Sign in to follow this  
Slimeknight

Square Enix trademarks two Dragon Quest titles in U.S.

Correct me if I'm wrong--but I'm sure Saigan said something about those titles being mobile ports. :cry2:

I think those are for the ports. :/

DQ7 had the tagline "Warriors of Eden".

Ah neat, a US trademark. The last ones were discovered as Japan trademarks but they stood out because they were in English and fit the alliterative theme of modern DQ localisations. 

Everyone is such a negative Nancy. A new game is a new game, speculation or not.

I hope its a sign of the mobile ports of the Loto trilogy. All we have for those are 2 officially licensed sets on 8-bit NES/GBC hardware. The GBC games may be ports of the SFC remakes, but sacrifices were needed. The tinny sound alone merits these getting dibs in the remake department. Furthermore, the GBC versions' use of white text windows and backgrounds is a headache inducing eyesore. And the 4 letter names suck.

The English SFC versions are inconsistent in script (although still much appreciation to RPGone and DQTranslations for giving them to us). I have nothing against the fan translators for an inconsistent script: I'm way too thankful. These are unpaid fans doing the work, not some company that treats its customers like $#!&.

Here's my view: everyone says "We already have multiple ways to play 1-3." Well, the 8-bit versions sound too tinny and are in need of 16-bit or better remaking. The SFC versions would have fit the bill in that regard. EVen though 1&2 on SFC is not as nice as the mobile ports, its plenty acceptable in terms of graphics and sound.

DQ7 for PS1 gets flack, but it is acceptable by appearing to be at least in the quality vein of a 16-bit console.

4, 5, 6, 9: All DS acceptable.

8: PS2 acceptable.

1-3: Needs work.

And since I put main series before spin offs...

I actually love the GBC remakes. All of the content of the SFC versions but looking as close to the 8-bit games as possible. 

Don't get me wrong, they're great games, but I think that North America and Europe could use them on the 16-bit or greater level.

Personally, though, I found the color palette eye-hurting. The same can be said of Facebook and Youtube- I personally become groggy from the white background. When I come to the Den, the nice soft black makes me relax.

• Upvote 1

wsGYBlr.gif

Edited by Ryu

I'm watching this topic. *forever pessmistic*

Though I am looking forward to android ports of DQ2 and 3. I -loved- 3.

And I HOPE TO HELL THEY KEEP BLAZE.

• Upvote 1

Why does it matter? You guys said you aren't going to be buying any more Dragon Quest games because Square-Enix is evil and doesn't deserve you (the fans) right?

Anyways, the topic title is misleading only one trademark was filed in the US today (Seeds of Salvation)

source

Most people think it is for iOS DQ games (I hope not)

some believe it is for VII (probably just hope)

Edited by Mr. RPG

iOS and Android.

And I don't plan on buying another Squeenix game in the near future. It helps I don't have any system but an Ouya.

Why does it matter? You guys said you aren't going to be buying any more Dragon Quest games because Square-Enix is evil and doesn't deserve you (the fans) right?

Anyways, the topic title is misleading only one trademark was filed in the US today (Seeds of Salvation)

source

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7jtebntJ3o&feature=youtu.be

Edited by redneckpride4ever

source

Okay, that's not fair. The whole weekend you guys were railing against SE saying you were going to boycott them and "never buy another DQ game" and now that the possibility of a game is on the horizon you guys change your minds? I didn't agree with the whole boycott thing but at least be consistent and stand by your statements. Don't brush him off like that when he makes a valid point...
  • Upvote 3

source

Okay, that's not fair. The whole weekend you guys were railing against SE saying you were going to boycott them and "never buy another DQ game" and now that the possibility of a game is on the horizon you guys change your minds? I didn't agree with the whole boycott thing but at least be consistent and stand by your statements. Don't brush him off like that when he makes a valid point...

I specifically said I was CONSIDERING it.

And frankly if SE went bankrupt tomorrow, I wouldn't care. Every series reaches an end, and if that's it for DQ, that's it.

Ryu was more hard nosed than I. He has told me on FB he is only buying DQ second hand. And he'll stick by it knowing him.

And considering Mr. RPG's  childish rants, I truly don't care if its fair or not. Consumer complaints and he calls us spoiled children? Yeah, I know I'm stooping to his level, but its so gratifying.

I seriously don't plan on buying another, ever. If I buy DQ again? Or ANYTHING FROM SQUARE ENIX? It will be second-hand. Or on the Android-side, piracy. They don't deserve my money. I'll spend it on Telltale or Steam-based games. Or Double Fine. Something. Something except this company who has done nothing but $#!& on us since DQ6. And then it was NINTENDO THAT BROUGHT US DQ6.

And I'm sorry to Mr. RPG, but he goes on like Square Enix has done -nothing- wrong.

Even Dwaine has been bold enough to ask if they deserve a fanbase like us!

Sorry, but we've missed out on how many DQs? We haven't gotten a single one since the launch of the 3DS? WE GOT A SHINING FORCE GAME GEAR GAME BEFORE DQ1+2 GB?!

I'm done being a dead horse here. I'm right, and you know it. With Square Enix's own people saying they're working on mobile titles and FF and KH? How can you POSSIBLY see these trademarks as a "magical game time" for the 3DS or the Wii / Wii U / PC? They are buisness people, the Wii is dead, the Wii U hasn't had anything on it except for Mario BS, and they've done nothing except for some weird-ass crossover event for FF14 to keep it up to date with JP.

This means -nothing- for the DQ series in the US. These trademarks? Remember Chrono Break? It could mean nothing, but likely, it's our already-talkedabout mobile ports of DQ1 and 8.

• Upvote 1

I seriously don't plan on buying another, ever. If I buy DQ again? Or ANYTHING FROM SQUARE ENIX? It will be second-hand. Or on the Android-side, piracy. They don't deserve my money. I'll spend it on Telltale or Steam-based games. Or Double Fine. Something. Something except this company who has done nothing but $#!& on us since DQ6. And then it was NINTENDO THAT BROUGHT US DQ6.

And I'm sorry to Mr. RPG, but he goes on like Square Enix has done -nothing- wrong.

Sorry, but we've missed out on how many DQs? We haven't gotten a single one since the launch of the 3DS? WE GOT A SHINING FORCE GAME GEAR GAME BEFORE DQ1+2 GB?!

I'm done being a dead horse here. I'm right, and you know it. With Square Enix's own people saying they're working on mobile titles and FF and KH? How can you POSSIBLY see these trademarks as a "magical game time" for the 3DS or the Wii / Wii U / PC? They are buisness people, the Wii is dead, the Wii U hasn't had anything on it except for Mario BS, and they've done nothing except for some weird-ass crossover event for FF14 to keep it up to date with JP.

This means -nothing- for the DQ series in the US. These trademarks? Remember Chrono Break? It could mean nothing, but likely, it's our already-talkedabout mobile ports of DQ1 and 8.

Oh so true! Rogers got bombarded with DQ questions on his blog. He was expecting questions about the next FF or something of that ilk. The DQ people came out instead...I think we made him feel mighty uncomfortable. Not a peep since. Not even the courtesy to say "Sorry, X game is not being released outside of Japan."

I'm certainly not going to defend the harshness through which he tried to make his point, even though I consider it valid. Dispute act towards someone with a different opinion is rude in what should be a polite debate. HOWEVER, you weren't the only person he was referring to in his post, I'm sure. You yourself mentioned Ryu and I'm there were a number if others who shared the "not buying DQ" mantra.

I'm not going to say SE is in the right. SE had probably done more things wrong than right, but you're not just punishing SE by not buying from them. What about the developers, the REAL people behind the games. SE is just the publisher. Are you also going to stop reading Game of Thrones (just an off the cuff example) because the publisher binds their books poorly?

And you Ryu sound like a complete hypocrite when you say you'll only pirate a DQ game from now on. You're supposed to be the champion of piracy AND supporting the company if they still stand to make a profit on a game. You only invalidate you're point by saying you'll willfully pirate a game that the company still makes money on.

• Upvote 2

I consider myself a champion, but Square Enix has done nothing lately to warrant any kind of purchase.

Hell, I supported their efforts in bringing Android titles over with Final Fantasy Dimensions, Chrono Trigger, even Chaos Rings. What did I get in return?

Constant problems with THEIR updates killing my Final Fantasy Dimensions saves, I haven't been able to play Chrono Trigger yet 'cause the Android OS broke their shitty-ass DRM system it doesn't need, and Chaos Rings really kind of sucks.

And now? We got FF6! Again! Woo! (( I was looking forward to it. )) But do we get DQ? In any form? NOPE. LOL. NOOOOPE. We get some half-assed FF14 event and they can't even say "You're such good fans. :D!", they just think we'll know what a Golem is and those stupid thug hats.

I support the publishers whenever possible. But Square Enix is dead to me right now. And if they don't get their act up, either with some kind of word on a 3DS release of DQ7 or some kind of ENGLISH LOCALIZED mobile ports of anything? I'm done.

I am tired of endless Final Fantasys when they keep doing sequels and the teenybopper Kingdom Hearts ports and sidegames. I'm sure you can agree, it's time for an RPG with some damn MEAT in it. It's time for DQ. Either DQX PC, DQ7, or the mobile ports.

But until we get a word, or recognition? We're nothing to them. We're money. We're not even fans. We are a secondary market, just like how Nintendurr sees us. There is common courtesy, "Sorry, but we're not looking into X right now.", X being any DQ game. Hell, I've gotten answers from FALCOM AND THE YS SERIES about their stuff. 

*huff, breathe, huff*

Edited by Ryu

I'm certainly not going to defend the harshness through which he tried to make his point, even though I consider it valid. Dispute act towards someone with a different opinion is rude in what should be a polite debate. HOWEVER, you weren't the only person he was referring to in his post, I'm sure. You yourself mentioned Ryu and I'm there were a number if others who shared the "not buying DQ" mantra.

I'm not going to say SE is in the right. SE had probably done more things wrong than right, but you're not just punishing SE by not buying from them. What about the developers, the REAL people behind the games. SE is just the publisher. Are you also going to stop reading Game of Thrones (just an off the cuff example) because the publisher binds their books poorly?

And you Ryu sound like a complete hypocrite when you say you'll only pirate a DQ game from now on. You're supposed to be the champion of piracy AND supporting the company if they still stand to make a profit on a game. You only invalidate you're point by saying you'll willfully pirate a game that the company still makes money on.

I think he's angry enough that he too has the "all good things must end" attitude, only a more severe case than most. Unlike what your post implies, he has NO desire to support SE, and could care less if stealing/not buying the DQ games leads to him helping sink the whole ship. Not even slightly hypocritical. I can understand your disagreement with him, but his logic is consistent.

As for Mr. RPG, I know he was referring to a lot of people: a lot of people who sincerely felt bad for someone who seems like a genuinely nice guy who was crapped on. Since Mr. RPG couldn't understand why anything was said and insulted MULTIPLE people, I find my video ALL THE  MORE appropriate than if he was singling out me.

Hell, Mr. RPG was from my view adding insult to Saigan's injury.

I am tired of endless Final Fantasys when they keep doing sequels and the teenybopper Kingdom Hearts ports and sidegames. I'm sure you can agree, it's time for an RPG with some damn MEAT in it. It's time for DQ. Either DQX PC, DQ7, or the mobile ports.

But until we get a word, or recognition? We're nothing to them. We're money. We're not even fans. We are a secondary market, just like how Nintendurr sees us.

I'm frustrated with the lack of information, it's definitely one of the many, many, many things they are doing wrong. And as someone who barely plays Final Fantasy and haven't even played a single Kingdom Hearts game, I would like something new from them, but we all know its they're cash cow, and they'll milk those damn things until their udders are shriveled up, but it's the same with DQ in Japan. Look at all the games that's come out in Japan over the course of a year. That's because it's a cash cow over there as well. And why do we rarely get anything? Because DRAGON QUEST IS NOT POPULAR IN THE WEST. They barely make any money, mostly because of another one of their many failings: they don't market it. This obviously has to do with the fact that they think it'll fail and therefore they don't want to put any money into it. Stupid, yes, but that's how they probably see it.

Edited by eal

I've said those near-exact words before in the DQX threads. :| It's a damn shame they are more willing to pump money into FF than give DQ a decent localization and some advertisment.

Especially since it was their excellent advertising for DQ VIII that got me into the series in the first place. They did a three-issue interview with Akira Toriyama in the manga magazine Shonen Jump and included a demo in one issue. I happened to have a PS2 and thought it was epic and got it soon after it came out. I have hope that the mobile ports when they get released might help revitalize the series. Everyone nowadays has access to mobile games and it might help to win over some new fans.

• Upvote 1

"And considering Mr. RPG's  childish rants, I truly don't care if its fair or not."

You're an idiot.

Like I said, the fans don't deserve Square-Enix.

I can't wait for the new Dragon Quest games to come out and then you buy them and look an idiot after your rants of "boycott! boycott! Square-Enix is the devil!"

Eal, don't try to reason with them. If they don't get what they want they'll stick their fingers in to their ears and say 'blah, blah, blah, blah I can't hear you."

Edited by Mr. RPG