Does Square Enix Deserve Us As Fans

How can you defend Square Enix as it stands currently?

We haven't had -one damn word- about DQ, the series we're all here for, since Joker 2. :|

DQX? Silence. DQX Wii U? Silence. DQX PC? Silence. DQ7? Silence. Terry? Silence. Slime 3? Silence. DQM2? Silence.

It's pretty obvious we're just a bunch of Kingdom Hearts and crappy FF sequel lovers, to them. :|

Like I said "acting like spoiled entitled children".

No, it's bad business practice.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With everything going on and with what people have been saying lately, I thought I'd toss up a new topic for the sake of discussion.   It's tough to be a NA/EU Dragon Quest fan. This series has expe

I like silent parts of the community better when they stay silent.

18 posts since 2011. :|    Seriously. We haven't gotten anything about DQ since the last remake, really. And this guy is claiming that DQIX's marketing campaign was jaw-dropping?   I'm going to pi

You guys are sounding like spoiled children.

Do you guys forget that without Square-Enix we would never have VIII? IV? V? VI? IX? Swords? Rocket Slime? Joker?

Jesus. Enjoy what you have. Remember that? We aren't entitled to Dragon Quest, but I feel like you guys think you are.

Honestly, the topic should be "Do the fans deserve Square-Enix?" because you guys don't sound appreciate at all what they have done for you guys in the past decade.

I'm honestly baffled by this whole community. I remember a long time ago, we were all excited about new Dragon Quest games (IV, V, and VI all announced on a single day) and everyone was thanking Square-Enix for everything they have done. I remember those times. It was when this community was an amazing place. They didn't have to make these games. Hell, I doubt it was even worth it for them to translate them all for a mid-to-low return. They could have used that work for other things, but they didn't. We were all so happy back then and now there's a possibility that there won't be another Dragon Quest game or someone's let's play got shut down you guys are going crazy and losing your minds as if it isn't fair.

What happened to you guys? I'm thankful for what Square-Enix has given us, what about you?

• Upvote 1

How can you defend Square Enix as it stands currently?

We haven't had -one damn word- about DQ, the series we're all here for, since Joker 2. :|

DQX? Silence. DQX Wii U? Silence. DQX PC? Silence. DQ7? Silence. Terry? Silence. Slime 3? Silence. DQM2? Silence.

It's pretty obvious we're just a bunch of Kingdom Hearts and crappy FF sequel lovers, to them. :|

I can understand if people don't like the company's policy on one game series, they don't like to support the company. Unfortunately for me, I still like KH, especially the HD version of 2 that's coming out which is my favorite one. Like with all companies, if they make a good game, I buy it. If not, meh, someone else will get my money.

That's yer thing. :P I don't intend on buying anything from them for a long time.

You know...

Square Enix has been around a long time. Even before the merger. But Enix is the one that brought us the DQ series in the first place. They also brought us such titles as Star Ocean 2, Valkyrie Profile, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, EVO : The Search for Eden, and the entire DQ series, barring 5 and 6 for some reason.

Square, before the merger? A couple NES games, and pretty much FF4 and FF6 for the SNES. (( Breath of Fire was Capcom. I know Square published the first, but meh. )) Also SMRPG.

We still never got Treasure of the Rudras, Treasure Hunter G, Live a Live, Seiken Densetsu 3, Front Mission, Alachest, so many RPGs they could have published...

The PSX era was slightly better. We missed out on a couple of chocobo titles and such, but nothing -too- big.

Onto the merger. Remember we got DQ7? We were lucky to get DQ8. I think to this day they didn't expect it to be such a hit. I think they just did it to promote FF12. (( Remember the demo disk? )) If you bother looking at lists, we pretty much have gotten -most- of their releases since DQMJ2.

Except for the obvious SaGa death. :P

We've missed out on five or so DQ releases in the past 5 years. Barring the multi-system releases of DQX. 

And of course, as we can see now, they'd rather us pretend they don't exist.

And this is Square Enix. They want to bring us port after port after port of various titles on Android and iOS over anything else. We've gotten FF1-6 now, along with an exclusively-developed game. But did we get DQ at all? Nope, we get Chaos Rings. 

So you can see what they -want- to bring us. If we see any DQ title anytime soon, we will be thanking Nintendon't, not Squeenix.

I'm not sold on this whole concept of "deserving" anything. I think people or companies that think they deserve anything are a little full of themselves. Maybe it's semantics, but there's not a whole lot of deserving going around.

Squeenix wants money.

We want games.

Hopefully we find a common ground again like 2005-2011.

I have hope (very little based on the past couple years), but I sure don't think I'm deserving of anything. I will still buy what DQ stuff comes over.

Edited by Plattym3
  • Upvote 3

Meh, I think we deserve at least a word on these RPGs. A sentence. Something.

But to them, it's better we don't know they exist it seems. :/

Meh, I think we deserve at least a word on these RPGs. A sentence. Something.

But to them, it's better we don't know they exist it seems. :/

Ehh... again, semantics. But yeah, you'd think they'd say something.

I'm not sold on this whole concept of "deserving" anything. I think people or companies that think they deserve anything are a little full of themselves. Maybe it's semantics, but there's not a whole lot of deserving going around. Squeenix wants money. We want games. Hopefully we find a common ground again like 2005-2011. I have hope (very little based on the past couple years), but I sure don't think I'm deserving of anything. I will still buy what DQ stuff comes over.

Finally someone who understands logic!

Thanks for your reply! I agree!

• Upvote 1

Do you guys forget that without Square-Enix we would never have VIII? IV? V? VI? IX? Swords? Rocket Slime? Joker?

• VIII had a good campaign.
  • IV wasn't given enough of a budget resulting in the party chat being cut. First time I can think of Square Enix releasing an incomplete game. The marketing consisted of one print ad in Nintendo Power and banner ads.
  • V was difficult to find due to its limited run and its only marketing were banner ads.
  • Swords had banner and (I think) print ads.
  • Rocket Slime's focus was Slime Knights and print ads in Nintendo Power. Their E3 2006 press kit sported tons of shots, artwork, and high res logos for the games, while Rocket Slime had two 200 pixel wide screen shots. The producer was there for interviews, but they never bothered telling anyone.
  • Joker's campaign was spotty. Had what (I thought) was a good commercial. Long and short versions. They released way too many screen shots. (I'm not even going to put them all up on the site.) They pulled the plug on Slime Knights mid campaign, plus they didn't even supply them with assets. I had to send them to King Slime! Slime Knights had rough official support at times, some of that was the fault of the PMs leaving. Square Enix also stiffed them on prizes, causing the site's managment to take all the complaints. King Slime and the community was what made that site, not Square Enix.
  • IX and VI were run by Nintendo, thus had solid campaigns.

So Square Enix has had a very inconsistent history with supporting the series. If you're paying for localization and production - you back it. For FF XIII they bought a bus, decked it out, and ran an expensive campaign for a couple of days for a demo. They draped buildings in stock art. They sent me a press release talking about how they bought ad space on the NBA All-Star Game. And that's just one example of useless, wasteful promotion while Dragon Quest was getting paltry, ineffective banner ads and they weren't even purchasing artwork assets for press kits. That doesn't sound like a company that wants our business. Nintendo even stated they thought the series should be doing better. That's more or less one company telling another, "You're not doing your job!" I'm certainly thankful for Nintendo, because they've done more for the series in two years than Square Enix did seven.

By the way, spoiled? Have you not noticed we're missing six games?

I almost feel like at this point those companies are too prideful to change even if not changing will result in them being bankrupt.

36227-Thats-good-Thats-damn-good-8Lce.gi

Edited by Dwaine
  • Upvote 3

More like ten years.

• Upvote 1

When I first heard about Terry's Wonderland 3D, it was like a dream come true and the Cobi/Tara Remake looks just awesome, so of course I'll be very disappointed if I never get to play this in German or English language. But on the other hand... I can't even keep track with the current library of DQ games. There are so many great DQ games out there and each one is more time consuming than the other. I have a lot of stuff to play, before I personally call it a dark age and the JP version of DQX will keep entertaining me for a while as well.

I know, this isn't the point of this whole discussion. Many of you have completed all those games over and over, but I just wanted to point out why I'm not really suffering from the lack of releases (yet).

As for MJ2. I personally saw NOTHING for promotion... Nintendo set that one up to fail.

In Germany they at least... tried. In collaboration with former DQ-fansite dragon-quest.net, they had a competition: You just needed to post into a forum thread and had the chance to win one of five demo cartridges for DQMJ2. You were supposed to receive it some weeks before the release. By participating you agreed to write a little preview for dragon-quest.net.

I was one of the five winners and was expecting the demo cartridge any day when all of a sudden Nintendo announced that they won't be able to send the demos before DQMJ2's release date and just decided to send us the full game instead! Of course everyone still wrote a little review for the website :).

That campaign was quite small, though... Only few more than 20 people tried to win the demo and I think our reviews only had a few hundred clicks.

Edited by bjaxx87
  • Upvote 1

I'm still plan on purchasing Dragon Quest games. Though I'm not sure if I'll purchase X I might but I won't be playing it. I won't be buying any of the mobile ports if we do get them seeing as I don't have an Android or ios device.

I don' own a console, and I won't anytime soon.

I always stick on handhelds.

Actually, I think I finally understands the main problem I, and probably the others, have with SE : 

They makes money like crazy, and that probably won't stop soon, but they do nothing with it.

Or, more precisely, nothing for their customers outside of Japan. 

They can distribute all the DQ Game over here, and promote them enough, so they have at least correct results, and probably even good. The monsters game may be really niche, but DQ7 (and X) would sell well in the US and in Europe (DQ7 would actually probably sell even better because we didn't have the original). At least as good as DQIX.

But they just don't care. They're already swimming in money, so they don't care about any other potential market.

If they promoted DQM right here, it'd sell -super- well. It's simple. Collab with Nintendo so DQM comes out during a Pokemon lull. >_>

• Upvote 1

I love how you guys say you want to be treated like Final Fantasy fans when the Final Fantasy fans hate being treated with terrible games.

*clap* Good show, good show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7jtebntJ3o

I wouldn't say "treated like Final Fantasy fans" the way you're saying it. It's just that they're more likely to get games localized. I'm aware of the poor quality that recent FF games have and for fans it's not so much about wanting games as it is wanting quality games. We know DQ games are quality and that's why we want as many as FF fans are getting. It's about wanting out fandom to be acknowledged the way SE acknowledges FF fans.

I wouldn't say "treated like Final Fantasy fans" the way you're saying it. It's just that they're more likely to get games localized. I'm aware of the poor quality that recent FF games have and for fans it's not so much about wanting games as it is wanting quality games. We know DQ games are quality and that's why we want as many as FF fans are getting. It's about wanting out fandom to be acknowledged the way SE acknowledges FF fans.

By treated like "Final Fantasy fans" I am saying people here expect a ton of marketing, much earlier release dates, ALL of the games to be localized (including spin-offs), Collector's Editions, etc.

I don't think people here understand the costs of localizing games (especially ones as text-heavy as VII) and the business risks of doing such a thing. They're a business, they aren't your mommy guys.

By treated like "Final Fantasy fans" I am saying people here expect a ton of marketing, much earlier release dates, ALL of the games to be localized (including spin-offs), Collector's Editions, etc.

I don't think people here understand the costs of localizing games (especially ones as text-heavy as VII) and the business risks of doing such a thing. They're a business, they aren't your mommy guys.

I don't think you understand the problem most of us have. It isn't as much as we want games, hell, I'd be okay knowing we aren't getting a game. The problem is we want to know something. And we aren't being told anything.

I don't agree with him either but I think that's enough of that.

• Upvote 1

Dude, just how far will you justify Square Enix?

Seriously. Localizing a game like DQX? Big, heavy, etc.

Porting the existing DQ titles? Little to nothing, especially now that they seem to have an engine for DQ1-3 with the DQ1 port to iOS/Android.

And DQ7? IT IS DONE. JAPAN HAS IT. It can easily be localized, because guess what? WE HAVE IT ON THE PSONE. Inject the script, have a few interns do necessary changes as they always do, and we have DQ7 worldwide. -_-

Hell, we've been getting FF titles on iOS and Android up the -wazoo-. Why not DQ? 

I love how you guys say you want to be treated like Final Fantasy fans when the Final Fantasy fans hate being treated with terrible games.

*clap* Good show, good show.

Actually, I'm in for a couple "terrible" DQ games.  First off, I doubt they exist, so they'd be good anyway.  Secondly, it's DQ!  I admit, I'll buy whatever they send over.

• Upvote 3