Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Version 2.1 trailer

A better translation should proably use "force" instead of "strongly encourage". The idea neing that they don't want people to be forced to play with someone they don't know just for another chance at a broach. It would just increase things like the piramid virgin sales where people are getting payed to go with random strangers for their first time since it guarantees a broach.

A better translation should proably use "force" instead of "strongly encourage". The idea neing that they don't want people to be forced to play with someone they don't know just for another chance at a broach. It would just increase things like the piramid virgin sales where people are getting payed to go with random strangers for their first time since it guarantees a broach.

I suppose that's a better reason than not wanting people to play with others whom they don't know, and it would have been better to say so if that's what they meant.  But I don't think it would happen that way even if you could get broach fragments from the small secret treasure because there's no guarantee that a small secret treasure would become a fragment.  I doubt people would pay for that.  The pyramid virgin thing is a guarantee, which is why people pay for it.  Not only that, but the people who would be asking for help are probably people who are having trouble clearing the pyramid and would be more than happy to have a strong player help them, so I don't think they'd charge anything (At least I don't think people are that greedy.)  And technically no one is actually being forced to play with someone that they don't know, so the logic still doesn't make too much sense.  Whether it turns into a broach fragment or not, if people want a shot at a small golden fragment, it's a decision that they makes for themselves.  And if you want to help lots of people, odds are they're going to people you don't know.  Since you would be doing it after you already cleared the pyrimid, you'd basically just be offering your help to those who haven't yet finished.  And since you can't force yourself into someone elses party, but instead have to be invited, it's not like it would cause problems for anyone.  No one is beng forced to play with people whom they don't know, so that statement is still weird...  By introducing small golden fragments, people are however being ecouranged to play with people they don't know (I'm sure you'll see people using the newly added "pyramid" in the player search option saying they'll help people who haven't clear it yet), but there's nothing wrong with that (I don't think so anyway) so the statement is weird either way.

Edited by Sai

Well I consider the stories at each village to be part of the main story so I guess that's two aspects for me.

For a novel it might make sense to cut-out side stories, but for a game these stories are part of the world building. Having everything be caused by one big baddy seems more convenient and cliché.

Since there's no relationship with comrades, that only leaves this one aspect. I'll admit that some of it is interesting enough like the example you gave about the conclusion the story of the village with only children, but stuff like that is just way too few and far between in this game. All the stories for the quests that go along with each class up to lv 50 are downright horrible but I guess that's not part of the main story.

I haven't gotten around to doing all of the level 50 quests (like Super Star), but while most of them were not all that memorable, there were a few interesting stories. The way that the warrior storyline progressed was unique. More recently while it was indeed cliché I found the Monster Master storyline to be cute. Though the restriction on the quest that you had to have your monster with you made it a little hard to do with friends (I ended up doing part 5 three times where we switched off each time whose story we would be progressing). The extra story quests for each town though have been pretty good. Have you been doing those ones?

The thing with DQX is those supposedly momentous moments just seem to lack heart. I don't know why, but in DQIV, I could arrive at the dilapidated mining town full of poison marshed and people lying all over the place and feel bad for them. But when Esturk comes by and levels the camp next to that river of light, I could care less. (Why did Esturk even show up anyway? What's his relation to Nelgel or whatever that purple guy's name was. Was Esturk related to the purple gas in any way? Maybe I'm just forgetting stuff)

I suspect that you missed parts of the limited time quests, which "Esturk" is part of. His identity is given in the second 8 person battle that you have against him. While you will miss some of the story, you can still fight him now and get some of the storyline. I think I felt more when I saw the camp get destroyed then for the town in DQIV. In 1.0 my friends and I spent a lot of time levelling there. We had an emotional attachment to the place. We knew it before it turned into ruins. If you did not hang out there before it got destroyed I can see how it would not have the same impact, but even now a year since it happened the place is still depressing. (It also is not as convenient without the bazaar)

When Ortega dies in DQIII or you're friend in DQIV uses the transform spell to turn to turn into you and die in your place, that was heart wrenching. None of the deaths in DQX even faze you. The hero doesn't have to speak. The hero never speaks in DQ. But you knew that friend for all of 5 minutes and yet it affected the player because of how it was presented. Most of the things in DQX just feel so forced. All the other things you mentioned, I may not have seen them coming but . . . I don't know, none of it really made an impression on me. It was just, "Okay then." and I moved on. Usually in DQ you're always doing something to help you accomplish your main goal. But the problem is a lot of these village stories aren't tied in to the main story at all (or at least not in a way that's evident). It might all come together later, but for right now it's just random stuff happening. It's pretty much a repeat of "this village has a problem so lets help out just becuase I'm a nice guy and I happend to be there." And then at the very end, it turns out that someone related to main bad guy was responsible. I don't really remember at this point, but I think most of the stories involved with collected the badges had nothing to do with the main story other than the fact that you wanted the badge so that you could proceed with the main story.

In 2.0 your reason for visiting the three villages was to collect the butterflies. But none of the stories had anything to do with that. You just help people with completely unrelated problems and then at the end "Oh, by the way, I just happened to have this butterfly so I'll give it you for helping me." There's not even any explanation for why they had it in the first place.

Yeah, we don't know now, but since the story is being released in instalments we might find out the relationship in the future.

You just don't get that feeling of working towards your main goal. Quite frankly I don't even know what the main goal is anymore. The story is supposed to (I think) center around the menace that destroyed your village in offline mode. But . . . we kind of already beat him. So what's happening with that village? What's going on with our kid sister/brother who was transferred to some other place? How is that place or your village related to this world at all? I think where they're trying to take the story right now is there's an island that's been cut off from the rest of the world and "something" mysterious is taking place there.

. . .and . . . that's it. That's not exacly riveting.

Well, if you are going to ignore the fact that the sage asked you to save the hero princess, your character's motivation is based on what your bodies previous owner asked of you after the battle with the Hell Lord. There is also the unknown power that he called upon to power himself up to his gorila form that suggests that there is a higher demon lord out there that the world has to worry about. I am sure almost all players want to get back to the starting village, that is why we end up in it at the end of 2.0 only to find out that it is a fake world, and not our real village. What happened to your sibling is expanded on in the offline game. The village was important to world since that was the place that the turtle god came down and was protecting the villagers who have a time travelling blood line, which was needed to defeat the hell lord. Yeah, we don't know the answer to all the questions yet, but that is because we are still in the middle of the story.

As far as the relationship you build with other players being part of the story...I'm sorry but that's not gonna fly. :)

That is no way, shape, or form part of DQX's story. It's just not.

Regadring whether or not it's better than DQ9, I don't even remeber what DQ9's story was about, so I guess it is.

You can have that position. For me, the people that I fought a boss with are an intergral part of the way I feel about a certain story. But hey, your mileage may vary.

Dragon Quest X Story is the best

especially 2.0, It's make me and my character into story more dimension than 1.0 mix with classic felling like good old DQ (1-7)

a lot of mysteries to go/to reveal, many loveable cast of characters (yusha-samaaaaaa~)

not sad and bitter sweet like DQVII but so very~ INTENSE!!!

-------------------

ps. 2.1 full info will be up official at 24/02, stay tune!

DQX story is best of all? DQ 4-8 had much more fleshed out stories. 2-3 were good enough, especially for their time. 1 is . . . well . . . 1.

I like to think of it this way. If novels were to be written based exactly on the stories of 4-8 the way it happened in the game, they could be interesting. Maybe not so much 1-2 because gameplay was more of the focus. You'd have to add a lot to it. But a novel based on DQX? So much of it would be pointless sidestory. The problem with DQX is that while the game was built around the story for the other installments, in DQX the story is being build around the game.

Kei did not say "Best DQ", just the expression "is the Best". In DQVII while in the end, yes the reason that each village was sealed away did lead back to the big bad, it was still each individual village story that was good, and not the fact that they interconnected that was the attraction in the story. In the start as well, your reason for saving each village is simply to save them. The story of Chibi is not touching because the evil vines are whatever it was that attacked the village was sent by the demon lord, it was the relationship between Chibi and his owner, and Chibi and the town. In the same way, I and others like the stories in each of the towns in DQX. Is there more to each monster plaguing the town? The story is still unfolding, especially for Key Emblem towns. Furthermore in 2.0 outside of the fact that we need those butterflies, each story does contribute to the progressing story forward. A 2.0 novel would not be able to cut out these side-stories.

I suppose that's a better reason than not wanting people to play with others whom they don't know, and it would have been better to say so if that's what they meant. But I don't think it would happen that way even if you could get broach fragments from the small secret treasure because there's no guarantee that a small secret treasure would become a fragment. I doubt people would pay for that. The pyramid virgin thing is a guarantee, which is why people pay for it. Not only that, but the people who would be asking for help are probably people who are having trouble clearing the pyramid and would be more than happy to have a strong player help them, so I don't think they'd charge anything (At least I don't think people are that greedy.) And technically no one is actually being forced to play with someone that they don't know, so the logic still doesn't make too much sense. Whether it turns into a broach fragment or not, if people want a shot at a small golden fragment, it's a decision that they makes for themselves. And if you want to help lots of people, odds are they're going to people you don't know. Since you would be doing it after you already cleared the pyrimid, you'd basically just be offering your help to those who haven't yet finished. And since you can't force yourself into someone elses party, but instead have to be invited, it's not like it would cause problems for anyone. No one is beng forced to play with people whom they don't know, so that statement is still weird... By introducing small golden fragments, people are however being ecouranged to play with people they don't know (I'm sure you'll see people using the newly added "pyramid" in the player search option saying they'll help people who haven't clear it yet), but there's nothing wrong with that (I don't think so anyway) so the statement is weird either way.

They did talk about it in the video I posted above. Broaches are something you can only get in a pyramid so if you could increase your chances of getting a broach by going with other people you do not know that week, you would be "forced" to do so, for the rare item. Small treasures are all things you can get from doing other things than a pyramid, so that is why it is not forcing people to replay. If you want a Golden Slime coin you can buy Gold Treasure Flowers from the bazaar.

Since we haven't had a post about it yet, and it is sort of related to 2.1 since it is the second part of the 2.1 update... figured I'd summarize the information we know currently:

http://xn--10-yg4a1a3kyh.jp/dq10_version2.1.html

Skill cap increase

- The first quest for it will raise the cap from 100 -> 120 and is supposedly going to be available in 2.1's Dharma Temple (unconfirmed)

- 130 will be from a second quest (unconfirmed if it is part of the second update)

- 110 SP will get an exclusive passive skill, 120/130 will be exclusive skills or even spells.

Charge Time

- aka: Cooldown

- All new skills will have them meaning you probably can't spam them.

Balance

- New and old skills won't be rebalanced again until the 2.2 update so be sure to abuse the overpowered ones while you can.  :P

Special Training Mode

- No longer restricted to Glen Castle, you can change modes with the priest that you use to change jobs.

- 8 SP available. 1500 = 6 SP, 2500 = 7 SP, 4000 = 8 SP. Note that 5 SP right now is currently 1500 stamps so either that was a typo or they're lowering the stamp count for the first 5 SP.

- Stronger targets get you more stamps, rather than everything giving you 1

- In particular, strong bosses, pyramid bosses, trial bosses, and metals give you a 2 digit amount of stamps for clearing them.

- Upon hitting your level cap you will automatically be changed into special training mode (provided you cleared the quest) so you can earn stamps right away.

Worker Guild

- Lv cap 40 -> 45

- Special moves (like the ones you get for your lv45 job class quest) are being added to worker guilds.

Colosseum

- After the battle starts you will no longer be able to re-enter the small dead-end alleys at each end

- Max HP increase while in the Colosseum.

Special Lottery

- Upon getting a 3 or higher in the lottery you receive 2 special lottery tickets

- You can also select up to 12 friends to receive a special lottery ticket

- Prizes unknown but will be different from the regular lottos

Mini Evil Gods Coin

- A version of the Bazuzu, Atlas and Belial fight with weaker versions of them

- Winning doesn't get you the mask or fragments that the regular version does, it's unknown currently but will be something different

I'm both looking forward and despising the next part of this update. Too much level grinding for SP lately and they're going to make me have to grind more!  >.<

Does Training Mode allow a player to power-level a class in an arena type of situation?

No it's for when you are not collecting experience points. In place of xp you get stamps for killing goes that are of some difficulty. All the ones that award stamps are marked target in your monster book. Ps where have oh been gloomy? I've not seen you on dqx yet.

Ah, it's been hard recently, out-of-work, so no funds really.  THe sub and the price of the VPN is quite costly on a per month basis, maybe I'll get back on during the summer time, who knows!

The page I translated has an update with information on April 6th's broadcast:

Release date: April 17, 2014

- For skills/spells learned via 120/130 SP, they also have an initial cooldown. For example, one skill might not be usable for 30 seconds after a battle starts and after it has been used it cannot be used again for 40~90 seconds depending on the skill.

- The initial cooldown is 0 while in the Colosseum for obvious reasons.

- While in the Colosseum your natural max HP is doubled. Natural meaning excluding any passives and +HP on equipment