Sign in to follow this  
DranzerX13

DQVIII Android Port (Reviews and Comments)

The android sdk license is in the ios version... Right there on the title screen...

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

Is the aspect ratio of the game really that squished? They should've had it wide-screen like the original, not tall-screen.

Or is there an option for wide-screen if the phone/device is held sideways/horizontally?

No, there's no option for horizontal play unless they changed from the original Japanese release.

No horizontal play. It would be nice if they added that and game pad support, but O know that's never gonna happen, so...

Pretty sure it still looks allright.

Is the aspect ratio of the game really that squished? They should've had it wide-screen like the original, not tall-screen.

Or is there an option for wide-screen if the phone/device is held sideways/horizontally?

It does look squished in places. The damage number looks really squished.

It does look squished in places. The damage number looks really squished.

I thought the damage numbers looked squished to! But I figured I was just imagining it.

I seriously doubt it'll ever run on the Play. It requires Android 4.0, and I -think- there might be custom roms for the Play that have it, but it's lower specs means it wouldn't run it.

It wouldn't even be able to download the APK directly. :/

It's funny, I checked the Apple Store reviews for DQ8.  A whole lot of complaints about it not being the same as the PS2 version.  It does reinforce an argument against enhancing stuff for other regions:  Remakes or ports won't necessarily be the way you expect them to be.

I would be curious to know how many people refunded their purchase with the Android game once they realized it wasn't a replica...  I'll buy it, because it *IS* the game we should've gotten back then =)

Its fair to want to know that information beforehand. I can understand feeling taken when you just paid $20 for a certain version of a game. They should probably leave some sort of message in the description but I guess the salty tears of the people who already bought it is enough notice to them. Personally, I'd want to flush out as many negative reviews as possible, but I guess that's just me.

I loved the voice acting and all that, but I really like how fast this game feels compared to the PS2 version.  The cut-scenes certainly go quicker when you don't listen to the voice acting and when the text appears all at once instead of scrolling.  Other various streamlined actions and being able to save pretty much anywhere and play while mobile makes this a better overall experience for me.  I think it's great to have both versions.  I can now experience it either way whereas if this was more similar to the (U) version from the PS2, there would be less variety in the DQ8 experience available to us.

I think the most questionable change they did was making the aspect ratio tall-screen and not retaining wide-screen which would've looked perfectly fine on a phone/tablet device. The aspect ratio difference is humongous, and does cause oddities like the squished damage numbers, or your limited field of view due to lacking screen width.

Maybe one day we can get a proper port/remake on a real gaming platform? :( If only SE, if only...

Is there any prepaids for Google Play/whatever you buy it from for Android? I'm not giving Google my credit card info lol.

But of course!

http://play.google.com/intl/en-US_us/about/giftcards/

It's funny, I checked the Apple Store reviews for DQ8.  A whole lot of complaints about it not being the same as the PS2 version.  It does reinforce an argument against enhancing stuff for other regions:  Remakes or ports won't necessarily be the way you expect them to be.

I would be curious to know how many people refunded their purchase with the Android game once they realized it wasn't a replica...  I'll buy it, because it *IS* the game we should've gotten back then =)

I would love to see a console port with added content to this game which I have a whole thread dedicated just to that.  I read the reviews and they were mixed at best overall from what I could see.  I prefer to just play the old playstation 2 version for now.  

Sign in to follow this