A Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest Challenge

First off, hello everyone, whoever you may be! I'm new round these parts. I've been using Dragon's Den for a quite a while now and recently I realized there was a button near the header that said "forums". After pouring over the decades of posts that have accumulated here I began to feel inspired.

Inspired to do what, you ask?

Whelp, I've decided to take on the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series from Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES all the way through Dragon Quest IX on the NDS.

So far I've only made it to this point... :

tumblr_mxrp9mWrJt1qbsehto1_250.png

Thanks to things like a job and other non-videogamey life events. Long way to go yet!

If any of you would be interested I thought it would be neat to post little updates here and there as I make my way through the series. What better place than here, right? :)

• Upvote 3

Well, you're level 3 at least :P

Taking a run through all the games sounds pretty neat (I wanna say I've heard of a marathon or two that have taken a crack at that). There is a bit of a time investment, though, so you might have to spend a year or so getting through VII unless you get a hold of some vacation time, yo :P

I've been wanting to do something like that for a while. At first I was thinking Final Fantasy since I had never played any of them before but that would have been such a big commitment so instead I landed on Mega Man. But now I just have such a huge backlog of games that I need to sort through these before I can do anything else.

Welcome to the Den! That's a real challeng you got there. DQVII takes AGES to beat (but is definately more than worth it) and some of the other games are pretty dang long too. You'll be playing for quite a while. Good luck!

I think this is awesome, and I really hope you stick with it and keep us posted on your progress.  I love to hear what people think about the games as they play though them.

Welcome to the Den!

Good luck!

i'm currently playing through VI and VIII (again)

I do so want to play the original Dragon Warrior myself.

Keep us posted. If you do any Let's play or have any gameplay vids, please provide some links. I REALLy love watching others play DQ!

Well, you're level 3 at least :P

Taking a run through all the games sounds pretty neat (I wanna say I've heard of a marathon or two that have taken a crack at that). There is a bit of a time investment, though, so you might have to spend a year or so getting through VII unless you get a hold of some vacation time, yo :P

Oh, I know right? I once sat down to play VII and got about fifty or so hours in (so, you know 1/4 of the way) and my memory card battery died. Saddest day.

I've been wanting to do something like that for a while. At first I was thinking Final Fantasy since I had never played any of them before but that would have been such a big commitment so instead I landed on Mega Man. But now I just have such a huge backlog of games that I need to sort through these before I can do anything else.

Did you ever make any progress through the Mega Man series? :o

Welcome to the Den! That's a real challeng you got there. DQVII takes AGES to beat (but is definately more than worth it) and some of the other games are pretty dang long too. You'll be playing for quite a while. Good luck!

Thank you very much! I'm glad to be here. Aye. I'm 21 years old at the moment. I imagine I'll be somewhere in my mid twenties by the time I finish this marathon up. Maybe. My current day job keeps me either very busy or not very busy at all.

I think this is awesome, and I really hope you stick with it and keep us posted on your progress.  I love to hear what people think about the games as they play though them.

Welcome to the Den!

I will definitely keep you posted on my progress, heh. I only managed to get in a little bit of time for grinding since I threw up that screen shot, but not much. I'm still afraid to leave the area around Brecconary.

Good luck!

i'm currently playing through VI and VIII (again)

I do so want to play the original Dragon Warrior myself.

Keep us posted. If you do any Let's play or have any gameplay vids, please provide some links. I REALLy love watching others play DQ!

VI is the only one I haven't played outside of the first five minutes of the opening sequence. Gameplay vids may happen at some point down the road. At the moment my 6 year old Macbook can barely handle doing one thing at once.

Welcome to the Den. I've been around here forever and I still get inspired to do things video-gamewise by reading posts here. Congrats on taking on your challenge!

Yes, post here!

Double thanks! :D

All the warm welcomes ... warm ... my heart! I'm glad my Dragon Quest multiple world hopping MAD adventure is so appealing to ya'll.

Just the first two. Hoping to knock out a couple of other games before going back to it.

Just the first two. Hoping to knock out a couple of other games before going back to it.

Serious congratulations on beating Mega Man 1. Did you beat the Yellow Eye fellow in Wily's Castle legitimately or using the glitch method I've heard so much about?

Also! I have another little update. I've made it to a cave just north of Tantegel. I've got a couple of torches and a few levels under my belt. I've only taken a few steps in so far, and I'm a little bit afraid of what might jump out at me:

Dragon_Warrior_USA_2.png

I played Mega Man on the Virtual Console on my 3DS so I'm not sure if there's still even a glitch but I did beat him legitimately. Like the rest of the game I was raging at his difficulty but I got passed him after a while. After all that I was glad that Mega Man 2 was a bit more forgiving in its difficulty!

Also! I have another little update. I've made it to a cave just north of Tantegel. I've got a couple of torches and a few levels under my belt. I've only taken a few steps in so far, and I'm a little bit afraid of what might jump out at me:

Ha ha.  That is gold.  Please do give us your impressions after you are finished with that cave.  Glad to see you are not playing with a walkthrough.

I was going to say something about that, but seeing as you've apparently never played that game before now, I'll save it for later.

That reminds me that I should start replaying DQ3 one of these days. I tried the GB Version and enjoyed it, but for some reason I ended up never finishing it.

I found myself completely blocked at the beginning of DQ2

and didn't even pass the prologue of DQ1.

ANd, who kows, buy the time you'll reach DQ7, we may already have the 3DS Version here.

I've yet to play the original Dragon Warrior.

So I'm curious as to what the "E" at the bottom of the status menu stands for.

Experience, maybe?

Yes, that is the amount of experience you have gained so far

I was going to say something about that, but seeing as you've apparently never played that game before now, I'll save it for later.

I've played through and beaten Dragon Quest 1 and 2's Super Famicom versions a long time ago, but I can't recall much from either outside of vague details. The cave was not as menacing as my imagination had made it out to be. Outside of my character smacking his face into walls over and over again nothing came at me. I ended up finding the tablet left to me by Erdrick and now have a vague understanding of what I need to do. I have to go find 3 things hidden across the world! Woo!

Now if only I could save up enough money for a damn copper sword...

Dragon_Warrior_USA_3.png

Notice how you didn't fight monsters in that cave? I always do that cave right off the bat at level 1, lol.

Here's a link to a little footage of my gameplay. I decided to stop grinding for gold to get a copper sword and instead traveled East and up to Kol. The first time I attempted it a Magidrakee fried me into pieces. The second time I managed to make it all the way there... only to walk around, get a little more info, and then turn around and hoof it all the way back to Alefgard, because of the low inn cost and the relative distance to the Magician's who give me the same amount of gold the Drakee's do while casting less.

did I mention I love this game?

>_>;;

Notice how you didn't fight monsters in that cave? I always do that cave right off the bat at level 1, lol.

Aye! It was just so... ominous. It's a hole the size of the villages in the middle of a desert. Scar-y.

Edited by Zakira92

A little tip, don't use the inn in breconnary. Instead, use the heal spell and then talk to the old man in the southeastern corner of tantagel to restore MP.

A little tip, don't use the inn in breconnary. Instead, use the heal spell and then talk to the old man in the southeastern corner of tantagel to restore MP.

That's going to be mighty helpful while I catch up to the sixish hours of progress I made that I lost in a save file corruption. T_T

Haha! That was hilarious, those NPC's really had it in for you, didn't they? :laugh:

Right!?

Always great to see someone's reactions the first time they play through DQ1 ^_^

If you're playing the NES version then all I can say get comfortable; a good portion of the game is simply level-grinding so you don't get annihilated by the monsters later in the game, so as long as you keep fighting and leveling you're okay.  I suppose that was part of the early series' charm in a sense. :thumbsup: