Ashes

Getting started on PC

Check out the link megathread too. We have links to guides there for VPNs that den members have written along with many answer to common questions.

Easily one of the most helpful things I've read here. I might still be trying to figure it all out if it wasn't for this!

Glad it was helpful!

I'm in Japan for 3 more months and looking to try this while I'm here.  I just wanted to say thanks for putting this helpful start guide together.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but do we know if character information can be ported between game versions?  For example, I'm picking up the PS4 version while I'm here over the summer and I want to know if the character I create in the trial version will still work for the PS4.  I know we may not know that yet, but if there are other versions such as PC to Wii-U character transfer, it could be indicative of how it will work with the PS4.  Thanks.

Can a trial character be ported to the paid version or should I skip straight to the paid version once I create my trial account?

Yes to both questions. Your single account drives it all and stores the characters. That said it means you only have 3 character slots total initially. There is a subscription plan for more character slots up to 5.

One more thing about the PS4 version - it will only use the more expensive (1500 yen/mo) 5 character plan, so you won't be able to use the plan from PC/Wii. That said, if you pay the subscription fee on the PS4, it should work the other way (at least the official site doesn't mention that it won't).

One more thing about the PS4 version - it will only use the more expensive (1500 yen/mo) 5 character plan, so you won't be able to use the plan from PC/Wii. That said, if you pay the subscription fee on the PS4, it should work the other way (at least the official site doesn't mention that it won't).

I don't think so. The fee is totally separate for the PS4. For some reason it is not like the PC, Wii, Wii U, and Switch which share the fee.

You're right, after reading Japanese blog posts which popped up after the announcement, it's clear that the PS4 subscription is completely separate.

This is so weird, especially coming from a company which released FFXI and FFXIV, which have one subscription fee per platform.

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not.

I'm having a problem with a Japanese Square Enix Account. I can create an account, but once i'm logged in, when i go to my account settings, it asks for my date of birth. It says the date I entered is wrong. At first I thought, i must've messed this up. I've created a total of 3 Square Enix accounts now and have the exact same problem every time. I'm sure i'm entering the same date of birth that I did at account creation.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any ideas of what I could do? Thanks!!

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not.

I'm having a problem with a Japanese Square Enix Account. I can create an account, but once i'm logged in, when i go to my account settings, it asks for my date of birth. It says the date I entered is wrong. At first I thought, i must've messed this up. I've created a total of 3 Square Enix accounts now and have the exact same problem every time. I'm sure i'm entering the same date of birth that I did at account creation.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any ideas of what I could do? Thanks!!

Are using US customary Month-Date-Year or the more widely used International convention, Date-Month-Year?

ok, nevermind, i put in the same info an hour or so later, and it worked fine. That was strange.

The Square Enix Account creation page has changed since the guide was written. It no longer asks for address or phone # information. Does anyone know, is that somehting i'll need to add later on? I assumed when I went to my account page it would be there, but after finally getting past the date of birth page, the only options were to change password or email address? Thanks again.

EDIT: Wow, it is so amazing to play this game after reading about it all these years! Thanks so much everyone who's put together the guides in Dragon Quest X forums!! 

Edited by Thany

Hi, second time trying to login, i got an error message that gave this web link. Anyone gotten this before?

http://support.jp.square-enix.com/main.php?id=2620&la=0

Edit: The error code is DQ-10009-W when i try to launch the game. Googling this error message people seem to be discussing about connecting online or about a firewall. I have VPN running I used a website to make sure, I am online, I have Windows Firewall off, I'm not sure what else to try?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Thany

Hi, second time trying to login, i got an error message that gave this web link. Anyone gotten this before?

http://support.jp.square-enix.com/main.php?id=2620&la=0

Edit: The error code is DQ-10009-W when i try to launch the game. Googling this error message people seem to be discussing about connecting online or about a firewall. I have VPN running I used a website to make sure, I am online, I have Windows Firewall off, I'm not sure what else to try?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The support website says that you might be having trouble with your firewall or security program on your computer blocking you.

Thank you. Eventually I realized the blizzard app wasn't able to go online either. And so it was clear that something was blocking apps although not web browsers. I've never had that problem before, so I can only assume that while trying to set up the AWS-Putty-ProxyCap situation, that I screwed something up. I had used vpngate the first time I played, but wanted to set up a w s because it sounded more permanent.

Is the AWS set up what most people use here? Is there another tutorial aside from the one on PSO World? I thought I followed it exactly, aside from using the DQX exe's, but obviously ended up screwing something up.

Thank you. Eventually I realized the blizzard app wasn't able to go online either. And so it was clear that something was blocking apps although not web browsers. I've never had that problem before, so I can only assume that while trying to set up the AWS-Putty-ProxyCap situation, that I screwed something up. I had used vpngate the first time I played, but wanted to set up a w s because it sounded more permanent.

Is the AWS set up what most people use here? Is there another tutorial aside from the one on PSO World? I thought I followed it exactly, aside from using the DQX exe's, but obviously ended up screwing something up.

The simplest way to test it is to point proxycap to the chrome browser exe and try browsing. I've been using AWS for a long time and I used that PSO tutorial. I may try to run a VPN on the AWS instance once I get the Switch version. But I am hesitant to do so since I like how with proxycap, you can run some things on your normal internet connection while other programs you can re-direct through AWS.

Thank you. Testing it on another app like chrome makes a lot of sense. I will try that. I'd like to get my IP situation worked out so I don't end up investing money in the game and then my account getting banned!

Thank you. Testing it on another app like chrome makes a lot of sense. I will try that. I'd like to get my IP situation worked out so I don't end up investing money in the game and then my account getting banned!

It won't get banned but if your ip changes, the system requests a password reset which is annoying. It can be avoided by using the 1 time password app to generate passwords for each login but I am too lazy to enter them.

I did the Chrome test with ProxyCap, it caused Google to stop working. I did the same thing with Profifier, and it worked! Yay!!!!!

For Dragon Quest X, do I just add all the exe's in the installation folder as rules? Is there an order to do it?

I did the Chrome test with ProxyCap, it caused Google to stop working. I did the same thing with Profifier, and it worked! Yay!!!!!

For Dragon Quest X, do I just add all the exe's in the installation folder as rules? Is there an order to do it?

If it was working correctly with Chrome, Goggle should work so I don't understand that part. Just add the exe's. Order doesn't matter.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. Essentially I couldn't get it to work with ProxyCap but was with Proxifier. Thank you for your help.

I had one other question I can't seem to locate the answer to, how do you take screenshots in game? I thought I saw that it was F12 and then Print Screen but that didn't seem to do anything for me?

Sorry, I worded that poorly. Essentially I couldn't get it to work with ProxyCap but was with Proxifier. Thank you for your help.

I had one other question I can't seem to locate the answer to, how do you take screenshots in game? I thought I saw that it was F12 and then Print Screen but that didn't seem to do anything for me?

I use an Xbox game controller and I took some screen shots using it but the triggers you push escapes my memory at this moment. The pictures go into your in game album which you can use for various purposes.

Yes, for me it was holding down the Jump button, thanks!

So the screenshots are only stored in an in-game menu? I dug thru my hard drive for a while looking for them but couldn't find them.

Edit: Nvmd, found them on that website:)

Edited by Thany

(Please also enter registration code for trial version and net cafe here)

This is on my JP account to play DQX, all the guides are out-dated and I can't get past this. Is there any updated information about this? 

When downloading from Amazon  1.    Open the Download Software Library page of the account service from the "Download library" button on the right side of the Amazon download page

(login to Amazon is required) 

2. "Dragon Quest X Awakening Five Tribes Online Free Trial Version 

3. Press the Confirm Serial Key button. 3. 

Record the registered registration code of 20 characters. 4. Log in to the Astur Tier Immigration Bureau and register the 20-character registration code you saw in 3. 

* The Astor Tier Immigration Bureau can open from the button below or the link on the right side of the Windows launcher.

The free trial is only through Amazon now it seems, because I can't get into the game any other way. It just says my account is unregistered.

EDIT: you must VPN from Japan to download the Amazon free trial. 

EDIT2: You need to supply Amazon JP with your credit card(if they will accept) and they need a shipping address even though it is a free purchase. 

Please someone give me an updated version of how to play DQX free trial. You all keep linking out-dated tutorials that are of no value in 2017 :(. Square Enix has since changed their website and how this is done.

I just don't feel right about using someones' address in Japan to download the free trial. Now it seems to be easier to buy the all in one package digitally so you don't need a Japanese shipping address :/. 

Edited by Chiramu

Just to double check, the only way to set up the subscription is through SE right? I was hoping to buy a DQX subscription card so I don't have to worry about using another service. However, I can't seem to find anything like that on Amazon.

You have to go through Square-Enix on PC.  On Switch it can be bought with money in your E-Store account.  I'd assume the same is true for PS4 and PSN.  But there are no pre-paid DQX subscription cards.