Ryu's Rants - Square Enix Redux

You all by now have seen what has happened to Saigan.

It's time to send a message to the entity that is now Square-Enix.

We're tired of having to go through VPNs and pitfalls to PAY to play DQX. We're tired of never hearing news on any DQ or JRPG release. We're tired of being treated like a secondary market.

I say, with their money and resources, they can damn well afford to drop a dime to say "Yeah, sorry fans, we're not bringing the remake of the first Dragon Quest Monsters to America." or "Yes, we're working on a localization of Dragon Quest 7 3DS with the intentions of bringing it worldwide.", or even "Yes, we're working hard on getting -all- our titles to your shores. We care about you." And these are just them -saying- it. A word, a syllable, but what do we get?

Nothing.

Last year, due to an earlier rant and an idea, Redneck went a bit further on an idea I had and he went with a buddy and made a website with the intent of getting Square-Enix to say -something- about DQ7, or really, any game.

http://blog.operationedenverse.com/

I say we go further. Let's flood the DQ MiiVerses on the JP side and tell them what Square Enix are doing to us. Let's FLOOD THEIR MAIL with our complaints, our missives. Let's send them letters through SNAIL MAIL (( If someone can send me a link to the US offices, possibly the president's office, I'd love to send them one. )) to show them.

And let's do one further. Let's boycott the company.

That is correct. I think we should not support a company that does not support us.

It's time, friends. Let's show that we are NOT a secondary market. Rally! Fight! Let's show them what kind of a Sizzle we can produce.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You all by now have seen what has happened to Saigan.   It's time to send a message to the entity that is now Square-Enix.     We're tired of having to go through VPNs and pitfalls to PAY to play

I appreciate the support guys, but sending angry emails probably won't do anything. Polite messages stressing the importance of a strong fan community being supported by the publishers will probably d

Saigan probably advertised DQ more than SE did for America in the last 10+ years. Guess they couldn't allow that for some reason.

I say we go further. Let's flood the DQ MiiVerses on the JP side and tell them what Square Enix are doing to us. Let's FLOOD THEIR MAIL with our complaints, our missives. Let's send them letters through SNAIL MAIL (( If someone can send me a link to the US offices, possibly the president's office, I'd love to send them one. )) to show them.

How about getting fans of the other games that Square Enix Publishes aware to the fact that the same could happen to them down the road. Also would sending stuff to the series creator Yuji Horii garner us anything?

And let's do one further. Let's boycott the company.

That is correct. I think we should not support a company that does not support us.

It's time, friends. Let's show that we are NOT a secondary market. Rally! Fight! Let's show them what kind of a Sizzle we can produce.

Don't know how I would boycott seeing as how the only game series that I have any interest in that they publish is Dragon Quest.

We have people here who go out of their way to import copies of DQX, even MUSIC CDS.

But they do not matter, to Square-Enix. They are only yen.

We are not yen. :|

I appreciate the support guys, but sending angry emails probably won't do anything. Polite messages stressing the importance of a strong fan community being supported by the publishers will probably do more. Secondly, trying to stir up a boycott is also likely to be unsuccessful; the majority of SE fans who exist outside the DQ fandom are kept pretty well sated with a constant drop of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the support guys, but sending angry emails probably won't do anything. Polite messages stressing the importance of a strong fan community being supported by the publishers will probably do more. Secondly, trying to stir up a boycott is also likely to be unsuccessful; the majority of SE fans who exist outside the DQ fandom are kept pretty well sated with a constant drop of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

You can be angry and polite. Its called being firm. 

It's pretty obvious they aren't swayed by "Please.". We need to be firm.

"To whom it may concern: I've been buying your products from the years of Final Fantasy Legend for the Gameboy. I am shocked and appalled by the amount of titles that your company doesn't even say exist publicly in America. It makes me feel like I'm part of a secondary market when I can't even play an imported copy of Dragon Quest X after buying it from your Japanese online store. Please do something about this, even having your US-based sections saying that either games are or are not coming. We aren't all interested in Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts. There are more titles in your exhaustive catalog of RPGs. Thank you."

Strong language, but not "RAGGA RAGGA RAGGA."

But Bravely Default is such an awesome game...

(Though I wondered if that wasn't also for them an occaision to test the waters for future RPG localisation, among them being DQVII...)

Seriously, boycotting them can only have the opposite effect. Why should they send us any new RPGs to us if we don't even care ? That's not how you'll move their greedy hearts !

The only thing we can do is show them that we are a potential market, as long (or less long, in some cases) time Dragon Quest fans. Not sure about DQIX's sales, but we have to let them known that, even without huge marketing campaign, they will have profit.

Yes, it's cynical to resume our fandom to this, but I have absolutely no doubt that it's all that count for SE's higher ups.

It's hard to still be enthusiastic in this situation...

Oh, and you know what makes me sad ? DQVIII was the first DQ Game localised in EU (and FFVII for FF, but I'm sure DQVIII translation was far superior.) So for us, it's even more important.

Edited by Holy Slime Knight

We don't need to rally for anything because they've already shot themselves in the foot. Besides an hour or two of DQIX every now and then I haven't played any DQ since Joker 2, over two years ago. I love this series, I love it a lot, but with nothing new going on, my interest faded after my 3rd or so self-imposed challenge run of DQ8.

Edited by Spikan

Boycotting Dragon Quest games is just plain stupid. It is just dumb. They won't care. It is already a mid-to-low performing series in terms of sales and boycotting will make certain of never seeing a new release again.

Many of us still want more Dragon Quest games. Don't *try* (not that any of you guys would succeed) to ruin it for everyone else.

I didn't say boycott the DQ series, I said boycott the entire company.

<br />The only thing we can do is show them that we are a potential market, as long (or less long, in some cases) time Dragon Quest fans. Not sure about DQIX's sales, but we have to let them known that, even without huge marketing campaign, they will have profit.<br /><br />Yes, it's cynical to resume our fandom to this, but I have absolutely no doubt that it's all that count for SE's higher ups.<br /><br />

<br /><br />We live in a capitalist society and SE is a business. If profit wasn't a driving concern, they wouldn't be in business. Just the pragmatic truth...

Nintendo tried collecting royalties from people's LPs not too long ago. They backtracked because of the negative press. That was on a large scale though. As upsetting as this probably sounds, a successful small-scale boycott of a company on the other side of the world from a small fanbase over a probably isolated incident won't catch steam the way it did with Nintendo, which affected a large majority. 

This.^

Saigan probably advertised DQ more than SE did for America in the last 10+ years. Guess they couldn't allow that for some reason.

<br /><br />If more than 100,000 westerners are playing Dragon Quest at any one time, the seals binding Yuji Hori to his mortal form will be broken, and it will usher in a new age of darkness. SE is doing us a favor.

Who said losing his mortal form would cause him to stop making DQ games? He could be immortal and still be on earth, making the legendary games he  was born to make. For much, much, longer.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Glad there are a few rational people here... I had to chime in because i've seen this crap on other sites and it needs to not get out of hand. Boycotting is one of the least productive things we could possibly do at this point in the game. Like what Plattym3 said above me, Square Enix is a business, and if they won't answer to fans, you can sure as hell bet they will answer to money. Let's face it, we dropped the freakin' ball on Joker 2 and DQVI, no wonder Square was hesitant. No wonder they or Nintendo didn't come right out with the next announcement. People weren't begging in droves for the next DQ game. They were begging for Bravely Default, and they got it. As a community, the DQ fan base is small and quiet, so locking ourselves out of the situation because of one automated copyright claim and some Japanese Square Enix support peeps not giving two slimes about what some random gadabout on the Internet has to say is a TERRIBLE idea. And it shouldn't take a minstrel to notice that.

Bottom line is, if you want to increase the odds of Future DQ titles. We need Bravely Default to sell. We need to remind Square-Enix and Nintendo that there IS a market for Quality Handheld JRPGs. We need to speak with the most powerful thing on the planet. MONEY BABY. So try to stuff all this negativity into the nearest Urnexpected and focus on what will do us more good than harm.

I think if Bravely Default sells, it won't mean more DQ, it'll mean more Final Fantasy.

If you mean For the Sequel, I believe that's the version we're getting.

If you mean For the Sequel, I believe that's the version we're getting.

I was and it is. Shame that the same company that is giving us the enhanced version of the original Bravely Default couldn't give us DQMJ 2 Pro...

They didn't want to give us a... well, DQM came out before Pokemon, but Pokemon has overtaken it...

Which would be the clone? 

I guess I should say they don't want to give us a game like Pokemon when Pokemon obviously sells leaps and bounds better than DQM in the US.