Sign in to follow this  
DragonWarrior92

Looking for anything DQ related!

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site  :whoa: I am a huge Dragon Quest fan and have a decent collection of stuff but am looking for more (there will never be enough  :laugh: )! I am looking for games, figures, weird miscellaneous stuff. Pretty much anything. If you have something or know where I can get something, please let me know. I am especially interested in a metal slime controller  :thumbsup: . Also, I was thinking about learning to read Japanese so I can play the games not released here in the states. How difficult is it to learn, how long will it take before I know enough to play and what program/thing should I use and is the best? Thanks guys!!!

• Upvote 1

;) Hey there and welcome to the Dragon's Den :) As for your question regarding Dragon Quest related merchandise, Play-Asia and eBay are probably your best bets. I'm not sure how difficult it is to learn Japanese though I've heard varrying stories

• Upvote 1

I'd check Ebay more. I won some stuff from a contest on the Den, (( DQ cards and a few figures )) but the guy who had them seemed to disapper.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the Den, most of the places I have gotten things are listed above, but I am sure there are others.

• Upvote 1

;) Amazon.com might also have a few Dragon Quest related items as well, I might need to check that site myself

Welcome to the Den!

I'm certainly not an authority on the best sources for learning Japanese, but what I have done has really helped me to play DQ games in Japanese.  Bear in mind that I don't know nearly enough to understand the story, but I I find that knowing enough to understand and navigate the menus gets you 90% of the way.

To that end, I use two apps on my phone to practice my Katakana and Hiragana.  To my knowledge, Katakana are the characters they use when they are referring to foreign words.  I find these the easiest to learn and apply because you can usually just romanize the characters, sound it out and you have your word right there. 

Examples:

スライム  --> su-ra-i-mu --> slime
ドラキー --> Do-ra-ki- --> Drakee
ブーメラン: Bu-me-ra-n --> Boomerang

In Dragon Quest, Katakana will be your window to knowing a bunch of monster names and also some item and spell names without needing to translate actual Japanese words.

Hiragana is where most people start learning, but I find it less satisfying because after you romanize the Hiragana, you are still left with a Japanese word which then requires translation before you can hope to understand what it is. 

Examples:

ひのきのぼう --> Hi-no-ki no Bo-u  --> Cypress Stick
やくそう --> Ya-ku-so-u --> Medical Herb
おなべのふた --> O-na-be no Fu-ta --> Pot Lid

Some spells, items, monsters etc. can use a combination of Hiragana and Katakana, so that can help you figure out what it is just from the Katakana part. 

Example:

キメラ  の  つばさ --> Ki-me-ra no Tsu-ba-sa  --> Chimera Wings

For me, that absolute worst part of trying to learn Japanese is the Kanji.  These are essentially symbols that represent whole words (as is my limited understanding).  It seems completely nebulous to understand these, short of rote memorization of the large list of Kanji.  In Dragon Quest, many things will have Kanji characters as part of the name, with Hiragana or Katakana making up the rest of the name. 

Examples:

石 の オノ --> Ishi no O-no --> Stone Axe
鉄 の ヤリ --> Tetsu no Ya-ri --> Iron Spear

Now, since my Japanese self-education is solely to serve my desire to play Dragon Quest games that don't get localized, I have found a couple of resources that provide excellent information for this:

1) Dragon Quest 8 Guide on GameFAQs by Red Scarlet

--> This guide is great because it provides the Japanese characters, the romanization of those characters and finally the translation.  Being Dragon Quest 8, you can quickly build up your lexicon of familar Dragon Quest items, spells, monsters etc so that you can recognize them in this and other games.

2) Dragon Quest IV PSX guide on GameFAQs by Red Scarlet

--> Very similar to the Dragon Quest 8 one.  Being Dragon Quest IV, it has some different items and monsters etc. to further build your lexicon. 

Anyway, hope that was helpful in some way.  Regardless, enjoy your stay here and I look forward to seeing you around.

• Upvote 1

I don't actually know any japanese, but I've found that if you play a game like DQ4 on both the PSX (japanese) and the DS (english, you could do the NES version if you wanted, but the DS version is closer and easier for this approach) at the same time, you will start to recognize some of the text for items/spells/monsters/menus. Say there's a pot with an herb in it in Izmit/Strathbaile: You get the herb in both versions, know it's an herb, and remember that (japanese text, I have no way of typing it) means herb.

I have some notes on DQ4 PSX somewhere at my mom's house, if I can find them this weekend, I'll post some pictures if you'd like.

Keep in mind though not all words are literal translations.

I didn't mean they were literal translations, I just meant you can figure out what they'd be in English.

;) The DS versions also have quite thick accents in the text dialogue which while heard in voice acting is kinda cool, reading it can be a pain.

I didn't mean they were literal translations, I just meant you can figure out what they'd be in English.

Exactly, you start to recognize words.

I couldn't find my DQ4PSX notes this weekend... D:

Dude, I fav'ed that. When taxes come in? TIME FOR SOME SLIMES.

I WILL HAVE A SLIME MUG I SAW ONE GNOSGJKPRSNGK

In lieu of necroposting my selling thread from 6 years ago (Sorry to have dropped the ball on that, but my marriage failed and selling some toys didn't really matter), I have a bunch of Dragon Quest stuff I was going to put on ebay or otherwise sell soon. Extra figures, from the character figure collections, some crystal monsters, maybe some other stuff.   

Host a giveaway! Give some of those figures to us.

I was on my tablet when I wrote this.

In lieu of necroposting my selling thread from 6 years ago (Sorry to have dropped the ball on that, but my marriage failed and selling some toys didn't really matter), I have a bunch of Dragon Quest stuff I was going to put on ebay or otherwise sell soon. Extra figures, from the character figure collections, some crystal monsters, maybe some other stuff.   

You could always donate some as prizes for contests on the Den.

Depending on how much money you have, I can hook you up with what I believe is the largest DW/DQ collection of swag in America.  I've yet to see anyone else's collection who rivals it...even got featured in Nintendo Power.  I'm planning on selling most (potentially all) of it here pretty soon...

Out of curiousity, what spurred you into selling it all?

I've got a ton of debt that came from medical bills for my son's birth and complications afterwards, and I've just been crushed with the debt / trying to pay it off over the past 2 years and I've come to the point where I'm sick of only being able to pay the minimum payments + interest on the debt.  Right now, I see no end to paying for it, so rather than pay for it forever, my collection has to go.  I already sold 90% of my gaming collection, and the only things of value I have left lie in my DQ collection... so, it's up for the chopping block now.

I really didn't want to have to sell any of it, but the way I see it, if I'm going to sell any of it, I might as well sell all of it.  I'm debating on whether or not I'm going to keep my most cherished items, but we'll see.  I have a lot of super rare things that I know I will never see again in my life.  It sucks because I have had a love affair with DW/DQ since 1989, but at this point in my life, I'd rather not be desperate for money for the next 10 years.  I figure if I can pay off a good chunk of this debt, it'll get me on the road to finally getting it paid off.

That coupled with the fact that since 2009 I've moved 4 times to 3 different states for work and my collection has been in boxes since 2008 and I'm afraid to unpack it all just to end up potentially packing it up again for a move.  So, really I'm to the point where I don't even get to see it anymore anyways because of constant moving so I'd rather let my stuff see a new home who can appreciate it, and I can use the money.

Too bad you have to consider it, but I suppose it is for the best cause, so your kid is fine.

If you definitely have to sell it, I suggest you do keep some items you really like. No matter how much I may envy your collection (even knowing I have no money to get even a part of it), it always makes me feel bad when someone has to let go of something they like.

Since the need is really there to get some money now, it is useless to wish you could keep it all, but do not let it all go away.

I went on Ebay and bought all of DQ IV main characters except for the female hero from Singapore.  A lot of good merchandise comes out of East Asia.