Sign in to follow this  
DranzerX13

DQVIII Android Port (Reviews and Comments)

The ones who received my PM's with the files needed to install the game, let me know how it goes with playing the game.

One of the most interesting changes when it comes to gameplay is that there is another way to save besides talking to the priest. Now you can also save on the world map.

Edited by DranzerX13
  • Upvote 3

It's actually really well done, performance is great. Some small hiccups that can and probably will get fixed. Touch controls aren't my favorite but they are not too bad. Hopefully we get an english version, and we probably will.

• Upvote 2

I think the port has been done really well.  The touch controls are really not that bad and I love the auto-run feature.  Saving on the world map is a big bonus for sure too.  The graphics seem to have ported well and I am amazed at how fast it runs on my phone.  So far, portrait mode doesn't bother me at all. 

Walking around in towns, there is a town map icon that scrolls with you and shows you nearby shops and stuff.  It would be nice to make that just a bit bigger, or have an option to make it bigger or remove it all together. 

The menus seem really well organized and I like how you can view your items by category including separating out the equipment into weapons, armor, shields, accessories etc.  That is very helpful for someone like me with limited Japanese skill.  One thing I miss though is the item / equipment icons that would accompany each item you had.  I don't know if they were try to reduce the size of the game's resources, but it was nice to have.  Not critical though, obviously.  You can see that some of these icons are still there in the game, for example if you smash a pot and there is an item in it, the item graphic will show on screen as it does in the PS2 version.  Same thing for pulling items out of treasure chests.

One thing that I found annoying was the use of Joker and Joker 2 sounds for when selecting some menu options.  I may record a sound clip just to better demonstrate the sound I am referring to, but I feel it has a noticeably lower quality sound to it than most other sounds in this game.  I was ok with it on the DS, but for a PS2 level game, it seems to detract from the quality a bit.

Anyway, overall I am loving it so far, and loving that I can play DQ8 on the bus now! I took these screenshots this morning chronicling my progress through the intro up to the point of accepting Valentina's request to find Kalderasha's crystal ball:

01-DQ8_Mobile.png

02-DQ8_Mobile.png

03-DQ8_Mobile.png

04-DQ8_Mobile.png

05-DQ8_Mobile.png

06-DQ8_Mobile.png

07-DQ8_Mobile.png

08-DQ8_Mobile.png

09-DQ8_Mobile.png

10-DQ8_Mobile.png

11-DQ8_Mobile.png

12-DQ8_Mobile.png

13-DQ8_Mobile.png

14-DQ8_Mobile.png

15-DQ8_Mobile.png

16-DQ8_Mobile.png

17-DQ8_Mobile.png

18-DQ8_Mobile.png

19-DQ8_Mobile.png

20-DQ8_Mobile.png

21-DQ8_Mobile.png

22-DQ8_Mobile.png

23-DQ8_Mobile.png

24-DQ8_Mobile.png

25-DQ8_Mobile.png

• Upvote 1

Wow, those models look great! But the texture quality is horrible.

The item icons from the PS2 version only showed in menus in the US version (maybe the PAL version too), as the japanese version used the classic DQ-style menus. I haven't had a chance to play that version, but I've seen videos.

• Upvote 1

I finally had a chance to play around with this. The framerate is a little jarring but the game is really nice looking. 

• Upvote 1

I finally had a chance to play around with this. The framerate is a little jarring but the game is really nice looking. 

Dq is a big enough seller in Japan they they might have had time to work out the framerate issue and still sell plenty of ports of DQ2 through 7. Since this was a decent seller here, is it possible they took the risk and rushed it out for a foreign release, considering Woodus' multi language text discovery?

With manufacturing and packaging costs not a factor, maybe a foreign port was viable?

Edited by redneckpride4ever
  • Upvote 1

I don't think it was rushed, or at least that's not the problem. It's sort of amazing that the game runs as well as it does. Look at the long term, we might only be two or three years away from phones that play this flawlessly. In the meantime they're collecting error reports and user data, using it to refine their PS2 emulation. By the time those phones come, they'll be ready with whatever PS2 games they can choose from their catalog while their competitors play catch up. They could could even create original games using their PS2 assets and dev kits.

In the short view, I think they look at it like this: what can we release in the immediate future that A) costs us next to nothing and B) will generate major revenue. In Japan, that is DQ. The games are more or less ready to go (DQ8 may have cost them more but they've been prepping DS games for a while and the old DQ mobile ports have been lying around) and the audience is willing to pay top dollar for them. 

And in the event that SE is prepping DQX and DQ7 for international markets, it makes absolute sense to start priming the market with smartphone ports. DQ8 has already been getting a lot of attention in the game press, the PS2 version was probably one of the most successful games in the franchise on a global level. And despite what you hear form fans, there are a lot of people playing games on their phones in the US. So it makes sense to start with DQ8, get the existing fans to install the DQ hub app on their phone. Now SE has a direct line to promote the DQ brand. 

2014, guys. If it's not happening now, it's basically over!

I don't think it was rushed, or at least that's not the problem. It's sort of amazing that the game runs as well as it does. Look at the long term, we might only be two or three years away from phones that play this flawlessly. In the meantime they're collecting error reports and user data, using it to refine their PS2 emulation. By the time those phones come, they'll be ready with whatever PS2 games they can choose from their catalog while their competitors play catch up. They could could even create original games using their PS2 assets and dev kits.

In the short view, I think they look at it like this: what can we release in the immediate future that A) costs us next to nothing and B) will generate major revenue. In Japan, that is DQ. The games are more or less ready to go (DQ8 may have cost them more but they've been prepping DS games for a while and the old DQ mobile ports have been lying around) and the audience is willing to pay top dollar for them. 

And in the event that SE is prepping DQX and DQ7 for international markets, it makes absolute sense to start priming the market with smartphone ports. DQ8 has already been getting a lot of attention in the game press, the PS2 version was probably one of the most successful games in the franchise on a global level. And despite what you hear form fans, there are a lot of people playing games on their phones in the US. So it makes sense to start with DQ8, get the existing fans to install the DQ hub app on their phone. Now SE has a direct line to promote the DQ brand. 

2014, guys. If it's not happening now, it's basically over!

WHich was basically my point. Any DQ would be a major revenue source in Japan. It seems logical to believe it possible that they jumped directly to 8 because it has at least some noteriety outside of Japan, hence proper for a foreign release. And its already been translated, so they may be porting the already translated ISO with some basic hacking for the touch screen interface.

If we get this, I'm getting a tablet. Even if I never play it and only go back to the PS2 version, I'm gonna do my part to vote with my wallet and spike up the DQ sales.

• Upvote 1

I just realized there's a big honking Unity logo in startup. This could theoretically be ported to consoles or just about anything.

Really Square Enix? You have all your own development tools, probably a ton of awesome, perfectly capable engine programmers, but you go with Unity3D? I have nothing wrong with the engine, but that just seems a little off to me.

Really Square Enix? You have all your own development tools, probably a ton of awesome, perfectly capable engine programmers, but you go with Unity3D? I have nothing wrong with the engine, but that just seems a little off to me.

Might've been cheaper than doing it themselves, they've had a rough couple of years financially.

Unity is probably used for the interface elements rather than the game engine itself.

I've been inspired by the release of this app, and have started playing DQVIII again. PS2 version. In japanese. Well, technically I started, but then had to leave so I didn't even have a chance to save in Farebury. But guess what? One of most annoying parts (which I somehow forgot to mention) is also not in the Japanese version. THOSE STUPID "HINTS" THAT "TEACH" YOU HOW TO PLAY A GAME AS BASIC TO PICK UP AS DRAGON QUEST. When playing the US version, why must the game tell you that when you're wiped, you loose half your gold and go to the last church, WHEN YOU CAN SEE THAT IT HAPPENS. Even in case someone didn't pick up on the loss of gold, just have a random NPC in Farebury say it like the beginning of ANY OTHER DRAGON QUEST GAME. (At least the English versions, I don't know about the japanese versions.)

A lot of modern day games contain a ridiculous amount of handholding. Some games show you the buttons you need to press in a certain situation (like when you're standing next to a door and the button you need to press to open that door is put on screen) and hints are less hints and more answer. However, it's a well known truth that Japanese games embrace the idea of challenge in a game whereas American games are more forgiving.

Yeah, in portal 2 it tells you constantly how to press buttons. I mean WTF?

Took some more pictures, so I thought I would share them.  One interesting thing I have seen is that the maps in dungeons don't need to be found anymore.  They are given to you automatically and you can start to use them right away.  Anyway, here are the screens:

26-DQ_Mobile.png

27-DQ_Mobile.png

28-DQ_Mobile.png

30-DQ_Mobile.png

31-DQ_Mobile.png

32-DQ_Mobile.png

33-DQ_Mobile.png

34-DQ_Mobile.png

35-DQ_Mobile.png

36-DQ_Mobile.png

37-DQ_Mobile.png

38-DQ_Mobile.png

Discovered another interesting addition to this game.  There is far more flexibility in the battles for what auto-strategy you can assign to your team.  For example, I can set Yangus up so that he will always use Skill A on Monster B for the whole battle.  Or I could have Angelo cast heal on Jessica every turn.  Once you set that up, you can just hit a single button to carry out the battle with the prescribed tactics. 

Another interesting feature that I think is a first occurrence in the series, is that you can assign tactics and auto-pilot commands to the hero as well.  Usually, you have to enter the commands for the hero, but now you could set him to use similar strategies as other team members or have him always use Gigaslash in every battle as long as you just press the go button.  I actually quite like being able to do that.

Anyway, here are some more screens.  Up to Alexandria now.

39-DQ8_Mobile.png

40-DQ8_Mobile.png

41-DQ8_Mobile.png

42-DQ8_Mobile.png

43-DQ8_Mobile.png

44-DQ8_Mobile.png

45-DQ8_Mobile.png

46-DQ8_Mobile.png

47-DQ8_Mobile.png

48-DQ8_Mobile.png

49-DQ8_Mobile.png

50-DQ8_Mobile.png

51-DQ8_Mobile.png

52-DQ8_Mobile.png

53-DQ8_Mobile.png

54-DQ8_Mobile.png

Unity is one of the best Android development platforms. :P

And when this comes? I will spend the 19.99 Squeenix will inevidebly price it.

Did anyone else get a code for some items in DQVIII via the DQ hub app? It looks like a magic water and... a genki ball!?

Not sure where I'm supposed to enter these codes. And yes, this is for DQVIII not DQX.

I had a push notification yesterday from one of the DQ apps, now I can't recall which one. I did finally get DQVIII to work on my phone, but it's not my cup of tea. Not really dragging, but too slow for my liking. It looks and feels just like the PS2 version, so good job there! I'm just not a mobile gamer.

Finally got around to trying it. Didn't run very well on my Xperia Tablet Z. Load times were bad and the frame rate drops a lot. The game is being rendered at 1200x1920 though. I'll have to try it on my S3. I noticed the game uses the midi music instead of the orchestrated which really sucks IMO.

• Upvote 2

Well, they had to do something to drop it from a possible 4.7 GB to under 2. My Galaxy S3 didn't do perfectly with it.

Saw alot of trailers on GAF, and will definitely pass up on this game. Feels abit slow and honestly playing this in portrait mode doesn't do the game justice. I think it should've been released on the 3DS or Vita, but then again SE is lazy remaking games from scratch

I just got a 2nd Gen Nexus 7 and fired it up for the first 30 mins. I think it looks and feels great on mobile. Wish it were in English :)

if the price is right, I would probably buy it just to support other releases, since it would probably run crap on my Kindle Fire HD.

• Upvote 1