Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Ryu's Rants - The current state of console gaming.

Have you seen the current systems? We have disks, digital releases, load times, "Digital discounts", oh, and with one of the main systems, everything you buy is tied to the system itself! You spend $1k on a digital library, and it goes byebye if someone steals your console.

I remember when games had a distinct "feel" to them, and by that, I mean a cartridge. I mean shelf life. A disk? Get a few scratches and its done baby. A NES game? Blow that sum$#!&@ out and pop it in and work like a champ.

What happened to us? Are we so fueled by Resident Evil 12, Gears of War 7, or Final Fantasy 20 that we forgot our roots? Why are gamers clamoring for hyper-realistic graphics and shootfests with 12 year olds?

Whatever happened to the titles like the original Contra, Metal Gear, Metroid, Final Fantasy, even the pre-disk Dragon Quests. We had fun with those, and people -still do-. So why can't we just go back to it, huh?

Why can't the game companies see that the retro titles are what we want to go back to? Maybe not pixel-based graphics, but what about a solid JRPG, or an action adventure romp in the vein of the original Super Mario World? We have a few developers not afraid (( Tearaway, a PS Vita game I had the chance to play, is ORGASMIC. )) to do things, but there aren't enough.

In short? What happened to our cartridges, our light zappers? How could we be paying $60 for things that aren't really ours, or things that "Damnit, my little brother got ahold of it! A scratch killed my copy of Knack!" (( Yes, I know retro games were $100ish or more for the complex ones, I had PSIV. )) I know I want the old days back, in a real form.

Do you?

• Upvote 1

It's the future, man. An all digital future is where we're headed, like it or not. Cartridges and discs have become collectors items. That's not to say physical distribution is leaving anytime soon, but more and more people like the convenience of not having to worry about changing discs and having clutter in the form of cases lying around. And about the tied to the system thing, that's only true of Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft both have account based systems so it's really not that bad, but you know that already. 

A lot of us that grew up in that so called "golden age" of gaming do long for that retro feel, but the times are-a-changin'. Publishers and developers look at what makes money and what's popular and that tends to be new innovative IPs, the surge of first person shooters in the last couple years, and gimmicky hardware like gamepads and the Kinect. They go where the kids are, where the money is, and give them what they want.

But it's not all bad! Indie developers are more prevalent than ever and will be even more in the coming years. Some of these people are those that grew up in that now retro age and like many of us, feel that nostalgia. They're the ones to turn to if you want old school mechanics. You should try exploring the vast amount of indie titles on Steam and such, you might find some stuff you like.

Do I wish to go back to that era of gaming? I have a lot of fond memories of that time and I do miss that pre-internet period where the few games you had were the best things ever, but no, I don't think I'd want to go back to that. There's a lot of crap and greed and laziness nowadays with games, but for every piece of crap some company puts out, there's a fantastic, inspired game that everyone is too busy complaining about DRM or how Final Fantasy is dead or how Call of Duty is the worst franchise ever to even bother playing.

In short, there's a lot of bad out there, but there's also a lot of good. So why aren't we talking about that?

Edited by Zenlon

Find me some new good.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Have you seen Shovel Knight? It's an old school platformer in the vein of Mega Man and old school NES games, I'm pretty excited to check it out. Something like Brothers which blends storytelling and game mechanics together? A phenomenal game from last year. Old school Nintendo-hard rougelikes such as Spelunky and Rogue Legacy? Both worth checking out. Ever play Dark Souls? The game basically gives you nothing and tells you to figure it out for yourself, kinda like some of those NES games from way back when. What about Journey? Fez? Both are phenomenal games in their own right. Fez is Myst like in quality to the point where you need to take notes like you could've done in the old days when they gave you space in the back of instruction manuals to write stuff. Old school RPGs? I thought Dragon Fantasy was pretty cool.

Depends on what you like, I guess. I'm agreeing with you here, I thought those days back then were great. I just think there's a lot of great stuff today too.

Beat Fez, sunglasses! Rebuilt the castle on Rogue

Legacy. Got killed in Dark Souls when I had a PS3. Odgen is the old hero in Dragon Fantasy. I beat most of these.

Is Shovel Knight on PC? Or Ouya?

Afterthought, Spelunky HD is on my Steam list. Keep dying in Level 2 and 3 thanks to that shopkeeper.

I was on my tablet when I wrote this.

Well, if none of those scratched that itch for you, I don't know what to tell ya.

Shovel Knight isn't out yet, I think it comes out at the end of March? It should be on PC.

agreed. though i own a 3DS i rarely buy anything on it except VC titles on the Nes or GameBoy. (i don't really like DLC, but it is better than a cart with a unreliable battery)

i miss those days too, Genesis, Snes, sweet games. it'll never be the same, things may come close but will never fully replicate it. NOTHING will EVER compare to when i first saw Super Mario 64. (mario, in 3D for the first time. mind blown)

i do wish we still had the durability of carts, i bought the N64 over the PS1 at first because of this. just isn't the same now, fun....just not the same. and seriously.....they got rid of Kremlings in a Donkey Kong Country game! still miffed at that. 

motion controls....argh, just give me my controller. 

I hate gaming on consoles.  I hate having to sit down and play on my TV.  I hate having to commit to gaming for an extended period of time.

That's why I like handhelds so much.  I don't have to be committal.  That is also why I wanted the Wii U to take off.  That tablet is perfect for me, with its off screen gameplay

Well, if none of those scratched that itch for you, I don't know what to tell ya.

Shovel Knight isn't out yet, I think it comes out at the end of March? It should be on PC.

I beat most of them.

Graphics these days are considered most important. I think companies focus too much on graphics and not enough on the substance. If there's no "there" there, nothing's there.

I played a game called Rainbow Moon on PS3.

It had a really retro experience and I rather liked it.

motion controls....argh, just give me my controller.

:) ^ THIS ^ I can't stand the whole motion control thing, what is the bloody point of it?

Enhanced interaction. I like them when they're done well.

Wii, yes. Kinect, no.

I've been playing Castlevania SOTN's JP version, and loving it.

Wii, yes. Kinect, no.

;) Don't forget the PS Move, or Sony just kill that project thanks to the failure that is The Kinnect aka Hal 3000

Wii, yes. Kinect, no.

;) Don't forget the PS Move, or Sony just kill that project thanks to the failure that is The Kinnect aka Hal 3000

I consider the Move to be more of a wash than a failure/success. It simply offered a new way to play certain games and you weren't forced to use it. It just so happens that no one wanted to use it. Aside from this one horror game that keeps getting delayed (can't remember the name), there really aren't any Move-exclusive games, are there?

;) Unlike the Kinnect of course which has a good number of Exclusives and yeah I don't think I heard much of anything about the PS Move at all since they announced it I believe, plus it is PURE optional unlike the Kinnect with the Xbox One. Another thing that annoys me about modern console gaming is big companies using Micro Transactions to nickel and dime the player. Yeah it's optional but it's still annoying and cheap.

Mutahar makes some nice points about it in this video here:

Another thing that annoys me about modern console gaming is big companies using Micro Transactions to nickel and dime the player. Yeah it's optional but it's still annoying and cheap.

And the bad type of cheap. :(

;) Exactly! There's people who play the Assassin's Creed Mutliplayer that go along with the Micro Transactions to get the best stuff early without having to put an ounce of work into unlocking it. Which gives them an unfair advantage over players who chose to obtain things the old fashioned way. Not that Assassin's Creed Mutliplayer is all that or anything considering it's modes rip off CoD, Battlefield and every other shooter title out there only instead of guns you have knives to shank other players with.