Sign in to follow this  
MoonRider

Overplay servers finally useless?

I noticed today that Overplay have removed the only japanese server that still worked (Server Tokyo 4) for using DQX service outside of Japan. What are other people on this forum who use that service doing now? I'm not sure where to go from here, still wanting to play the game and all.

• Upvote 1

When I talked to them they said it was blocked upstream or something, but yeah they don't have a fix for that any time soon. You can get a refund if you talk to them about it.

I switched to IPVanish. I have been using them for a few months now and ot has been much more reliable than Overplay ever was anyway.

^I'm very interested in IPVanish Mimas, how hard are they to set up? Even though Overplay's service was horrible, I really appreciated the dd-wrt app they had for easy "on/off" VPN access for the whole router.

Edited by MoonRider

Wait, so...  This means SE is actively targeting VPN players, right?  If Overplay's server was specifically banned by SE?

OVP's tokyo servers are in linode and amazon EC2 farms... the gold farmers were probably using the same services and abused it enough to get the whole things blocked.

I need to figure something out :/

SoftEther works pretty well and since there are varying servers it should help out with the IP bans that may be occurring. Generally, it isn't too bad. Also, the latency I get from the states for IPVanish was pretty significant, so I opted out of using their services. However, that's just my personal experience. Mimas might have much better results. 

Edited by Ashes

Well I guess as is, I'm not going to be able to play until I can get a new computer and run it from there, as the one I have now doesn't work with the whole making a hotspot into your own seperate VPN connection-thing. At least I can look forward to the faster frame rates and for the most part lack of disconnects compared to the Wii version. :\

The worst part about this whole is the fact that, to me at least, this game is the most engaging and fun MMO I've played since 2004-2010 Final Fantasy XI, and I'm literally willin to throw my money, aggressively, into their corporate faces just to play it; yet they would still rather lock US players out based on social stipulations.

EDIT: Not to mention all the Friend requests I've been unable to send to forum members for MONTHS just because of VPN problems (and the costs I spent trying to alleviate them).

Edited by MoonRider

Wait, so SoftEther doesn't work for your computer? I haven't had to create a hotspot or anything for it to work on mine. Have you tried bridging the connections to see if that works for you?

I haven't tried SoftEther because I assumed it only applied the VPN locally (as in a single computer); you can bridge it to run over a router? If so that's got me pretty excited! :D

EDIT: I got too excited, I think I read that wrong. I think you meant did I try bridging the connection between the hot spot and VPN when doing that method, and I did, but it was more the fact that the programs I tried to create hotspots with never worked properly to begin with; probably due to my older network card or something.

Edited by MoonRider

You should try SoftEther just straight install and running it. It may do the trick and you don't have to mess with any adapter settings. It might do the trick for you.

So I downloaded the software, and right from the start I've been having problems. First of all, apparently the server included as a default test (the japanese one) has been shutdown, and an advertisement popped up to let me know how to connect to the new provider, and different benefits this included. I couldn't figure out how to create a new connection for this new Japanese server, so I read up on how to program works. From what I could gather it creates a local VPN connection like I thought, but clearly there is a way to make it wirelessly accessible (by something like the Wii for example).

Ill keep trying to figure it out, really want to continue playing.

Edited by MoonRider

Yes, I downloaded it from the softether website, although maybe its an older version; going to try again in a few minutes.

So you guys can't just play it, even though you pay for it?

No, I for one can't play it right now. I finally got SoftEther to work (hard downloaded an ancient, ancient version without the VPN Gate). However it still doesn't work because it only creates a local connection, and I play on Wii so I need to be able to wirelessly connect to my VPN in order to get on the game.

ohhh sorry. I didn't realize you played through your wii. Sorry. :(

Here is probably what your problem is with SoftEther.  I runs local on your computer.

For the Wii, you need to share the connection from your computer to the Wii.

However, a wireless connection can't share itself with another wireless connection.

What I mean is, if your computer wirelessly gets its internet from a router or cable modem, it can't then share that wireless connection with another wireless device.

You are either going to need to have your computer have a wired connection to the Internet, and then share that connection through your wireless card, or you are going to have to get a Wii LAN adapter, and have the Wii wired to your computer.  Then the computer can get it's Internet through it's wireless card, and share the connection through the LAN connection to the Wii.  But Wireless trying to share Wireless isn't going to work.

You also need to make sure you set up sharing in Windows.  Well, that's assuming you're on a Windows machine.

Edited by Cranberry

^I remembered the rules about sharing wireless connections from when the game first came out, and we were all trying to make hotspot based connections to the game. I wasn't entirely clear how the program SoftEther worked, and I thought Ashes was saying it was like the Overplay VPN app which is able to connect and disconnect through the router itself at will.

I think what I'm going to do for now is buy a Wii LAN adapter, and share the VPN by connecting it directly through my computer as you said.

Though optimally, my real goal will be getting the PC version, as the Wii one is riddled with problems, especially with people trying to work the installation of 2.0 (and general self corrupting of its files, which was already a big issue).

Thanks for all the help; Ashes, Mimas, Cranberry; we've got a nice community here! :D

Edited by MoonRider