Sign in to follow this  
Mr. RPG

What is the black sheep of Dragon Quest?

What is the black sheep of Dragon Quest?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Say what you will about DQ VIII, but at the end of the day, it kind of revived the franchise here. It had excellent marketing and they went the extra mile and added voice actors when they didn't have to. And I'm sure a large chunk of DQ fans here started with DQ VIII.

;) For me, Dragon Quest VIII is one of my top favorite Dragon Quest titles and one of my all time favorite RPGs. All this gushing over it, I should probably do a third playthrough of the game at some point.

For some reason, VII didn't connect with me. At all. Perhaps it was the fact that it takes about a week of playing hide 'n seek before encountering your first slimes. Not really a fan of the long obligatory intro genre, I must say.

Oh, and since I was practically raised by the NES Dragon Quest games, I'll go ahead and say that I thoroughly enjoyed II and its difficulty level. I mean, I've been raised by "Nintendo Hard", so that sort of difficulty was common for me. :D

For some reason, VII didn't connect with me. At all. Perhaps it was the fact that it takes about a week of playing hide 'n seek before encountering your first slimes. Not really a fan of the long obligatory intro genre, I must say.

Oh, and since I was practically raised by the NES Dragon Quest games, I'll go ahead and say that I thoroughly enjoyed II and its difficulty level. I mean, I've been raised by "Nintendo Hard", so that sort of difficulty was common for me. :D

You may enjoy the 3DS remake of VII if we get it here. The beginning was shortened quite a bit, with most of the puzzles removed from what I understand.

You may enjoy the 3DS remake of VII if we get it here. The beginning was shortened quite a bit, with most of the puzzles removed from what I understand.

Good. I heard the opening to DW VII was obscenely long.

;) Yeah it is, I've played the game twice before and there's a fairly long sequence involving many a puzzle. It works wonderfully for a Legend of Zelda title but for a Standard JRPG, it CAN work if done sparringly. Don't get me wrong I do like Dragon Warrior VII but I have to acknowledge that the game had quite a few flaws.

yarc.png

The black sheep of the Dragon Quest series is Chrono Trigger. It's not even allowed to use the family name!

Psshhht That's not DQ. Reminds me more of Secret of Mana.

Akira Toriyama doesn't make it Dragon Quest. Under that logic, Dragon Ball would be Dragon Quest.

Akira Toriyama doesn't make it Dragon Quest. Under that logic, Dragon Ball would be Dragon Quest.

I'm pretty sure he's joking.

The game was also written by Yuji Horii. It's two thirds DQ!

Really? Wow! I was under the impression it was written by the guy who does the FF games. (Can't ever remember his name though.)

Why did they go through Squaresoft instead of Enix?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 1

Really? Wow! I was under the impression it was written by the guy who does the FF games. (Can't ever remember his name though.)

Why did they go through Squaresoft instead of Enix?

Square hired them to make it. It must have been a real feather in their cap to publish a psuedo-DQ game.

Chrono Trigger was NOT written by Yuji Horii, or even Hironobu Sakaguchi.  Both DID write scenarios for the game, but neither spent much time on it, and merely approved or disapproved elements.  Kitase, the scenario writer for FF6, was the core writer for most of CT, and compiled the various subscenarios together and formed a more cohesive story surrounding them.  I believe there was another writer, but i don't feel like spending 20 minutes waiting for certain sites to load up so I can read them to cross check everything.  There are plenty of developer interviews on what went down.

Other than that, no Koichi Sugiyama involvement, instead it was Yasunori Mitsuda (his first independent work where he was the sole composer, I believe he did sound work prior).

Toriyama had far greater impact in the development of CT than Horii did for sure.

That said, great joke!  In some ways, Blue Dragon going along this tangent, is also a Black Sheep!  Not only was Toriyama directly involved throughout the process, but much of the game borrows heavily from DQ, in story elements, age of protagonists, and certain elements of the job system are a cross-breed between FF and DQ's systems.  Not to mention the stat system uses the 999HP/MP and 999stat caps.  It's like asking, what if Sakaguchi made Dragon Quest, and you actually had an answer!

Ah, Blue Dragon is a good one! BD and CT are both like a FF/DQ crossover in their own ways. 

Horii and Sakaguchi may not have had much to do with CT but their involvement was certainly a selling point in Japan. They and Toriyama were referred to as the "dream team".

Edited by Excitemike

;) I played the crap out of Chrono Trigger over the years since it's initial Super NES release. As for Blue Dragon,  I do own a copy but I really need to sit down and actually play it at some point.

I felt like Blue Dragon was way more Dragon Ball than it was Dragon Quest. The character designs and technology looked way more Dragon Ball-esque than it was Dragon Quest-esque (aside from the shadow spirits or whatever they were called, which seemed like they were ripped straight out of DQMJ)

Slime Master, let me put it this way about Blue Dragon's story.  It's a fantastic story that would have been far better served if the protagonists were 20+ and had a wider vocabulary range and a greater understanding of the world as a whole.  Especially the annoying battle cry's of the main, Shu, "I won't give up!," and the incessant whining of Marumaro.

There are a lot of people who played it and simply ignored the story as a result of this, as using children as the core of the group really downplays the significance and impact of every scenario.  Not that they don't develop individually and grow, they do, but it is accurate in that they develop as children would.  If you can get past this element, you'll find a surprisingly deep story, and a badguy that is more complex, narcissistic, and sadistic than he at first would seem.  However, like DQ, it's written with these elements and details underlying what is written and how things play out, so that adults can see it if they want to, while children can play the game and not be overly frightened or lost.

;) I've heard a few awesome things about Blue Dragon from fellow Den Member Neclord and that's what prompted me to pick it up a couple of years back when I got a 360.