Ashes

Getting started on PC

Been trying to play the trial, but it keeps giving me some message when I try to log into the game leading me to this webpage http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/news/detail/6cd67d9b6f0150c77bda2eda01ae484c/

Any ideas whats up?  Is it the VPN im using the University one?

There is nothing wrong with your VPN from what you are saying. That is just the general anti-fishing warning it always pops up. You can press the 1 key I think, or its equivalent to get past it to the game.

Ill try it again but when I go past it, it gives me some messages in white down below then stops the game.  Ill screenshot and put it up.

Edit: Here mimas.  http://s28.postimg.org/ykltqnxn1/DQ1.jpg

http://s27.postimg.org/y9afivqlv/DQ2.jpg

Edited by Alexandrious

The first screen translates to something like

"You can't play in guest mode, because there is no character to play with on your online acccount".

Working on the second now...

Second screen (I hope environment refers to something in-game):

Please register a new player in this game or use character from the environment it was playing in first.
Please log out and return to the main menu.

Edit: It might be region lock message. As far as I know DQX PC is region locked.
Edited by Sk8erpunq

What the....hmm..maybe I have to go to offline mode somehow first...

You probably clicked on the Big Red button in the launcher, which is for online mode only (once you created a character in offline mode first). Which is odd, since the first time you should get a launcher like the one below with a yellow game registration button instead, but it has happened to a few people:

win01_4_08.jpg?var=2013090926

Since you probably don't have this launcher settings, simply click on the button on the bottom-left (the long one, not the small one) and after you click it, you should get the following screen:

img20140327_1_5.jpg

Click the left option, which is to connect your Japanese Square Enix account (the same one you used during the registration process for DQX).

If everything went well, you should get the registration launcher like in the image above. Ignore Step 1, since that is to register a purchased game code. Simply fill in step 2 with your Japanese Square Enix account credentials and you should be automatically taken to the character creation screen. Once done, you should see a blue button in the launcher (under the big red one), which is the offline mode, like shown below:

win01_5_05.jpg

And Sk8erpunq is right about those messages, though it has nothing to do with region locking. At least from what I can read from the get-go, it simply says you can't play online as a guest player and to first make a character offline, and that you can also register a previously created character from any of the DQX environments (PC, Wii, Wii U, etc).

Edited by Flute_Warrior

Yea I messed around with it and figured it out before I saw the post.  Thanks though guys.  Gotta say game runs perfectly at max settings, ridiculously high frame rates, Low end PCs could run this game no problem im sure, just needs 2 gigs of ram, decent cheap 50-100 dollar video card and a processor of around 80-200 dollars, computer of 400 dollarish worth really and it should run DQX perfectly at max settings.  More and more reasons why SE should just localize it to us, many many people would be able to access it.  

I was really surprised how well optimized it is, mind you it IS a Wii game, so I guess none of us were thinking it would require a topend computer.

Glad you got it all sorted out! Sorry I didn't check the den forums for a few days as I had a bunch of things I was getting done before Saigan's stream. 

Updated with additional info at the end.

With the up block gone someone said this guide had dated links but it's all still current. I removed the foreign credit card thing and vpn reference. I will update again if a vpn is still needed.

I'm assuming we need the one time password to even progress further. No thanks. Those things cost 10-11 dollars. I don't want to pay that much for as trial of a game I'm not even going to be able to fully enjoy(being that it is in Japanese).

You don't need a 1 time password to start the free trial.  It really is free to try it out.

One time password is optional AND it's free if you have an iPhone or android

wont need it, though I do like those slime Authenticators, if we ever get it in the west though my old FFXIV 1.0 authenticator will work regardless. Never did open the 2.0 CE box I bought just to collect.  

Sighs. I miss the game, but I dont have time to devote to playing FFXIV the way it must be played anymore. 

I'm having trouble setting up the subscription. When I use the links provided in the guide to set up the subscription or add game keys, I am sent to the page which asks you to enter a game key and it says I am currently using the trial version. 

Is it asking me to enter my trial version game key? Where do I find that?

It wont let me go to any other pages except the overall square enix account page, but I couldn't modify my DQ account information except for basic info.

I'm really stuck here. I have 5000 crysta and I just want them to take my money!

You need the full game before you can pay for a sub

Is that part of the 'adding a game key' step? As soon as I log in with the link in that step, it asks for a game key and doesn't provide a link to buy the game. :(

Where can I buy it?

Amazon.co.jp is where most of us have bought it or play-asia. Amazcon.co.jp has the benefit of not paying an import markup, but you can try the square-enix japan online store if you 'd like. I haven't had any luck with it. I haven't tried again since June though, so it may work now.

Okay thank you! That clears up a lot of confusion :D

Edit: Japanese Amazon worked out. Wasn't too bad setting it up either. I couldn't enter a correct billing address though, but it didn't seem to matter, I got the cd key anyway.

Edited by faijin

So on the subject of buying the game, I noticed Amazon.jp have the only Downloadable only copy of the All In One Package which comes out August 7th (unless I missed anything which I wouldn't put past me  :P ). Square's official store is only selling physical copies I think. 

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00KYKUSEE/

It only is accepting pre-orders from Japanese addresses, but. So, I figured I put in my Japanese address for now, but when the time comes for the game to bill me, I assume Amazon will realize my card doesn't match the address and cancel the transaction. Hoping Japanese-only download is just a temporary thing, but do you guys know?

I assumed it'd be best for new player to get this version since it will come with the expansions.

Did you put in a Japanese address as a billing or shipping address?  If the billing address does not match the billing address of the card, the credit card company is going to reject the transaction.

None of us here have the authority to speak on behalf of Amazon or Square-Enix, but I would not hold my breath hoping that they release the "Japanese only" restriction on it.

I'm getting an error that says that my Square Enix account (which is a Japanese account) isn't registered DQX.  How do I fix that?

This sounds like a case of not having the game key registered.  Were you able to complete that step?

Edited by Cranberry

Yeah you'll need to follow the guide step by step. If you do you'll automatically have the trial key applied to your account.

As for purchasing through amazon call your credit card company first so they can flag your account and prevent authorization blocks of your purchase. If not it'll create many issue during your purchase. I used a hotel address for my address on amazon and no problems yet. Again, Talk to your credit card BEFORE you purchase it will save youa headache and the purchase will go through within a hour usually 30 minutes.

After a few purchases mines instant now.