Sign in to follow this  
Slimeknight

Nintendolife lists Dragon Quest X as having 2014 US release

I want to believe it so much, but I don't want to get my hopes up. :X

Some game news sites think that the trademarked names for the mobile ports are for X and VII.

Jeez this again.

Tons and tons and tons of sites do this. Nintendolife just put 2014 as pure speculation with no sources to back this up. It is called a "place-holder date". Amazon, GameStop, IGN, GameSpot, 1UP, all gaming sites do this. Nintendolife hasn't put up any articles saying "Oh it's coming out in 2014!".

Edit: Not saying it won't come. I'm sure X will come eventually. But when was the last time Nintendolife was given special intel on anything relevant? Only the big, big sites ever get anything like that.

Edited by Mr. RPG
  • Upvote 1

It could be insider info. I'm skeptical too but you'd be surprised how much info these smaller, more focused websites manage to get ahead of time from employees that apparently don't care enough about their job to keep their mouths shut.

It could be insider info.

It lists DQX as "announced". It has not been announced.
Touché, good sir.

RPG is right. This is either a deliberate troll by Nintendolife, or someone there $#!&ed up.

I trolled through a few news sites and whatnot. DQX has -not- been announced for US release, as of yet. :|

Could be insider info misinterpereted. Still, don't get your hopes up.

Then they should have used their insider voice.

• Upvote 1

Wow. I can't believe you just made that joke.

Awesome

RPG's right, but hey, on the bright side it does help PUSH for certain games by getting some public attention.  Even if said attention is only amongst the existing communities who are hardcore fans of said games.

So sure, it's a jump on the gun, no announcement, perhaps there is some insider, or maybe they're not trolling fans, but are trolling SE...

I tweeted them for clarification.

Good call :)

Chances are, there's nothing to see here.

:) I second this post, I mean more DQ in the US would be awesome however, the fact that it's an MMO and even though plenty of people do play them, not many people I know both offline and online play them. I'd honestly be shocked if this were true since I didn't think MMODQ er DQ X would be that hot an item among all the American Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts/Elder Scrolls fans.

Most MMO's have a subscription base around 10,000.  It all depends on what they think will be sufficient to run the servers, keep things going, and make a reasonable profit.

There are a TON of MMO's in this country and my own experience is most of my FPS friends also play MMO's, since it's like downtime.  You get to relax more and conversate more, while focusing on collecting stuff to get more powerful.  There are even a large number of US players who play foreign MMO's, much like we have a decent number of US players here (along with Americans in general, Europeans, Middle Easterners, etc.) who play DQX.  Even a few people here play PSO2, another game only on Japanese servers.

Heck, last time I had a PC I was playing three MMO's.  I did not play that often, but I did play.

There's always an audience, and that producer interview was clear that SE was going to release in a major foreign market, and China would not be it, especially given the implication was a market FF11 and 14 are already part of.  Then there was the obvious DQ+FF MMO quests, where on the US FF MMO sites and in the game it's clearly labeled as from Dragon Quest X, something you don't do unless there are plans to release.  Japan did not need to release that quest on this side of the pacific.

It might not be priority numero uno, we might not see or hear anything for awhile, but I can guarantee, and I feel it in my bones: DQX will come to US shores at some point.  I don't think for a second they realize there's enough market here given the lack of MMO's that cater to "families" or "kids" or to anyone who wants "dragonball in an MMO", given the actual DB MMO is kinda meh (nor do I believe a true English release was ever done, so it would require a patch like many Korean/Japanese MMO's that never make it over here), and Akira Toriyama's style is pretty distinctive even today.

Then there are the obvious DQ fans who WOULD play an MMO of DQ, and beyond those who are already playing on Japanese servers.  Then there's the question of how many of those guys would switch to the US servers.  Or if they connect them all like FF's are, would SE allow those people to transfer their Japanese server accounts to the US account server, since play and account/login servers are always independent?

However, I have to agree, I don't think there's anything to this yet.  There have been insiders who've said it's coming for sure, but with all the changes and additional ways to play from PC to Mobile, and I'm sure Nintendo would want some piece of the pie, who knows how complicated discussions are, and what the ultimate plans will be.  Could be things are sitting because they still don't know which version...

My 2c.

That was more like 42 cents, but well-put.

Meanwhile, my first, and favorite, MMO, is being mothballed this month:

https://www.asheronscall.com/en/forums/showthread.php?62779-News-about-the-next-update

One last content patch, adding rerolling, a max-level arena thing, and evolving superweapons, and that's it.  End of the line.

They're going to try and make it free to play for all current subscribers, so if you were playing AC at the end, you'll be able to play it forever.  Until they close the servers, anyway.  But they're also giving away the server software.

For reference, AC had about 100-200 players on each of the servers the last time I played last year, which would be a total of about 1000 players during prime time.  That's less than half a single WOW server.  

DQX could easily be profitable, although not wildly so, if Square Enix outsourced the localization to a subsidiary.  There's no way the bloated corpse of a gaming company that is modern Square Enix USA could keep overhead down enough to release DQX in the US and have it be profitable with less than 500k monthly subs.

;) Part of me hopes that DQ X does make it over here to the States but I dunno if I would buy it because, again it's an MMO and I'm just not a big fan of MMOs. Then people reading this post will probably ask, why do you WANT the game to come over here if you don't plan on getting it? Well that's cause it IS Dragon Quest and it does need some more love here in the US. Plus who knows, given some time I might change my tune towards it cause well it is Dragon Quest :laugh:

I've hardly watched any gameplay for any MMO's but from the footage I've seen of DQX, it just looks like a turn based RPG with mobility. So besides the potential for a subscription fee, what's the big turn off? 

I've hardly watched any gameplay for any MMO's but from the footage I've seen of DQX, it just looks like a turn based RPG with mobility. So besides the potential for a subscription fee, what's the big turn off?

Nothing. People just like to find fault with things that aren't there.

Nothing. People just like to find fault with things that aren't there.

Yep, it's like someone not having ever read a fantasy or sci-fi book, and claiming that fantasy and sci-fi doesn't appeal to them.  Well, it so happens this individual reads Jules Verne because he's..."classical novela".

The thing I've always found interesting about a game is, are the complaints made by people who have actually played the game?  Or by people who THINK they know what it will play like, and are so convinced by one or few minor details that they assume they won't ever like, and thus feel a need to trash it because they believe it will be a terrible experience, or it forces them to accept something just a step too far in the realm of "different" and "new" for them to accept?

What I love about DQX is, while I can't speak for myself, testimonials of players who have actually played it versus people who haven't is the difference between "they love it or hate it".  It's the only line I can find drawn.  Those who hate it haven't even played it.  I have yet to find a single individual who has spent over 2 hours playing DQX that hates it.  Perhaps finds faults with it, and can speak objectively on what they don't like, but hate?  No.  I also find it VERY peculiar that most of the DQ players who are hardcore fans of the series tend to enjoy it immensely.  At least when I can find any form of review written by players.

So as a result I'm kinda pumped!  I really want to see this game over here, even if it means I'd pay and play for a month, then skip a year, come back again with new patches and updates.  Or heck, if I had the money and I really like it by the time it does, I'd be more than happy to run several accounts as I have done with every other MMO I've played.

The thing I've always found interesting about a game is, are the complaints made by people who have actually played the game?  Or by people who THINK they know what it will play like, and are so convinced by one or few minor details that they assume they won't ever like, and thus feel a need to trash it because they believe it will be a terrible experience, or it forces them to accept something just a step too far in the realm of "different" and "new" for them to accept?

The former. DQX has had a bit of a slow start in Japan but it was recently rated #1 for customer satisfaction in a recent poll.