single exclusive item yet. At least I have all the guests and DLC missions.

How about IV, V, VI, Joker and Joker 2? Is there anything I should try to get within the next 3 months? I mean, something that's really worth it?

I'm glad I managed to get all interesting event Pokémon for Pokémon White a few months ago and played at least a little of Mario Kart online. Now I wonder if there are any other games with Wi-Fi-exclusive items... e.g. what's the Wi-Fi functionality of the Zelda games?

May 20... I felt under pressure before, because I KNEW it would happen soon, but this is really bad. Guess I can dispose my Wi-Fi USB Connector then. :/

Well, I suppose I don't have to worry about making a new campaign to push Square-Enix to support their own games.  This is something no one can fix.  Not unless someone can offer to run the service themselves.

Now what we really should get is a release of all the Wi-fi server code for every one of these games so gamers can make their own servers to run if they wish to continue playing with online features.  It's also one reason why I despise online functionality in a mainly offline game.

However, now the methods are as follows:

1) AR.  Right now most of the existing codes for several "online-only" features, mostly the DLC quests, are buggy and poorly done as they unlock unused data blocks initially planned for quests, and this can lead to some bugs.  Only the DQVC exclusive lists, by either overwriting shops or overwriting the DQVC list are new.  The inn codes are "semi-old" and have some bugs, but there are newer versions, though apparently even those need a little work to clean it up.

2) A second cart and an NDS Adapter Plus.  Perhaps the single greatest thing ever created to supplement the DS is the NDS Adapter Plus, as it allows overwriting the save files.  Thus allowing for infinite DS9 saves.  With this just upload one of MelonGx's saved games with inn Guests, DLC quests, and one of the many DQVC exclusive lists, then "multiplay" with your main cart to access all this.  Inn guests will be unlocked, as will the quests, and while the Inn won't be filled up you can use multiple saves to "unlock" the inn through tagging.  Plus one can purchase the DQVC items off the host-game's list.

3) Setting up an emulator to allow Wifi Connection with the DS, then doing everything stated in #2.

4) Someone figures out how to build a server to run all DLC content off of.

5) Meet up with people who have the game, or multiple games, and along with them, multiple saves with various special things like different DQVC item lists.  Multiplay to access/unlock and purchase DQVC exclusives.

6) I forgot one, but effectively it's the safest way to do this solo and the cheapest.  Buy an NDS Adapter Plus to rip and reupload saves to the game, take the ripped save, download the translated save-state hacker from yab's site, and alter whatever you wish.  Ultimately this is the best method since it avoids any and all bugs, and doesn't require people to travel or buy an extra DS and gamecart, or feel skeevy about emulation for those who don't like it, nor worry about an AR for those who hate "cheats" and worry about possible bugs.

So it's doable.  It will just be more complicated, and it sucks, but nothing is entirely out of reach.

Edited by ignasia7

I have a device called "NDS Adaptor", it does exactly the same thing the "NDS Adapter Plus" seems to do.

Great, I didn't know there's such a huge collection of save files on the Den! Are there save files for all exclusive DQVC items? Because, if I understand it correctly, every save file just contains the DQVC inventory of the week it was saved in. So it wouldn't be enough to just tag with one 100% save file.

I do wish they'd open these up to independent hosting, but they won't, so...  

It was a good run.  I never did DQVC spam my way through all the rare items...  oh well.

;) Looks like I'm gonna miss out on the rest of DQ IX's post game content, It's like EA shutting down their servers for games all over again.

This is why I advocate emulation and PAR usage. :P

;) Dunno how that's gonna work with a DS title being used on a 2DS :laugh:

Hmm... doesn't the most current PAR work on all systems? O_o

;) I wouldn't know since I never really used Action Replay on a Handheld Console.