Cranberry

Dragon's Den Team

Hey guys!

I'm leaving you this message just to let you know that due to Covid-19 my wife and I lost our jobs so we need to focus on getting new jobs to pay our bills.That means that unfortunately I'm not going to log in on game as often as I used to do but that doesn't mean I'm quitting the game or Dragon's Den team, this is just a little pause I need to take to fix things in real life but since I had my subscription paid until August 1st, I'll log in from time to time and after that I'll see how things are going in my life to keep paying my subscription or to pause it for a few months. I'll just ask Cran, Dan and others Dragon's Den leaders to please won't kick me out from the team because I'm not quitting just taking a little pause to sort out things in real life, specially now that we all are living on these uncertain times. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this long message and I hope to see you all from time to time in game.

Regards,

てんし – Tenshi

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is not a message I was looking forward to writing, but it's one that is required at this point.

There's been problems with the Team Chat, and till now they were relatively minor.  But it's been a growing issue, enough that I've received numerous complaints about it.  Initially I was giving verbal reminders to people, but the issues have only grown and frankly the chat is becoming uncomfortably toxic.

It was one thing when we had people accidentally dropping story spoilers, but now I'm seeing racist comments, insulting other team members, and outright harassment.  This needs to stop immediately.

Nobody likes an overbearing moderator, I am not someone that wants to throw her weight around.  But my patience with these issues has worn thin and if I have to get heavy handed, then I will.  I can, will, and have, started issuing suspensions from the team for these issues.  As standard practice I will usually give a warning before I issue a suspension, but if the behavior is blatant enough, at my discretion I can skip the warning and go straight to a suspension.

We've had pretty lax rules to this point, I figured a lot of it was common sense stuff.  But I have always said that you needed to treat people with respect on the team:

-Be respectful of other Team Members:

The goal of this team is to be a welcoming place for other players.  While this team is certainly not limited to English players, it is the main entry point for pretty much the whole English community on this game.  As such, it is very important that we be respectful and tolerant, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because we are guests on a foreign game that mandates a certain level of respect and politeness from it's customers.  Us miss-behaving and not following this most basic of rules can put everyone at risk.  

-No racist, inappropriate, derogatory, or harassing messages in Team Chat:

This is pretty much tied into being respectful.  We've had cases of racist remarks being used, and harassment or "trolling" of other players.  I'll just lay this out.  I don't like bullies, and I have little tolerance for them.  Start bullying other team members, you won't last long.  If you have a personal issue with someone on the team, do your best to solve it outside of team chat.  If you need a mediator, you can reach out to me and I can work with both of you to try and settle the issue.  But don't start going after someone in team chat.

I will say I've seen racist comments in the chat before.  I will not tolerate this.  Anyone of any skin color and any heritage is allowed in the team as long as they are able to treat others with respect.  If certain types of people or heritages are an issue for you, than I'm going to be blunt.  This isn't the team for you and you should depart.  I won't budge on this one.

On a side note, I sometimes see this term used and people don't realize it's history.  But being this is a Japanese game I feel it's important to make people aware of it.  Please do not shorten Japanese to "Jap".  While not everyone is offended by it, it does have a history of being used as a racial slur and to this day there are some people that are really bothered by it.  Please use "JP" instead as the abbreviation.  This is a non-offensive term to everyone.

-Suspensions

Suspensions are issued at my discretion.  When you are suspended, you are removed from the team.  This does not have to be permanent.  Contact me with your character name and ID and I can inform you how long the suspension is for and you can be re-added when the suspension period is served. 

I may add to this later if I think of more.  I really do not want to become that moderator that has to start cracking the whip.  Nobody wants to be here under tight supervision and having their every move watched.  I do not want to have to start running monitoring services on the team chat so please take this message to heart and help me nip this in the bud before it becomes worse.  Nobody likes an oppressive moderator, but I do have to start tightening my fist on these growing issues.  The toxicity level of the chat is growing at an alarming rate and I can't allow it.

Edited by Cranberry
  • Like 1

You need to enlist Dwaine and his banhammer if it gets too bad ;)

You need to enlist Dwaine and his banhammer if it gets too bad
Cran has her fan to thwack people with. Having been thwacked before, I feel that it is sufficient.