Sign in to follow this  
King Zenith

Dragon Quest 1 Mobile Port - More than just a port

I'm using Android as well.  Can you take a screenshot of the error when it occurs?  I assume you are not referring to this error:

errorsample.png

... which is simply an indication that the news feed for the DQ Portal couldn't load since you don't have a network connection.  Clicking on the the DQ1 icon still launches the game, even if you fail to generate the news feed.

• Upvote 1

OK, I might just be mistaken. This time it was the portal error. The first time I encountered this, I was in a car, driving in an area with no service and the game wouldn't start. It was the other error screen, I posted it here previously but I forgot where. But my phone also shows data activity from the app and I haven't used it very much since the first week it was out. Maybe it does a check even when the app is off?

Maybe it does a check even when the app is off?

According to the data usage history on my phone, mine doesn't.  Glad to hear you only got the portal connection error this time.  Hopefully that other error message was something random or a one-time thing unrelated to DRM. 

Yeah, I guess it was a one time thing. I think I got confused because I had the iOS version first and then got the Android version a few days later. Also, SE and DRM so I assumed the worse....

Totally understandable.  I just wanted to find out for sure what was going on.  Didn't want the anyone to miss a chance to try it because they think there is DRM.

Thanks for checking that out!

Deleted the app from my phone to try to install my translation-in-progress version (which didn't work). Now have the real thing back on there, but can't seem to restore my in-app-"purchase" for DQI.  :( (It's been off my phone for a week or more, I kept forgetting to resync after the failed patch.)

I might use the save state editor to get back to where I was in the NES or SFC version.

Deleted the app from my phone to try to install my translation-in-progress version (which didn't work). Now have the real thing back on there, but can't seem to restore my in-app-"purchase" for DQI.  :( (It's been off my phone for a week or more, I kept forgetting to resync after the failed patch.)

I might use the save state editor to get back to where I was in the NES or SFC version.

Were you signed in with your Japanese iTunes account?

Yes I was.

Basically, the same thing just happened to me with the Android version. I restored my phone to factory settings and when I put the DQ hub back on, DQ1 was no longer unlocked. It did allow me to pay 300 Yen in-app to download it again, though :P

I don't have any yen... I'm not going to bother with trying to convert usd to yen. I'll just wait for an English release.

I am not too much into phones and I am quite ignorant about related things, so I will ask: is there a version that would work on Windows (for cell phones)?

5 hours? Wow, this game really has gotten easy. I guess that's not such a bad thing because it's simply a grindfest from start to finish. The game certainly hasn't aged well.

I guess it is a grindfest since now we know where everything is and do not need to explore. Even new players would probably just look for a walkthrough.

If we could forget about the key items and its locations, it would be less about grinding and more about discovering what to do and where to go.

I don't think there is a windows phone version. Those aren't even popular here, let alone in japan.

I am not too much into phones and I am quite ignorant about related things, so I will ask: is there a version that would work on Windows (for cell phones)?

There is supposedly a way to sideload android apps on a windows phone, but I don't know anything about it. 

It doesn't work, I tried it when I had a Lumia 521.

I guess I must be stupid... I looked for this and couldn't find it. How do I get this game? 

For ios, you have to create a Japanese iTunes account. On android I think you can download the app from [probably not necessarily credible sources] and use a hacked play store to pass the rights check. Not sure about android though, ask KZ/Ryu/someone who uses android.

I guess I must be stupid... I looked for this and couldn't find it. How do I get this game? 

Go here and then type in this: com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dqportal_gp

It will provide you with a direct link to download the APK.  Then just use your android device's package installer to install it for you once you have copied it to your phone.