Does Square Enix Deserve Us As Fans

With everything going on and with what people have been saying lately, I thought I'd toss up a new topic for the sake of discussion.

It's tough to be a NA/EU Dragon Quest fan. This series has experienced more ups and downs than any other RPG series. Heck, it's getting to where Y's is having a better track record! There are some realities to face. We are and will always be a minority. DQ is a powerhouse in Japan and the English market will never pull those numbers. There have been steps in the right direction in the past decade. Some localizations were started while the games were still in development. Most of the games are set up for English characters. Not only are we a minority in the developer's eyes, we're a minority in the publisher's eyes. DQ is still a niche market and it's always been a one step forward, two steps back problem over here.

DQ is no longer operated through a small office, and never will be again. This is a tough one. When Enix was around, DQ was their flagship. We had N0B and Justin, a translator and a product manager on the forums answering practically every question in detail. The corporate structure and NDAs no longer allow for that level of transparency. If I write any of my contacts, they can't tell me if something's coming down the line, because of NDAs, things have to be announced within whatever marketing window they're shooting for, etc. It's silly, because I think keeping your customers informed is a good thing. What happened with DW IV PSOne is an example of the opposite extreme.

We seem to be in another DQ dark age, and that's a shame. I can't think of another franchise that's been knocked over this many times, rebuilt, and still continues to grow. After all this time, does Square Enix deserve us as fans?

We haven't had the best treatment. Don't get me wrong, there have been some wonderful localizations and marketing campaigns, but it wasn't consistent under SEI. For a decade now, if it's not a DQ product Square Enix doesn't see a dime from me. I don't like what Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts have become and I'm not interested in the EIDOS properties.

Yuji Horii and his development teams deserve us as fans. Look at what a lot of gaming is like these days. Glitches, patches, microtransactions - we don't get that with DQ. Those people slave during the day and sleep in their cubicles at night. They should be rewarded for thier work.

Nintendo's marketing deserves us as fans. They came up with several fun and creative campaigns, both in the US and Europe. DQ is always considered a tough sell here, so their work deserves to be rewarded. They made several commercials, organized numerous events, and even got Yuji Horii a couple times for fans to meet. Square Enix made banner ads for IV and V.

The fans deserve each other. DQ has been a pretty solid community. Lots of friendly and helpful people. It's great to see people who've been around from the start mixing with people picking it up for the first time. They deserve to have something nice. I know I do what I do because I think you folks deserve something nice.

The middlemen, the drones who're behind every single frustration? No, I don't think they deserve us. That's the problem. I want to reward the good people, but at the same time, I don't want to support poor business practices.

• Upvote 7
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With everything going on and with what people have been saying lately, I thought I'd toss up a new topic for the sake of discussion.   It's tough to be a NA/EU Dragon Quest fan. This series has expe

I like silent parts of the community better when they stay silent.

18 posts since 2011. :|    Seriously. We haven't gotten anything about DQ since the last remake, really. And this guy is claiming that DQIX's marketing campaign was jaw-dropping?   I'm going to pi

The problem with SE and, dare I say, all game companies, are the talking heads and the businessmen that direct them. The people themselves, who put work into actually making the game, are the people we should be supporting. And to do that unfortunately that means supporting the suits that put the games out.

A lot of people threaten to boycott games because of the way the suits treat them, but you'd be punishing the people who made Game X, a game you like, when your mad at the company that puts game on the shelves. Dragon Quest didn't screw you over, SE did, and saying your not going to buy it doesn't give them any incentive to bring it over.

If you like a game or a game series don't stop buying it because the company that publishes it is the one that's alienating you. It's a vicious cycle and its definitely not fair but I'm not going to stop playing the works of the DQ development team because I'm mad at SE's business heads, PR machine, or their legal team. Yuji Horii has nothing to do with them.

• Upvote 2

Oh, you guys. All of life's problems can be traced back to the USA's government.

This particular problem stems from when The United States of America defeated Japan during World War 2. USA didn't just take Japan over and force English to become the only language. Sure, they occupied and helped rebuild, but they didn't get rid of the moon-speak and replace it with American English. Wasted opportunity.

This is supposed to be a joke. Not a funny one, however. I mean, seriously, if Japan's national language was English we wouldn't be having these problems.

• Upvote 1

At this point it doesn't feel as much like the question is does Square Enix deserve us as fans, as it is does Square Enix even WANT fans? They haven't made a good business move in the longest time and their fanbase understanding is... entirely nonexistant.

• Upvote 1

At this point it doesn't feel as much like the question is does Square Enix deserve us as fans, as it is does Square Enix even WANT fans? They haven't made a good business move in the longest time and their fanbase understanding is... entirely nonexistant.

The only things they have done correctly recently is Bravely Default. They took into account (Japanese) Fans feedback and producted a quality game for international release. It's a really good game, and we acan really see all the efforts they made to makes it the best. 

However, this seems to be at the cost of their others series, which is a shame.

They don't understand what makes Final Fantasy fans (No, it's not to have Lightning wearing cameo costumes), and don't seems to see it as anything more than a quick cash cow (Android remakes, All the Bravest), and absolutely doesn't care of the DQ Fans outside of Japan (Nintendo were the ones who made all the works for recent translation).

Honnestly, this is a stupid move. DQ Fans are a minority, but there are far more RPGs fans.

And as a RPG fan, Dragon Quest was, is, and always be a proof of quality.

I started playing DQIX again some times ago, and despite all its flaws, it's still really fun, and reminded me what I became fan.

They don't deserve us as fans because they don't even understand why make us fans in the first place. 

But for now, we don't have any other choices. 

RPGs were more or less mainstreamed by FF7 in 1997.  So I wonder... HOW has any DQ failed? 

In this day in age, no RPG should be considered a "hard sell".

Interesting how 9 sold spectacular, and 6 sold well. Hmm...do I recall advertising?

As for MJ2. I personally saw NOTHING for promotion... Nintendo set that one up to fail.

I saw TV ads for Fortune Street, but here's my take: it was advertised as a Mario game. If Mario can't move a product, you're screwed.

Edit: Let's pretend VG Chartz is right this time and Fortune Street broke 100,000 in its first 6 weeks. Apparently it wasn't a flop. I stand corrected.

Edited by redneckpride4ever

Another hit against J2 is that everyone who already knew about the series knew that there was a Pro version in Japan that gave a ton of new monsters.  For awhile it was thought that the delay in localization might have been them trying to do the pro version instead, so when it turned out to be vanilla a lot of people were turned off by the product.  Given that and the complete lack of advertisement, it's a wonder it sold as much as it did.

On the topic overall, SE no longer knows what it takes to make a series popular.  They are trying with BD, but if they decide their new series needs to be a cash cow instead of making quality games, that series will hit the toilet too.  The only thing keeping DQ from going that route is that SE only publishes the games, it's Horii and co. that actually make them.

• Upvote 2

Another hit against J2 is that everyone who already knew about the series knew that there was a Pro version in Japan that gave a ton of new monsters.  For awhile it was thought that the delay in localization might have been them trying to do the pro version instead, so when it turned out to be vanilla a lot of people were turned off by the product.  Given that and the complete lack of advertisement, it's a wonder it sold as much as it did.

On the topic overall, SE no longer knows what it takes to make a series popular.  They are trying with BD, but if they decide their new series needs to be a cash cow instead of making quality games, that series will hit the toilet too.  The only thing keeping DQ from going that route is that SE only publishes the games, it's Horii and co. that actually make them.

Excellent point! 

As for who makes a game...doesn't really matter in a sense. If a game is crap, don't publish it. If it clearly has demand, advertise it: don't scratch your head wondering why a quality game won't sell.

I didn't really care for Earthbound all that much, but I was able to see that the reason Nintendo had their thumb up their ass on the series is because they were using the pre-FF7 ideology of "it didn't sell"...even though we are today an RPG hungry nation that will devour what is properly advertised. And lo, it is one of their biggest downloaded titles. 

Nintendo has truly been the SE of that series: its fans are rabid enough that they'd quite possibly (even likely) demolish any numbers made by DQ in North America. Financially speaking, it would have been far wiser for them to re-visit Mother in modern times than try rescuing Dragon Quest.

Didn't they put something in DQ7 3DS that would make it a better international release? Something about using the wifi rather than local wireless which has been a problem with virtually every DQ game unless you live in a big city. That screams international release to me since Japan doesn't really need it, It has been nearly a year though since DQ7 came out so that's probably not a good sign for it coming here.

RPGs were more or less mainstreamed by FF7 in 1997.  So I wonder... HOW has any DQ failed? 

In this day in age, no RPG should be considered a "hard sell".

Not as mainstream as they once were. RPGs are still heavy popular, but mainly WRPGs, there's been a lot of debate the past year or so on if JRPGs are even still relevant. With franchises like DQ not even getting a chance in the west anymore, the argument that no, they are not, gains some strength.

They need to sell Nintendo the IP already. :|

We'll get the releases, we'll get all kinds of mashups, and it will be awesome.

Well put Dwaine, and that's where I'm finding myself with the series. I love DQ, and I want to continue trying to spread my love for it... but SEI won't change its policies so long as fans do continue to support them. Hopefully in the near future they will make some good decisions and then I can re-evaluate my loss of devotion to the series.

Not as mainstream as they once were. RPGs are still heavy popular, but mainly WRPGs, there's been a lot of debate the past year or so on if JRPGs are even still relevant. With franchises like DQ not even getting a chance in the west anymore, the argument that no, they are not, gains some strength.

Yeah...i really. really hate to admit it, I really do-but Japanese-style RPG's are getting more sparse and I'm turning to western style RPG's--which are DEFINATELY good, mind you, don't get me wrong. It's just that they don't have the same feeling.

They should localize Yokai Watch or something, spread it through NA then the other countries on children's TV and get the game going. That should get the younger generation started. Something similar to what happened with Pokemon, medabots and DBZ

I almost feel like at this point those companies are too prideful to change even if not changing will result in them being bankrupt. Despite a Kickstarter that shows how much people want a Mega Man game (I think it was funded in less than a day), Capcom still flat out refuse to do anything with that franchise other than put him in Smash Bros. which might make him a little more familiar to people, but just because people buy the new Smash Bros. doesn't mean those same people want a Mega Man game.

As Ryu has point out a few times :P , Nintendo just doesn't get online which is very perplexing at this point. I'm convinced Sony just threw PSN together not thinking it and Xbox Live would take off, but when it did, PSN is still leagues ahead of Nintendo's current online infrastructure. To be honest, after all their shortcomings in the last 10 or so years with online, I doubt this will ever change despite our complaints. Nintendo basically said we don't need Super Mario 3d World with online coop as it could hinder the local coop experience which makes no sense at all. If I have friends over (and the game), I'll play it locally, if not, play it online.

I guess cause Japanese gamers are catered first to Japan, then outside Japan, it's possible they are telling us what we want and they are probably taking Japanese fan's feedback on new games.

If I use Square-Enix as an example, there isn't a person I know who actually wanted like 30 games set in the FF13 universe, but I'm sure Japan likes them.

I guess even though we are all gamers, as a culture, Americans lean towards one thing and Japan towards another. And then there are us fans who like some Japanese games, but are forced to wait for possible localization/fan translation or learn Japanese.

As for my stance on boycotting Square-Enix, well if DQ games come out, I'll buy them. KH HD 2.5 Remix is probably coming out this year in America, I'll be getting it. FFX HD is coming out soon and I'll get it. Obviously I'm not boycotting them, but if others feel strongly about it, more power to them. I can't condone what they did to Saigan's youtube vids, but I can understand how DQ just doesn't sell well here and they feel it's not even worth bringing over so why bother catering the game to non-Japanese gamers? Plus, Nintendo has bigger problems at the moment compared to bringing over a game that may not sell well anyway.

Edited by Destructor526

They need to sell Nintendo the IP already. :|

We'll get the releases, we'll get all kinds of mashups, and it will be awesome.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'd rather wait 5+ extra years for a fan translation of a Sony DQ than play another DQIX. Or Fortune Street. (I like Itadaki Street Special and Portable, but the Wii one sucked horribly)

YEEEEESSSSSS.

I'd love to see a Mario & Luigi with Loto as a party member. :P

You guys are sounding like spoiled children.

Do you guys forget that without Square-Enix we would never have VIII? IV? V? VI? IX? Swords? Rocket Slime? Joker?

Jesus. Enjoy what you have. Remember that? We aren't entitled to Dragon Quest, but I feel like you guys think you are.

Honestly, the topic should be "Do the fans deserve Square-Enix?" because you guys don't sound appreciate at all what they have done for you guys in the past decade.

I'm honestly baffled by this whole community. I remember a long time ago, we were all excited about new Dragon Quest games (IV, V, and VI all announced on a single day) and everyone was thanking Square-Enix for everything they have done. I remember those times. It was when this community was an amazing place. They didn't have to make these games. Hell, I doubt it was even worth it for them to translate them all for a mid-to-low return. They could have used that work for other things, but they didn't. We were all so happy back then and now there's a possibility that there won't be another Dragon Quest game or someone's let's play got shut down you guys are going crazy and losing your minds as if it isn't fair.

What happened to you guys? I'm thankful for what Square-Enix has given us, what about you?

Considering that Nintendo translated and published IV, V, VI, and IX and Horii actually made the game, I can safely say that SE did little more than sat on their collective bums and gave people permission to do these things.  Overall, they have had no hand in the recent western releases of Dragon Quest.

I will give you that SE made the decision to publish VIII in the west.  Unfortunately they have changed as a company since then, with their titles outside of DQ showing this as well.

Nintendo didn't publish or translate IV or V. Square-Enix did. See? You're NOT being thankful and you aren't even crediting who released and published the game!

And without Square-Enix you never would have gotten VI or IX either.

We got a Dragon Quest game between 2005 and 2011 every year.

2011 - VI, Joker 2, Fortune Street (it counts)

2010 - IX

2009 - V, Dragon Quest Wars

2008 - IV, Swords

2007 - Joker

2006 - Rocket Slime

2005 - VIII

keep_crap_150_zpsd7af69c5.png

Might I add that the we got the SUPERIOR version of VIII which if I can recall correctly Japan never got.

Edited by Mr. RPG

Honestly, the topic should be "Do the fans deserve Square-Enix?"

It doesn't really work in the inverse. I see your point about the whining, but SE is a pretty shitty company in terms of business practices, no question.

• Upvote 2

Square Enix wouldn't be anywhere in the first place without fans.

All media related companies exist in the first because their are fans.

If the fans are unhappy, and a large enough number of them are tired of being shafted--it will impact that company and they will be forced to change policies ala Microsoft. However since SE core audience is Japanese, only their problems count.

But what about us that faithfully follow and buy into the franchise? Well, we aren't the core audience so too bad. It's only natural we'd let off steam, simply because we are passionate about said topic. 

• Upvote 2

Do you guys forget that without Square-Enix we would never have VIII? IV? V? VI? IX? Swords? Rocket Slime? Joker?

Jesus. Enjoy what you have. Remember that? We aren't entitled to Dragon Quest, but I feel like you guys think you are.

Honestly, the topic should be "Do the fans deserve Square-Enix?" because you guys don't sound appreciate at all what they have done for you guys in the past decade.

I'm honestly baffled by this whole community. I remember a long time ago, we were all excited about new Dragon Quest games (IV, V, and VI all announced on a single day) and everyone was thanking Square-Enix for everything they have done. I remember those times. It was when this community was an amazing place. They didn't have to make these games. Hell, I doubt it was even worth it for them to translate them all for a mid-to-low return. They could have used that work for other things, but they didn't. We were all so happy back then and now there's a possibility that there won't be another Dragon Quest game or someone's let's play got shut down you guys are going crazy and losing your minds as if it isn't fair.

What happened to you guys? I'm thankful for what Square-Enix has given us, what about you?

4b2245ad67cno2.jpg

• Upvote 3

How can you defend Square Enix as it stands currently?

We haven't had -one damn word- about DQ, the series we're all here for, since Joker 2. :|

DQX? Silence. DQX Wii U? Silence. DQX PC? Silence. DQ7? Silence. Terry? Silence. Slime 3? Silence. DQM2? Silence.

It's pretty obvious we're just a bunch of Kingdom Hearts and crappy FF sequel lovers, to them. :|

• Upvote 1

4b2245ad67cno2.jpg

Are you serious?

How can you defend Square Enix as it stands currently?

We haven't had -one damn word- about DQ, the series we're all here for, since Joker 2. :|

DQX? Silence. DQX Wii U? Silence. DQX PC? Silence. DQ7? Silence. Terry? Silence. Slime 3? Silence. DQM2? Silence.

It's pretty obvious we're just a bunch of Kingdom Hearts and crappy FF sequel lovers, to them. :|

Like I said "acting like spoiled entitled children".