Sign in to follow this  
momoslime

PS2 Emulator

I'm looking for a good emulator so I can play DQ8 without a PlayStation 2 (my parents won't let me get one :P)  However, I'm worried about getting junk on my computer.  Does anyone know (preferably from experience) of a safe-ish emulator and DQ8 rom?  Thanks.

• Upvote 2

At this point, purchasing a PS2 would be cheaper and easier than setting up PCSX2.

• Upvote 2

What kind of PC do you have?  If it is reasonably modern, you can run DQ8 on PCSX2 at full speed with no issues and no messy configuration required.

That being said, there are some pre-requisites:

1) You need to have a PS2 Bios file to run the emulator.  This does not come with the emulator, you must find one yourself (I can help you here)

2) You need the DQ8 ISO or the disc.  The ISO is 4GB (I might be able to help you here too, but it's a lot to upload...)

If you are good with everything so far, let me know and I can talk you through it.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking for a good emulator so I can play DQ8 without a PlayStation 2 (my parents won't let me get one :P)  However, I'm worried about getting junk on my computer.  Does anyone know (preferably from experience) of a safe-ish emulator and DQ8 rom?  Thanks.

They won't let you get one? What is the $40 to them, a years savings? 

• Upvote 1

There's emulators for the PS2 on http://emulator-zone.com/.

And red, if you look at cannock_princess's profile, you will see she is 16. :w Her parents are likely "Fearful of using their debit cards" on anything but a Wal-Mart. And likely even there.

Money isn't an issue. But you can't just buy crap with a prepaid Visa from Ebay anymore. You gotta have a verified card of some kind. I'm gonna have to use my college pre-paid debit soon enough 'cause it has my name on it. :/

Dwaine has a point, however. Press your parents, if your PC isn't pretty damn new, that emulator's gonna be wonky. Shouldn't be a problem since Ebay itself has a two-sided protection wall.

Edited by Ryu
  • Upvote 1

There's emulators for the PS2 on http://emulator-zone.com/.

And red, if you look at cannock_princess's profile, you will see she is 16. :w Her parents are likely "Fearful of using their debit cards" on anything but a Wal-Mart. And likely even there.

Money isn't an issue. But you can't just buy crap with a prepaid Visa from Ebay anymore. You gotta have a verified card of some kind. I'm gonna have to use my college pre-paid debit soon enough 'cause it has my name on it. :/

Dwaine has a point, however. Press your parents, if your PC isn't pretty damn new, that emulator's gonna be wonky. Shouldn't be a problem since Ebay itself has a two-sided protection wall.

Really? I find it odd only because my mother is 71 and has no issues ordering online. Like she says, once its used at a store, its in the eternal system of computers around the world.

• Upvote 1

Heck, just buy one from Target, I hear their credit card system is foolproof.

I'm looking for a good emulator so I can play DQ8 without a PlayStation 2 (my parents won't let me get one :P) However, I'm worried about getting junk on my computer. Does anyone know (preferably from experience) of a safe-ish emulator and DQ8 rom? Thanks.

And since no one else's mind went there, I'll just say it: I worry constantly about people putting their junk on my computer ;-)

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I just got new cards because of that deal

Yeah, I just got new cards because of that deal

My new job & baby helped us Dodge that bullet. After the baby came, I was thrown a baby shower and received a large Target gift card. It lasted us from Halloween through Christmas, so we didn't use a credit card there during the affected times.

They won't let you get one? What is the $40 to them, a years savings? 

It's not the money.  They don't want me getting "another device" even though I try to tell them it would be attached to the TV, yada yada yada...

Wow. I'm sorry your parents are like that.

It will change, one day.

Any thoughts on whether you want to try emulating?

Any thoughts on whether you want to try emulating?

I've already emulated a bunch of other games (mostly Pokemon, since I don't want to delete my saves).  I've used VisualBoy Advance and DesMuMe, so I've got a little experience.

Ok, cool.  Well if you want to give this a shot, head over to the PCSX2 site, download the latest emulator and let me know when you are ready to start setting it up.

Could you help me out too?  I was thinking about trying the PS2 version of DQV but I need to set up the emulator.

Also, where can I find the translation.

Edited by Darth Nokturnus

No problem at all.  Get that emulator downloaded and we can get you set up. 

As for the patch, you can find it here.  Let me know if you have problems with the crocko links and I can mirror the patches elsewhere.

Ok, I sent you a PM.  Let me know once you have the bios extracted and added into your PCSX2 directory.  Also, make sure you have a PS2 ISO or disc to test with before we go any further.

Sorry about the delay.  Now that you have the bios, launch the emulator and follow the initial setup wizard to choose a bios and to select plugins for everything.  Any bios will do, but I usually use a USA one.

Once you have gone through the wizard, let me know if you had any problems.  Once that's all set up, we can try launching a game and checking performance.  If performance seems slow at first, we have a lot of options for how to tweak things for extra speed.

I'm having a problem with the ISO rebuilder for the patch.  The instructions say to drag and drop the file but every time I do that the rebuilder closes.  Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Edit:  Never mind.  I figured out the problem.

Edited by Darth Nokturnus
  • Upvote 1

whew, sorry to leave this for so long.  Had a very busy week.  That's great that you have the rebuilder working now.  Have you been able to apply the patch too?

If so, where are you at now with the emulator? Is it up and running now?

You get the map ok, or did it freeze? (I don't think we've actually confirmed whether the bug is fixed or if some people have just been lucky, myself included.)

Awesome, glad to hear it!