Sign in to follow this  
Slimeknight

Nintendolife lists Dragon Quest X as having 2014 US release

The thing I've always found interesting about a game is, are the complaints made by people who have actually played the game?  Or by people who THINK they know what it will play like, and are so convinced by one or few minor details that they assume they won't ever like, and thus feel a need to trash it because they believe it will be a terrible experience, or it forces them to accept something just a step too far in the realm of "different" and "new" for them to accept?

The former. DQX has had a bit of a slow start in Japan but it was recently rated #1 for customer satisfaction in a recent poll. 

To add to this, an article today finally puts one of the pieces of firepower the blind haters kept constantly using:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/139/G013991/20140307079/

To sum it up for those who cannot read it...

-Daily Active Logins-

DQX: 300,000

FFXIV (World Wide): 500,000

300,000 a day doesn't sound like an MMO that is a massive flop.

One thing that gets me...

Why do so many folk here simply expect the game to be without any kind of fee when it comes here? FFXIV has a fee, and it's coming or is on consoles ( PS3/4 ). This isn't some half-assed MMO-wanna be like Monster Hunter 29billion with a small online footprint, this is a full-out MMORPG, with a staff and infrastructure to support.

The people who want it "Free" strike me as people who haven't really tried to play a free to play / freemium MMORPG. They're horrible. :| Try playing Ragnarok Online 2, Rift, KOTOR, LOTRO, or even Star Trek. 

While P2P MMORPGs are dying (( Hell, even WoW is looking still into F2P possibilities )), it doesn't mean that if we get a game that's built from the ground up to have a paywall, that it isn't mean it's going to not have a fee. 

When or if we get DQX, it will have a modest subscription fee. It will likely tank off, because there isn't a high Wii U install base, and a lot of PC folk, if they pay for a MMO? It's FFXIV or WoW. They'll be disinterested, and it won't float off.

In short? DQX will start with a fee, taper off to F2P like so many other MMOs, and die off in six months due to poor care by SE because of our secondary market status. IF we get it.

Well, im just gonna wait and see what E3 brings us, meanwhile Im gonna look into a good self learning program on how to read and write Japanese.  I dont care for speaking it, I just wanna learn how to actually read it, since it will be a bonus skill to have for the work im going to school for.

Edit: As for what Ignasia said, I loved DQX without even having to play it. Why? Because from watching Saigans videos, the game had alot in common with old school FFXI Online. 

Sighs, maybe I should get a rosetta stone for Japanese.

Edited by Alexandrious

Ryu, you actually played RO2.  Oh I feel for ya man.  I really really feel for you.  I've been an RO fan for a long long time now (will remain one forever, though in many respects its best years are long behind), but RO2...oh dear.  I'm glad the Korean servers are closing, that game is horrid.

Not that FTP models can't work, nor can work well, but ya, the quality and completeness of a P2P model offers a lot more.  Sure you may not spend much in FTP up front, until you get into it, then even in the games where it's not Pay to Win, it's still, do you want to spend $100 a week for roughly 2-3 hours a day of play that lends you 500k experience and a 1% chance at a super rare item, or pay $0 and in that same time get maybe 100k experience, have more downtime between runs, and have anywhere from a 0.5 to 0.0125% chance for that/those same rare items?  When it comes down to it, sure it's nice you can play a game free, but what if your friends are way ahead of you because they spend their real money?

The sad part is $100 a week is pretty standard for most people I know who actually want to get ahead in any FPT model, even if the items only add slight elements of bonus that just speed things up.  Pay to win I've seen people drop 200 easy in a single day.  Yes, a single day.  Then go on to complain about the costs of P2P servers, simply because they don't have to drop 200, but then they can rarely handle a day without their cash-shop goodies.  It gets addicting, and conversely quite depressing when playing without the bonuses, however small, of FTP microtransaction items, typically called cash-shop.

Not that this has been a big issue, but I thought I'd throw this out there.  I don't dislike either, there are pluses and minuses, but I'd personally prefer to P2P model over the FTP model.  It also typically means a more stringent security team.  FTP companies typically care little about security and the GM teams are usually that much more rude and less willing to help in my experience.  Then again, experience is experience.  Two men can enter the same restaurant and come out with entirely different experiences...

Well, im just gonna wait and see what E3 brings us, meanwhile Im gonna look into a good self learning program on how to read and write Japanese.  I dont care for speaking it, I just wanna learn how to actually read it, since it will be a bonus skill to have for the work im going to school for.

Edit: As for what Ignasia said, I loved DQX without even having to play it. Why? Because from watching Saigans videos, the game had alot in common with old school FFXI Online. 

Sighs, maybe I should get a rosetta stone for Japanese.

I have to admit, while I'm not always on the same page with Saigan in terms of his game choices, he's got a great dynamic, and while I don't often watch his videos, it is a pleasure to do so.

Ya, me too Alexandrious, me too.  I already knew I'd like it after watching people play and comparing it to my own experiences, etc. yada...bleh, lol.  That and while he hasn't posted in awhile, Tiael's a huge fan and we tend to share commonalities in gaming habits.

Ryu, you actually played RO2.  Oh I feel for ya man.  I really really feel for you.  I've been an RO fan for a long long time now (will remain one forever, though in many respects its best years are long behind), but RO2...oh dear.  I'm glad the Korean servers are closing, that game is horrid.

I just wanted to mention... I played RO2 and actually enjoyed the game itself. My biggest problem was the incompetent staff breaking promises and trust, desperately trying to sweep it all under the rug instead of trying to fix things.

RO 2 wasn't... bad, it just felt totally unpolished to me. I dropped $50 on it's shop too, so.

If DQX comes here, I want it to do well, and by that definition, doing well, means it has to have a fee? Than so be it. I'd rather pay $10 a month than $5 every week to keep up with my neighbor.

Does your neighbor play DQ? I can't seem to find anybody else in my town that plays DQ.

Do not be literal here. Ignasia has my back on the point at least...