Ryu's Rants - Square Enix Redux

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You all by now have seen what has happened to Saigan.   It's time to send a message to the entity that is now Square-Enix.     We're tired of having to go through VPNs and pitfalls to PAY to play

I appreciate the support guys, but sending angry emails probably won't do anything. Polite messages stressing the importance of a strong fan community being supported by the publishers will probably d

Saigan probably advertised DQ more than SE did for America in the last 10+ years. Guess they couldn't allow that for some reason.

i didn't know we got DQMJ2 after the pro edition came out. Should've gotten Pro, I will agree there.

Yep. Pro came out in March We got the original in September. Though I'm surprised you didn't know this. There was quite a stink when we found out we were getting the original instead of the Pro version.

I didn't like Joker 1, and I liked Joker 2 less from what I tried of it with my flashcart. I mostly ignored anything about it.

They didn't want to give us a... well, DQM came out before Pokemon, but Pokemon has overtaken it...

Which would be the clone? 

I guess I should say they don't want to give us a game like Pokemon when Pokemon obviously sells leaps and bounds better than DQM in the US.

Actually, DQM is a clear SMT Clone. SMT still stay more popular for some reasons...

Because SMT is "controversial".

Because SMT is "controversial".

How so?

I'd say the content is quite mature.  You're not raising cute Pokemon or DQ monsters.  You're raising demons.  There's a lot of cussing in the game that's got more mature themes.

Oh, and some of those demons look like this:

Lilim.jpg

So instead of raising cute Pokemon you're raising cute demon women! But this fact only brings us back to the question of why SMT isn't that popular in the West.

So instead of raising cute Pokemon you're raising cute demon women! But this fact only brings us back to the question of why SMT isn't that popular in the West.

SMT's biggest themes involve anarchy, dark gods, and demons. That stuff isn't considered as cool in the west as in Japan.

Saigan probably advertised DQ more than SE did for America in the last 10+ years. Guess they couldn't allow that for some reason.

Really? I hope you're being sarcastic. Sure I bet saigan introduced some people to the series.. But wow.

He likely did. :| I've never seen Square Enix advertise DQ. Nintendo, yes. Square Enix, no.

That is ridiculous. Square-Enix had a ton of trailers, online advertisements (I saw a ton of these @ GameFAQs IIRC), newsletters, press releases, sent review copies to review sites, articles and interviews with gaming magazines, etc.

Ooops. Posted twice. Sorry

Edited by Mr. RPG

I've only ever seen two DQ commercials. One for DQ8, which SE definately would have been behind. The other for DQMJ, which was probably done by nintendo because it looked like it was targeting 5 year olds.

Never seen ANY *official* advertising for DQ on the Web. Just stuff on Youtube (like Saigan) and here at the Den.

Same. The most DQ advertising I remember is that stupid Mystic Quest ad from the 90s that was in a bunch of comic books.

I've only ever seen two DQ commercials. One for DQ8, which SE definately would have been behind. The other for DQMJ, which was probably done by nintendo because it looked like it was targeting 5 year olds.

Never seen ANY *official* advertising for DQ on the Web. Just stuff on Youtube (like Saigan) and here at the Den.

Slimeknights.com was on the Web. And it was amazing.

Don't forget that abysmal commercial with Seth Green for DQ IX. And I would like to say, I didn't know about DQMJ before that commercial, silly as it might have been.

Of course I was being sarcastic.

Yeah, they had some advertising, but it's mostly an afterthought. I don't remember much advertising for DQ games, and if I did, it wasn't very well done. DQ7 had that ad in magazines of mostly talking about that there is only 1 island in the world. Yeah, that's riveting advertising, people would really want to flock to that. I guess they wanted to talk about the story a little bit which is big in RPGs usually. Also, with DQ7's graphics being sub-par to other RPGs at the time, I guess they didn't want to advertise in-game screenshots. I'm pretty sure if I was not a DQ fan and saw the ad in a magazine, it wouldn't really entice me to get it.

And DQ9 was the only game I saw that had a US commercial (I never did see a DQ8 commercial). That seems to be a big way to put the game out there. Cause it usually seems with all the advertising on the Internet, the people who see and notice it probably already know about the game. I doubt that Twitter contest for DQ6 really got new people to try it out. Even Nintendo World in NYC didn't do a DQ6 launch party. They obviously did a DQ9 one, not sure about DQ4 and DQ5, but I would guess they did not have one for those.

NINTENDO did a few good things in the marketing of DQIX. I think they did with 6 as well, but I didn't play that too much.

I never, NEVER saw ANYTHING ANYTHING for DQ4 or DQ5. Not even a banner ad. Just a release.

• Upvote 1

NINTENDO did a few good things in the marketing of DQIX. I think they did with 6 as well, but I didn't play that too much.

I never, NEVER saw ANYTHING ANYTHING for DQ4 or DQ5. Not even a banner ad. Just a release.

That's because Nintendo handled IX and VI whereas IV and V were Square Enix's responsibility, and we have already discussed in length how little SE has done to promote Dragon Quest.

So little.

Of course I was being sarcastic.

Yeah, they had some advertising, but it's mostly an afterthought. I don't remember much advertising for DQ games, and if I did, it wasn't very well done. DQ7 had that ad in magazines of mostly talking about that there is only 1 island in the world. Yeah, that's riveting advertising, people would really want to flock to that. I guess they wanted to talk about the story a little bit which is big in RPGs usually. Also, with DQ7's graphics being sub-par to other RPGs at the time, I guess they didn't want to advertise in-game screenshots. I'm pretty sure if I was not a DQ fan and saw the ad in a magazine, it wouldn't really entice me to get it.

And DQ9 was the only game I saw that had a US commercial (I never did see a DQ8 commercial). That seems to be a big way to put the game out there. Cause it usually seems with all the advertising on the Internet, the people who see and notice it probably already know about the game. I doubt that Twitter contest for DQ6 really got new people to try it out. Even Nintendo World in NYC didn't do a DQ6 launch party. They obviously did a DQ9 one, not sure about DQ4 and DQ5, but I would guess they did not have one for those.

I do remember seeing a commercial for DQ8 around it's release(even a member from inthe00s told me he saw it as well). I don't think it ran for too long though.

The fortune street commericals were terrible. Majority of DQ6's marketing was done in print or on the internet. I've seen quite a bit of DQ commercials on places like cartoon network and comedy central. however they really pushed the budget with DQIX because those seth green commercials were everywhere. And it really helped.

... Just why DID they close Slime Knights, anyway?