Sign in to follow this  
Omegaplex

The Zenithia Games are getting more spendy

Glad I got them when I did.

Now if Suikoden II can be released on PSN as a PS1 classic.

I need a picture of the guy from Family Guy that goes "SMOKE" with an "EMULATE" tag.

Oh. Jesus.

Well, to elaborate a bit, things went like this:

Xenoblade was initially called Monado: Beginning of the World.  Nintendo back in '07 released the first initial screens at E3.  Awesome looking game for a Wii game, and definitely had a ton of buzz and free publicity from writers and the public.  Like Eal said, it was guaranteed to have an audience.  This is repeated again in another e3, I can't recall if it's the '08 or '09.  Same result, same clear and distinctive positive reaction from gamers and magazine/website writers alike.

Cut to the original Japanese release, which was back in '10, with a name change to Xenoblade.  The initial writer/creator was the same writer/creator for Xenogears and the Xenosaga trilogy.  A lot of buzz, things looked good, and Nintendo of America had registered the name in English, so we were "supposed" to get it.

A lot of people with good insider sources said it was coming but was constantly being pushed back, along with two other Wii RPG's: Pandora's Tower and The Last Story.  Though neither PT nor TLS, to my memory, were registered yet.  A lot of player pushback as well as '11 passed with nothing, and Operation Rainfall was set in motion by several peeved players who wanted to start a campaign that had a chance of success.  They mimicked the campaign for a Tales game, and several Mother 3 campaigns (though that's another story), but expanded it to approach the subject from a purely business perspective.  Gamers will pledge to buy the games on day 1, or at least while still new, thus ensuring Nintendo gets credit.

Several insider sources during the Operation Rainfall campaign stated Xenoblade's localization was finished already, but the company was sitting on it, with the project still greenlighted, but no plans on when they'll release it or what type of marketing campaign will be staged.  Cut to a couple of months later, Nintendo releases a press statement indicating Xenoblade will be renamed Xenoblade Chronicles for a European release.  NoA fans go ballistic.  Where's OUR version.  NoE trusted the fans, released it, and sales matched Japanese sales, and while initial sales numbers were based on real data, algorithms set them to higher than NoJ after some months.  OpRainfall expands the campaign and pushes forward.  A few months later, NoA sends out a press statement that Xenoblade Chronicles will be released as an "exclusive" Gamestop title.

Now to some gamers, this meant that Nintendo of America wasn't sure of success, and Gamestop pushed them into it.  What's clear is that Gamestop pushed for the game, but what's interesting is that up to this point, since the EU release, Amazon had put up a "reserve" slot for XBC for the US/Canada sites.  Their numbers were so high XBC was for nearly 2 whole months the top "reserve" game on Amazon, but no one knows exact numbers as Amazon never released them.  So the notion Gamestop is the reason for the release is questionable.

Whatever the case, Gamestop was the main distributor for XBC, however the contract with Nintendo did not make it truly exclusive, as apparently any individual store of any software retailer could call and order their own copies.  There were Walmarts, targets, and several mom and pop game stores with copies on release day as per reports online, but nothing on Amazon though.  I, and many others, had to cancel our preorders, but luckily Amazon had not taken any money, as it was just a placeholder, but still annoying.

NoA also made a deal with GS for "preorder" bonuses, but like all GS pre-order bonuses, they often oversell preorders and don't order enough of the bonuses, or managers give away stolen swag and claim there isn't enough (there were reports of this).  In fact, they didn't even ORDER enough XBC copies to fulfill all the preorders.  At this time the only known real numbers were Gamestop preorders two weeks prior to release: 17+k I forget the exact number.  This actually beat out the sales numbers for Japan and EU, both their known sales and algorithm additions.  At the same time Nintendo was also taking preorder numbers, and there were stories after the two week preorder number disclosure that Gamestop was still taking preorders and their numbers might exceed the initial print run as Nintendo can only account for orders up to a certain point prior to release and that this would be an issue.  Well it was.

Since we have no idea what the extra pre-order counts were, what Nintendo's pre-order counts were, nor what other stores who had sold copies on day 1 are, nor how many print runs and sales AFTER those pre-order numbers, it is impossible to know how well Nintendo did do.  One problem with this is because the deal was Gamestop was the Official retailer for XBC, NPD won't take official release numbers or anything afterwards.  So outside of pre-order number releases, and any personalized releases to other sources, there's no trusted source that would take or could take those numbers.  So XBC's overall US sales numbers COULD have exceeded 500k and we'd never know.  Unlikely I know, but a few things to consider:

XBC was release in the US on April 26, 2012.  XBC's only known number source was 2 weeks prior to release with many reports of a lot of preorders AFTER this point.  That number was just over 170k, and only accounted for Gamestop's preorders, not Nintendo's.  Gamestop's website is designed to automatically order games by popularity.  XBC was in front of even shooter games for other systems week after week after week for almost 4 months straight, from the end of April through early September, but sales were still strong enough that XBC remained not only on the front page of Gamestop.com, but also the top selling Wii game on Gamestop.com through the end of November 2012.  In December sales dropped because it stopped showing up on the front page, but was still the first game listed most weeks on Gamestop's Wii page.  So it was still the highest selling Wii game most of the time in December.  This stops in January of 2013.  Nintendo has no such method of showing popular games that I'm aware of for its online store.

According to some gamers, several Walmarts that had shipments on day 1 continued to receive shipments, indicating XBC was selling, and well enough in other stores that weren't "official" retailers to warrant ordering new copies.

Now cut back to December of 2012.  Up to this point the game was also selling well on ebay, but new copies could still be purchased at local Gamestops, could still be found at local Gamestops, and could be purchased from Nintendo.  Yet already Amazon resellers were selling new and used copies (not amazon itself), and ebay resellers were pushing copies, but at this point they were starting to go higher than the standard price, despite new copies being quite easy to access at normal prices.  Suddenly around late December there are topics all over about how hard it is to find copies, and several orders placed on GS and Nintendo were either cancelled or postponed for weeks, despite both sites still claiming the game was instock and allowing new sales.

January 2013 hits, and as stated above, there are no new copies online.  A few GS brick and mortars still have copies, but by the end of the first week of January, this quickly goes from 30-100 copies within a 50 square mile of nearly every major city, to maybe one store with 1-3 copies.  Then nothing.  At the same time Ebay prices spike within this same week, with NO news of the game going scarce yet, by nearly 3-4x.  Going up from 60-70 to in excess of 200-300 on average.  European prices are now the cheapest way to go, as even used GS copies are scarce and by the end of January they begin matching amazon prices, which start as low as 80, and as high as 5,000 (yes, 5,000, I know a joke right, but some people don't know how to play the market and really pull this kind of bs).  By the end of February though, they've evened out to about 120-180 average for new, highs in the 300's, and 70-120 for used.  Gamestop sets the used price around 80.  This stays as is until around August.

August 2013...the reprint BS.  Here's what I know:

1) Gamestop knows this game remains popular and stays at 120-180 new, 70-120 used online.  They know any used copies sell instantly at 80.  By instantly I mean instantly because many of us checked constantly in our areas for used copies, and they show up one day, even if there may be 10, and by the next day there's 0, maybe 1 left.  This prior to the August debacle.

2) Gamestop claims to have found a ton of used copies.  Every single report from every single person who has bought this, and I've counted over 200 separate posts by doing minimal skimming of the net and key gaming websites, where people bought the game and had an unused Nintendo code.  There are, as far as I know, not one person who purchased one of these August GS releases and did not find an unused redeem code.  Every post I've seen that mentions purchasing this has always found one, and the game always looks new and untouched, with a new case.

3) There are middlemen who purchase copies and resell them to gamer sites.  I don't recall the name, but there's one company that does this for Gamestop, and has records of buying new copies of Other M, selling them to Gamestop, and at the same time Gamestop suddenly has a plethora of "used" games to sell of Other M at the higher "used" game price because new they would still be required to sell at MSRP.

4) Many many many major bloggers, magazine, and online game site writers defend Gamestop's used games with a plethora of excuses.  Including them is the insistence that not everyone redeems their Nintendo codes for those coins.  This is true, but holds no water in the face of no evidence of anyone coming forward who purchased a "used" Gamestop copy and had a used Nintendo code or no code at all.  They all had a code card inside, and all codes were unused, period.  This has been repeated by many others who have done far more thorough checks on other gamesites.  The other explanation is GS was sitting on a ton of used copies, and the excessive extras and number of unused Nintendo Club Codes are due to obvious refurbished copies GS sent into Nintendo and Nintendo clearly placed in a new Club Code.  This still doesn't explain the sheer numbers of sales, posts, and why GS was able to slowly weed down the price to more reasonable $60 range sometime around the end of August and has maintained since.  Nor does this excuse account for...again, the lack of evidence of used games without redeem codes, and lack of used games with clear wear and tear, or any damage to cases outside of what GS stores due if someone buys the "floor" model.  Nor does it account for all these posters claiming the manual and everything was there.  I've bought used games before, often because I've had to due to costs and rarity.  About 80-90% of the time the manual's are either missing or clearly damaged (usually missing).

So basically Gamestop found a loophole, whether they used a third party to purchase and repurchase from them thus legally allowing the claim of "used" or they have some other legal loop to exploit to allow clearly "new" games to be sold as "used" games to increase the price above MSRP and sell for insane profits.  Doesn't help the case that GS has been having a lot of problems since downloadable games have become huge and there has been talk in the business world of GS either closing down its brick and mortar divisions, or at least closing a good portion of it as they've lost a lot of money with the recent Videogame sales declines since the massive decline in 2012.

Anyway, that's about it.  Things have been going this way ever since.  Most gamers will swear, based on the amount of circumstantial evidence and in many cases real evidence thanks to youtubers, twitter, instagram, and the like, for their uploads of their unused codes, perfect condition copies, and original shrinkwrap that one would only find from Nintendo "new", not refurbished or used, that GS pulled a fast one over on Gamers, and Nintendo did nothing to alleviate and correct what is obviously a shady business practice.  Not to mention the debacle of not releasing when they should have (like back in 2010, but then it probably wouldn't have sold as well).

• Upvote 1

Have you ever considered being a games journalist ignasia7? Because that was an article length piece you just posted, which is standard length for you.

• Upvote 1

I must concur. Jesus. 

Have you ever considered being a games journalist ignasia7? Because that was an article length piece you just posted, which is standard length for you.

:) I second this statement. I whole heartedly enjoyed your piece on THORDAIN!!!

Heh, yes, I've considered it.  I don't like forced deadlines though.  My writing is simply how I am.  I'm quiet most of the time until I have something to say.  I want to become a writer, but my core passion is in creative writing and storytelling, for which I'm currently writing like 8 books simultaneously.  Don't ask, I get ideas nonstop running in my head, and a good half of them I've put aside as notes for future projects.  So far one book is like 75% through the initial write, it's 100% outlined, and that is my planned first entry as an author.

After that point, my plan is to use money earned from writing to start a game development company.  I have several projects already mapped out pretty thoroughly, including an adult themed game that borrows heavily in gameplay and graphics from Mother 2.  Another that would play like a cross between any Tom Clancy shooter such as rainbow six, due to the team mechanics, and Elder Scrolls.  Another game that borrows heavily from DQ, and thus far that's it for fully fleshed out games.

After that I have other plans, such as educational games, Virtual Reality games that play like normal videogames, especially RPG's, but are designed to throw simple and complex problems with worthy rewards based on the level of completion.  Ideas for Aerospace and free energy, along with space travel...ya I actually want to see something akin to realistic interstellar travel beyond rocket production.

Dreams, and I'm still a long way from it, but I've had this planned out for about 8 years now.  There are a lot of complications...but eh.

I will say that it's a lot more realistic than my childhood dreams to be Godzilla or an F-15 Strike Eagle.  Yes, the actual plane, not the pilot, though by age 5 or so it developed into wanting to be a pilot, and Godzilla into wanting to study dinosaur bones (I used to have like 20, maybe 30 paleontologist books about dinosaurs at the age of 8, and none of them were considered "kid books", mum got me the real thing, but then we lived in New York City at the time, and I my favourite place to be outside of home or the Bronx Zoo was the Natural History Museum).

Sorry, got off track, but ya, writing is definitely one of my goals, and I've been working on it for awhile (four of my books have been in ongoing development since I was 15, from an idea I had back when I was 12...seen a lot of changes too, like they were initially 7 and 3 complimentary books with psychological profiles to explain the characters in the seven, but now it's all intermixed).

Haha even you're responses are very long. That's too funny. Good luck with your writings and other dreams though!

Does anyone know why DQV in particular ended up being so valuable? I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, but here in the UK a second hand DQIV is about £15 (Around $25) and DQVI can still be bought new for £12 ($20). On the other hand, a second hand copy of DQV sold on amazon the other day for Â£175 (nearly $290). The cheapest one I've seen was £40 and that was an American copy. 

I'm guessing that in Europe V was never reprinted but I can't understand how they've released enough copies of IV and VI for them to be easy to find but misjudged the demand for V so badly?

DQIV didn't do as well as SE wanted, so they had a more limited print run for DQV.  It eventually got reprinted in the US. Not sure about the UK.  DQVI probably got a higher print run due to the success of DQIX

Edited by The Mystical One

I got my copies of V after the reprint. Before then, I feared I would have to let a lot of money go to get just one copy.

If you still do not have one, I would suggest go for Amazon's US store and order from there, before it goes extinct again and the price rises without the hope of another reprint.

I no longer have any hardcopy DQ titles, sadly.

Well, I do have the mobiles, I guess I could condense them to APKs and put them on DVDs or somethin.

Why do you no longer have any physical Dragon Quest games? Didn't even keep the boxes?

Sold and traded over the years.

Well, in the end I paid £47 for it, which is about $75. In the end though, my choices are that or basically just accept that I'm never going to own it because if I won't pay £50 for it now I won't want to pay £80 a few years down the line.

BzIcTx2IMAEWuBv.jpg

I went to GameStop today to buy my SSBB4 for 3DS, and saw this...

Had to buy it again. 2nd cartridge.

That... isn't bad for V, IMO.

Not bad at all.

GameStop is practically an antique shop considering they only sell used games at this point. They don't care about the condition either. I've seen cases dirty and shot to hell and they'll stick a $6.97 sticker on it. The only difference between them and any old antique shop is you can actually find vintage stuff at good prices at an antique shop.

Look at what I picked up from gamestop this morning.

DSC_0173_zpsef08hcb6.jpg

• Upvote 2

I really wish I lived in America.

That's what all Americans think people outside of America think.  Please don't make us right.

That's what all Americans think people outside of America think. Please don't make us right.

I was waiting for someone to make that joke.

That's what all Americans think people outside of America think.  Please don't make us right.

Ha, well I don't really otherwise I'd get off my ass and move there. I'd love the opportunity to regularly shop for games in America, hunting bargains out and finding stuff which routinely has a massive premium added to it here because it's been imported. That said, I think the gun crime would scare me to much to ever really consider it.