Sign in to follow this  
Slimeknight

Square Enix trademarks two Dragon Quest titles in U.S.

"And considering Mr. RPG's  childish rants, I truly don't care if its fair or not."

You're an idiot.

Like I said, the fans don't deserve Square-Enix.

I can't wait for the new Dragon Quest games to come out and then you buy them and look an idiot after your rants of "boycott! boycott! Square-Enix is the devil!"

Eal, don't try to reason with them. If they don't get what they want they'll stick their fingers in to their ears and say 'blah, blah, blah, blah I can't hear you."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7jtebntJ3o

Because DRAGON QUEST IS NOT POPULAR IN THE WEST.

I wasnt going to chime in on this thread cause honestly there is enough complaining going on without my input ... but why does this statement come up all the time? Im pretty certain if people are willing to play the FF/KH crap that Squenix has been releasing lately, they would be willing to play DQ. The reason it's "not popular" is cause its not here. The highest percentage of gamers are not retro gamers or gamers with nostalgia about a series they have enjoyed for years but the dumbass gamers who walk into Gamestop or whatever crappy chain is supporting the current gen systems and they pick something up off the shelf that looks neat and interesting and something they would be willing to shell out the $60 for. If DQ is the game that fits the bill, thats the one that will get sold. I mean Final Fantasy lately does not look interesting. The last release had a pic of Lightning on the cover and thats it yet it sold.

I understand the frustration of people waiting for the latest installation of the series to be released over here. Im one of the older people on the forums who was around when Nintendo promoted the free DW game with the Nintendo power subscription and I was one of the people that got one. I remember all the breaks from the series but in all honesty, there are plenty of games out there to fill the gap in between the DQ pauses. I personally cant stand most of the monster hunter/raising games so DQ has been worse on me cause the games that have been released to fill the gap have been very low on my interest list. Im also not a huge fan of re-releasing games we already have so the DQ future for me most likely means another copy of DQ VII, yet another remake of DW 1&2 and possibly (if I have any luck at all) a localization of DQX.

So go out and pick up a different series and entertain yourselves til that day comes. There is a lot of other series out there that are pretty good themselves.

• Upvote 2

I get what you're saying, but FF and Kingdom Hearts have been popular since the beginning (well, for FF it probably didn't pick up steam until 7). I was the only person playing Dragon Quest while everyone else was sharing hints and tips about Kingdom Hearts. DQ hasn't been able to pick up steam the way those two series have and it's unfortunate because its mostly the fault of SE and the gaming community itself. They're content to pay $60 for the same game over and over again. FPS after FPS with a GTA to fill the gap. I'm not as starved for DQ games as other people. That's why I was absent for a period of time: I ha other games to play and other interests to keep me busy.

But thank you for sharing you're opinion. It's nice getting a fresh perspective instead of the same 3-4 people bickering back and forth between topics.

Since my Indian dish I made today didn't really come out all that flavorful (it was OK, but bland), I can't share that all with you and make you all happy.  So...

tumblr_lu3whtrzYr1qby2i8o1_250.gif

• Upvote 3

And that is why I am likely not going to buy any more consoles. :/

Since my Indian dish I made today didn't really come out all that flavorful (it was OK, but bland), I can't share that all with you and make you all happy.  So...

tumblr_lu3whtrzYr1qby2i8o1_250.gif

I love you Platty.  :heartslime:

• Upvote 1

Is Nintendo baking the cake? Or Squeenix?

Either way, if they came out tomorrow and said "Hey guys, we have DQ7 coming out for 3DSs for X date, DQX PC will be having an American closed beta X time, and expect mobile titles in the DQ universe!", everyone here would be thrilled. Ecstatic.

But will they do that? Nopel. We'll get nothing until right before a release, if anythign.

And with that can we all stop bickering back and forth between three different topics and go back to being friends?

• Upvote 1

Is Nintendo baking the cake? Or Squeenix?

Cake is cake.  You don't question who brings it.  You just devour it! :thumbsup:

Better be oreo cookies and creme marble cake.

Better be oreo cookies and creme marble cake.

BoozerOpenMouth.gif

That would be my open-mouthed amazement if it was. 

Any cakes or pies that had oreos in them in college at the cafeteria, we just called them orgasm pies.  Or orgasm cakes.

I get what you're saying, but FF and Kingdom Hearts have been popular since the beginning (well, for FF it probably didn't pick up steam until 7). I was the only person playing Dragon Quest while everyone else was sharing hints and tips about Kingdom Hearts. DQ hasn't been able to pick up steam the way those two series have and it's unfortunate because its mostly the fault of SE and the gaming community itself. They're content to pay $60 for the same game over and over again. FPS after FPS with a GTA to fill the gap. I'm not as starved for DQ games as other people. That's why I was absent for a period of time: I ha other games to play and other interests to keep me busy.

But thank you for sharing you're opinion. It's nice getting a fresh perspective instead of the same 3-4 people bickering back and forth between topics.

I think Kingdom hearts success comes from the weird Disney aspect of it, however odd that is and the popularity of the keyblade in the cosplay world. I will agree with Final fantasy really picking up after VII (Although I played it from the release date of the NES version). Dragon quest was really popular at first but then we went from DWIV at the end of the NES life (October 1992) to DQVII in the middle of the PS1 9 years later in October of 2001 (I dont count the handheld stuff on that cause they were either remakes of something we already had or some pokemon-ish style monster games that really normally only appeal to a very niche crowd). Too many people were so deep into FFVII by then that overcoming that was an impossibility. Then it got worse on the PS2. DQVIII came out (imo the best DQ game to date so far) but it was preceeded by FFX and that pushed the gap even further.

I do have to comment on one other piece though. You mention people paying for the same game over and over and its funny cause DQ fans are just as bad. Half the posts on here are hoping for yet another remake of DW I&II just to have something else to buy. I agree thats what the FPS crowd does too as I hate FPS games immensely. I talk to my step son about it cause he is one of those stupid FPS fans and he says "They are all different. They have different weapons and different missions." I guess he probably isnt the only person that thinks that way.

I hope that other people do tend to chill a bit more about the next release. Im sure we will get "something" eventually as I cant see them just totally ignoring this side of the world for every additional DQ release in the future. In the mean time, give Ni no Kuni or Bravely Default a try! I doubt anyone here will be totally disappointed in either of them, especially Ni no Kuni which is the only game I consider absolutely superior to DQVIII.

I agree, fans of most game series are essentially buying remake after remake, which isn't that much different from buying a CoD game. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm stoked for DQ remakes because they're games I haven't even played them yet. Same with games like, say, Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen. They're the same story but with so much new content, an upscale in graphics from the original, and recent(ish) Pokemon. With a FPS, it's a slight upgrade in graphics, the same bland story, and nothing really new or innovative about them. So I guess that's what makes DQ remakes differ from FPS. And even if you don't agree, at least we can both say the story of DQ games are better and more expansive in comparison to the cookie-cutter storytelling of FPS.

And as much as I love DQ VIII, there's no comparison: Ni no Kuni IS the superior game. Just last night I was blasting a song from the soundtrack. I didn't play another game while I was playing it and I enjoyed every. last. minute of it.

Edited by eal

I agree, fans of most game series are essentially buying remake after remake, which isn't that much different from buying a CoD game. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm stoked for DQ remakes because they're games I haven't even played them yet. Same with games like, say, Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen. They're the same story but with so much new content, an upscale in graphics from the original, and recent(ish) Pokemon. With a FPS, it's a slight upgrade in graphics, the same bland story, and nothing really new or innovative about them. So I guess that's what makes DQ remakes differ from FPS. And even if you don't agree, at least we can both say the story of DQ games are better and more expansive in comparison to the cookie-cutter storytelling of FPS.

And as much as I love DQ VIII, there's no comparison: Ni no Kuni IS the superior game. Just last night I was blasting a song from the soundtrack. I didn't play another game while I was playing it and I enjoyed every. last. minute of it.

Cookie-cutter storytelling? You mean there's more to CoD than Team Deathmatch and Capture the flag?

Ni no Kuni?... Bleh... Rather be playing DQX in a lanuage I can't understand.

I'm not in for the whole "SE is evil/DQ is dead"-fight... I mean, look at it, there IS a trademark registered - in the US! Maybe just some crappy Android port? Possible. But at least we may get something that refreshes the memories of gamers about that good old series called Dragon Quest. Maybe they are slowly rebuilding mainstream demand before setting off a bomb and announcing a new localisation.

Whatever..., maybe all those discussions should be held on SE's facebook page instead of this isolated forum? Then at least some of the right people might read it. Sh*tstorms like that don't necessarily help, but they get noticed on social networks and I'm sure many people will join you guys. ;) (Just look at any DQ news posted on Siliconera - every single time people complain about the lack of games in the west, so it's not only us.)

As always, trademark filings are nice, but several companies will file them just to retain rights to the name. Remember, there were other DQ sounding trademarks filed that never went anywhere.

The Mad and The Monsterous and Slimeshot off the top of my head. Rise of Mana was also another filing that never seemed to go anywhere.

"slimeshot" is the only Dragon Quest-sounding name, also Rise of Mana was only recently filed last year.

About nine months. The Mad and the Monsterous was speculated to be DQ.

Really? That's a funny name for a Dragon Quest game. 

It's the alliteration -- DQ games in the West almost always, nowadays anyway, have some silly alliterative subtitle.

I understand the frustration of people waiting for the latest installation of the series to be released over here. Im one of the older people on the forums who was around when Nintendo promoted the free DW game with the Nintendo power subscription and I was one of the people that got one. I remember all the breaks from the series but in all honesty, there are plenty of games out there to fill the gap in between the DQ pauses. I personally cant stand most of the monster hunter/raising games so DQ has been worse on me cause the games that have been released to fill the gap have been very low on my interest list. Im also not a huge fan of re-releasing games we already have so the DQ future for me most likely means another copy of DQ VII, yet another remake of DW 1&2 and possibly (if I have any luck at all) a localization of DQX.

So go out and pick up a different series and entertain yourselves til that day comes. There is a lot of other series out there that are pretty good themselves.

This is 100% how I feel.

I also played the DW games as they came out. After the fourth one, I kept waiting for the fifth, but it was never released. I was aware that it had been released in Japan and I was disappointed because I imagined I would never get to play it, but I moved on. And then almost a decade later, I finally got to play V and VI on an emulator.

Then VII, VIII, and IX came out in the US. So when I hear people say, "It's been so long since they've released a new game in the US!" I think, "Wait, didn't IX come out, like, yesterday?"

I've been playing DQ games for over 20 years. Waiting four or five years for another release really doesn't bother me all that much. If anything, it makes me appreciate the next game even more. So just be a little patient, everyone. I know it sucks to have to wait, but the wait is more than likely worth it. In the mean time, we have a phenomenal number of older releases to choose from. And nearly all of them, the main titles at least, stand the test of time. My 14-year-old self could never have fathomed anyone complaining that they only had 9 DQ/DW games to play instead of 10, nevermind the huge selection of remakes and spin-offs. I only had the first four on the NES, and those kept me satisfied for over a decade*. I'm pretty sure I can wait a couple of more years for another DQ game.

*I'm actually currently playing through the original NES games, I - 4. Still as addictive as ever... unbelievable.